NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by JCC »

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:24 pm Holy shit. :shock:

haha, beat me by a nose. :)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

...and will be joining the Carolina Panthers as their new head coach!!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:25 pm ...and will be joining the Carolina Panthers as their new head coach!!
He did a lot better than people give him credit for the first time around - he was destroyed by the Dolphins not signing Drew Brees and instead going with Culpepper.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So Michigan caused him to flee East Lansing, and then pushed him into retirement from Tuscaloosa.

(Yes, it's always about Michigan.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:06 pm So Michigan caused him to flee East Lansing, and then pushed him into retirement from Tuscaloosa.

(Yes, it's always about Michigan.)
After reading this post I'm Definitely wearing my bright yellow U of M sweatshirt to work tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lanning to take Bama job? This Eugene TV station says yes apparently

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TBH, another classy move by Saban in waiting until today to announce so the news didn’t dominate the National Championship or the day after to let UW/Michigan have the stage to themselves.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I think Lane Kiffin would have been a better choice but Lanning was the safe pick.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Just learned about this. I used to hate Alabama but Saban won with class. I never liked them but I learned to accept them, something I can’t say about Ohio State.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Apollo wrote:I think Lane Kiffin would have been a better choice but Lanning was the safe pick.
From Alabama insiders, kiffin has a lot of baggage. I like him but he apparently needs handlers to keep him out of trouble. Lanning may be here for interview only to get a raise from Oregon. We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:24 am TBH, another classy move by Saban in waiting until today to announce so the news didn’t dominate the National Championship or the day after to let UW/Michigan have the stage to themselves.
Agreed.

He also could have easily done a "final season" tour with the media showering him with praise all year (**cough**Coach K**cough**) but chose not to. I respect that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Alabama Democratic Party on Wednesday hinted it would be open to Saban running for U.S. Senate under its banner.
“Nick Saban for US Senate. Save us from Tommy Tuberville one more time”
anything more would be R&P...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Who would want the job to replace Saban? It's hard enough replacing a long-time successful coach, but replacing the one who is generally considered the greatest of all time? It's not like Alabama is guaranteed to keep humming along at the same rate - they've had fallow periods in the past. Just look at the period immediately prior to Saban. I would think a lot of coaches will get raises/extensions out of this but will ultimately stay in a safer situation.

Meanwhile, tough night for the Vacate/Asterisk crowd:

Spoiler:
Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
Charlie Baker does not “regret” his “unusual” decision to alert the Big Ten to the Michigan sign-stealing inquiry and believes it helps legitimize Wolverines title.

“No one believes at this point that Michigan didn’t win the national title fair & square"
From sports.yahoo.com
6:34 PM · Jan 10, 2024
·
Views
Investigation continues, but this doesn't sound like someone inclined to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the championship. I'm guessing there will be some final punishment for coaches/staff, and maybe some minor punishments for the program in terms of scholarships or a fine. I'd guess show causes for Stalions and Partridge (LB coach) and time served for Harbaugh, but maybe that's just me being wishful. NCAA typically only vacates for use of ineligible players, and we haven't seen any indication that players were ineligible, so that should be that.

When the news was leaking out I mentioned that whoever was doing the leaking - and we may never know who it was (*cough*Ohio State*cough* *cough*Ryan Day*cough*) was doing a masterful job with the slow leaks that dramatized the situation and kept the hits coming. Turns out they should have waited until after the season was over. Because it came out when it did, Michigan faced the tough part of its schedule with everyone aware of it and able to adapt. Had they leaked it now, though, people would be able to still viably claim the scheme gave Michigan some sort of edge that tainted its wins.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 amthe Asterisk crowd:
I should be clear.

I think Michigan was the best team this year and 'deserves' the title.

My point is this: If I were on that team, I would be pissed as hell that the leadership of the program went out and did illegal pre-game scouting. It puts a legitimate shadow on what should have been just an epic year and an unimpeachable right to the national title.

Any honest Michigan fan would agree.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 am Who would want the job to replace Saban? It's hard enough replacing a long-time successful coach, but replacing the one who is generally considered the greatest of all time? It's not like Alabama is guaranteed to keep humming along at the same rate - they've had fallow periods in the past. Just look at the period immediately prior to Saban. I would think a lot of coaches will get raises/extensions out of this but will ultimately stay in a safer situation.
Won't it be safer for Lanning or DeBoer to coach at Alabama instead of having to face Michigan next year and in B1G Championships? :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 am When the news was leaking out I mentioned that whoever was doing the leaking - and we may never know who it was (*cough*Ohio State*cough* *cough*Ryan Day*cough*) was doing a masterful job with the slow leaks that dramatized the situation and kept the hits coming. Turns out they should have waited until after the season was over. Because it came out when it did, Michigan faced the tough part of its schedule with everyone aware of it and able to adapt. Had they leaked it now, though, people would be able to still viably claim the scheme gave Michigan some sort of edge that tainted its wins.
[sweet summer child]Such a lawyer/strategic view on something that should simply be judged on the deed itself. [/sweet summer child]
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:42 am
I should be clear.

My point is this: If I were on that team, I would be pissed as hell that the leadership of the program went out and did illegal pre-game scouting. It puts a legitimate shadow on what should have been just an epic year and an unimpeachable right to the national title.

Got it. We're at the ad hominem point in the discussion where you call me dishonest.

And, barring new revelations, you're just flat-out wrong. Leadership of the program didn't do anything. A low-level staffer did it on his own (with possible financial support from a booster).

Since you don't seem to be interested in facts or doing this without name calling, though, I think we can drop this.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:42 am
I should be clear.

I don't think any of those players feel like there is a taint on this title. I'm not a player so I don't know this for certain but I would be shocked if any of them are pissed at team leadership or sitting with their heads in their hands lamenting that they have an ill-gotten title.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 am Who would want the job to replace Saban? It's hard enough replacing a long-time successful coach, but replacing the one who is generally considered the greatest of all time? It's not like Alabama is guaranteed to keep humming along at the same rate - they've had fallow periods in the past. Just look at the period immediately prior to Saban. I would think a lot of coaches will get raises/extensions out of this but will ultimately stay in a safer situation.

Meanwhile, tough night for the Vacate/Asterisk crowd:

Spoiler:
Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
Charlie Baker does not “regret” his “unusual” decision to alert the Big Ten to the Michigan sign-stealing inquiry and believes it helps legitimize Wolverines title.

“No one believes at this point that Michigan didn’t win the national title fair & square"
From sports.yahoo.com
6:34 PM · Jan 10, 2024
·
Views
Investigation continues, but this doesn't sound like someone inclined to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the championship. I'm guessing there will be some final punishment for coaches/staff, and maybe some minor punishments for the program in terms of scholarships or a fine. I'd guess show causes for Stalions and Partridge (LB coach) and time served for Harbaugh, but maybe that's just me being wishful. NCAA typically only vacates for use of ineligible players, and we haven't seen any indication that players were ineligible, so that should be that.

When the news was leaking out I mentioned that whoever was doing the leaking - and we may never know who it was (*cough*Ohio State*cough* *cough*Ryan Day*cough*) was doing a masterful job with the slow leaks that dramatized the situation and kept the hits coming. Turns out they should have waited until after the season was over. Because it came out when it did, Michigan faced the tough part of its schedule with everyone aware of it and able to adapt. Had they leaked it now, though, people would be able to still viably claim the scheme gave Michigan some sort of edge that tainted its wins.
the vacate/asterisk crowd is stupid (I didn't even know of any, but knowing sports, I'm sure there are some). The sign stealing was essentially in prior year(s), and in no way impugns this year's team and their accomplishments, especially with how much of a cakewalk the non-con was as it was breaking. there would have been an argument if Michigan had won it last year, but not this year.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 am
Won't it be safer for Lanning or DeBoer to coach at Alabama instead of having to face Michigan next year and in B1G Championships? :wink:
For the next couple years Oregon and Washington will consider 10 win seasons a success. Whoever takes over at Alabama better be in the semifinals every other year at worst.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:35 pm
DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 am
For the next couple years Oregon and Washington will consider 10 win seasons a success. Whoever takes over at Alabama better be in the semifinals every other year at worst.
FWIW, Lanning appears to have said no:
Amid rumors that Lanning was Alabama's top target to replace Nick Saban, the second-year Oregon coach announced Thursday that he has decided to stay in Eugene with the Ducks. The program released this video with a recruiting-focused message telling players Lanning would not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't blame him. Oregon appears to be building something pretty damn special.

And if he can leverage a Bama offer get a raise, more power to him.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am We're at the ad hominem point in the discussion where you call me dishonest.
Whoa, um - not really. First - I misread you and thought you knew I was speaking much more 'friendly' and informally than you are clearly taking it - and that's on me - so I apologize and will not assume that level of familiarity in the future. I'm honestly sorry.

Second, I'm (obviously) not paying a ton of attention to the details about it all because I don't care all that much - for instance -> I don't even know what the "Vacate" crowd is. I mentioned the asterisk earlier (I assume it was mostly my term so if I accidentally mirrored some #asterisks movement, I didn't mean to) - as I do feel like their season has this mark on it. Is it a big deal, I suppose to you and to the team it isn't - I think if I was on the team, it would annoy the hell out of me that it happened in my big year. I don't know how that doesn't make sense to you, others, or everyone (that was my 'honest' comment - not a claim that you are dishonest).

Anyhow - sorry for ticking you off. Not my intention. Go Blue.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am We're at the ad hominem point in the discussion where you call me dishonest.
Whoa, um - not really. First - I misread you and thought you knew I was speaking much more 'friendly' and informally than you are clearly taking it - and that's on me - so I apologize and will not assume that level of familiarity in the future. I'm honestly sorry.

Second, I'm (obviously) not paying a ton of attention to the details about it all because I don't care all that much - for instance -> I don't even know what the "Vacate" crowd is. I mentioned the asterisk earlier (I assume it was mostly my term so if I accidentally mirrored some #asterisks movement, I didn't mean to) - as I do feel like their season has this mark on it. Is it a big deal, I suppose to you and to the team it isn't - I think if I was on the team, it would annoy the hell out of me that it happened in my big year. I don't know how that doesn't make sense to you, others, or everyone (that was my 'honest' comment - not a claim that you are dishonest).

There have been several national champions who have been accused of worse. USC with Reggie Bush, Auburn with Cam Newton, and of course the UCLA and North Carolina basketball teams. The only one to get in trouble was Reggie Bush, and he has turned out okay.

Michigan’s little escapade will be forgotten in no time, unless of course Harbaugh insists on declaring his innocence with every press conference.

Believe me, the Michigan players believe nothing was done wrong.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Tone is sometimes hard to read on a forum. I appreciate your clarification and apologize for assuming the worst instead of seeking clarification.

The "vacate" crowd is the one that is saying that the NCAA is going to vacate/wipe away the last 3 years of wins and championships (3 Big Ten, 1 National). It's always been a specious argument since the NCAA typically only vacates wins or titles when ineligible players are involved. Since nothing in the sign stealing drama implicates player eligibility, wins/titles will not be vacated unless the NCAA is interested in setting a new precedent. Given the NCAA President's statement, it doesn't seem likely.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

At first, I was hearing about the candidates I expected to hear about for the Alabama job: Sarkisian, Kiffin, Lanning. But now they're dropping all sorts of names, many whom could definitely do a Mark Richt type job and go 9-3 every year, just good enough to keep from getting fired but not good enough to have a chance of recreating Saban's success IMHO.

Alabama has a loooong history of bad coaching hires in the football program and I'm now getting a pretty strong vibe that they would rather take someone like Maryland's head coach over Lane Kiffin, who may not relate well to 60 and 70 yr old boosters, but relates very well to the players he is trying to recruit and coach.

With Auburn's hire of Hugh Freeze and the increasing chance Alabama will blow this coaching hire, I now think there's a real chance Auburn could once again become the dominant program in the state. :horse:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hearing (from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg) that "most prominent possibilities" are DeBoer, Norvell, and . . . . Tommy Rees???

I think that DeBoer would be the best hire of the three. If you go with Rees, you're essentially just saying that you're going to give it 3 years to reset and then hire someone who won't be scared off by directly following Saban.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 am

Tone is sometimes hard to read on a forum. I appreciate your clarification and apologize for assuming the worst instead of seeking clarification.

The "vacate" crowd is the one that is saying that the NCAA is going to vacate/wipe away the last 3 years of wins and championships (3 Big Ten, 1 National). It's always been a specious argument since the NCAA typically only vacates wins or titles when ineligible players are involved. Since nothing in the sign stealing drama implicates player eligibility, wins/titles will not be vacated unless the NCAA is interested in setting a new precedent. Given the NCAA President's statement, it doesn't seem likely.
As indicated above, I think the 'vacate' crowd are pretty much only in the michigan/anti-michigan flame wars. I follow CFB pretty closely and haven't heard of anyone saying this is a thing.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:52 pm As indicated above, I think the 'vacate' crowd are pretty much only in the michigan/anti-michigan flame wars. I follow CFB pretty closely and haven't heard of anyone saying this is a thing.
Same. Only place I've even heard it mentioned is here.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's a Very Big Thing for Ohio State and Michigan State fans, as you might expect.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sucks for Washington, but he seems like a good choice.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Probably as good as they could have done. it'll be interesting to see what he can do with Alabama's talent level (and if he can keep that same level of talent coming).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:Probably as good as they could have done. it'll be interesting to see what he can do with Alabama's talent level (and if he can keep that same level of talent coming).
Alabama NIL will ensure the talent. Tho I don't know if Milroe will fit... But Rodgers will probably flip his qb commitment to UW.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Everyone has NIL money these days, particularly at the elite level. It'll take more than that to keep getting top 3 classes.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:33 pm Everyone has NIL money these days, particularly at the elite level. It'll take more than that to keep getting top 3 classes.
Yeah, but in the SEC, they have FAR more practice at buying players ;)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jed Fisch from AZ is headed to Washington.

Can’t say I’m too sad about that. AZ is a conference for that was definitely on the rise under Fisch. This will set them back for sure.

And I don’t give a crap what happens to WA now that they’re in the B1G.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Arizona hired the San Jose State coach. He had interviewed for the job last time.

I see it was reported that Harbaugh has interviewed for the Chargers job, along with several others.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 pm Arizona hired the San Jose State coach. He had interviewed for the job last time.

I see it was reported that Harbaugh has interviewed for the Chargers job, along with several others.
It's about time Brent Brennan got promoted out of SJSU.

I still expect Harbaugh to stay at Michigan. It's a better gig, if he can color between the lines.