1st Republican debate of 2023-24

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

1st Republican debate of 2023-24

Post by Kraken »

TFG won't be there and is counter-programming for his MAGAts. Anybody going to watch it?

Not me.
Alefroth

Re: 1st Republican debate of 2023-24

Post by Alefroth »

I'll just satisfy my curiosity with highlights the next day.
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The real question is, how many times will we have to hear Trump talk about how dismal the ratings were?

Cause we all know that almost no one is going to be watch.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A bunch of politicians with no chance of winning have to confront the 900-pound gorilla without offending his voters. TFG himself will be broadcasting his greatest hits on the gorilla channel. The pundits will spin this one in every direction.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

One of the reasons Trump isn't showing is because he refused to sign the pledge to support the eventual nominee. So everyone else, despite what they say about him, has pledged to support him. Not that that is very binding.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump isn't showing because it doesn't help him. That's it. He doesn't need any other reason. I love all the ink being spilled about how this is about humiliating the RNC and Fox. Great politics as drama-series material but I think that gives him too much credit. He doesn't need to answer questions, he doesn't need to compete, so naturally he is upstaging the whole thing and making it about him in the easiest, laziest way possible.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm glad for his absence, if only at a personal level, as I'm hoping it leads to less overall coverage. You see we're taking a trip to Mexico next week, and the last thing I want to experience are locals riled up against USAians and our terrible politics.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My prediction is that Trump will never participate in another genuine political debate (not ruling out some pretend MAGA debate through Newsmax or something).
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:
Mediaite
@Mediaite
MAGA Super PAC Trolls GOP Contenders Ahead of Debate By Asking Voters To Choose Trump’s Running Mate: Vote for ‘Your Favorite VP!’
mediaite.com
MAGA Super PAC Trolls GOP Contenders Ahead of Debate By Asking Voters To Choose Trump’s Running...
A MAGA Super PAC is trolling the eight GOP presidential contenders who qualified to debate by asking voters to choose the VP to run alongside Donald Trump.
5:30 PM · Aug 22, 2023
·
Views
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:40 am My prediction is that Trump will never participate in another genuine political debate (not ruling out some pretend MAGA debate through Newsmax or something).
That would maintain his streak of having participated in zero genuine political debates.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The entire "discussion" is exhausting to me. The guy has never had any sort of coherent political position to debate in the first place. He says whatever gets him consistent cheers from his ghoulish coalition. That's it.

The media simply covers this stuff to maximize clicks. They've surrendered to this madness. The analysis is so banal and ridiculous in most parts. It is like looking in a fun house mirror at this point. Trump coverage like this is a self-indictment by the media as much as anything else.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:13 am Trump isn't showing because it doesn't help him. That's it. He doesn't need any other reason. I love all the ink being spilled about how this is about humiliating the RNC and Fox. Great politics as drama-series material but I think that gives him too much credit. He doesn't need to answer questions, he doesn't need to compete, so naturally he is upstaging the whole thing and making it about him in the easiest, laziest way possible.
Absolutely. There is no upside and only downside for him. But vindictiveness and petty stiggin'it sell to his support so he'll say he's being vindictive and stiggin'it rather than admit he's playing it safe.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:21 pm Cause we all know that almost no one is going to be watch.
Irrelevant. Could be the most watched TV in decades. Drumpf will definitely mock and claim low ratings. As usual, facts don't have any impact on him.

So to your first statement, every single media outlet in existence is going to be quoting Drumpf on this. I'm staying off the internet. Lol.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:21 am Absolutely. There is no upside and only downside for him. But vindictiveness and petty stiggin'it sell to his support so he'll say he's being vindictive and stiggin'it rather than admit he's playing it safe.
There's an article in Rolling Stone suggesting he's intentionally not going because Fox (and Rupert Murdoch) has been disloyal; he's punishing them by withholding his ratings draw (presumably).

I am curious if they actually debate each other or just use TFG as an invisible punching bag. Christie's whole act now is railing against him but how well will that work on stage with a clown-car load of candidates that are not that guy?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:21 am The entire "discussion" is exhausting to me. The guy has never had any sort of coherent political position to debate in the first place. He says whatever gets him consistent cheers from his ghoulish coalition. That's it.

The media simply covers this stuff to maximize clicks. They've surrendered to this madness. The analysis is so banal and ridiculous in most parts. It is like looking in a fun house mirror at this point. Trump coverage like this is a self-indictment by the media as much as anything else.

But he has a plan to repeal and replace medical coverage with something better and build a wall and fix the stock market and lower unemployment and limit congressional terms, end cybercrimes while increasing US security, and rebuild US infrastructure. It's all in those stacks of binders that he stands next to.

OTOH, he did keep his promises to roll back international agreements, FUBAR (I mean revamp) NAFTA, limit immigration while increasing and encouraging inhumane treatment and hassle at the border, appoint Trump (excuse me 2A) friendly judges, and generally reduce regulations across the board concurrent with eliminating federal positions "that could easily be hired at will later" like in federal epidemiology and response.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Apparently, Burgum injured his leg, so he might not be at the debate.

I have no clue as to how it will affect things, since about the only thing I know about the guy is that he has an injured leg.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:35 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:21 am Absolutely. There is no upside and only downside for him. But vindictiveness and petty stiggin'it sell to his support so he'll say he's being vindictive and stiggin'it rather than admit he's playing it safe.
There's an article in Rolling Stone suggesting he's intentionally not going because Fox (and Rupert Murdoch) has been disloyal; he's punishing them by withholding his ratings draw (presumably).

I am curious if they actually debate each other or just use TFG as an invisible punching bag. Christie's whole act now is railing against him but how well will that work on stage with a clown-car load of candidates that are not that guy?
Use Trump as a punching bag? I imagine except for Christie they're mostly going to be slavishly praising Trump or pretending that Trump doesn't exist.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think Ruth’s Chris Christie has a chance of putting reality on the table for the rest of them to have to try and eat. Which will maybe create some conversation around the reality Christie has been trying to get some exposure to.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:37 amBut he has a plan to repeal and replace medical coverage with something better and build a wall and fix the stock market and lower unemployment and limit congressional terms, end cybercrimes while increasing US security, and rebuild US infrastructure. It's all in those stacks of binders that he stands next to.

OTOH, he did keep his promises to roll back international agreements, FUBAR (I mean revamp) NAFTA, limit immigration while increasing and encouraging inhumane treatment and hassle at the border, appoint Trump (excuse me 2A) friendly judges, and generally reduce regulations across the board concurrent with eliminating federal positions "that could easily be hired at will later" like in federal epidemiology and response.
When I say coherent I mean anything beyond the most ridiculous, highest level dumbness. None of the things that happened in his administration at any policy level mattered to Trump beyond grift or praise. Ask him about a single detail about USMCA and he'd deflect away instantly. He says things like, "I am against China' or 'Build a Wall' but that isn't a coherent policy position in itself is all I'd say.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:13 am Trump isn't showing because it doesn't help him. That's it. He doesn't need any other reason.
I didn't say it was his reason. Candidates need to sign the pledge to qualify for the debate. He didn't.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:20 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:13 am Trump isn't showing because it doesn't help him. That's it. He doesn't need any other reason.
I didn't say it was his reason. Candidates need to sign the pledge to qualify for the debate. He didn't.
I was confused here for a second and just realized it's a misunderstanding due to the appearance in the sequence. Just to be clear my comment wasn't meant to respond to your post directly above it!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

No way I'm watching this insanity. It's bad when Ramaswamy, who on the surface appears to be the most sane candidate, fully supports abolishing the Department of Education because it spreads "wokeism and transgender ideology."
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:24 pm No way I'm watching this insanity. It's bad when Ramaswamy, who on the surface appears to be the most sane candidate, fully supports abolishing the Department of Education because it spreads "wokeism and transgender ideology."
Sane? He has embraced 9/11 conspiracies to the point that even Fox took him to the woodshed over it.

He's a techbro grifter embracing MAGA extremism in order to build his brand. He probably doesn't even want a cabinet position; instead, he wants to be a Trump-endorsed businessman who can draw on Trump supporters for whatever investment scheme he plans for 2025 (whether Trump wins or not).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Granted my judgment of his sanity has been solely based on A) pictures and B) not knowing anything about him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:40 am My prediction is that Trump will never participate in another genuine political debate (not ruling out some pretend MAGA debate through Newsmax or something).
He won’t debate until his real opponents like Christie are out of the race.

Half the field is just competing to be his vice president.
Sane? He has embraced 9/11 conspiracies to the point that even Fox took him to the woodshed over it.

He's a techbro grifter embracing MAGA extremism in order to build his brand. He probably doesn't even want a cabinet position; instead, he wants to be a Trump-endorsed businessman who can draw on Trump supporters for whatever investment scheme he plans for 2025 (whether Trump wins or not).
I saw an interview with Jesse Ventura the other day. I used to think he was completely bonkers. To my horror he sounds completely sane now. The trump mk 2 candidates make the weird hair ancient aliens guy seem alright.

The goal is to remove these departments and recreate them under the direct control of the president. As in India and Russia the eventual goal is to do away with the states independent governance as well and slowly centralise everything into a president Xi style command and control structure. But clearly things will be worse under the democrats and the Biden crime family.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:35 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:21 am Christie's whole act now is railing against him but how well will that work on stage with a clown-car load of candidates that are not that guy?
Poorly. He got boo'ed so soundly as he was trying to explain his Trump position, that one of the moderators had to turn and chastise the audience for 30 seconds.

I will say this about the man, what he (and Pence) said took some balls, and at least I give them credit for standing up (even if just politically motivated, and it's probably their only legit play at this point) for the constitution in front of a VERY loud, Trump-friendly crowd.

The techbro is absolutely awful - unbearable. Trump ass-kisser.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think Nikki Haley will be said to have won the night.
I think DeSantis was a dud.

I think the audience, at times, demonstrated an interestingly sharp divide between GOP voters.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:46 pm I think the audience, at times, demonstrated an interestingly sharp divide between GOP voters.

I know my dad watched because he didn't want "to be forced to vote for Trump." While I get the sentiment, I don't get the specifics. I wanted to swallow the bile and watch so I can know what he's talking about when he inevitably calls tomorrow with his daily propaganda. As an old man on Eastern, I fell asleep, though.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I refused to watch but I read the coverage. The coverage reinforces what I already knew. There is no hope for the Republican party. As usual it was clear that the meanness has metastasized further in ways that are profound. I don't know how anyone can read about this and come away with any different conclusion.

For example, apparently Christie was attacked by the loathsome and (frankly evil) Ramaswamy for hugging Obama after Katrina. This has been a long-time criticism of Christie. There are many things to criticize Christie about but this isn't one of them. The real issue though is you just have to step back though and think about it to see how fundamentally terrible it is though. Christie showed basic gratefulness for support and compassion from a national leader during a disaster. That's it. And they vilify him for it - nearly 15 years later. That's just...crazy. This is not a political movement. It is a force of darkness and it must be shunned and dismantled. We can't heal when the other side is basically oozing with poison. I don't know if it gets worse but it isn't getting better.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DeSantis is such a coward. When the moderator asked candidates to raise their hands if they would support Trump if he got the nomination but was convicted of one of his many crimes, DeSantis hung back and waited to see what the others did before raiding his hand. He’s worthless in so many ways.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:42 am DeSantis is such a coward. When the moderator asked candidates to raise their hands if they would support Trump if he got the nomination but was convicted of one of his many crimes, DeSantis hung back and waited to see what the others did before raiding his hand. He’s worthless in so many ways.
Literally all of them but Hutchison eventually raised their hand, even Pence, which is beyond worthless for me.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah it literally made me sick to see these toadies raise their hand in loyalty to their cult leader. This party is beyond broken, and it's absolutely frightening how one horrible, horrible man has such a sway over half of an entire country. I mean I have friends I've known all my life, good, decent people, who are going to vote for a guy indicted for 91 felonies. A known liar, a guy known for sexual assault, a guy known for cheating anyone and everyone he associates with. And not bat an eye. Insanity.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

All those who would support Trump if he becomes the Republican nominee, raise their hand.

Enlarge Image

(yeah I went there)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wait, "Tucker on X" is a thing? They platformed that motherfucker?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:53 am Wait, "Tucker on X" is a thing? They platformed that motherfucker?
Yep, that's where he went after Fox canned him.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also (imho) important to note:

Everyone is asked to raise their hand if they believe in man-made climate change and DeSantis immediately deflects after no one is brave enough to raise their hand. Ramaswamy then calls "climate change" a hoax.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have I mentioned lately that we're fucked?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I guess Nikki Haley "won" and DeSantis "lost" in the expectations game. They're all losers IMO, but I knew that before the debate. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:04 am
Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:42 am DeSantis is such a coward. When the moderator asked candidates to raise their hands if they would support Trump if he got the nomination but was convicted of one of his many crimes, DeSantis hung back and waited to see what the others did before raiding his hand. He’s worthless in so many ways.
Literally all of them but Hutchison eventually raised their hand, even Pence, which is beyond worthless for me.
Fucking spineless asshole almost gets assaulted through the direct the actions of Trump and he STILL wants to fellate him in the alley behind a Piggly Wiggly.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:10 am They're all losers IMO, but I knew that before the debate. :)
So did they. They're not vying for beating Trump. They're vying for the slot if Trump ends up not being in the election for whatever reason, and whatever the odds.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)