I want a new SSD, but...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

I want a new SSD, but...

Post by Kasey Chang »

My mainboard is old enough that I know it doesn't have any M-2 slots. The existing 2 HDs (1 SSD 1 HDD) are SATA.

I can see that any M.2 to PCI or SATA adapter is going to add $10-20 so any savings I get on the M.2 is not going to be worth it, and I should just buy a SATA SSD, right?

(That Samsung M.2 970EVO 2TB for $80 is awfully tempting on Amazon sale)

But I can get Crucial 2TB for $80 and PNY or Patriot for $62 (SATA), and those aren't no-name makers like "Fanxiang" or Somnambulist
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: I want a new SSD, but...

Post by Daehawk »

I got an adapter card and 500g m.2 for $30 the other week. Crucial drive at that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Re: I want a new SSD, but...

Post by Kasey Chang »

Right now I have a 250GB SDD, 1 TB HDD internal, and a 4TB HDD external (on a "SATA Dock") connected through USB3. I actually have ANOTHER 3TB (or 4TB) HDD I can put in internally along with the new SSD when I want to commit, but I think I will pay down my credit card first, this can wait till end of the year or whenever Amazon have another sale, LOL.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds