2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Grifman »

I’m pretty sure distributing counterfeit money is illegal:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He's right - he's helping clean up the community.

When those start getting passed, the Secret Service will know exactly who is responsible, and the community will be just a little cleaner.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 pm I’m pretty sure distributing counterfeit money is illegal:

I always wondered if Dennis Reynolds from It’s Always Sunny was based on a real person. I guess he is.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Who the fuck is Johnny McEntee and why do we give a shit what that idiot is doing?

One more example of why I hate social media.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:10 pm Who the fuck is Johnny McEntee and why do we give a shit what that idiot is doing?

One more example of why I hate social media.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/620646/
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

These are really ugly numbers for Biden:

I don’t know if he can shift them all that much in the time remaining. Michigan is also surprising given the total collapse of the state GOP there. That state should be Biden’s for the taking.

And this is disastrous (from the NYT article in the tweet):

“Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden are essentially tied among 18-to-29-year-olds and Hispanic voters, even though each group gave Mr. Biden more than 60 percent of their vote in 2020. Mr. Trump also wins more than 20 percent of Black voters — a tally that would be the highest level of Black support for any Republican presidential candidate since the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.”
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They're seriously going to have to put me on anxiety medication if that orange fascist wins. I just can't for 4 (or more) years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Very very very sadly, I don't doubt those numbers but how old is that picture of TFG? Why not just use a picture of him in his 30s? I think that's an old picture of Biden as well but the TFG difference is striking. NYT really should be more frank in how old both these candidates are.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 am They're seriously going to have to put me on anxiety medication if that orange fascist wins. I just can't for 4 (or more) years.
+1 for me with the only modification being ‘increase’ instead of ‘put me on’.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:26 am These are really ugly numbers for Biden:

I don’t know if he can shift them all that much in the time remaining. Michigan is also surprising given the total collapse of the state GOP there. That state should be Biden’s for the taking.

And this is disastrous (from the NYT article in the tweet):

“Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden are essentially tied among 18-to-29-year-olds and Hispanic voters, even though each group gave Mr. Biden more than 60 percent of their vote in 2020. Mr. Trump also wins more than 20 percent of Black voters — a tally that would be the highest level of Black support for any Republican presidential candidate since the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.”
Sorry, I put this in the wrong thread, meant it to put it in the 2024 election thread.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Senator Britt proposes a federal database of pregnant women.
The More Opportunities for Moms to Succeed (Moms) act proposes to establish an online government database called “pregnancy.gov” listing resources related to pregnancy, including information about adoption agencies and pregnancy care providers, except for those that provide abortion-related services...

...The website would direct users to enter their personal data and contact information, and although Britt’s communications director said the site would not collect data on pregnant people, page three of the bill states that users can “take an assessment through the website and provide consent to use the user’s contact information” which government officials may use “to conduct outreach via phone or email to follow up with users on additional resources that would be helpful for the users to review”.
Handmaid's Tale is increasingly feeling less like a cautionary tale and more like a model for policies for people to emulate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They've been openly and loudly telling us what's coming if TFG gets re-elected, which seems to be working for them.

I really didn't think it was going to be possible. but it is starting to feel more and more likely we're about to slide into full-on insanity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Single-issue voters will be the death of us.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:04 pm They've been openly and loudly telling us what's coming if TFG gets re-elected, which seems to be working for them.

I really didn't think it was going to be possible. but it is starting to feel more and more likely we're about to slide into full-on insanity.
I think we'll survive him Electric Boogaloo as well as can be hoped for for the moment, but he lays even more groundwork for the end and his backers break the courts even more, such that full on insanity becomes immanent. We'll also have to endure his radicals being even more open than they are now while we wait for the cult to do what cults do and for the ostriches to figure out what they're going to do with no sand in sight. If/how we bounce back post 2nd term? I dunno. We survived the world leading us up to and through Nixon but then, we also were a different world back then. Breaking the norms and people of power may or may not change as he slips further and further in to dementia and revenge seeking while his cult and courts become more and more brazen. 2026 and then 2028 become serious questions.

I do have every reason to believe Putin gets worse with a better entrenchment of his propaganda at every level. Though he's old and slipping too.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm almost to the point of taking the fatalistic approach and saying, "If that's what they want, let them have it." Let the world burn. You want the leopard to eat your face, have at it. I'll just be sitting quietly in the corner rocking back and forth muttering, " I told you so."

The stupid have inherited the earth, and I just have to face the fact that the rest of my life and my kids lives will be dictated by fools and idiots.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I sometimes tread that same ground but I'm coward at heart.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 pm I'm almost to the point of taking the fatalistic approach and saying, "If that's what they want, let them have it." Let the world burn. You want the leopard to eat your face, have at it. I'll just be sitting quietly in the corner rocking back and forth muttering, " I told you so."

The stupid have inherited the earth, and I just have to face the fact that the rest of my life and my kids lives will be dictated by fools and idiots.
I can't get on board. I feel like that just leads to: "I only thought they would eat their faces..."

We either fight to the end, or it's on us.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 pm I'm almost to the point of taking the fatalistic approach and saying, "If that's what they want, let them have it." Let the world burn. You want the leopard to eat your face, have at it. I'll just be sitting quietly in the corner rocking back and forth muttering, " I told you so."

My main problem with this, is that they'll never realize their face is being eaten, and when they do start to think there's a problem, Fox news will blame the jews the Dems, who by that time will hold almost none of the seats in the Senate or the House, and they will *still* believe it.

My reference to jewish people above is a reference to the scapegoating that happened in Germany. As long as there's an internal enemy to hate, there will be very little headway in a reconciliation in the country.

And let's not forget that one side is often about expanding rights for individuals, while the other side is about suppressing individuals. The Rep have really established themselves as the party of hate.

Tell me what the party platform is right now, I dare you, and then tell me it's not about hurting "the others". No rationalizations allowed.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Whites are better and Russia is not evil
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I went to look up the platform... It's from 2016... with the exception of:
RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the
President’s America-first agenda;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a
new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;
RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention calls on the media to engage in
accurate and unbiased reporting, especially as it relates to the strong support of the RNC for
President Trump and his Administration; and
RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including
any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.
So there is no platform until July 18th, when it likely will be the same "be nice to TFG" as it has been for the last 8 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, to be clear, I didn't mean the official platform. We're not quite at the stage yet where they can say "screw these people in particular" officially on their website. But we're close. They have no problem saying into a camera or in session.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Don't despair so much. Climate change will make it all moot before too long.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm Single-issue voters will be the death of us.
"Not Trump" is a single issue...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:22 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm Single-issue voters will be the death of us.
"Not Trump" is a single issue...
I respectfully disagree.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 am They're seriously going to have to put me on anxiety medication if that orange fascist wins. I just can't for 4 (or more) years.
I've been wondering for a while if, should he win, I will simply turn off the news, stop reading R&P, and try to live out my last two or three decades in whatever peace they allow me.

Then I realize that I'd be surrendering to them, and doing exactly what they're hoping for.

And then I realize that I don't have the stamina to keep caring once we've reached that point, and I will simply turn off the news, stop....

And then I realize that I'd be surrendering....

And then

And then

And then

And then
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I daydream about joining a resistance cell. The resistance is going to need copy editors, right?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm I daydream about joining a resistance cell. The resistance is going to need copy editors, right?
Don't forget kitty caregiver.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:12 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm I daydream about joining a resistance cell. The resistance is going to need copy editors, right?
Don't forget kitty caregiver.
I can cook passably well, too. There will be a place for me in the underground.