2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Israel–United States relations and associated politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Israel–United States relations and associated politics

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm malchior's posting style is what it is at this point, and it's already been discussed plenty. Personally I like to imagine him as a southern gentleman whose honor has been besmirched, which helps for me at least.
I'm not so much besmirched as at a level of disgust with the discourse here. People who point out that Israel is committing atrocities are belittled, yelled at, told they are silly, incessantly questioned as propagandists, and generally treated like crap. And then you folks have the nerve to complain about tone and posting styles?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm malchior's posting style is what it is at this point, and it's already been discussed plenty. Personally I like to imagine him as a southern gentleman whose honor has been besmirched, which helps for me at least.
I'm not so much besmirched as at a level of disgust with the discourse here. People who point out that Israel is committing atrocities are belittled, yelled at, told they are silly, incessantly questioned as propagandists, and generally treated like crap. And then you folks have the nerve to complain about tone and posting styles?
I know, and people who question some of the posts are sociopathic racist war crime apologists. It's all deeply unfair. Who knew that a discussion about Israel could go off the tracks? But like I said...at this point tone discussions are just spinning our wheels, so we'll leave it at that.

Just know that you're on my list!
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sir, I have been besmirched!

That works for me. Definitely softens the tone. :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 pm
I know, and people who question some of the posts are sociopathic racist war crime apologists. It's all deeply unfair. Who knew that a discussion about Israel could go off the tracks? But like I said...at this point tone discussions are just spinning our wheels, so we'll leave it at that.

So I point out that people are being shitty, and your response is to model the shitty behavior with grade-school level antics? Weird flex.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Posting is hell, too.

Foghorn Leghorn: For-I say fortunately I always carry a spare set of feathers.
Foghorn Leghorn: That dog’s like taxes, he just don’t know when to stop.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

malchior wrote:

So I point out that people are being shitty, and your response is to model the shitty behavior with grade-school level antics? Weird flex.
Or maybe recognize that this is an Internet forum, that none of us are under any obligation to conform to others’ morality or philosophy no matter how frustrating some might find that, that we may have different posting styles and tones, and that extending grace towards others, whether it be their attempts to to ease tension or to converse on complex issues, may not be a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:

I mean, kind of. My natural instinct when I encounter overly dramatic self-serious language is to attempt to deflate it with humor. For better or worse, I suppose.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:21 pm
malchior wrote:

I mean, kind of.
There is no kind of here.
My natural instinct when I encounter overly dramatic self-serious language is to attempt to deflate it with humor.
How is the above "funny"? The problem here isn't whatever you think is self-serious language. It is how you and others aren't treating some of us with basic respect. As demonstrated here. Getting snippy at times is definitely straying into some of same waters but this is pretty far out into total lack of respect. Like making me feel unwelcome here levels of disrespect. But that's probably just me being too sensitive. :roll:
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

malchior wrote:

I mean, kind of. My natural instinct when I encounter overly dramatic self-serious language is to attempt to deflate it with humor. For better or worse, I suppose.

I think by piling on Malchior, this is no longer humor but more like bullying.

Maybe you don't realize that. If it is just you posting that, it can be seen as humor. With people piling on Malchior one after another, it is no longer funny.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm good for a pile on if it's warranted. In this case? All I'm seeing is abusive behaviors. It's kind of surprising how openly abusive it is to be honest. I just don't get how laughing it off as humor after another paragraph of abuse can be seen a different way. Anyway, these are the times we live in I suppose.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:26 pm I'm good for a pile on if it's warranted. In this case? All I'm seeing is abusive behaviors. It's kind of surprising how openly abusive it is to be honest. I just don't get how laughing it off as humor after another paragraph of abuse can be seen a different way. Anyway, these are the times we live in I suppose.
I guess we'll never know why you've received similar feedback from multiple people in this thread.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You weren’t openly accused of being an apologist for genocide, a racist, or other serious accusations of being a vile person, so please forgive me if I call out the hypocrisy of your position demanding respect from other posters. Or your views being disrespected.

(BTW, I’m acknowledging in advance that I’m not going to be forgiven by Melchior or VR, and that I’m being a dick posting this observation)

Edit - to be clear who I’m referencing.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:09 pm
malchior wrote:

I think by piling on Malchior, this is no longer humor but more like bullying.

Maybe you don't realize that. If it is just you posting that, it can be seen as humor. With people piling on Malchior one after another, it is no longer funny.
I know, but I'm just posting for myself, I don't intend to start a pile on. But I also acknowledge that I'm in something of an unhealthy relationship with this thread, where I keep trying to quit it but keep relapsing. But I think I'm finally done. The snark is more symptomatic of being unable to find a way to have a productive discussion here. The snark's cathartic but ultimately not especially helpful.

"I'll add you to my list" still kills me, though. :)
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:26 pm I'm good for a pile on if it's warranted. In this case? All I'm seeing is abusive behaviors. It's kind of surprising how openly abusive it is to be honest. I just don't get how laughing it off as humor after another paragraph of abuse can be seen a different way. Anyway, these are the times we live in I suppose.
I guess we'll never know why you've received similar feedback from multiple people in this thread.
What you mean is the same small group of people have been abusive. I'm going to keep using that word because that what I consider it now. I've been here many years and never have made a complaint like this. At this point I don't know what to do other than walk away.

At any point you could have let up. Instead you have taken every opportunity to keep heaping on the abuse. You've misconstrued my words. You've put words in my mouth. You've tone policed me. You've mocked me. You just keep piling on. I haven't seen legit bullying in years but I can't think of another word for. Heck at any point you could have just stopped doing it silently.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:32 pm"I'll add you to my list" still kills me, though. :)
Mostly because like many other things you ascribed to me it is because you are misconstruing it. It was a "list" of people acting shitty. You've definitely set me straight on that one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 pm
What you mean is the same small group of people have been abusive. I'm going to keep using that word because that what I consider it now. I've been here many years and never have made a complaint like this. At this point I don't know what to do other than walk away.

At any point you could have let up. Instead you have taken every opportunity to keep heaping on the abuse. You've misconstrued my words. You've put words in my mouth. You've tone policed me. You've mocked me. You just keep piling on. I haven't seen legit bullying in years but I can't think of another word for. Heck at any point you could have just stopped doing it silently.
Look, I am genuinely sorry for my role in this mess. And I probably have miscontinued posts along the way. I would just leave you with the thought that perhaps you have also misconstrued posts and also contributed to the deterioration of this discussion.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:32 pm
I know, but I'm just posting for myself, I don't intend to start a pile on. But I also acknowledge that I'm in something of an unhealthy relationship with this thread, where I keep trying to quit it but keep relapsing. But I think I'm finally done. The snark is more symptomatic of being unable to find a way to have a productive discussion here. The snark's cathartic but ultimately not especially helpful.

"I'll add you to my list" still kills me, though. :)
Some of us did the Homer-backing-into-the-bushes thing many pages ago. I haven't followed who said what to whom, but there's plenty of toxicity to go around.
Victoria Raverna

I'm sure IDF will claim that some Hamas fighters were in the building:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm certain of the following:

1. We can't be certain of the exact numbers or exact details
2. We don't need the exact numbers or exact details to have enough evidence to know that both Hamas and Israel crossed the line
3. Collateral damage and civilian deaths are an absolute in war. They will happen.
4. There are things that can be done to mitigate #3, and those things are required by international law
5. Israel seems to be ignoring #4 because they don't wanna do that. Because.

This is two piles of shit slinging shit at each other, and we have people arguing about which one smells the best.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

So I guess Israel = Hamas?

Both are terrorists except one is supported by US/Biden?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:19 pm So I guess Israel = Hamas?

That isn't even remotely what anyone said.

Your witch hunt has gotten out of hand. You've completely abandoned reason. Have a beer. Have a Snickers. Do something.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm

Your witch hunt has gotten out of hand. You've completely abandoned reason. Have a beer. Have a Snickers. Do something.
Then maybe I misunderstood what "you're certain of" speech.

I thought you claimed that both sides are as bad as each other.
Victoria Raverna

You know what is funny to me with all this "Hamas is bad" defense?

It seems like now it is acceptable to some people to defend bad action of a country they like by comparing it to action of a terrorist group then say "look it is not that bad, terrorist is worse".
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It doesn't matter who you have in the White House - Democrat, Republican, Biden, Trump, Obama, the lunch lady from the White House cafeteria. They're going to support Israel. Israel has been a staunch US ally for decades.

The idea that Biden is going to somehow reverse decades of US policy towards an ally essentially overnight, is pure fantasyland. Even if that ally is acting atrociously. This is a new situation, and they're walking one hell of a diplomatic tightrope. And yet a bunch of nerds on a message board are at each others throats because they're not fixing it in a week. :doh:
Victoria Raverna

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:37 pm It doesn't matter who you have in the White House - Democrat, Republican, Biden, Trump, Obama, the lunch lady from the White House cafeteria. They're going to support Israel. Israel has been a staunch US ally for decades.

The idea that Biden is going to somehow reverse decades of US policy towards an ally essentially overnight, is pure fantasyland. Even if that ally is acting atrociously. This is a new situation, and they're walking one hell of a diplomatic tightrope. And yet a bunch of nerds on a message board are at each others throats because they're not fixing it in a week. :doh:
Is it so hard for US to put condition on military aids to Israel? I don't think people expect US to stop supporting Israel or not be an ally to Israel. I think it is reasonable to expect US to put condition on their support if they really want Israel to stop acting atrociously.

Also it is not in a week. Israel had been acting this way since October. I think it is unreasonable to expect US to try to pressure Israel by stopping aids or put condition at October. Maybe not that reasonable to expect it at November. Now it is almost at the end of January.

Do you think the response here will be different if it is Trump that is the president right now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All I said was that both sides are bad. Not the same, not equally bad, not identically motivated, just that both sides are in the wrong. Over and over again, your preconceptions in this seem to be skewing what you take away from every conversation toward the argument you expect people to be making rather then the argument that they actually are.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:37 pm You know what is funny to me with all this "Hamas is bad" defense?

It seems like now it is acceptable to some people to defend bad action of a country they like by comparing it to action of a terrorist group then say "look it is not that bad, terrorist is worse".
What you don't seem to get is that almost nobody here is making that excuse, yet you seem to be trying to convince every person here that they're wrong - about a point that they're not even making.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump would be pouring gasoline on this dumpster fire and handing out matches.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 pm All I said was that both sides are bad. Not the same, not equally bad, not identically motivated, just that both sides are in the wrong. Over and over again, your preconceptions in this seem to be skewing what you take away from every conversation toward the argument you expect people to be making rather then the argument that they actually are.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:37 pm You know what is funny to me with all this "Hamas is bad" defense?

What you don't seem to get is that almost nobody here is making that excuse, yet you seem to be trying to convince every person here that they're wrong - about a point that they're not even making.
Maybe not you but I have seen a lot of pro Israel people making the comparison. I think I remember some posts here doing just that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For the record, I'm pro-people not killing each other over religious bullshit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:49 pmMaybe not you but I have seen a lot of pro Israel people making the comparison. I think I remember some posts here doing just that.
Your memory is wrong. The only posts doing that were yours trying to put words and arguments into other people's mouths, including mine. Repeatedly.
Victoria Raverna

Then maybe I didn't remember correctly. It is also possible I misunderstood. It is easy to forget that just because someone bring up bad deeds of Hamas when we're discussing bad deeds of Israel doesn't mean they want to compare them, right?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enlarge Image
Repeatedly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:27 am Then maybe I didn't remember correctly. It is also possible I misunderstood. It is easy to forget that just because someone bring up bad deeds of Hamas when we're discussing bad deeds of Israel doesn't mean they want to compare them, right?
Comparing two things isn't the same as equating two things.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:27 am Then maybe I didn't remember correctly. It is also possible I misunderstood. It is easy to forget that just because someone bring up bad deeds of Hamas when we're discussing bad deeds of Israel doesn't mean they want to compare them, right?
Comparing two things isn't the same as equating two things.
To me to compare a country and a supposedly good country to terrorist organization is not a good look for that country.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can I compare North Korea with South Korea?

In any case, you're still reading way too much into things. You're adding all sorts of intent and subtext to what people are saying that wasn't actually there.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:34 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm

Then maybe I misunderstood what "you're certain of" speech.

I thought you claimed that both sides are as bad as each other.
In a crazy turn of events, I'm kind of with VR here. Blackhawk, maybe it's not how you intended to come off, but when you say:
I'm certain of the following:

This is two piles of shit slinging shit at each other, and we have people arguing about which one smells the best.
I don't think it's surprising that VR took that to mean you were equating Hamas and Israel and their respective actions. This comment clearly reads to me that you don't see much difference between the two.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Blackhawk hasn’t equated the two — and forcing others into making that argument is a necessary part of VR and makichor’s tactics, because it makes IDF terrorists.

The US and UN established the fundamental principle of international law that the aggressors who attack another nation have declared war, and the defender is entitled to respond militarily. And that terrorists who cross borders and try to shelter in another nation are subject to attack.

While there are principles about the conduct of war, the first principle is military aggression from a state or terrorist organization makes them a valid target. Hamas and Gaza are both. There are reasonable arguments that Israel violated several principles or their actions caused undue suffering, but calling it genocide or war crimes has a specific meaning. Death tolls and examples of deaths DO NOT establish sufficient proof, it only illustrates the suffering and consequences of the war. It demands an emotional response, not a logical one.

VR and malichor make very serious charges which require evidence they haven’t provided, and try to make it stick by delegitimizing the other side, or twisting their points into something more convenient to their narrative. Pointing out Israel has any justification for engaging in military operations challenges their demand for a unilateral cease-fire or pressure on Israel. The position that it’s a mess with no clear answers also challenges their repeated calls to action against Israel and war. Never-mind that it’s factually accurate.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 am Blackhawk hasn’t equated the two — and forcing others into making that argument is a necessary part of VR and makichor’s tactics, because it makes IDF terrorists.

The US and UN established the fundamental principle of international law that the aggressors who attack another nation have declared war, and the defender is entitled to respond militarily. And that terrorists who cross borders and try to shelter in another nation are subject to attack.

While there are principles about the conduct of war, the first principle is military aggression from a state or terrorist organization makes them a valid target. Hamas and Gaza are both. There are reasonable arguments that Israel violated several principles or their actions caused undue suffering, but calling it genocide or war crimes has a specific meaning. Death tolls and examples of deaths DO NOT establish sufficient proof, it only illustrates the suffering and consequences of the war. It demands an emotional response, not a logical one.

VR and malichor make very serious charges which require evidence they haven’t provided, and try to make it stick by delegitimizing the other side, or twisting their points into something more convenient to their narrative. Pointing out Israel has any justification for engaging in military operations challenges their demand for a unilateral cease-fire or pressure on Israel. The position that it’s a mess with no clear answers also challenges their repeated calls to action against Israel and war. Never-mind that it’s factually accurate.
For what it's worth, I would have read Blackhawk's statement that way too. I said upthread that there are no clean hands at this point. While I think Israel was justified in responding to Oct. 7 and moving to reduce Hamas and minimize a security threat, I think some of their methods of doing so have been problematic at best and reprehensible at worst, and I definitely do not embrace Netanyahu's vision of the future where Palestinians never have autonomy over their own lives and the lands they've lived on.

You're legally correct in your explanation in terms of how the US and UN view aggression. However, there isn't carte blanche do whatever countries want in terms of responding to that aggression or in terms of occupation of captured land. Hence the Security Council resolutions calling for a ceasefire and the case for war crimes presented at The Hague. And it was not exactly helpful to Israel's case for Netanyahu to say (paraphrasing): "The Hague won't stop us."

Moreover, absent their boots being on the ground as part of a forensic investigative team in Gaza, it's not up to VR and Malchior to prove each item to your satisfaction, or to the standards in a court of law. It doesn't make them automatically right, but it doesn't make them automatically wrong either unless there's definitive evidence either way. I'd note that it has been difficult to accurately gather information for multiple reasons. It's for people reading to draw their own conclusions from their own sources they trust, whether that be you, random Twitter account, or the BBC.

Your explanation is one reason people are not always fond of lawyers, and I work in the legal field. For international Kissinger realpolitik, you're on safe ground. But many people don't need the law to determine the value of other human beings, or whether actions are right or wrong. If someone reads a story about Israel advocating that the refugees go to a certain region, or follow a certain path, to clear out of the way of harm, and then Israel bombs that same region, it's not simply emotional to say that's questionable at best and bad at worst. That's moral. You seem to have a hard time understanding that moral reactions, while sometimes intertwined with emotional, are valid. VR, Blackhawk, Malchior, YellowKing, myself and possibly others have offered reactions/judgments based on our morals. Just because they don't match up with your legal definition or standards of proof doesn't render those invalid. They might be unpersuasive to you, and they might be antithetical to the way you look at or approach the world, but they're not invalid.
Last edited by Dogstar on Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pmI'm not so much besmirched as at a level of disgust with the discourse here. People who point out that Israel is committing atrocities are belittled, yelled at, told they are silly, incessantly questioned as propagandists, and generally treated like crap. And then you folks have the nerve to complain about tone and posting styles?
I admit I never thought I'd see some posters on OO handwave away war crimes using the same "ends justify the means" logic Hamas used on Oct. 7 but here we are.

It's pretty disgusting.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've lost track--whose war crimes are we condemning?

IMHO, both Hamas and the IDF have behaved monstrously. Both deserve condemnation, and neither is excused by the other.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.