The Hunter Biden Investigation

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Hunter Biden Investigation

Post by malchior »

And his lawyers released a record of the House Republicans and especially Comer misleading or lying to the American people about the results of other closed-door interviews in this fishing expedition. So I think they've built enough of a record about their MO.

It is also difficult to understand what the legislative purpose at this point as well. As to whether the referral goes anywhere? I wouldn't be sure he is safe from further indictment because it seems likely that Garland would hand it over to the politicized special counsel. It's a crapshoot but his lawyers seem to be working to minimize risk as best they can.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

It’s alright once Trumps Supreme Court confirms presidential immunity Dictator Daddy Biden can have them all executed by Seal Team 6 and Kamala Harris can refuse to accept electors from the red states.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hunter Biden's lawyers sent the committee a letter today listing all the ways their referral for contempt is going to fail. Norm Eisen had written an article at The Hill yesterday echoing some of their arguments.
Hunter Biden is standing up to Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and James Comer (R-Ky.) — the chairs of the House Judiciary Committee and House Oversight and Accountability Committee — who are acting as MAGA surrogates for former President Trump’s election campaign. It’s a risky but ultimately smart approach for Hunter, both in the court of public opinion and the court of law.

The two committees met separately Wednesday to consider holding President Biden’s son in criminal contempt for supposedly failing to honor a subpoena for testimony. Hunter Biden has agreed to testify, but only in public; Jordan and Comer insist it be behind closed doors. As the Oversight Committee hearing began, Hunter made a surprise appearance with his lawyer Abbe Lowell. The message was clear — Hunter was ready to testify in public, and House Republicans could ask him anything.

Hunter dramatically spotlighted all of that in the court of public opinion on Wednesday. And he also illuminated his serious legal arguments in the court of law, if it comes to that.

The criminal contempt referral by the full House (if it happens) would go to the Department of Justice. It is now unmistakably clear to prosecutors and to the public that Hunter is willing to testify, and the dispute is only over the manner of the appearance. That is an unattractive case to charge — and an unappealing one to contemplate putting before a Washington, D.C., jury.

Hunter’s concerted efforts to reach an accommodation are more akin to the situation of Mark Meadows, Trump’s final chief of staff, who wrangled with the Jan. 6 select committee over the details of his testimony while producing partial documentation. While that committee referred Meadows to the Department of Justice for contempt, prosecutors declined to pursue charges. In fact, we are aware of no case where criminal contempt was prosecuted in the face of a reasonable effort to comply with a congressional subpoena.

The Justice Department — and, if it comes to it, the courts — will also look askance at the naked partisan purpose that was so evident on Wednesday as the Oversight Committee melted down. Indeed, Comer has suggested that the proceedings are meant to help Trump’s polling and another member of the GOP caucus, Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas), said that their purpose is to give the twice-impeached Trump “a little bit of ammo to fire back.” When Nehls was asked “what the House GOP conference hoped to gain from the Biden impeachment inquiry,” he replied, “All I can say is Donald J. Trump 2024, baby!”
waitingtoconnect

What. The actual. (Insert swear word)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-bid ... en-russia/

So the whole impeachment is based on false evidence provided by the Russians and the republicans aren’t stopping even though this is the case.

What the actual ….
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

waitingtoconnect wrote:What. The actual. (Insert swear word)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-bid ... en-russia/

So the whole impeachment is based on false evidence provided by the Russians and the republicans aren’t stopping even though this is the case.

What the actual ….
It always was. See Giuliani in Ukraine.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
waitingtoconnect

I simply don’t understand how this isn’t an even bigger scandal. Not then I watched some Fox News at the bar last night and I understood.

I hate msnbc because of how partisan it is but good god! Fox News seems to get worse by the day .
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hunter pretty much kicked the Republicans' butts today in the hearings:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/29/politics ... index.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What a great inquiry in to Geatz who refused to answer a single question! A shame that PoS TFG sycophant will never face any consequences for his actions.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So this trial is getting underway. Tell me what to think.

I've paid near-zero attention to Hunter Biden but a cursory catch-up reading looks like he's guilty. If so, he should be treated like anyone else in the same circumstances, excluding "whose dad is POTUS." Is he going to prison, and how bad will the splash damage be for Joe?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as Joe doesn't raise a finger to help him beyond advice. Any use of his authority or title will immediately be turned against him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:06 pm So this trial is getting underway. Tell me what to think.

I've paid near-zero attention to Hunter Biden but a cursory catch-up reading looks like he's guilty. If so, he should be treated like anyone else in the same circumstances, excluding "whose dad is POTUS." Is he going to prison, and how bad will the splash damage be for Joe?
Bidens only appeal to the office for me and others I know is that isn’t trump or one of the parasites that pandered to him or resigned in cowardice rather than fight him like Romney, Haley, Christie and Bill Barr.

I voted for him in 2020 because trump and on the understanding he’d step down due to his age.

But the democrats keep shooting themselves in the foot so much… I’m struggling to find the will to do it again.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I just might be a Biden Fan Club of one. He's the best president of my lifetime, and since I'm older than you I'm obviously right. But this probably isn't the thread to go there. :wink:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The irony of Republicans calling for conviction over possession of a firearm would be satisfying, if they had any shame.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
waitingtoconnect

I think “winning” is all that drives them at this point.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:44 pm
But the democrats keep shooting themselves in the foot so much… I’m struggling to find the will to do it again.
Well, - find it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:51 pm Well I just might be a Biden Fan Club of one. He's the best president of my lifetime, and since I'm older than you I'm obviously right. But this probably isn't the thread to go there. :wink:
Yeah, I'm confused by the talk about having to choose between bad and badder. I've never agreed with 100% of any president's actions, but I fail to see how Biden is especially awful, even if you might be a 1 issue voter, like the US's relationship with Israel during the current violence in Gaza.

I feel like everything in the world is becoming increasingly binary. Something is 100% awesome or 100% awful. There's no 15% awful or 5% awesome left in peoples' minds. It's alarming because that's what extremism is, and now everyone is becoming more extreme. Violence is the end result, not better government.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:06 pm So this trial is getting underway. Tell me what to think.

Bidens only appeal to the office for me and others I know is that isn’t trump or one of the parasites that pandered to him or resigned in cowardice rather than fight him like Romney, Haley, Christie and Bill Barr.

I voted for him in 2020 because trump and on the understanding he’d step down due to his age.

I get the small l libertarian concept of not liking either of the candidates and voting third party - that was me up until 2020. (I take some solace from living in Illinois so my third party vote in 2016 had no real impact.) Progressive on social issues (in a classic live and let live manner), conservative on fiscal issues (low taxes, low business regulation). Given that Rs under convicted felon Donald Trump (and arguably to a great extent before then) have completely lost their footing on small government (only small when it suits them - big on social issues and state power to punish individuals), and given the consequences of a return to power for convicted felon Donald Trump, however, there's really no other justifiable (to me) option than to vote for Biden. I'll do so enthusiastically because I think he's actually done a much better job than I originally expected given his headwinds, and my personal politics have shifted significantly as well. But even if you do so reluctantly, you should still vote for Biden. Because the end result of this election is simple - either Joe Biden will win a second term, or convicted felon Donald Trump will win a second term.

And if you voted with the "understanding" that Biden would step down due to his age, that's 100% on you. That was never part of the plan.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am

I get the small l libertarian concept of not liking either of the candidates and voting third party - that was me up until 2020. (I take some solace from living in Illinois so my third party vote in 2016 had no real impact.) Progressive on social issues (in a classic live and let live manner), conservative on fiscal issues (low taxes, low business regulation). Given that Rs under convicted felon Donald Trump (and arguably to a great extent before then) have completely lost their footing on small government (only small when it suits them - big on social issues and state power to punish individuals), and given the consequences of a return to power for convicted felon Donald Trump, however, there's really no other justifiable (to me) option than to vote for Biden. I'll do so enthusiastically because I think he's actually done a much better job than I originally expected given his headwinds, and my personal politics have shifted significantly as well. But even if you do so reluctantly, you should still vote for Biden. Because the end result of this election is simple - either Joe Biden will win a second term, or convicted felon Donald Trump will win a second term.
I agree with virtually all of this, including my history of voting for 3rd party/independent candidates ("voting my conscience") because I lived in uncontested states. I only got on board the major party train with Bronco Bama, because I thought he would be transformative (he wasn't -- even his signature accomplishment enshrined for-profit health insurance in law), and then Hillary because trump was such a joke (very unfunny). Nobody was more surprised than me when Biden turned out to be the transformative figure I'd hoped for in Obama, reversing 40 years of supply side economics. He deserves major props for that monumental shift alone, and it will be undone in January if he loses in November. So I will vote for Biden with enthusiasm this time, rather than grudgingly as I did last time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I, however, wholeheartedly disagree with you on just about everything you said about Obama. I felt he did FAR more than you give him credit for, and that you slight him for things that would gain most Dem presidents accolades. I find it rather baffling, to be honest. :?

While I still believe Biden has performed better than expected, I still would not even come close to calling his presidency "transformative" in any way. If anything, blind luck is something I'd credit more than I would any thoughtful approach to the economy.
Now depoliticized.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’d love to hear more from Kraken on how Biden has been a transformative president. I’ve always been a fan of Biden, and if not for his age, would vote for him somewhat enthusiastically (still absolutely voting for him, of course). But it’s hard for me to see his presidency as transformative.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am I get the small l libertarian concept of not liking either of the candidates and voting third party - that was me up until 2020. (I take some solace from living in Illinois so my third party vote in 2016 had no real impact.) Progressive on social issues (in a classic live and let live manner), conservative on fiscal issues (low taxes, low business regulation). Given that Rs under convicted felon Donald Trump (and arguably to a great extent before then) have completely lost their footing on small government (only small when it suits them - big on social issues and state power to punish individuals), and given the consequences of a return to power for convicted felon Donald Trump, however, there's really no other justifiable (to me) option than to vote for Biden. I'll do so enthusiastically because I think he's actually done a much better job than I originally expected given his headwinds, and my personal politics have shifted significantly as well. But even if you do so reluctantly, you should still vote for Biden. Because the end result of this election is simple - either Joe Biden will win a second term, or convicted felon Donald Trump will win a second term.

And if you voted with the "understanding" that Biden would step down due to his age, that's 100% on you. That was never part of the plan.
As much as you are wrong about absolutely everything else, ever. You and I pretty much see almost perfectly at eye level politically and have been moved very similarly over the years I think I've always slightly "less low taxes and regulation" than you have and veered from the firmness of those positions before and more than you but not by much.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:03 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am I get the small l libertarian concept of not liking either of the candidates and voting third party - that was me up until 2020. (I take some solace from living in Illinois so my third party vote in 2016 had no real impact.) Progressive on social issues (in a classic live and let live manner), conservative on fiscal issues (low taxes, low business regulation). Given that Rs under convicted felon Donald Trump (and arguably to a great extent before then) have completely lost their footing on small government (only small when it suits them - big on social issues and state power to punish individuals), and given the consequences of a return to power for convicted felon Donald Trump, however, there's really no other justifiable (to me) option than to vote for Biden. I'll do so enthusiastically because I think he's actually done a much better job than I originally expected given his headwinds, and my personal politics have shifted significantly as well. But even if you do so reluctantly, you should still vote for Biden. Because the end result of this election is simple - either Joe Biden will win a second term, or convicted felon Donald Trump will win a second term.

As much as you are wrong about absolutely everything else, ever. You and I pretty much see almost perfectly at eye level politically and have been moved very similarly over the years I think I've always slightly "less low taxes and regulation" than you have and veered from the firmness of those positions before and more than you but not by much.
Wes Anderson film festival at my house this weekend!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:09 pm Wes Anderson film festival at my house this weekend!
I suppose you get to pick the music and food as well. :puke:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:09 pm
Wes Anderson film festival at my house this weekend!
Wishmaster it is!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't let him order a pizza from Jets. For the love of God, just don't!
Now depoliticized.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

But do let him order the liquor.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you are talking about the first time I met most of the Chicago OOers, that was not normal me (after my early 20s anyway). I drank a little too much that afternoon... and evening... and night... and into the Chicago serves patrons until 0400 morning... As far as my non functioning memory goes, a good time was had by all.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And all topped off with a delicious, refreshing glass of cucumber water!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am And if you voted with the "understanding" that Biden would step down due to his age, that's 100% on you.
But certainly not unreasonable given how decrepit he was and is.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:52 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am And if you voted with the "understanding" that Biden would step down due to his age, that's 100% on you.
But certainly not unreasonable given how decrepit he was and is.
Yeah, but that's a "hope" or an "anticipation", not an "understanding," which implies more of meeting of the minds to me.

(I'm feeling very pedantic these days, it seems.)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:52 pm And all topped off with a delicious, refreshing glass of cucumber water!
What a gawdaful thing to sneak in to a man's water without telling him and make him think the water is rancid. blechey My memory had been purged of such things. Thanks a lot for reminding me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:55 am I’d love to hear more from Kraken on how Biden has been a transformative president. I’ve always been a fan of Biden, and if not for his age, would vote for him somewhat enthusiastically (still absolutely voting for him, of course). But it’s hard for me to see his presidency as transformative.
The historian Heather Cox Richardson writes extensively about this. She's the one who convinced me that Biden is a major, transformative president. Unfortunately her Substack isn't broken into topics so I can't point you to any particular post, but if you aren't reading her daily letters I think you'll enjoy her perspective.

Beginning in 1980, Ronald Reagan changed the direction of government that FDR had set, and that had enjoyed broad popular support among both parties (with disagreement over details, of course) ever since the Depression. FDR established a basic safety net, programs to help the working class, and business regulations. The economy flourished from supporting the demand side, putting money in people's pockets and building up the middle class especially.

Reagan transformed the Republican Party to repudiate the popular New Deal-style government and return government's focus to benefit business and the elite. Reagan convinced Americans that "government is the problem," not the solution to problems as we had believed since FDR. Republican orthodoxy turned to paring back the safety net, cutting taxes, promoting free trade, and killing regulations, and for decades money flowed from the bottom to the top, whence it was supposed to "trickle down" to create general prosperity (but never did). Every time Republicans have held power since 1980, they have cut social programs, cut taxes on the rich, deregulated business, and poured money into the military-industrial complex. Democratic administrations over the past four decades softened the harshest Republican excesses but couldn't reverse government's focus to where it had been before Reagan.

Biden has massively reversed direction with the trillions of dollars spend in the pandemic recovery act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the CHIPS and Science Act, and the bipartisan infrastructure law (and to a lesser extent student loan forgiveness). Those bills, expertly shepherded through a Congress with the tiniest Dem majority, are rebuilding the economy "from the bottom up and the middle out," and have produced strong economic growth, rising incomes among the bottom classes, and record low unemployment. Oh, and investments to combat global warming have spurred the clean energy industry, btw. Bidenomics works.

(In his day, Clinton started out trying to do some of the same, but reversed direction when he lost Congress and changed his tune to support fiscal austerity and cuts to welfare. Wiki says "With the landslide Republican win in the 1994 midterm elections, Clinton was forced to triangulate policies, wherein he adopted mostly conservative proposals supported by most Republicans, while claiming the major credit for them." Supply side economics was safe.)

If Biden loses reelection in November his reforms will be quickly reversed. Maybe he will ultimately be no more successful than Clinton was at making government work for the people. But he's made a helluva start at it.
waitingtoconnect

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:54 am

I guess part of me hates having only one choice. And of two major party and one independent candidates all of them are over 70 and two of them are frankly nuts. Is this the best we can manage? I don’t think so.

Prior to 2016 most of the time we’ve had two viable candidates in my time voting; excepting maybe Bob Dole.

And yes Biden never said he’d not run for a second term - and even if he wasn’t - I’m sure the new democrats candidate would also be from a “crime family” or be “not born in America”.
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:29 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:55 am I’d love to hear more from Kraken on how Biden has been a transformative president. I’ve always been a fan of Biden, and if not for his age, would vote for him somewhat enthusiastically (still absolutely voting for him, of course). But it’s hard for me to see his presidency as transformative.
The historian Heather Cox Richardson writes extensively about this. She's the one who convinced me that Biden is a major, transformative president. Unfortunately her Substack isn't broken into topics so I can't point you to any particular post, but if you aren't reading her daily letters I think you'll enjoy her perspective.

Beginning in 1980, Ronald Reagan changed the direction of government that FDR had set, and that had enjoyed broad popular support among both parties (with disagreement over details, of course) ever since the Depression. FDR established a basic safety net, programs to help the working class, and business regulations. The economy flourished from supporting the demand side, putting money in people's pockets and building up the middle class especially.

Reagan transformed the Republican Party to repudiate the popular New Deal-style government and return government's focus to benefit business and the elite. Reagan convinced Americans that "government is the problem," not the solution to problems as we had believed since FDR. Republican orthodoxy turned to paring back the safety net, cutting taxes, promoting free trade, and killing regulations, and for decades money flowed from the bottom to the top, whence it was supposed to "trickle down" to create general prosperity (but never did). Every time Republicans have held power since 1980, they have cut social programs, cut taxes on the rich, deregulated business, and poured money into the military-industrial complex. Democratic administrations over the past four decades softened the harshest Republican excesses but couldn't reverse government's focus to where it had been before Reagan.

Biden has massively reversed direction with the trillions of dollars spend in the pandemic recovery act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the CHIPS and Science Act, and the bipartisan infrastructure law (and to a lesser extent student loan forgiveness). Those bills, expertly shepherded through a Congress with the tiniest Dem majority, are rebuilding the economy "from the bottom up and the middle out," and have produced strong economic growth, rising incomes among the bottom classes, and record low unemployment. Oh, and investments to combat global warming have spurred the clean energy industry, btw. Bidenomics works.

(In his day, Clinton started out trying to do some of the same, but reversed direction when he lost Congress and changed his tune to support fiscal austerity and cuts to welfare. Wiki says "With the landslide Republican win in the 1994 midterm elections, Clinton was forced to triangulate policies, wherein he adopted mostly conservative proposals supported by most Republicans, while claiming the major credit for them." Supply side economics was safe.)

If Biden loses reelection in November his reforms will be quickly reversed. Maybe he will ultimately be no more successful than Clinton was at making government work for the people. But he's made a helluva start at it.
Thanks for this. I'm going to check out that substack for further reading.

I guess a lot of the perspective on Biden is colored by media coverage, or lack thereof, of his more significant accomplishments. I wonder if part of that is on Biden's administration itself . . .
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
waitingtoconnect

Some of it is that trump simply gets all the press. You’d think from the media Joe Biden is president hunter bidens father out there president is actually Donald trump.

And others are ignorant of civics - annd the belief of the president being an elected king or ceo - for example twenty percent of people blame Biden for things like roe v wade and the republicans blocking things in Congress.