Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:40 am Just summon my jellybelly friend, run to a far distance, and ping them with magic till they die. :horse:
Despite hearing this from quite a few different sources, ! have found him to be pretty useless.
Very slow and not able to take much damage.
Am I doing something wrong?
My jelly doesn't do much damage but soaks up way more than any other summon I currently have. The wolves do more damage, but they get wiped out pretty quickly against bosses, despite being upgraded a few times. I have another summon that summons some dude that does decent damage (and costs 107 FP!), but he just doesn't last very long either. A few other summons I have (skeleton militia, skeleton mages, noblemen) all die too quickly to be useful. So basically the jellyfish is the only summon I have that can distract bosses long enough for me to take them down with magic.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I hit lvl 80 yesterday and I was starting to walk through just about everything, bosses and all. And then I hit the Northwest part of the map (Sorry I don't know it's name) that is mostly on top of cliffs and literally every single major boss up there whipped my butt the first couple of tries. There are 3 of them that I've decided to come back to later. True to form as well the final boss of the area (Volcano Manor) is a multistage battle, wherein it took me about 15 tries to beat stage 1, I finally just barely did it and thought the battle was over. But no this is a souls game and we the player must be punished for such thoughts and his 2nd form killed me in about 20 seconds. So I decided to go out and adventure more and come back when I gain another 10 levels or so.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 am
stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:40 am Just summon my jellybelly friend, run to a far distance, and ping them with magic till they die. :horse:
Despite hearing this from quite a few different sources, ! have found him to be pretty useless.
Very slow and not able to take much damage.
Am I doing something wrong?
My jelly doesn't do much damage but soaks up way more than any other summon I currently have. The wolves do more damage, but they get wiped out pretty quickly against bosses, despite being upgraded a few times. I have another summon that summons some dude that does decent damage (and costs 107 FP!), but he just doesn't last very long either. A few other summons I have (skeleton militia, skeleton mages, noblemen) all die too quickly to be useful. So basically the jellyfish is the only summon I have that can distract bosses long enough for me to take them down with magic.
The other good thing about the jellyfish is that it floats, so all ground based damage misses it, lava, poison, etc.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am I hit lvl 80 yesterday and I was starting to walk through just about everything, bosses and all. And then I hit the Northwest part of the map (Sorry I don't know it's name) that is mostly on top of cliffs and literally every single major boss up there whipped my butt the first couple of tries. There are 3 of them that I've decided to come back to later. True to form as well the final boss of the area (Volcano Manor) is a multistage battle, wherein it took me about 15 tries to beat stage 1, I finally just barely did it and thought the battle was over. But no this is a souls game and we the player must be punished for such thoughts and his 2nd form killed me in about 20 seconds. So I decided to go out and adventure more and come back when I gain another 10 levels or so.
LOL ya that fight is no joke. I don't think it's impossible, but it's certainly not easy. I noped out to go do other things. Plan on going back there tonight. My dude is pretty OP at this point so if I die it's because I screw up. I'm pretty sure I should be fine this time around. FYI there's one quest line that I have been doing for like 2 days now. It's so freaking long that it could have been it's own self contained game. I have to be 15+ hours on it and still not done. :lol: Totally worth it as you unlock new areas and a metric asston of good gear.

I'm closing in at 100 hours and this is the most ambitious game I think I've ever seen. Anytime you think that you have seen it all BAM new area twice the size. I'm half expecting that I'll kill the end boss and get intro credits for the real game to start. Without a doubt the best game I've ever played.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am FYI there's one quest line that I have been doing for like 2 days now. It's so freaking long that it could have been it's own self contained game. I have to be 15+ hours on it and still not done. :lol: Totally worth it as you unlock new areas and a metric asston of good gear.
Are you talking about
Spoiler:
Siofra River?
Now depoliticized.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:33 am
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am FYI there's one quest line that I have been doing for like 2 days now. It's so freaking long that it could have been it's own self contained game. I have to be 15+ hours on it and still not done. :lol: Totally worth it as you unlock new areas and a metric asston of good gear.
Are you talking about
Spoiler:
Siofra River?
My guess is he's talking about the Ranni Quest line, which does go through Siofra River, but the River is just a small part of it.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am
Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am I hit lvl 80 yesterday and I was starting to walk through just about everything, bosses and all. And then I hit the Northwest part of the map (Sorry I don't know it's name) that is mostly on top of cliffs and literally every single major boss up there whipped my butt the first couple of tries. There are 3 of them that I've decided to come back to later. True to form as well the final boss of the area (Volcano Manor) is a multistage battle, wherein it took me about 15 tries to beat stage 1, I finally just barely did it and thought the battle was over. But no this is a souls game and we the player must be punished for such thoughts and his 2nd form killed me in about 20 seconds. So I decided to go out and adventure more and come back when I gain another 10 levels or so.
LOL ya that fight is no joke. I don't think it's impossible, but it's certainly not easy. I noped out to go do other things. Plan on going back there tonight. My dude is pretty OP at this point so if I die it's because I screw up. I'm pretty sure I should be fine this time around. FYI there's one quest line that I have been doing for like 2 days now. It's so freaking long that it could have been it's own self contained game. I have to be 15+ hours on it and still not done. :lol: Totally worth it as you unlock new areas and a metric asston of good gear.

I'm closing in at 100 hours and this is the most ambitious game I think I've ever seen. Anytime you think that you have seen it all BAM new area twice the size. I'm half expecting that I'll kill the end boss and get intro credits for the real game to start. Without a doubt the best game I've ever played.
I don't know if I did anything special to make this happen on the Snake Boss fight but:
Spoiler:
I had a giant snake killer sword at the start of the fight that really hurts this boss, it certainly makes the fight easier. I did talk to an NPC near the lobby of the mansion that mentioned the sword, so maybe that's all you need to do to unlock it in game, I don't know. My problem is the sword used magic and my FP pool is tiny, so I need to level that up more.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am The other good thing about the jellyfish is that it floats, so all ground based damage misses it, lava, poison, etc.
Ah - I didn't realize that but that makes sense. No wonder some of the fire and ground shaking moves by a certain boss didn't seem to affect the jelly.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:54 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:33 am
Are you talking about
Spoiler:
Siofra River?
My guess is he's talking about the Ranni Quest line, which does go through Siofra River, but the River is just a small part of it.
I was trying to find something else and it turned out that it was but a little part of the quest that involves several characters and locations, one of them being Ranni.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup that's the one. It just goes on and on and on. I'm not complaining everything except for that one damn fight has been fun. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, now I'm going to go looking for THAT one too. :D
Now depoliticized.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:57 pm Welp, now I'm going to go looking for THAT one too. :D
It's easily to miss as the area where it starts is optional and there's only one way to reach it.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I'll try to find it on my own, but if I don't find it within the next 190 hours of the expected game time I'm going to be spending on Elden Ring, I'll go look it up.

Have I mentioned I lost 10,000 runes last night?

:grund:
Now depoliticized.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I lost 55,000 last night to a boulder. Toughen up! :lol:

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:53 pm Well, I'll try to find it on my own, but if I don't find it within the next 190 hours of the expected game time I'm going to be spending on Elden Ring, I'll go look it up.

The only hint I'll give is to explore Liurnia of the Lakes
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:53 pm Well, I'll try to find it on my own, but if I don't find it within the next 190 hours of the expected game time I'm going to be spending on Elden Ring, I'll go look it up.

The only hint I'll give is to explore Liurnia of the Lakes
I just got that location, it's very handy. Maybe I should just turn around...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:49 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:44 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:32 pm Yes
Spoiler:
You have to talk to the girl at the fireplace in the main hub and the blacksmith. She will set up shop across from him.
You don't have to beat Godric for that to happen.
Well that is good to know. I'm on my way there!!
But you do have to beat Margit........arghhhhhhhh
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Godrick, Rennala and Radahn are all down and I still have no idea what I am doing. I started following the progression route from the fextralife wiki just because I hate not having direction. The guide can be VERY vague about stuff at times and it's a lot to go through and not well formatted for mobile (I try to minimize alt-tabbing), but it's better than wandering randomly, I guess.

I'm level 90, with a +13 great sword and 11 +7 flasks and still wearing the same armor I wore when I took down Margit. Remember when we used to be able to reinforce our armor? :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Every time one of you brings up the Jelly I can't help thinking of the song "I don't think you're ready for this jelly!"

OK, back to your regularly scheduled Elden Ring discourse.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:27 pm Godrick, Rennala and Radahn are all down and I still have no idea what I am doing. I started following the progression route from the fextralife wiki just because I hate not having direction. The guide can be VERY vague about stuff at times and it's a lot to go through and not well formatted for mobile (I try to minimize alt-tabbing), but it's better than wandering randomly, I guess.

I'm level 90, with a +13 great sword and 11 +7 flasks and still wearing the same armor I wore when I took down Margit. Remember when we used to be able to reinforce our armor? :P
The best armor ive found dropped in a cave near volcano manor. Im not sure what it's name was though.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I haven’t figured out how to increase my weapons higher than +3. I have plenty of smithing stones, but am not given the option to upgrade further. As with most things in the game, it’s not very clear why I can’t use those better stones.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:58 pm I haven’t figured out how to increase my weapons higher than +3. I have plenty of smithing stones, but am not given the option to upgrade further. As with most things in the game, it’s not very clear why I can’t use those better stones.
You need "smithing stone [2]" to upgrade to +4,5,6, [3] to upgrade to +7,8,9, [4] for 10,11,12 and on it goes.

oh and for +4 and up you have to use the blacksmith at the roundtable, not the anvil you can use yourself.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that number system on the smithing stones is idiotic. I finally figured out it was a type and not a quantity indication after about 10 hours. Same with the recipe books. So much work went into everything else, the least they could have done for those things was give them unique names or something.
Now depoliticized.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:45 pm Yeah, that number system on the smithing stones is idiotic. I finally figured out it was a type and not a quantity indication after about 10 hours. Same with the recipe books. So much work went into everything else, the least they could have done for those things was give them unique names or something.
I guess because weapons level to .+24 they needed a way to slow you down. But yea, early on I would think I found the mother lode and it was just a stone lvl 5, not 5 stones. I had to really explore to get enough lvl 2 stones, but I went from +7 to +12 n one session.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What I think was confusing me is that I didn’t realize the “better” smithing stones just increases your weapon by +1 *when you have a weapon that would be upgraded to that level”. That is, I was thinking a smithing stone (2) would increase your weapon strength *by* +4 not to +4, if that makes any sense.

At least I assume that’s how it works since I actually haven’t upgraded any weapon to +4 yet.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:13 pm What I think was confusing me is that I didn’t realize the “better” smithing stones just increases your weapon by +1 *when you have a weapon that would be upgraded to that level”. That is, I was thinking a smithing stone (2) would increase your weapon strength *by* +4 not to +4, if that makes any sense.

At least I assume that’s how it works since I actually haven’t upgraded any weapon to +4 yet.
Yea, it is progressive. 1, 2, 3 etc.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

So, I'm about 15 hours in and I'm only like at level 24 or something. I think the most runes I've had is 4,000 at a time. I can barely hold my own against even a Night Cavalry. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to grind? I'm a Vagabond and the best weapons I have are my Longsword and Halberd.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Eel Snave wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:07 pm So, I'm about 15 hours in and I'm only like at level 24 or something. I think the most runes I've had is 4,000 at a time. I can barely hold my own against even a Night Cavalry. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to grind? I'm a Vagabond and the best weapons I have are my Longsword and Halberd.
You're not doing anything wrong. If this is your first souls game then it will take time to learn. I would recomend exploring the area surrounding the opening area and beating as many of the mini dungeons as you can. Also push yourself to do more and you might be surprised at your progress.
FTE
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

That's mostly what I've been doing. I found the Jellyfish Ashes and I use that to distract my opponents for a bit, but I get frustrated when I come into a fight and get mobbed. Amy advice for a Souls noob? I know that they've nerfed rolling and jumping is a bigger deal now, but is the game of the game patience, patience, patience?
Downwards Compatible
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:00 pm
Eel Snave wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:07 pm So, I'm about 15 hours in and I'm only like at level 24 or something. I think the most runes I've had is 4,000 at a time. I can barely hold my own against even a Night Cavalry. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to grind? I'm a Vagabond and the best weapons I have are my Longsword and Halberd.
You're not doing anything wrong. If this is your first souls game then it will take time to learn. I would recomend exploring the area surrounding the opening area and beating as many of the mini dungeons as you can. Also push yourself to do more and you might be surprised at your progress.
Also, Night Calvary? Those are bosses, man. At level 24 I’m not surprised you can’t take one. I’m twice your level and still haven’t taken one on yet.

And scraper is right. Explore, kill things, find stuff. Eventually you’ll be strong enough and experienced enough that you’ll need to move to a higher area to find a challenge.
Now depoliticized.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Oh, fr? I got one down to halfway a couple of times and just assumed that I needed to get better.
Downwards Compatible
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bosses will display a solid health bar at the bottom of your screen when you engage one.

What I do when I enter a new area is pick the nearest enemy and try a drive by smack with my sword from horseback. If it barely moves their health bar, I turn around and head back to safer regions and explore a different direction.

And at your level, try sticking to the starting areas still. There’s a LOT to find in that region alone, and level 24 is still appropriate for it. This is a very long game. Take your time, enjoy it and don’t try to beat it too quickly.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now depoliticized.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Level 122, +20 greatsword, +10 mimic spirit ash, 13 +9 flasks, Margott went down like nothing. The fextrralife wiki progression route has treated me pretty well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm around the same level and I tried to just finish out the game and can't beat the final boss. I can't even get him to half health. There's areas I haven't fully explored, but I've kind of hit my limit. The high level areas are HIGHLY disappointing to me. Heavy heavy heavy recycling of bosses and mobs to the point where it seems like they just randomly threw things. I still love the game, but man it's hard to not feel like this is tacked on garbage. I pray they do a remaster at some point and actually finish the damn game. Or just make the final boss easier and remove the tacked on nonsense. The one place I got halfway through and just said nope. It felt like trolling the way it was designed.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:43 am The one place I got halfway through and just said nope. It felt like trolling the way it was designed.
Did it involve a set of ramps surrounded by lava with a bladed steamroller rolling up and down? :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:43 am The one place I got halfway through and just said nope. It felt like trolling the way it was designed.
Did it involve a set of ramps surrounded by lava with a bladed steamroller rolling up and down? :P
I've been to that place. There are two really good full sets of armor in there.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I picked up my first legendary ashes summons Saturday and now I'm raising my FP high enough to use it. It costs 104 FP, so it just HAS to be amazing....I hope.
Now depoliticized.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh no that's a cakewalk compared to this nonsense. Oh look a bridge... Lets run across... Oh look crossbowmen guarding it. No problem run past them to kill them and out runs a giant boss and 10 minions. What you want to run away to that ladder over there? Sure whew made it to the ladder sweet. Get to the bottom and 4 bosses spawn out of thin air. I just stopped there. Seriously piss off... :P

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:37 am I picked up my first legendary ashes summons Saturday and now I'm raising my FP high enough to use it. It costs 104 FP, so it just HAS to be amazing....I hope.
Silly tarnished, the only thing that replaces the jellyfish is the mimic and the mimic uses ZERO FP!!!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:28 am
I've been to that place. There are two really good full sets of armor in there.
My kid tells me I missed one. I am not really interested in going back.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter