2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

OctoCon XXVIII - May 10-11, 2024

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: OctoCon XXVIII - May 10-11, 2024

Post by Zarathud »

I’d love to see the Detroit folk again.

Or anyone else from the Solium Infernum games. I think it’s only me and Archinerd.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Not if I see you first! :twisted:
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Pics! We want pics!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

side note: man, this image from the movie has me thinking the new Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes has gone in a drastically different direction.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

For folks coming in, I forgot they are tuckpointing the building. Be careful coming in.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Will they be pillowminting, too?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:25 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:50 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:48 pm I feel like this should be an unspoken rule, but if you stop by, wear appropriate pants.
I haven't worn my spandex in years. I bet they are almost translucent by now.
So.. kind of like a spring roll then?
I just threw up in my mouth.
Years ago, I was riding with some friends in the Boulevard Lake Front Tour (basically, a ride through hoods you'd normally get killed in, finishing with a ride down the lakefront to U of C). My friends were rather slow, and there was this huge dude wearing spandex overalls. They were stretched so tight they were see-through, he kept winding up in front of me. I finally got tired of staring at his gaping hairy asshole, excused myself from my friends and sprinted the last 5 miles to get the hell away.
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:32 am Image

side note: man, this image from the movie has me thinking the new Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes has gone in a drastically different direction.
So...this is the new Planet of the Apes game?? Nice.
Looks like a ranger with a pet.
But wait, which one is the pet?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Fardaza wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:32 am Image

So...this is the new Planet of the Apes game?? Nice.
Looks like a ranger with a pet.
But wait, which one is the pet?
Obviously they take turns.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Small turnout tonight, but made up for it with quality. Played a new game to me, It’s a Wonderful World (I think). Liked it a lot. Then lost bigly in a game of Welcome to…. Finished up the night with 3 5 player games of Gunfight Royale, the board game version of the Gunfighters Ball minis game. Only picture I took: Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Sooo... do we have OOers that are in witness protection or something?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes, the tableau builder was Its a Wonderful World. It’s the best part of Terraforming Mars with its drafting/tableau building.

In addition, I played Last Aurora which was a post apocalyptic race game. Messed up the last turn by managing my crew poorly, but caught up. Turned out to be a close game.

Only a dozen donuts, but they were all chocolate. Mmmm.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Punisher wrote:Sooo... do we have OOers that are in witness protection or something?
I just think work demands are prevalent. And Mother’s Day. I’m expecting a few friends to stop by tomorrow.

My sister is still isolating with her kid, after figuring out the kid seems to catch everything (which is what preschoolers do). So her crew won’t make it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:38 am
Punisher wrote:Sooo... do we have OOers that are in witness protection or something?
I just think work demands are prevalent. And Mother’s Day. I’m expecting a few friends to stop by tomorrow.

My sister is still isolating with her kid, after figuring out the kid seems to catch everything (which is what preschoolers do). So her crew won’t make it.
I was more referring to the fact that the pic is hiding their identities..
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, I had to work yesterday and the wife had a girls night event in the evening so I was with the kids. Today another school fundraiser, art class and getting the kids to wrap their Mother's Day presents. I may try to run by but it's not looking great.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:34 am

I was more referring to the fact that the pic is hiding their identities..
Did you see those pointy elbows? I'd be hiding my identity, too.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Game of The Thing underway. Or trying to get underway.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're holding it in a nursing home? Are the OOers in the other direction? :|
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We old, man. We old.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Notice that hepcat is, indeed, wearing pants.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can someone do a left to right of who the partici "pants" are?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think it's Samson reading the rule book there.
Z is eating a donut.
And I recognize Seppe in the background.

Hey Seppe! Miss you, man.
:wub:
RMC

Post by RMC »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 am I think it's Samson reading the rule book there.
Z is eating a donut.

That's Hepcat reading the rulebook.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

RMC wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 am
Unagi wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 am I think it's Samson reading the rule book there.
Z is eating a donut.

Yeah, I know.

That was a (far too) obscure biblical joke referencing Samson and Delilah, and Samson's amazing hair.
:D
RMC

Post by RMC »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:49 am
Z is eating a donut.

Yeah, I know.

That was a (far too) obscure biblical joke referencing Samson and Delilah, and Samson's amazing hair.
:D
Ahhh... And now that you say that, it's funny. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That’s the back of Archinerd on the left.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Who is the fine gentleman that's mind controlling him?
Zarathud

OctoCon XXVIII - May 10-11, 2024

Post by Zarathud »

My shirt: It’s not hoarding if it’s board games. Gifted by my wife, who has a cabinet for her extra yarn.

I just realized I am licking that donut. Very funny. And tasty.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z is eating a donut.

Lies! Hepcat is a svelte 21 year old!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My brain still sees you as Carrot Top.

And health data is much easier to pay attention to when it's coming from a Mok.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mok has a very different meaning on urban dictionary than I suspect you intended. Or not. I don’t know and shouldn’t presume.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Different Mok. I have no idea what his, uh... other qualifications are.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lesson learned on my part: never google a name if you can't figure out what it means and then open the Urban Dictionary definition result.

Although I'm slightly ashamed of not remembering what a Mok was.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z is eating a donut.

Not reading. The book is just a prop that hepcat uses to pretend he hasn't already memorized the entire thing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Had a good time. Thanks to everyone, especially hentzau. Hope the donations were decent.

Played The Thing with hepcat and some friends, and was discovered as the monster on Turn 1. Archinerd and my friend just “knew” and got lucky, not sure what else I could do. That led to me challenging the humans the rest of the game but unable to stop their rescue helicopter. I did kill hepcat, as they let him be the alone cooking food which made him my dinner. Everything else fell apart — no food, no heat and no electricity at the end. But they had the one weapon which prevented me from attacking as they tried to get better weather. Nicely balanced but it is hard to come back from that situation.

Also played Horrified with Hentzau. We faced off against Dracula and the Creature from the Lagoon. We kept control of the board, never being in too serious trouble in the starter scenario. The game came back to me quickly having played twice before, and it’s easier at 2 heroes vs. 4 heroes because we didn’t have extreme variability before our next turn. The monsters draw a card to see if they act after each player acts — with high player counts, the monsters can go 2-4 times before each player’s next turn. Monsters going only 0-2 times made a big difference.

Got in a half game of Townsfolk Tussle. While you want to beat the bad guys, you can win by getting knocked out with the right goal cards. We won but lost to the player who wanted to die in the final battle. I’ll be painting these now that hepcat pointed out how long I’ve had the game. I’m looking forward to the expansion as it supposedly has some streamlined rules. It’s a good game that lasts a little longer than it should.

Played two more games of Its a Wonderful World. The last game included an expansion which broke the guaranteed resource economy and created some crazy engines. There are interesting opportunities but was too much for the last game of the night. Rather than having a close score, a few players were definitely unable to keep up.

Looking forward to the next one. I’d like to get Mosaic: A Story of Civilization to the table next time.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 pm
Looking forward to the next one. I’d like to get Mosaic: A Story of Civilization to the table.
That's one I haven't heard of! Is it about trying to beat the length of time it takes you to actually set up and play a game?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Mosaic on BGG

It’s a Civ game with cards and a table presence that provides some idea (but not a complete one) of the current game state, much like Terraforming Mars. It has a Civ feel with enough abstraction to feel epic. It plays in 2 hours once you get going — and turns go fast while you do one thing at a time.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm Mosaic on BGG

It’s a Civ game with cards and a table presence that provides some idea (but not a complete one) of the current game state, much like Terraforming Mars. It has a Civ feel with enough abstraction to feel epic. It plays in 2 hours once you get going — and turns go fast while you do one thing at a time.
Fardaza wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 pm
Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 pm
Looking forward to the next one. I’d like to get Mosaic: A Story of Civilization to the table.
That's one I haven't heard of! Is it about trying to beat the length of time it takes you to actually set up and play a game?
Yeah. I was trying to pull off some humor involving the name of the game. Maybe I should have used quote marks. As in ...

"Mosaic: A Story of Civilization to the Table"

Or maybe I should just let it go and move on. :oops:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 pm Archinerd and my friend just “knew” and got lucky, not sure what else I could do.
As we said many times, heading straight for the weapons out of the gate was pretty suspicious. :P
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It turned out getting a flamethrower was what saved you all from my Things! I was right (but would have made it go wrong for you)!