RPG WW Game Thoughts (just discussion - not planning)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Austin

RPG WW Game Thoughts (just discussion - not planning)

Post by Austin »

Another thread with some rule-set thoughts. (Not near complete but I started thinking about it in the shower and wanted to get it down on the forums for a start)

Number of players ~16.

3 Bad
~13 Good.

4 Good classes - Fighter, Mage, Scout, Metalist
3 Evil classes - ?, ?, ?.

All players gain 1 experience point for having a vote placed during a lynch. (Does not have to be on the lynchee)

Each class has skills that can be performed if player has enough exp points saved up.

Certain players will have 5x multipliers for exp gain in their class. (Classes are assigned)

Fighter
2 exp - Minor Skill ??
5 Exp - Protect Player
10 Exp - Day Kill

Mage
2 exp - Minor Skill ??
5 Exp Scan Player
10 Exp Major Skill ??

Scout
3 exp Minor Snare - Allows Scout to know if any activity occured at the player's home, or by the player.
5 exp - Snare - Ceases activity of selected player for 1 night.
7 exp - Trap - Kills anyone visiting a player's home on that night.

Mentalists x 2 (think masons) Auto-drain 1 exp/night for Brother's Commune
Mentalists may choose to forego Brother's Commune for a night and 1 player may gain the exp of the other in order to use skill, contact Outlander.
1 exp - Brother's commune - Can communicate with the other mentalist.
2 exp - Contact Outlander - Can communicate with another player who is not a mentalist.

All players can save for certain skills so a common villager type might be able to protect after 5 Days where he has voted. This needs much thought and balance and is obviously not near complete. (Don't even have evil classes yet :P) I'm trying to think of skills that would be beneficial to wait for, against the risk of being killed while saving, but nothing that would auto-kill the game.

I'll post more as I think of it. :P
Your ad here.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I like the concept of getting rewarded for voting. More thoughts as more details are presented :p
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

how about experience per post? :wink:

So a Fighter would get 5 fighter exp from voting on Day One?

Does the experience get "used" from the store of exp?

Or is it like unlocking an ability?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Austin

Post by Austin »

Chaosraven wrote:how about experience per post? :wink:

So a Fighter would get 5 fighter exp from voting on Day One?

Does the experience get "used" from the store of exp?

Or is it like unlocking an ability?
No, a fighter would get 1 exp/day and only if they have a vote registered at the point of lynch. 1 fighter would have something that gave him x5, so 5 exp/day so they could protect every day, or maybe skip protecting and gain a day kill skill. Exp would be saved up and cashed in to use a skill. The x5 modifier is to simulate a Seer/hunter/ etc..., while the others should have some small skill they can use or save up for a protection. (It would be 5 nights before a villager could gain a protect if not the special fighter for instance)
Your ad here.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Oddly I was going to post on this along the lines of : Why don't we just give everyone specials?

Some specials, not so special, some specials, must kill first level.

As such you dont get that pack of unimportant who want to die so they can get a special. This might work, although the fact youd have to live 5 days to use a special unless you are a X5 is kinda brutal. In a huge game, it would be really nifty, in a smaller game, around day 5 or 6 you are hitting evil wins or loses time.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Semaj wrote:Oddly I was going to post on this along the lines of : Why don't we just give everyone specials?

Some specials, not so special, some specials, must kill first level.

As such you dont get that pack of unimportant who want to die so they can get a special. This might work, although the fact youd have to live 5 days to use a special unless you are a X5 is kinda brutal. In a huge game, it would be really nifty, in a smaller game, around day 5 or 6 you are hitting evil wins or loses time.
You need villagers though, or at least people with powers that cannot really be proven. Otherwise everyone can come out Day 1 and the wolves have pretty much no chance.
Your ad here.
Unagi

Re: RPG WW Game Thoughts (just discussion - not planning)

Post by Unagi »

Austin wrote:3 Evil classes - Necromancer, ?, ?.
Raises a buddy if he votes enough and can stay alive?

Just at first blush I will say, this is a very creative new direction to take - bravo Austin.
Austin

Post by Austin »

If anyone wants to build off it, please go for it. It was just a thought and could use a lot of development. I'd be happy to play in one. ;) (I figure we're set for games for a solid 3 months or so. :P)
Your ad here.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Well not all items have powers you can prove.

What if 2 or 3 people could figure out the job of the dead.

Since 2-3 people die every day they wouldnt always check the same people, but it's an unproveable power. You can say you are one, but so can the bad guys. And even when you are right how do the good guys know you are right?

Or one person is unturnable or unkillable. You could throw him into the fire and he'd live, but you'd lose your chance to kill a werewolf for the sake of getting a proven commodity, who might be turnable. If he is unturnable, you might get lucky and they migh try to turn him, but once his power is up, then this guy feels useless unless you don't always specify everyones powers.

Like I said not all powers are real winners, but they sure would make life interesting.

Or How about, the items have the powers and not the people so at night you can trade items.

Sure he might be a normal villager today, but tomorrow he could be the ring of ubercoolness bearer.

As such, locking down the good guys becomes difficult, which might be nice if the bad guys got some serious mojo in thier powers working.

Powers I would like to see though:

A good guy who can convert a bad guy, wait, he'd know who all the wolves are... dang, that would be spicy in a game where you dont know who the good guys or the bad guys are.

If the leader of the Wolves Dies, this guy can follow it up with a one shot kill on someone else. But only during that night, so 2 people are dead in the morning.

Cain and Able: Like the masons, they can talk to each other at will (I lover your they can speak to one other person besides themselves if both guys dont talk to each other...) but at one point one of them goes evil on the other one. it happens on a specific day of no ones choosing, and no one knows which guy or when.

A shield that protects you from dying to a 1-time kill power.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have been thinking of a mentalist for the dead power. We have had Mediums but what if we had someone that could spend the nights PMing with the deader of their choice?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

No spoiler boards for the dead then
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Semaj wrote:No spoiler boards for the dead then
true, but we used to go entire games without the dead being told all the spoilers. :shock: :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

What is this crazy talk?

I mean the best part of last game for me was not having to wade through 50 pages of reading to find out who was killed.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah the dead/mason/other forums have made the game interesting after being killed but they are certainly worth giving up for the sake of certain types of powers.
Your ad here.