THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

I'm RM9, and I approve of this ad.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

RunningMn9

I'm RM9, and I approve of this ad.

Post by RunningMn9 »

Not my ad of course, as I'm not running for any political office (that you all know about anyway ;)).

But I do approve of a political ad that I heard this morning for one Chuck Shumer, Democratic Senator from NY.

Now - I'm certainly no fan of Schumer. But, this ad in particular was good because after watching it, I have absolutely no idea who is running against him - or even whether or not ANYONE is running against him. It was just a list of things he's done that he thinks were good for NY. No sinister black and white photos of his evil opponent eating babies or anything.

Just the positive parts of his record. Allegedly (the entire thing could be fabricated, I don't know).

But in a time where I am near ready to vomit at the partisan nonsense gripping this country, it was a pleasant commercial. And I appreciate that, Chuck.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
qp

Post by qp »

In our last election I was happy to see commercials from our liberal PM that didn't try and gloss over what he stood for and what he wanted to do. Did I agree with it? No. But I gained some respect for him that he was actually taking a stand and putting out on the table what he stood for. I wish we could see more of that - less spinning and personal attacks and more what the candidate him/herself is actually planning on doing in office.

edit: grammar stuff there's probably more lol.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

The greatest political ad was Jesse Ventura's "Jesse Ventura Political Action Figure" commericial.

God that won the election for him.
Defiant

Re: I'm RM9, and I approve of this ad.

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Here in Missouri I've been quite fond of Mike Ditmore and Chuck Graham. Through the whole election I didn't even realize they were running against each other. I was planning to vote for both of them given their positive campaigns. Only last week did I realize they were running against each other and was having a hard time deciding which person I would vote for.

Then it happened... playing a little City of Heroes this past weekend with the TV on in the background I hear a Chuck Graham ad come on and start attacking Mike Ditmore. I was very disheartened. 2 commercials later... Mike Ditmore came on attacking Chuck Graham.

The cleanest race I've ever seen took a turn. Hopes and dreams shattered!

EDIT: There's another race going on where the incumbent is going to win HUGE. Yet, from day 1 he has been airing some of the worst attack ads I've ever seen. He's going to win but he isn't going to get my vote. There just isn't any reason to go negative when the race is a lock.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Nade wrote:Coincidence? I think not. If the race were closer, and the challenger more prominent, I'm sure you would see lots of negative ads.
You know, I don't even care about that. I'm just glad that if I have to see a political ad, it's actually in color, and features the candidate who the ad is actually for.

Don't try to stifle my momentary good will for Chuck Schumer.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Now - I'm certainly no fan of Schumer. But, this ad in particular was good because after watching it, I have absolutely no idea who is running against him - or even whether or not ANYONE is running against him. It was just a list of things he's done that he thinks were good for NY. No sinister black and white photos of his evil opponent eating babies or anything.
Why smear you opponent when you roll with a Tech-9? Just shoot the beyotch!

Interesting that Mills' site is rife with negative smear, including what looks like a flash game with Schumer as a bobblehead doll. :roll:

Mills 2004
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I think that's Chris Grenard with the Tech 9!
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

I want to give props to Sen. Russ Feingold (D) here in Wisconsin for doing the same thing. His ads are the only ones I see that talk about issues and barely even mention his opponent. On the flip side, the challenger flings mud like crazy and only talks about his (limited) military career.

I wouldn't hate political ads so much if the majority of them were "high brow" like these.