Car troubles thread....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Car troubles thread....

Post by Daehawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:09 pm Bought a new tire yesterday. It was patchable but with an upcoming road trip, just went with a new one.

I should probably just have a subscription. Thats 9 tires in the last 10K miles.
Serious question..are you going to the local dump a lot? My dad would grab a nail in the tire every time he used to take garbage there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:45 pm Unless you drive in reverse a lot, wouldn't front bumper be better?
I thought about that but it seems like it woild kick up some stuff but not catch it. Or drag and release a lot when it got full. Don't want to make things worse.
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:13 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:09 pm Bought a new tire yesterday. It was patchable but with an upcoming road trip, just went with a new one.

I should probably just have a subscription. Thats 9 tires in the last 10K miles.
Good lord, I thought I had it bad with about 3 in that same time frame. :shock:
6 of those were going to run flats and back.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:27 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:45 pm Unless you drive in reverse a lot, wouldn't front bumper be better?
I thought about that but it seems like it woild kick up some stuff but not catch it. Or drag and release a lot when it got full. Don't want to make things worse.
Good point. Are you looking for investors?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:13 pm

Good lord, I thought I had it bad with about 3 in that same time frame. :shock:
6 of those were going to run flats and back.

I think it's time to upgrade your tires...
Spoiler:
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If tradesmen had to buy fasteners with their own money I think there would be far fewer nails and screws on the roads. I'm excited when I see a washer on the road and usually pick it up. It's better than finding a penny or nickel on the road because washers cost more than that in this new normal. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a wheel track ski.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Upon leaving a restaurant several weeks ago, I cut a turn too close in the parking lot and scraped a curb hard enough to tear the plastic fairing off the passenger side bottom of my car (under the door). As I put the part in my trunk I noticed that it wasn't a clean break -- I had torn a connector off and cracked the panel. The body shop guy thought he could repair the part. Sure enough, with the skilled application of heat and glue and paint, he managed to restore the fairing to like-new condition. I had it reattached today and got out of it for $275, which is pretty darned cheap for any kind of body work. Replacing the part would've cost an arm and a leg, I'm sure.

Finally checked that item off my Pain In The Ass list.

So three hours later I come out of the grocery store today and there's a note under my windshield wiper. "Blue Ford pickup hit your passenger side rear and drove away. License XXX XXX." Sure enough, the rear quarter panel and bumper have a prominent new set of scratches. The panels seem to be undented, so it's probably just going to need a paint job. Time to go back to the body shop for an estimate, and then probably contact GEICO; this one will probably be well over my $500 deductible.

New item added to my Pain In The Ass list. :doh:

...or I might just decide to live with the scratches. I need to see what it looks like dry and clean in full daylight. Gonna get an estimate anyway to find out what I'm dealing with.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

You can also try one of those panit pens. You should be able to get one that matches your official paint job.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:52 pm You can also try one of those panit pens. You should be able to get one that matches your official paint job.
I needed some black paint the other day so I bought a black nail polish for $1. :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd like to get it fixed up proper if I can do it for $500. I paid $28,800 six years ago and it's still worth >$20k with low mileage and in excellent condition.

I've been advised to file an accident report since a good samaritan gave me the perp's license plate number, so I reckon I'll go to the cop shop and do that tomorrow.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Serious question..are you going to the local dump a lot? My dad would grab a nail in the tire every time he used to take garbage there.
I wasn't fond of when my friends would "borrow" my trailer to make dump runs for this very reason. Particularly didn't like it after they tore off their old garage roof and took that to the dump with my trailer. At least I didn't have to help them with the tear off. :lol: I hauled a lot of crap for that guy and he never bothered to buy me a tire.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Where nails need to be before a reputable place will repair them has gotten ridiculous. It seems it gets further and further away from the sidewall every few years. Now, my Hyundai dealer is saying they won't repair unless it's in the MIDDLE band of tread!! Which is like..8 inches from the sidewall!

Absurd. And since my tires are in great shape, I plugged that bitch myself (AFTER opening the trunk and realizing that not only does my car not come with a spare (WTF), but that there is not even a jack in the back, OR a freaking lug wrench so I could get my wheel locks off!

HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE INSANE?!?!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:41 pm Absurd. And since my tires are in great shape, I plugged that bitch myself (AFTER opening the trunk and realizing that not only does my car not come with a spare (WTF), but that there is not even a jack in the back, OR a freaking lug wrench so I could get my wheel locks off!
Neither does mine. It comes with an emergency patch kit/inflation gadget instead.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:41 pm Where nails need to be before a reputable place will repair them has gotten ridiculous. It seems it gets further and further away from the sidewall every few years. Now, my Hyundai dealer is saying they won't repair unless it's in the MIDDLE band of tread!! Which is like..8 inches from the sidewall!

Absurd. And since my tires are in great shape, I plugged that bitch myself (AFTER opening the trunk and realizing that not only does my car not come with a spare (WTF), but that there is not even a jack in the back, OR a freaking lug wrench so I could get my wheel locks off!

My car came with a donut but no jack. :? I guess they count on you getting roadside assistance. Discount Tire has always plugged my tires for free. I tip them $20 while they insist it's not necessary. It's a whole heck of a lot more work for me than $20 to plug a tire and I wouldn't seal it as well. Though I was disappointed the last time I went. They said the rim just wasn't holding a seal any more. They waited until after the fact paying for an prepping a new rim to advise me if I wanted my TPM to work it would be nearly another $200. That was the first bad experience I've ever had with them.

Also, speaking of car troubles, my car started trying to tell my gas cap isn't on this week. I have to figure out what's up with that before it starts complaining louder.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:56 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:41 pm Where nails need to be before a reputable place will repair them has gotten ridiculous. It seems it gets further and further away from the sidewall every few years. Now, my Hyundai dealer is saying they won't repair unless it's in the MIDDLE band of tread!! Which is like..8 inches from the sidewall!

My car came with a donut but no jack. :? I guess they count on you getting roadside assistance. Discount Tire has always plugged my tires for free. I tip them $20 while they insist it's not necessary. It's a whole heck of a lot more work for me than $20 to plug a tire and I wouldn't seal it as well. Though I was disappointed the last time I went. They said the rim just wasn't holding a seal any more. They waited until after the fact paying for an prepping a new rim to advise me if I wanted my TPM to work it would be nearly another $200. That was the first bad experience I've ever had with them.

Also, speaking of car troubles, my car started trying to tell my gas cap isn't on this week. I have to figure out what's up with that before it starts complaining louder.
Buying a new cap is usually the answer, and it's under twenty bucks. Seems like a fairly common thing to me. Happened to me last visit to my sister.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:43 am Buying a new cap is usually the answer, and it's under twenty bucks. Seems like a fairly common thing to me. Happened to me last visit to my sister.
When it gets light today, I'll head out see if there is some sort obstruction or if something is noticeably stuck and check before heading out for shopping. I doubt it's something stuck as it happened while initially while driving down a dirt road, though it suggests to me something got loose and now air is circulating through my tank. And that suggests paying to repair it. But again we'll check today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ah the old days without sensors and computers not letting you drive. Either it fired up and you drove or ya didn't. Someone push and someone else pop the clutch.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The cap wasn't damaged that I can see. All I did was wipe around inlet and it after about 8 miles the light went out. Not sure if the problem is resolved or now. I guess time will tell.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:04 pm Upon leaving a restaurant several weeks ago, I cut a turn too close in the parking lot and scraped a curb hard enough to tear the plastic fairing off the passenger side bottom of my car (under the door). As I put the part in my trunk I noticed that it wasn't a clean break -- I had torn a connector off and cracked the panel. The body shop guy thought he could repair the part. Sure enough, with the skilled application of heat and glue and paint, he managed to restore the fairing to like-new condition. I had it reattached today and got out of it for $275, which is pretty darned cheap for any kind of body work. Replacing the part would've cost an arm and a leg, I'm sure.

So three hours later I come out of the grocery store today and there's a note under my windshield wiper. "Blue Ford pickup hit your passenger side rear and drove away. License XXX XXX." Sure enough, the rear quarter panel and bumper have a prominent new set of scratches. The panels seem to be undented, so it's probably just going to need a paint job. Time to go back to the body shop for an estimate, and then probably contact GEICO; this one will probably be well over my $500 deductible.

...or I might just decide to live with the scratches. I need to see what it looks like dry and clean in full daylight. Gonna get an estimate anyway to find out what I'm dealing with.
I finally quit procrastinating and got an estimate today: $2200. Filed a claim with GEICO online and they had an inspector at my house within 15 minutes. He OK'd the body shop's estimate and actually added another $80 because they forgot to include balancing the wheel. My claim was processed and approved within an hour. There's a chance they'll waive the deductible, too, since I showed them the note that the witness left me. Technically, they only have to refund my deductible if they can identify the perp and recover from their insurance company, but as a practical matter they might just waive it.

I also learned there's such a thing as a collision damage waiver that one can purchase for $20 a year, so I'll most likely be adding that.

Anyway, I'm just waiting now for them to authorize the repair and pay the body shop, which they might do by the end of today. I'll be without my car for a week or two, but it will be like-new when I get it back. Very impressed with GEICO, no hassles whatsoever.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Car has been in the shop 2 weeks with no update..even after I called after a week had gone by. Shrug. Im in no hurry but that seems like a shit way to run a business. Its sitting there..could get damaged and from whjat I hear most shops will refuse to pay for that until you sue them.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:55 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:04 pm Upon leaving a restaurant several weeks ago, I cut a turn too close in the parking lot and scraped a curb hard enough to tear the plastic fairing off the passenger side bottom of my car (under the door). As I put the part in my trunk I noticed that it wasn't a clean break -- I had torn a connector off and cracked the panel. The body shop guy thought he could repair the part. Sure enough, with the skilled application of heat and glue and paint, he managed to restore the fairing to like-new condition. I had it reattached today and got out of it for $275, which is pretty darned cheap for any kind of body work. Replacing the part would've cost an arm and a leg, I'm sure.

I finally quit procrastinating and got an estimate today: $2200. Filed a claim with GEICO online and they had an inspector at my house within 15 minutes. He OK'd the body shop's estimate and actually added another $80 because they forgot to include balancing the wheel. My claim was processed and approved within an hour. There's a chance they'll waive the deductible, too, since I showed them the note that the witness left me. Technically, they only have to refund my deductible if they can identify the perp and recover from their insurance company, but as a practical matter they might just waive it.

I also learned there's such a thing as a collision damage waiver that one can purchase for $20 a year, so I'll most likely be adding that.

Anyway, I'm just waiting now for them to authorize the repair and pay the body shop, which they might do by the end of today. I'll be without my car for a week or two, but it will be like-new when I get it back. Very impressed with GEICO, no hassles whatsoever.
Geico is good about paying, but be careful if they steer you to one of their body shops. They are revolve around volume so they will make mistakes. We did that when our mirror got knocked off and we had to go back 3 times before it was fixed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nope, they're paying my chosen body shop. Thanks for the warning though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not mechanical trouble. But got 2 things Ive noticed on paperwork.

The registration states its a 2002 model but its actually a 2001. Least far as i know. It that a problem i should check into?

Title. I have no idea where it is these days. I think i saw it once but no idea if i did and if I did I forgot. Is there a place to get a new one? Court house?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:08 pm Not mechanical trouble. But got 2 things Ive noticed on paperwork.

The registration states its a 2002 model but its actually a 2001. Least far as i know. It that a problem i should check into?

Title. I have no idea where it is these days. I think i saw it once but no idea if i did and if I did I forgot. Is there a place to get a new one? Court house?
Iirc, in nj you go through the dmv to get a replacement title.
Might be the same by you.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:08 pm Not mechanical trouble. But got 2 things Ive noticed on paperwork.

In Florida it's around $100 for a replacement title. Florida will keep it electronically for you now which is good for people who are prone to losing stuff, but they'll still charge for the replacement I'm pretty sure.

In regard to push starting manual vehicles: When I lived in Scotland I removed the starter from my engine for about a month until I traveled over to Glasgow to get some new brushes. Scotland is hilly, I just parked at the top of the hill everywhere I went. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My first car was manual. Sometimes the battery would die or something and being able to push start it was great. Always had a bunch of friends with me usually lol. Lucky one day at the mall I was in the big open back parking lot and it was sloped.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I recently sent the Colorado DMV an $8.80 check for a replacement title (well, that plus two stamps, as I included a SASE for expediting). Check your county services website.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm Car has been in the shop 2 weeks with no update..even after I called after a week had gone by. Shrug. Im in no hurry but that seems like a shit way to run a business. Its sitting there..could get damaged and from whjat I hear most shops will refuse to pay for that until you sue them.
I'd be a little worried he's going to charge you a storage fee in an attempt to steal it out from under you. I'd maybe have to make my way down there by hook or by crook.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

em2nought wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:14 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm Car has been in the shop 2 weeks with no update..even after I called after a week had gone by. Shrug. Im in no hurry but that seems like a shit way to run a business. Its sitting there..could get damaged and from whjat I hear most shops will refuse to pay for that until you sue them.
I'd be a little worried he's going to charge you a storage fee in an attempt to steal it out from under you. I'd maybe have to make my way down there by hook or by crook.
My brother's car sat in a mechanic's shop for almost 4 months last year (with issues nowhere as extensive as Daehawk's car). Because the mechanics are so busy, they just prioritize any job that's fast and/or easy (easy repair, easy to obtain parts, easy to get insurance to pay), and everything else goes on the backburner. Of course, we are in a major metro area where every half-decent mechanic is swamped practically 100% of the time these days. Not sure if that logic applies to Daehawk's Podunkville but at least he keeps calling them, so they know that he's paying attention.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welp FINALLY got them to look at it..2 months later....serp belt, oil, batt, intake...wait..intake?...yep intake...thats a lot of work...cost $1100...I got $400 if Im lucky.

I had it towed to them for $100 ...they didn't charge me a thing to look at it......and now, today, Im having her towed back home for another $85.

Where she'll sit until I get money to fix her next year or set her aside as a keepsake and get an new used car...for more debt.......or continue to do without a car...which Ive surprisingly been able to do for so long.....a 54 year old guy stuck at home in one room for no telling how much longer.....what could be better?

Merry Christmas.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You don't bother to change the oil every decade, or at the very least keep it topped up? :grund:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Does this mean you're going to pay to have it insured and sit disabled at your house?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:03 pm Welp FINALLY got them to look at it..2 months later....serp belt, oil, batt, intake...wait..intake?...yep intake...thats a lot of work...cost $1100...
Is that the minimum that's required to make it driveable, or ALL the stuff that's wrong with it? If it's the latter, no one says you have to fix it all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ok heres whats what in order.

The auto place looked at it and said it needs.....

oil(yes I have that servicedm recently actually,)
serp belt
intake
possibly alternator

Tow guy brings it back to me started it up with a boost and drove it into my driveway.

He said the alt wasn't bad or it wouldn't be running and charging which its doing.
The serpentine belt is there and working fine too. ...else it wouldn't run.

He thinks its an electrical problem because the car stereo is fritzy...I agree with that as that happened while it was here. Like one of the amps died out.....frazz wiring.

Anyways it was running. I pulled it up into it old spot and turned it off to test it. Right away battery is dead. .Tow guy said the battery was bad but the alt is fine.

So there we are. My plan now is new year I get my Jan check and maybe have some money to spare I Uber over to Walmart with the shit battery they gave me and exchange it for a good one then bring it back and install it in the car. Then try to track down the wiring short causing problems.

May take until May next year . Ill either get it running or go to the tow guy's used car lot and get a beater that will.

Nice to have the old girl back home where I can see it and fiddle with it safely.

Now to find that damn battery receipt ...Im pretty sure they can scan the battery if not and see that I bought it this year and have my ID.
disarm

Post by disarm »

If you get a replacement battery, you might also want to look into a battery shut-off device for when the car is sitting unused. This easy method of disconnecting the battery any time you're not using the car would prevent an unidentified short/drain from ruining your battery again by constantly running it down. You could accomplish the same thing by just disconnecting the wire from the battery terminal, but a disconnect is much easier and only takes a few seconds.

We use one of these on our camper and it works great...have to disconnect the battery when it sits or the smoke/CO detector will slowly drain the battery. That's one lesson we learned the hard way...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Damn.
I could have used that in the before times. My car is just sitting dead in my driveway.
I "think" it's only a dead nattery but it hasn't been started in over 2 years so it probably needs more work. Definitely a flyid flysh at minimum mist likely.
I've had offers on it but really don't want to get rid of it. It has a bunch of sentimental value and I'm not positive i can transfer my speciality plates over to a new vehicle.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:03 pm I had it towed to them for $100 ...they didn't charge me a thing to look at it......and now, today, Im having her towed back home for another $85.
So basically you paid $185 for a full diagnostic of all the *other* things that are wrong with it but they still couldn't locate the electrical problem (that you already knew about).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Daehawk’s decisions are baffling.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:46 am Daehawk’s decisions are baffling.
I can understand this a bit. If he doesn't get it diagnosed then he has no way of knowing what repairs will cost.