THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by LordMortis »

For your area or in general? I thought it was a dry winter and so far it's been a dry spring. I've been happy about this. I dunno about the plants.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:02 pm For your area or in general? I thought it was a dry winter and so far it's been a dry spring. I've been happy about this. I dunno about the plants.
Greater Boston specifically. New England's climate is getting wetter over the long term.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't checked the numbers, but we've been getting a ton of rain here, even for an Indiana spring. It's ruined much of this year's coveted window weather so far, as even high 70s after it's been raining is so humid that it's miserable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I still haven't turned the heat off. Looks like this week will be the first one without lows in the 40s.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:58 am I still haven't turned the heat off. Looks like this week will be the first one without lows in the 40s.
I haven't turned off the air conditioning in over a year. :lol:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:58 am I still haven't turned the heat off. Looks like this week will be the first one without lows in the 40s.
I want to live where this is so.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:09 pm
I want to live where this is so.
It's been a chilly spring. We're in for a few days of summer weather starting tomorrow, then it's back to cooler days by this weekend. Ima turn off the heat tomorrow and hope it can stay off until fall.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I broke down and turned on the AC two days ago. I'm pretty good about letting 50 degrees cool air in at night and locking it in the house before the weather hits 65. Only our nights are only going down to the mid 60s and the days are getting toward 90. That and my new mattress seems to love retaining heat. I need to do something about that because I give off a lot of heat and prefer it to move away from me. I can heat my small house in spring and autumn enough with body heat and cooking to turn the heat off while the nights are still in the low 40s and the days in the mid 50s. That's not so good for keeping the house below 76 even when the days are only hitting 80. That and the sun make my small house in to an oven, even with all the blinds drawn in to darkness all day every day. I need to become a creature of the basement again. Put some furniture, a functioning laptop, and a functioning TV down there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The last 2 days, severe storms were predicted. All we got was about 30 seconds of drizzle, enough to deposit a coating of dust on my newly-washed car. In anticipation of the rain that never came, I fertilized the lawn and put out new grass seed, as well as planted some bushes, flowers and veggies that I'm sure would like a drink. Now the next chance of rain is this weekend. I'll have to blow up my water bill now. Drought season has started early, just like summer (92 today, it's still in the 80's now).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We didn't get the rain last night, but the winds were strong. Lots of downed branches today.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Not much good news for those of us on the East Coast

What you need to know about record-breaking heat in the Atlantic
Waters across the Atlantic’s tropical belt — extending from the coast of Africa through the Caribbean — are hotter now than in any other late May on record, with over 90% of the area’s sea surface engulfed in record or near-record warmth. The extent of marine heat has never been greater heading into a hurricane season, outpacing by wide margins the previous late May record-holder in 2005, a year remembered for one of the most active and destructive hurricane seasons in modern history.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:13 am We didn't get the rain last night, but the winds were strong. Lots of downed branches today.
Yeah, my fire pit is begging to be ignited.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow, I never knew they talked.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:00 pm Not much good news for those of us on the East Coast

What you need to know about record-breaking heat in the Atlantic
Waters across the Atlantic’s tropical belt — extending from the coast of Africa through the Caribbean — are hotter now than in any other late May on record, with over 90% of the area’s sea surface engulfed in record or near-record warmth. The extent of marine heat has never been greater heading into a hurricane season, outpacing by wide margins the previous late May record-holder in 2005, a year remembered for one of the most active and destructive hurricane seasons in modern history.

:shock:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd say it was a good run, but, well...

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:47 pm Wow, I never knew they talked.
Well that's because you cut out their tongue, didn't you?

Didn't you!?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NOAA has released its 2024 Atlantic hurricane season outlook... oh dear :roll:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Damn!. That'll certainly exacerbate this issue-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... nt-health/
On the worst days, when the backyard would flood and the toilet would gurgle and the smell of sewage hung thick in the air, Monica Arenas would flee to her mother-in-law’s home to use the bathroom or wash laundry.

“It was a nightmare,” Arenas, 41, recalled one evening in the modest house she shares with her husband and teenage daughter several miles north of downtown Miami.

She worried about what pathogens might lurk in the tainted waters, what it might cost to fix the persistent problems and whether the ever-present anxiety would ever subside.

Residents in neighborhoods around Arenas’s have similar tales to share — of out-of-commission toilets, of groundwater rising through cracks in their garage floors, of worries about their own waste running through the streets and ultimately polluting nearby Biscayne Bay.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Speaking of hurricanes, our local weather station also mentioned that it has been several decades since we've gone this far into the calendar year without a named storm. Mind you, it's not that the Atlantic isn't trying, as we have a disturbance out there now, although no development is expected.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We are expecting record high temps in the nineties this holiday weekend. We are also awaiting the start of the rainy season. It normally kicks in about Memorial Day weekend but nothing so far in the forecast. The forecaster noted that in 1998 the rainy season didn't start until the first week of July :shock:

And speaking of weather...

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today marks the beginning of the 2024 hurricane season, as every single news outlet in Central Florida has mentioned today :roll:

So far not a named storm at all, which is fairly unusual. However, almost all the 30+ sources noted by our local weather folks on Spectrum note that this will be an above average to intense :shock: season

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Waterpark opened today. Mid-60's and rain all day. Last weekend, it was nice. Tomorrow will be no rain and a little warmer, but still not waterpark weather. I have 24 hours to decide whether to get MiL a season pass -- she goes home in 2 weeks, but 2 days will pay for itself.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looks like we're in for a very pleasant week -- dry, comfortable temps, not much humidity. I shall enjoy it while it lasts.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Here in central California we have yet to have a day over 100’, but next Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be around 105’. Yea, that is hot.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:25 am Here in central California we have yet to have a day over 100’, but next Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be around 105’. Yea, that is hot.
I remember central CA enough to remember the joy that was summer. And, honestly, I'd prefer the 110 degree days in Fresno over the 90 degree days with 75% humidity here.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:52 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:25 am Here in central California we have yet to have a day over 100’, but next Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be around 105’. Yea, that is hot.
I remember central CA enough to remember the joy that was summer. And, honestly, I'd prefer the 110 degree days in Fresno over the 90 degree days with 75% humidity here.
Having experienced near 100’ temperatures with ridiculous humidity in Washington DC and Des Moines, I much prefer our dry heat.
Black Lives Matter