OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Post by hentzau »

That's right, boys and girls, it has returned. This time for sure!!! I've blocked my calendar, shooed away the Boy Scouts from that weekend, and have secured the facilities. More details to follow, watch this space, block your calendars, and make your travel arrangements!

:horse:

Details:

What: OctoCon XXVII

When: Friday, October 27th, Noon to Midnight and Saturday, October 28th, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $10 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos. Con Favorite (well, my favorite because it was so close) Al's Pizza didn't survive the pandemic.

I will provide 3-4 dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

(Note: I have no clue if any of this is still valid...)

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

ThatSteveGuy and Kristie have stayed at the Aloft Hotel in nearby Rosemont and have recommended it highly.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Questions, let me know.
Last edited by hentzau on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Re: OctoCon Returns!!! October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

Post by hepcat »

Let me check my calen….

Ah who the hell am I kidding. In! Whoo hoo!
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Also in! It’s even after extended tax season!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's not unpossible that I might be able to bring the kids that Saturday. I'll likely have to be home to work late afternoon/evening, but mornings maybe...

Wife works Friday night, but kids have activities until 7:30 -- son has taekwondo sparring followed by piano lesson (how's that for a change up), and daughter has something near and dear to your heart -- music theater.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alas, I am out. Perhaps the next one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Likely to wait until I have a new car and then evaluate my life then. As it goes, I just don't trust my car to make it nor my current finances to "vacation" for a weekend. Have fun!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bah, I've got another trip already planned--have fun, all! I'll try for 2024.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

:happy-jumpeveryone:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Calendar marked.
Hopefully my OctoCon suit still fits...
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

looking forward to it.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Not sure if I can get there or not. Gotta clear it with my wife.
Also, my body doesn't like long drives anymore either.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got clearance from the church that those dates are good. Just updated the alpha post with the usual nonsense.

I'm trying to resist the urge to spend all of my time playing Pulp Alley over Octocon weekend. I have at least 2 planned games of it already...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fardaza wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:44 am
Also, my body doesn't like long drives anymore either.
You and me both, brother. I drove around 9 hours straight over the holidays at one point last year and it took me 3 months to get over the messed up back that caused me. I used to be able to drive for days without a problem, for cryin' out loud.

Anyway, thankfully this event is about 30 minutes from me.
He won. Period.
Bad Demographic

Re: OctoCon Returns!!! OctoCon XXVII, October 27-28, 2023 - Chicago

We drove up from New Mexico for one Octocon but probably will never do that drive again. We'll be flying up this year - should get there sometime on Thursday.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of these years I'll make it, but the current lack of vehicle and lack of funds for food and lodging mean it'll have to be another time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
mrvole

Post by mrvole »

Hooray for the return of Octocon! I will be there.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Very cool that OctoCon IS on, way to go hentzau! We (telcta and myself) really had a great OO time all those years ago Looking forward to the pictures and friends posting gaming adventures!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Giving this a bump because we're 4 days away. I need to start getting my games together and getting ready. I've bought lots of soda, and will have some snacks on the first day.

I think my plan for the first day is all board and card and etc games. I'm thinking about breaking out some older "horror" games in honor of the season, like Fury of Dracula, Last Night on Earth, A Touch of Evil, etc. Then I may be doing mostly minis games on Saturday. I'm going to be bringing lots of Pulp Alley stuff to play if anyone is interested.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll grab some snacks on my way in Friday, then the usual donuts and what not on Saturday.

I figure Cthulhu Death May Die will work great for a Halloween themed game session that plays in 2 to 3 hours or less. But I may bring my Mansions of Madness 2nd edition too if folks want a longer horror game.

I'll of course load my car up with a lot of other games too. I'll be reviewing as many rulebooks as I can in the evenings this week.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ve really been out of the board game scene for the past couple of years. I’ve been spending all of my gaming time on Pulp Alley and the occasional D&D game.

I’m going to be running a bunch of PA games at RockCon next weekend so I may want to playtest if anyone is up for trying a random game.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’m excited to see what you’ve come up with, hentzau.

I’m bringing:
Mosaic - Story of Civilizations
Vindication
Townsfolk Tussle
After the Empire
Earth
Expeditions

I’m tempted to bring Car Wars but it’ll be easier once the new sourcebook comes out.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to make it despite living much closer these days. Evenings are chaos at my house that can't leave my wife with, and Saturday is our block party. It's possible I'll be able to swing by for a short time in the morning, but that'll depend on how things are proceeding at home.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Will this block party have a bouncy house on site? And can you include your address in the reply?
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It will have a bouncy house! And a caramel apple station! And a pumpkin decorating station! And I'm in charge of pinatas, so I got 3 of them - including one that is 21+!

I'm pretty sure Archinerd knows what block I live on - swing by!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:51 am It will have a bouncy house! And a caramel apple station! And a pumpkin decorating station! And I'm in charge of pinatas, so I got 3 of them - including one that is 21+!

OctoCon's cancelled. Everyone meet up an ILB's house!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Bad Demographic

Sounds terrific! I'll start practicing swinging sticks while blindfolded. Don't forget those donuts, hepcat.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:07 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:51 am It will have a bouncy house! And a caramel apple station! And a pumpkin decorating station! And I'm in charge of pinatas, so I got 3 of them - including one that is 21+!

OctoCon's cancelled. Everyone meet up an ILB's house!

Bounce house Pulp Alley!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would watch hepcat after Jolly Inn margaritas in a bounce house. Or hitting piñata. You could charge admission or release it as reality TV.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:36 pm I would watch hepcat after Jolly Inn margaritas in a bounce house.
From a safe distance.

Behind a Mythbusters blast shield.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will bounce as no man has bounced before me...
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I hate it when I get a last minute idea for a game and then scramble to put it all together.

Did these guys tonight. Slimer and ECTO-1 tomorrow.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:I will bounce as no man has bounced before me...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:43 am I hate it when I get a last minute idea for a game and then scramble to put it all together.

Did these guys tonight. Slimer and ECTO-1 tomorrow.

I have long considered putting together a set themed after one of the great modern pulp shows for Pulp Alley. The A-Team, Gold Monkey, and Stargate SG-1 are at the top of my list.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 am
hepcat wrote:I will bounce as no man has bounced before me...
Sorry, wrong episode.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I do! And now I've even spotted you heading into the Dunkin Donuts near my office downtown now... so I assume we work a few blocks away from each other too. :P

I'm at a near ZERO chance of being able to make Friday work. Too many logistics and moving parts on my end, but who knows, maybe I'll show up in the evening.
I'm all in for Saturday though.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's pretty funny. I'm only downtown 1 or 2 days a week, so savor the rare sighting!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So not ready…
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let some of us pick up some of the responsibility. I’ll grab water and snacks on my way in. If we need anything else, just have one of us do it.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Let some of us pick up some of the responsibility. I’ll grab water and snacks on my way in. If we need anything else, just have one of us do it.
Oh, that’s not the issue. I was trying to get some stuff together and painted for a PA game and I ran out of time. OctoCon itself mostly consists of being there to open up. Everything else runs itself. No worries!