NWN2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Dan_Theman wrote:For what it's worth, I believe the split version of "Good" and "Evil" is overseas-only. According to the Best Buy website (where I've got mine pre-ordered), it seems as if the U.S. version is black with silver highlights & writing. I believe it comes with both rings (one for me, and one for the future-ex-Mrs. Dan_Theman), although it doesn't have some of the other perks that the overseas versions get.
Ah - ok. I remember seeing those different boxes on the website but never bothered to actually diig into them. Like I said, I honestly don't care for all the doodads in collector's editions so didn't really look anymore into it - sorry for the misinformation.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm pretty sure those system specs (i.e. 3 GHz CPU) are the recommended specs, not the minimums. Here are the specs that an Obsidian rep previously stated, though they could have changed:
Recommended:
- 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
- 1GB System Ram
- ATI Radeon X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows XP
- 512MB System RAM
- 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
- 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 4.6GB free hard disk space
- DirectX 9.0c (included)
- DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
- Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework for toolset (included)
- Broadband connection for multiplayer online play
- Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Cards:
- ATI Radeon X1900 series
- ATI Radeon X1800 series
- ATI Radeon X1600 series
- ATI Radeon X1300 series
- ATI Radeon X850 series
- ATI Radeon X800 series
- ATI Radeon X700 series
- ATI Radeon X600 series
- ATI Radeon X300 series
- ATI Radeon 9800 series
- ATI Radeon 9600 series
- ATI Radeon 9500 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Massena wrote: I can meet the "old" specs, and I can just barely meet the "Desslock" specs. But if the specs in Hamlet's link are the "actual" specs, I'm screwed. That said, I had preordered before all this new info about sys reqs came out, so I'm definately getting it. That business in Hamlets link about a 3 gig machine and 6800+ is so far off of anything I've heard, but if it's accurate, I'll be shelving it (and perhaps ranting) for a bit. If it works though, I'll post my system and quality of play stuff.
I'm not buying those as the minimum specs (from the preview, that is). Surelyt hose are the recommended, if anything.

My own machine is a p4 1.8, 1 gig of ram, and a Geforce 6200. I just miss the specs Desslock posted (for those not in the know - p4 2.0, 1 gig of ram, Geforce 6600. Or maybe it was 6800).

Huh - I suppose the entire toolset is a .net creation. Interesting.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

When are those specs from, because they seem to have changed within the past couple of weeks (or at least that's what Desslock stated but I never really saw anything about it anywhere else). It's odd too because everything I've heard says the graphics, while nice for a CRPG, aren't really anything that great.

Yeah, it's interesting that there's about a dozen plugins for the toolset already. Those that are worried about their machines, have you downloaded the toolset and tried it on your box?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

IceBear wrote:When are those specs from, because they seem to have changed within the past couple of weeks (or at least that's what Desslock stated but I never really saw anything about it anywhere else). It's odd too because everything I've heard says the graphics, while nice for a CRPG, aren't really anything that great.

Yeah, it's interesting that there's about a dozen plugins for the toolset already. Those that are worried about their machines, have you downloaded the toolset and tried it on your box?
The specs I quoted above were recently posted in the NWN2 forums at Bioware and are supposedly from the Toolset readme.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

IceBear wrote:When are those specs from, because they seem to have changed within the past couple of weeks (or at least that's what Desslock stated but I never really saw anything about it anywhere else). It's odd too because everything I've heard says the graphics, while nice for a CRPG, aren't really anything that great.
Well, historically minimum and recommend specs are kind of bullshit - if you don't mind turning off whizz-bang features and possibly running at lower resolutions. Other things being equal, I'd expect that to hold true here.

Though it's still interesting that they'd raise the specs without early preview cries of "wonderful graphics!".
I didn't think it was available for use for just anybody. Was I wrong? bear in mind I didn't order a collectors/limited edition.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Peacedog wrote:
Well, historically minimum and recommend specs are kind of bullshit - if you don't mind turning off whizz-bang features and possibly running at lower resolutions. Other things being equal, I'd expect that to hold true here.

Though it's still interesting that they'd raise the specs without early preview cries of "wonderful graphics!".
I didn't think it was available for use for just anybody. Was I wrong? bear in mind I didn't order a collectors/limited edition.
No, you're not wrong, but it is available to download if you know where to look. I guess if you were wondering if your machine can handle it, running the toolset might be a test
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

The game is out in Isreal now. A couple people have posted in the official forum already that bought the game today in Isreal. The have the NWN2 tag under their names, so it's legit.
My Gamertag: Hetz OO
PSN ID: Hetz76
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HetzOO
Animus

Post by Animus »

Hetz wrote:The game is out in Isreal now. A couple people have posted in the official forum already that bought the game today in Isreal. The have the NWN2 tag under their names, so it's legit.
Ahh, super deja vu.
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Hetz wrote:The game is out in Isreal now. A couple people have posted in the official forum already that bought the game today in Isreal. The have the NWN2 tag under their names, so it's legit.
Bah, lucky bastards. EB drone today said it ships tomorrow for sale on the 1st.
Thry

Post by Thry »

Woot coming in at the bottom of the listed Geforce FX 5500!

Yeesh I need to upgrade.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Animus wrote:
Ahh, super deja vu.
No kidding. Didn't that happen with the original, too? Israel got it like 2 days before anyone else.
rotc1983

Post by rotc1983 »

I am looking forward to this game...Hopefully the Best Buy I work at will get it in soon (hahahahhahaahahha :P) and I will be able to pick it up on time. No shipping + my discount makes for some good times :D
igbe

Post by igbe »

Direct2Drive has it up for pre load. This nice thing about this title is this little note on the page.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (Pre-Order and Pre-Load)

Pre-Order and Pre-Load the game today! Play it as soon as it is available!

PLEASE NOTE: Official game patches WILL WORK with the D2D version of Neverwinter Nights 2.

Igbe
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

I went to go get my Merchant's Friend today, but it seems I can only d/l the toolset. Anyone been able to get the Merchant's Friend yet?
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

I went to go get my Merchant's Friend today, but it seems I can only d/l the toolset. Anyone been able to get the Merchant's Friend yet?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As far as I know, the Merchant's Friend is not available for download yet.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Why doesn't the Direct2Drive site list when the game will be playable once it is preloaded?
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
jg93

Post by jg93 »

This is one game I would NOT buy through Direct2Drive. Dev's are notoriously late in patching these versions of the game if they patch them at all. Cavet Emptor.
JG93

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f*ckin’ beatin’s. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back." Al Swearingen, Deadwood
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Direct2Drive is also notorious for encrypting files needed for modding. I wouldn't really recommend them for any game. If you're a euro gamer looking for a direct download version, try GamersGate; I got my Sword of the Stars from them (before D2D got pissy and complained to lighthouse and got exclusive rights for north american distribution) and it was quick, easy, and hassle-free.
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

I hate encoded cabinet files in Digital Purchases. Neither Stardock or Paradox do that.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

IceBear wrote:As far as I know, the Merchant's Friend is not available for download yet.
My pre-order card says it will be available when the game is released, so it should be available Tues. or Wed.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Incendiary Lemon wrote:I hate encoded cabinet files in Digital Purchases. Neither Stardock or Paradox do that.
GamersGate encrypts the install file, but not the actual game files once the game is installed. At least, that's how it worked for SotS.
knob

Post by knob »

jg93 wrote:This is one game I would NOT buy through Direct2Drive. Dev's are notoriously late in patching these versions of the game if they patch them at all. Cavet Emptor.

Not supporting D2D, but did you read the post? The retail patches (As in, the patches used for the regular game) WILL work with the D2D version.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Zurai wrote:At least, that's how it worked for SotS.
I had the same experience with Doomsday.
McCrank

Post by McCrank »

Its unlocked on D2D, installing now, 82MB patch 1.01 available after install, taking forever to patch!

-Chris
jeansberg

Post by jeansberg »

From the CD-key-required forum:
Im in and LOVING it...and not in Israel, Pennsylvania
To Pennsylvania, let's go!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

BTW - it looks like patch #1 will be out shortly which includes the DM Client, 9 new druid spells, and some druid feats.

Some of those bugs look scary (depending on how often they occurred, but it's nice to see that Obsidian and Atari are keeping their support promises).

Oh, one thing I saw someone from Isreal, who has the game, complain about is the fact that there wasn't a lot of facial customization for your character. Apparently it's better than NWN1, but not a whole lot better. The good thing is, is that people have apparently been making lots of new heads in the toolset so expect to see some heads to download shortly (there are hundreds of heads for NWN1 right now so I'd expect the same for this one).
Neverwinter Nights 2 – Version 1.01 Patch Notes

New Stuff

DM Client – A beta version of the Dungeon Master Client is now available. You can access it from the NWN2 Launcher, or by running nwn2.exe with the –dmc switch. This allows you to start a multiplayer game in which you can have a great deal of control over creating, managing, and commanding creatures, placeables, and more. Over the next three monthly patches we will be continuing to add features, fix bugs, and improve the interface.
New Druid Spells – Druids have been granted 9 new spells, one for each level. In addition, the feat Natural Spell has been added. Druids that take the Natural Spell feat may cast spells while Polymorphed or Wild Shaped.
Level 1 - Foundation of Stone: This spell grants a target immunity to knockdown, but reduces their movement speed.
Level 2 - Body of the Sun: The caster’s body emanates fire, burning nearby creatures.
Level 3 – Jagged Tooth: This spell grants a targeted animal the Keen property on one of its natural weapons.
Level 4 – Moonbolt: This spell creates a bolt of energy that deals strength damage to living creatures and knocks down undead, giving them penalties on attack rolls and saving throws.
Level 5 – Rejuvenation Cocoon: The target of this spell becomes encased in a regenerative cocoon, where they are cured from poison and disease and regenerate health.
Level 6 – Tortoise Shell: The caster gains a natural armor bonus of +6, plus an additional 1 per every three caster levels to a maximum of +9.
Level 7 – Swamp Lung: This spell causes victims to fall prone for 1-6 rounds, during which time they can catch disease.
Level 8 – Storm Avatar: This spell infuses the caster with the energy of a storm, making them immune to missiles, hasting them, and adding damage to their attacks
Level 9 – Nature’s Avatar: This spell grants a targeted animal a series of very powerful buffs.
Water Reflection/Refraction – Water is now more visually exciting! Users have the option to toggle Water Reflection and Refraction on in the Options Menu under the Advanced Graphics tab. Note: These settings can cause slowdowns on older hardware.
Client Packs – Module makers can now create Client Packs in the toolset, which can be placed in clients My Documents\pwc\ folder to allow users to connect to Multiplayer Games for which they do not have the module. These .pwc files contain only the data absolutely necessary to run the module on the client side are useful if, for instance, you are running a persistent world and do not wish to allow clients to open your module with all of its areas, creatures, and scripts visible.

Bug Fixes

General

Input in Single Player games should now be much more responsive. Previously, input commands could lag for up to several frames before taking effect in-game. This is no longer the case.
Broadcast Commands are now more reliable and last longer before companions will revert to their default behavior.
The “Loot All” button would sometimes loot all of the items from a container but would not close the window or remove the icons. This will no longer occur.
The player can no longer become stuck in a cinematic style cutscene by switching characters immediately as the cutscene begins.
Multiplayer

The game will no longer crash if you switch back to your character after ordering one of your companions to barter with another player.
The Chat box, both in-game and in the Gamespy Lobby, will no longer overrun when players type long messages.

Effects/Spells

Fixed several instances where the type of damage was not specified in a spell’s description.
The descriptions for Bless, Divine Shield and Shield Other have been updated.
Isaac’s Greater Missile Storm and Isaac’s Lesser Missile Storm will no longer target allies on difficulty modes lower than D&D Hardcore. Additionally, they will select their targets more fairly now.
Magic Fang now grants the proper bonus to animal companions.

Interface

Long quest names will no longer be cut off in the Journal.
Longer target names now fit underneath the targeting window.
The Scimitar +2 will no longer have a Rapier icon.
Items could occasionally become lost when moving them in the inventory with the game paused. This will no longer occur.

Toolset

Users can now add .mod files as well as modules in directories to campaigns.
The toolset could previously enter a state where it would crash when saving a module to a directory. This can no longer happen.
The default NWN2 load screen is now available in the toolset.

Original Campaign Fixes - Warning: Spoilers below.

Global:

Fixed several minor spelling and grammar issues.
Fixed several instances where dialogue text did not match the Voice Over for a line.
Fixed some instances of traps not working throughout the game.

Act 1:

Fixed an instance where players could reach Skymirror without Elanee.
Slaan now drops items when killed.
Fixed Zeearie’s mouth not animating after the player defeated her.
Fixed an inconsistency in Jochris’ cutscene.
Fixed an issue which could cause two Waterdeep Emissaries to spawn.
Wolf will now look the same in his cutscene in the Merchant Quarter as he does in the rest of the game.
Fixed an infinite XP exploit when returning to West Harbor and speaking with Retta Starling.
Thugs no longer appear in the same spot when re-entering the Neverwinter Docks district.

Act 2:

Reduced an influence check for Grobnar during the Trial.
Fixed the cutscene with Koraboros triggering early at Shandra’s Farm.
Fixed the Sun Soul Art quest not being added to the journal.
The player now receives the proper number of quest items after defeating the Shadow Reaver in Act 2.
Turning in Arval’s journal will no longer give an invalid reward.
Fixed an instance where Nevalle referred to Female PCs as Male.
Fixed an infinite quest reward loop in Zaxis’ dialogue
Players will no longer get stuck on the dialogue between Zhjaeve and Aldanon in Multiplayer.
Soothing Light now performs the proper effect.
Healing Lord Tavorick after he goes down but before he speaks to you will no longer break progression.

Act 3:

The game could sometimes become stuck when leaving Fire Giant camp through the Area Transition – this will no longer occur.
The quartermaster’s armory will no longer appear as red tunics.
Siege Towers have been given the proper sound set.
Retta’s dialogue will no longer drop if you speak to her before Danan.
Prior Hlam is now available in Neverwinter City during Act 3.
Players can no longer bypass the black portals in the Gauntlet.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

jg93 wrote:This is one game I would NOT buy through Direct2Drive. Dev's are notoriously late in patching these versions of the game if they patch them at all. Cavet Emptor.
Official Patches work with the D2D version of NWN2.

Installing the game now! :)
My Gamertag: Hetz OO
PSN ID: Hetz76
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HetzOO
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Bastage :)

I'm so tempted to get it from Direct2Drive if I can't get it in the stores today (which I expect not). Considering the pre-sales toolkit was over 2G, what the heck is the download size for this sucker? Just 4G, or is it on more than one DVD?
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

IceBear wrote:Considering the pre-sales toolkit was over 2G, what the heck is the download size for this sucker? Just 4G, or is it on more than one DVD?
It's listed as 4.5 Gigs.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sigh - now I want to go buy it now so I can start downloading so I can play before tonight, but rather have a physical copy for this one and can't afford to buy it twice :)
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

IceBear wrote:Sigh - now I want to go buy it now so I can start downloading so I can play before tonight, but rather have a physical copy for this one and can't afford to buy it twice :)
I hear you on that one.

Personally, I'm working on a big project at work right now, but plan to celebrate when I'm done (which will hopefully be in 3-4 weeks) by buying a new graphics card and a copy of NWN2. I console myself by telling myself that at least all of you will have discovered the bugs for me and hopefully things will be stable and happily patched before I get a chance to play.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Well maybe I will be able to play this afterall, it is just my video card that is holding me back it seems. My system is a P4 3.2, 1gb ram and an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Arkon wrote:Well maybe I will be able to play this afterall, it is just my video card that is holding me back it seems. My system is a P4 3.2, 1gb ram and an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb.
It's time to upgrade that card, anyway. Investing in a new card at this point would probably make newer games look better and extend the life of your rig significantly.

EDIT: I have the same specs except that I have a 6800gt. I plan to add another gig of ram and posibly a new video card in a year or so. I fully expect to get another 2 years out of the machine.
Owner: 4OTP Pittsburgh Pirates
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Poleaxe wrote:
It's time to upgrade that card, anyway. Investing in a new card at this point would probably make newer games look better and extend the life of your rig significantly.

EDIT: I have the same specs except that I have a 6800gt. I plan to add another gig of ram and posibly a new video card in a year or so. I fully expect to get another 2 years out of the machine.
I'm kind of facing upgrade questions myself. I think for about $350 or so I could get a new processor and a far better AGP video card (I'll have to track down trhe processor, though), and get another year to year and a half out of my machine easy. It could use it - I love Civ 4 but performance could be much better.

OTOH, my machine will be 5 years old this march. All I've done since I built it is double the ram and add a better video card. I'd just as soon wait and save for a new machine (already started saving, in fact). It's temping to try and give it a shot in the arm now, though.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That's pretty much what I've been doing Peacedog. I'll put together a high end system (for the time) and typically add some more RAM and update the video card can get 4-5 years out of it before I start over with a new box :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Actually, I changed my mind. I ALWAYS play a rogue/sorcerer and since I haven't had anyone play a warlock in my pen and paper game yet I think I'm going to give that a try.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Peacedog wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:

I'm kind of facing upgrade questions myself. I think for about $350 or so I could get a new processor and a far better AGP video card (I'll have to track down trhe processor, though), and get another year to year and a half out of my machine easy. It could use it - I love Civ 4 but performance could be much better.

OTOH, my machine will be 5 years old this march. All I've done since I built it is double the ram and add a better video card. I'd just as soon wait and save for a new machine (already started saving, in fact). It's temping to try and give it a shot in the arm now, though.
You said you have as 1.8, right? I think in your position I would definitely try to put together a new box. It's painful I know, but I think you're about due.

I try to get four years out of a machine. In the past I have extended it for five, but I find that last year is often frustrating.
Owner: 4OTP Pittsburgh Pirates
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Poleaxe wrote: You said you have as 1.8, right? I think in your position I would definitely try to put together a new box. It's painful I know, but I think you're about due.

I try to get four years out of a machine. In the past I have extended it for five, but I find that last year is often frustrating.
This one has been frustrating for me as well, at least when I try to dip my toes into the deep end (so to speak). I play lots of shareware/smaller games so the machine obviously does super for that. But it can get frustrating with Civ 4. I had to give up on Homm V (not that I was particularly sad about that). I'm worried if it will be able to handle Spore.

Other things being equal, I'd be saving for a new machine right now with every penny I could spare. They aren't equal, though, so I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the year shakes down.