Overheating GPU?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Overheating GPU?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've started seeing a few titles just freeze up after about 15-20m of play, and I think it's the GPU. I keep my house 76 degrees F, so it's probably not ambient temps. Downloaded HW Monitor and played a little Diablo II Resurrected, and it went to around 88º C almost immediately. Seems hot, no? What in the world do I do? I still have not even put my case sides back on yet from when I installed the new PSU and GPU about a month ago! (which I assume would mean better cooling?)

Argh. Never had a heat issue before. Is undervolting a GPU a thing, and should I try that maybe? I've heard of doing that for CPU's.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naednek

Re: Overheating GPU?

Post by naednek »

yes having it enclosed should help, assuming you have air flow going in the right directions...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

What's at 88 again? GPU? On my RTX that thing stays much cooler than my CPU, even under load. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:17 am What's at 88 again? GPU? On my RTX that thing stays much cooler than my CPU, even under load. :)
Yes GPU goes to 88C. CPU is well below that (I suspected CPU heat at first).
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:08 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:17 am What's at 88 again? GPU? On my RTX that thing stays much cooler than my CPU, even under load. :)
Yes GPU goes to 88. CPU is well below that (I suspected CPU heat at first).
Reading a bit it looks like the AMD driver suite/software overclocks by default? Booo.

I’m starting to regret my switch to AMD already.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some of the AMDs are designed to run hotter so its not necessarily overheating out of spec. Still there is some weird stuff on the AMD overheating front too, there was some talk earlier in the year that there were some issues with their cooling that might depend on their orientation. Not knowing if it is vertical or horizontal, you could try running it on its side to change the orientation and see if that has impact for you.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, now I don't think it's overheating. Just weird game freezing, and temps are WAY under any concern according to HWMonitor.

Driver? Poot.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Was that 88 Celsius or Fahrenheit?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gilraen wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:16 pm Was that 88 Celsius or Fahrenheit?
Should have clarified, sorry, Celsius (since that is how HWMonitor is reporting) I went back and edited post.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Whether it's AMD or NVIDIA, the software suite should let you order the fans to go full speed. Verify the fans are spinning fast.
words
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I tried undervolting the GPU via the Adrenaline software. If that doesn't do it, I will uninstall Adrenaline, as I read that that can be problematic itself (someone on here in a different thread mentioned it).