THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

World internet speeds

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

World internet speeds

Post by RunningMn9 »

Max Peck wrote:I'm old enough to remember when you had to specify the number of bits in your bytes, because it wasn't a given that there'd be 8 of them.
Wat? How old are you?!?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Max Peck

Re: World internet speeds

Post by Max Peck »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:24 pm
Max Peck wrote:I'm old enough to remember when you had to specify the number of bits in your bytes, because it wasn't a given that there'd be 8 of them.
Wat? How old are you?!?
Old enough to have dealt with the repercussions of legacy hardware from the days before engineers settled on standard byte/word sizes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

World internet speeds

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spectrum rolled out a frequency shift, the vendor botched some of it, and my surge protector didn’t like the new frequency band, so was severely limiting throughput.

Problem resolved for now.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought Id bring back these classics.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Both my car ins and internet jumped up this month. Not huge but every little bit adds up for me. It went up nearly $20. I called but theres no promotions for me. So I told them to drop my speed from 600 to 300 and save $10. Bah. They said check back there might be a deal next month ya never know. In fact its usually raise my speed back up and save more than this lol. Stupid system.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I lucked out tonight. Im really drunk. Im slurring my words even. But I call Charter Spectrum not hoping for much. Talk to one girl in billing who trans me over to god knows where,,,and I meet a beer guy. Lol. He brews his own even. he suggests Bison beer by Longcreek.....which I will try. He give me a discount which lowers my price to $19 frickin dollars wooo...but I apply speed to my pipe....500 down...half a gig ....$34 a month..I take it for 12 months and leave. I am happy..... an d dizzy.

Enlarge Image

Just like that..phone call and lowered my bill by $20 an raised my speed by 200 megabytes per second.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I live in the country and have done every type of internet, and was even on the waiting list for Elon's Satalite service. Then 5G came into the area, and I was getting fairly good speeds. However, a few weeks ago I get a call that they ran Fiber past my house, and would I like to switch?

So I laugh, and say, are you sure you can hook my house up, it happens all the time that they somehow get it wrong. But nope, Fiber is here, so I am getting almost 1 TB down, and 750 MB up. Price is higher, but the speeds are the best I have ever had. So very happy. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Montag

Post by Montag »

RMC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:45 am I live in the country and have done every type of internet, and was even on the waiting list for Elon's Satalite service. Then 5G came into the area, and I was getting fairly good speeds. However, a few weeks ago I get a call that they ran Fiber past my house, and would I like to switch?

So I laugh, and say, are you sure you can hook my house up, it happens all the time that they somehow get it wrong. But nope, Fiber is here, so I am getting almost 1 TB down, and 750 MB up. Price is higher, but the speeds are the best I have ever had. So very happy. :)
Um, I am assuming GB down as opposed to the 1000 times faster TB down.
words
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably feels like 1 TB to him. Leave him be :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:27 am Probably feels like 1 TB to him. Leave him be :)
Lol, Typo.
Yes, GB
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

RMC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:12 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:27 am Probably feels like 1 TB to him. Leave him be :)
Lol, Typo.
Yes, GB
I'm going to push even further and suggest it's Gb vs the 8x faster GB. Xfinity has 6Gb but as far as I am aware, nobody offers GB for home internet in the US.

Yes, I am being pedantic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EPB near me but NOT me nab dabbit has 25Gb on offer.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:19 pm EPB near me but NOT me nab dabbit has 25Gb on offer.
https://epb.com/fi-speed-internet/?#choose-your-plan

only $1500/mo
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an automated voicemail from Spectrum internet saying Ive just lost my 40% discount I was getting and to call them back at the caller id number. This isn't a scam call btw its actually charter spectrum trying to hook you into a new deal. He said I could get what I get now for a flat rat of $30 a month for 36 months.

BUT......I have to pay the full $300+something up front and wont be billed for those 36 months. That sure sounds like a contract to me...actually sounds like the old cell phone contracts from the late 90s early 2000s. I dont have that kinda cash to do that shit. Fucking companies just give me the deal or a better deal than even that and let me pay monthly. wtf.

Its 2 weeks until check and I gotta make whats in my cabinets last until then. Got nothing left in bank or cc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:09 pm This isn't a scam call btw its actually charter spectrum trying to hook you into a new deal.
Just to be clear - how did you confirm this?

If you ever receive any messages like that, do NOT contact the company at the number they provide. Find their number on their website, call it, and ask there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:09 pm Got an automated voicemail from Spectrum internet saying Ive just lost my 40% discount I was getting and to call them back at the caller id number. This isn't a scam call btw its actually charter spectrum trying to hook you into a new deal. He said I could get what I get now for a flat rat of $30 a month for 36 months.

BUT......I have to pay the full $300+something up front and wont be billed for those 36 months. That sure sounds like a contract to me...actually sounds like the old cell phone contracts from the late 90s early 2000s. I dont have that kinda cash to do that shit. Fucking companies just give me the deal or a better deal than even that and let me pay monthly. wtf.

Its 2 weeks until check and I gotta make whats in my cabinets last until then. Got nothing left in bank or cc.
Ok, stop. Stop.

It took me about 20 seconds to find that this is a known scam. Example. Another example.

Never, never contact a company back on something unsolicited with the number that they provide.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

God you're probably right. After I just fell for that last scam. Ive turned old.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He is right. Here’s an idea: ANYTIME you get a phone call or email that involves money, run it past us first. :wink:

Also, if ANYONE tells you you have to pay for something with gift cards or crypto, it’s a scam. Just remember that.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But if hepcat call about Hairbucks gift cards, that’s totally legit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:04 pm God you're probably right. After I just fell for that last scam. Ive turned old.
Here's something to consider: scammers share successful "catches". Which means your information is now floating around as a potential mark. Basically for the foreseeable future you literally cannot trust a single phone call (and probably most emails) that ask for any financial information.

Also, read the r/Scams subreddit for the sheer variety of possible scams out there. Some are obvious but many are quite sophisticated and insidious.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:04 pm God you're probably right. After I just fell for that last scam. Ive turned old.
Here's something to consider: scammers share successful "catches". Which means your information is now floating around as a potential mark. Basically for the foreseeable future you literally cannot trust a single phone call (and probably most emails) that ask for any financial information.

Also, read the r/Scams subreddit for the sheer variety of possible scams out there. Some are obvious but many are quite sophisticated and insidious.
This is a good point. You might even consider trying to get your number and/or email account changed. If nothing else, make a new Gmail account (they're free) that you only use for financial matters. If you are contacted by any of those companies on your old email, you'll know something is off.