Diplomacy3:1915 fall MOVEMENT (deadline: Fri midnite EST)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Diplomacy3:1915 fall MOVEMENT (deadline: Fri midnite EST)

Post by Grundbegriff »

So, like, I'm hosting a round of Diplomacy similar to the two that Remus has kindly hosted. (One reason I'm doing this is so that Remus can have a turn at playing.)

Stipulations:
  • 1. Each movement turn (spring or fall) will be two days long
  • 2. Each retreating/disbanding or building phase will be one day long.
  • 3. Orders may be marked "FINAL". If (and only if) FINAL orders are received from all players, the game will advance immediately. If any orders are not marked "FINAL", then the announced deadline for that turn will be honored.
  • 4. Any orders (including those marked "FINAL") may be rescinded until I announce in the thread that FINAL orders have been received from everyone or until the deadline passes (whichever comes first), and may not be changed afterward.
Imperatives:
  • A. Don't sign up unless you can get your orders in on time.
  • B. Don't sign up unless you're committed to following through.
Comments:
  • I'm stipulating a slightly faster pace than in Remus's games, because it seems to me (based only on the experience of those games) that most of the interaction among players by PM takes place in concentrated bursts, often on the day that orders are due. I'm also allowing acceleration of any turn through the delivery of "FINAL" orders.
  • I'm defining two imperatives: keep up, and don't bail. I'm doing so because I noted in Remus's games that some folks simply decided they didn't have time, and some threw in the towel and stopped issuing orders when it became clear they were losing, and some held up the game by failing to meet deadlines.
  • It's rude to bail when you're losing. (Why isn't this obvious?) This is a fair fight. If you're losing, stay in and lose with some dignity. Be a good sport instead of a poutyhead. Do it for the integrity of the game and the amusement of the folks who bested you. Don't fret; you'll get 'em next time.
  • It's rude to keep everyone waiting.
  • It's rude to commit and then bail because you've changed your mind. This forces a substitution that might radically alter the diplomatic situation, and it's deeply unfair both to the sub and to the players who were counting on you.
Avalon Hill 4th Ed. (2000) Rules (PDF)

Nations:
  • Austria:
  • Russia:
  • Germany:
  • Turkey:
  • France:
  • England:
  • Italy :
Sign-ups:
  • 1. Austin
  • 2. El Guapo
  • 3. Kelric
  • 4. Remus West
  • 5. Matthew
  • 6. Cesare
  • 7. Chaosraven
Assignments:
  • Austria: Austin
  • Russia: Kelric
  • Germany: Cesare
  • Turkey: Remus West
  • France: Chaosraven
  • England: Matthew
  • Italy: El Guapo
Tools

Full names:

Abbreviated names:

Starting position:
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'd like to give it another shot now that I get how it works.
Your ad here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sounds good to me. I'd prefer not to play as France if it's no trouble since I just played as France in Remus' game, but of course you are welcome to assign powers as you wish.
Black Lives Matter.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

In.

Austin is going down!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Woot! In.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Austin

Post by Austin »

Kelric wrote:In.

Austin is going down!
Turn on me and I'll scrap all plans and allow myself to be steamrolled while taking you down with me.
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:I'd prefer not to play as France
Good thinking. Y'all let me know (here or by PM) if there's a particular Power you'd prefer to play, or prefer not to play. I'll try to make assignments that meet everyone's wishes.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'd prefer not to play as France
Good thinking. Y'all let me know (here or by PM) if there's a particular Power you'd prefer to play, or prefer not to play. I'll try to make assignments that meets everyone's wishes.
And I suspect you won't have trouble finding someone to take France. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

That last game was a hoot and I'll second the faster pace. I'm in.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Welcome aboard! Any country preferences?
Cesare

Post by Cesare »

In.

I'd like to play as France or Germany, I've never played as those powers. Of course I'm fine with a random assignment too.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Nice. We only need one more player.

Last call for preferences.

I'll randomize the list of participants, randomize the list of powers, match the lists, and then tweak the random results to accommodate most or all preferences. I can only do this last bit if you tell me your preferences....

I'll be using the color-coded jDip map that shows controlled terrain. I found it more useful than the prettier map when I wanted to tell quickly what was going on.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:I'll be using the color-coded jDip map that shows controlled terrain. I found it more useful than the prettier map when I wanted to tell quickly what was going on.
The reason I did not use that map is the lack of territory names on it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I'll be using the color-coded jDip map that shows controlled terrain. I found it more useful than the prettier map when I wanted to tell quickly what was going on.
The reason I did not use that map is the lack of territory names on it.
You can turn that on and off with a selection on the View menu. Long names or short names.... ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't have any particular preferences other than the non-France one. Perhaps I can play the USA?
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:Perhaps I can play the USA?
Er... no.

However, it would be cool to play on a well-balanced western-hemi map. Do you know of one (maybe for next time)?

In general, do you have experience with (and opinions regarding) alternate versions of the game?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Perhaps I can play the USA?
Er... no.

However, it would be cool to play on a well-balanced western-hemi map. Do you know of one (maybe for next time)?

In general, do you have experience with (and opinions regarding) alternate versions of the game?
Nah, I've never played alternate versions of the game. They're easy enough to find, though, via google. And there's a great deal of discussion in the magazine at www.diplom.org/Zine
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I wonder how long an advanced Civ game would take in the forum...

I will volunteer to backstab Remus
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Chaosraven wrote:I wonder how long an advanced Civ game would take in the forum...

I will volunteer to backstab Remus
In an advanced Civ game, or in this game? And if you mean this game, do you have any preferences for which Power you'd like to play?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have a preference for being as far away from CR as possible. :?

If we are next to each other things will start out well then we will turn on each other the turn before it is wise for either of us to do so and everything will fall apart.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:I have a preference for being as far away from CR as possible.
Doesn't everyone?
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

A Plague on both your houses.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Grundbegriff

Re: Diplomacy -- 1901, Spring, Movement (deadline Sat midnig

Post by Grundbegriff »

It is spring of 1901. Movement orders for spring are due by Saturday, midnight EST, the end of 22 September.

If all orders are received and marked FINAL before the deadline, the game will advance. If any orders received are not marked FINAL, the deadline will be honored.

Austin

Post by Austin »

Great. Kelric + Remus
Your ad here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Great. Austin + Chaosraven.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven asked me to let you guys know he will be posting his work email and cell # so that he can be reached to discuss things when he is not home.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Looks like I will be working afternoons for a bit, so from 3pm to 11pm you can use my work email: bchriste @ severstalna.com

chaosraven @ wowway.com will reach me at other times, and you are welcome to call me at (313) 729 4694 at almost any time (my sleep patterns vary widely)
"Where are you off to?"

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I'm showing some people the ropes behind the scenes by PM. If you're lurking this thread and you're interested in learning how to play Diplomacy so you can join a game down the road, send me a PM and I'll include you in my instructional loop.

So far, I've sent some folks a Quick and Dirty Orientation to the game. As the current players of this game make their moves, I'll explain some of the reasoning behind those moves, clarify game mechanics, and generally provide commentary that will help newbies feel more comfortable with understanding the How and Why.

The goal is to enable more people to join the games. I'll only be sending this info by PM, not posting it in the thread (since there's a game underway!), so if you're interested in participating in this behind-the-scenes tutorial, PM me.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Any chance we can be using the army map with the full province names on it? It'd make things so much easier for me.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kelric wrote:Any chance we can be using the army map with the full province names on it? It'd make things so much easier for me.
I'll post both. Takes all kinds.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

NOTE:

I have orders of some sort from everyone.

I have FINAL orders from three players.

I have non-FINAL orders from four players. (If you're presently in negotiations with someone, this does not necessarily mean that he has already made up his mind or that you're being deceived. Players often submit tentative orders well in advance of the deadline just to be sure they don't end up holding-by-default if they accidentally miss that deadline).

Submitting non-FINAL orders means either (a) that you wish for the deadline (in this case, midnight tonight) to be enforced, or (b) that you wish to retain the option to change your orders between now and midnight.

That's fine. I just wanted to clarify that if you've submitted tentative orders, you can finalize them simply by shooting me a PM to that effect.

If everyone finalizes, I'll post results early. If somebody chooses not to finalize, I'll post results after midnight (whether in the wee hours or in the morning).
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

ORDERS:

Results for Spring, 1901 (Movement)
No retreating units; retreat phase skipped.
Order Results:

Austria: Austin
A bud -> ser
F tri -> ven (Bounced with rom (1 against 1).)
A vie -> bud

England: Matthew
F edi -> nwg
A lvp -> yor
F lon -> nth

France: Chaosraven
F bre -> mao
A mar -> spa
A par -> bur

Germany: Cesare
A ber H
F kie -> den
A mun -> kie

Italy: El Guapo
F nap -> ion
A rom -> ven (Bounced with tri (1 against 1).)
A ven -> tyr

Russia: Kelric
A mos -> ukr
F sev -> rum
F stp/sc -> bot
A war -> gal

Turkey: Remus West
F ank -> bla
A con -> bul
A smy -> con

OUTCOME: SIMPLE MAP

OUTCOME: FANCY MAP

No retreat phase is required. Orders for Fall Movement are therefore due in two days, by midnight EST at Monday's end.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Heh. Well played friends.
Your ad here.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Do y'all want these maps to be larger? I've shrunk them to 700px wide for folks who browse on a 1024x768. It's possible, though, that nobody's doing that.

What is your preferred width for the maps?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote:Do y'all want these maps to be larger? I've shrunk them to 700px wide for folks who browse on a 1024x768. It's possible, though, that nobody's doing that.

What is your preferred width for the maps?
These are very readable for me, or I can handle them wider. But as is is fine for me.
Your ad here.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

These work wondefully so if this is easy I'd keep using these.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

as they are is fine.
"Where are you off to?"

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

NOTE:

I have orders of some sort from everyone.

I have FINAL orders from two players.

I have non-FINAL orders from five players. (If you're presently in negotiations with someone, this does not necessarily mean that he has already made up his mind or that you're being deceived. Players often submit tentative orders well in advance of the deadline just to be sure they don't end up holding-by-default if they accidentally miss that deadline).

Submitting non-FINAL orders means either (a) that you wish for the deadline (in this case, midnight tonight) to be enforced, or (b) that you wish to retain the option to change your orders between now and midnight.

That's fine. I just wanted to clarify that if you've submitted tentative orders, you can finalize them simply by shooting me a PM to that effect.

If everyone finalizes, I'll post results early. If somebody chooses not to finalize, I'll post results after midnight (whether in the wee hours or in the morning).
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

ORDERS:

Results for Fall, 1901 (Movement)
No retreating units; retreat phase skipped.
Order Results:

Austria: Austin
Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

A bud -> vie (Bounced with gal (1 against 1).)
A ser S A bul -> rum
F tri -> ven (Bounced with rom (1 against 1).)

England: Matthew
Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 2.
F nth C A yor -> bel
F nwg -> nwy
A yor -> bel (Convoy path taken: yor→nth→bel.)

France: Chaosraven
A bur S A tyr -> mun
F mao -> spa/sc
A spa -> por

Germany: Cesare
A ber S A kie -> mun
F den H
A kie -> mun (Bounced with tyr (2 against 1).)

Italy: El Guapo
F ion -> tun
A rom -> ven (Bounced with tri (1 against 1).)
A tyr -> mun (Bounced with kie (2 against 1).)

Russia: Kelric
A gal -> vie (Bounced with bud (1 against 1).)
F bot -> swe
F rum -> sev
A ukr -> gal (Failed because Russia: A gal -> vie failed.)

Turkey: Remus West
F bla S A bul -> rum
A bul -> rum
A con -> bul
-=-=-=

OUTCOME: SIMPLE MAP

OUTCOME: FANCY MAP

No retreat phase is required. Orders for 1901 Build phase are therefore due tomorrow, by midnight EST at Tuesday's end.