Freaking out a bit...possible virus affecting my desktop icons?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Freaking out a bit...possible virus affecting my desktop icons?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I Googled this already and saw nothing.

Yesterday I noticed that SOME of my Win 11 desktop icons had what seemed to be a tiny image of a file superimposed on the icon, at the bottom. Later that day, I noticed the image changed to a red dragon (TINY...I had to really squint to see it was a dragon). Now today, I see a green circle with checkmarks.

The only thing I saw by Googling was a reference to Onedrive syncing, but I don't think that's it (well, at least not the dragons or the file images). I rebooted, and the dragons went away (last night).

The green check marks I see referenced everywhere as being Onedrive backup related (i effing HATE Onedrive and the way it's integrated into Win 11 BTW). But the dragons?! No idea. Made sure I was up to date with latest Win updates and I was.

Should I be concerned? Run Malwarebytes maybe, or something else?
gilraen

Re: Freaking out a bit...possible virus affecting my desktop icons?

Post by gilraen »

The superimposed icons are usually an indication of another program doing something with those files (usually backup or antivirus). So it would be an indication that the file is backed up or scanned. I'm familiar with green checkmark, that's OneDrive (and yes, it annoys me too that Win 11 wants to put everything on OneDrive by default).

I don't know the others off the top of my head, but figure out what application you recently installed (or check in Add & Remove Programs and sort by date installed, if you are worried something got installed by accident).