Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC

Post by JCC »

I saw a couple web sites online reporting it was sold out, but maybe they were clowning...

I did buy a physical copy today and have done one shrine.... I don't know. I loved BotW but by the end I was very weary of many of the mechanics of the game. Even though I haven't played BotW since the Switch launch, I already find myself cringing at some of these mechanics years later. We'll see if I can stick with it. Need to get past the training wheels phase and see if I am up for the sequel...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, I am absolutely terrible at combat in this game. I get my ass kicked nearly every encounter. Doubly so in the Underdark where every hit disables a heart. That…didn’t go well for me. :?

Also, I hate puzzles where I can’t figure out for the life of me what the developers want you to do. I’ve done pretty good on the shrines so far, but am stuck on one that just completely baffles me (a hot air balloon one). I truly have zero idea how I would do it, and that’s aggravating.

After five “Game Over” screens and 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to figure out WTF the game wanted me to do, I just turned it off in frustration tonight.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:51 am Man, I am absolutely terrible at combat in this game. I get my ass kicked nearly every encounter. Doubly so in the Underdark where every hit disables a heart. That…didn’t go well for me. :?

Also, I hate puzzles where I can’t figure out for the life of me what the developers want you to do. I’ve done pretty good on the shrines so far, but am stuck on one that just completely baffles me (a hot air balloon one). I truly have zero idea how I would do it, and that’s aggravating.

After five “Game Over” screens and 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to figure out WTF the game wanted me to do, I just turned it off in frustration tonight.
Sorry you're having a rough go. I've only had one air balloon shrine so far but it was pretty straightforward. Guessing it was diff. The baseball bat one took me some time, tho.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:19 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:51 am Man, I am absolutely terrible at combat in this game. I get my ass kicked nearly every encounter. Doubly so in the Underdark where every hit disables a heart. That…didn’t go well for me. :?

Sorry you're having a rough go. I've only had one air balloon shrine so far but it was pretty straightforward. Guessing it was diff. The baseball bat one took me some time, tho.
I did figure out the baseball bat one. Took forever to get the angles right, but did finally get it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:19 pm
As open-world games go, I still prefer Horizon and Witcher 3 over Zelda, tbh.

Actually having a compelling and well-written story in an open world will always engage me far more than the meandering exploration style in games like Zelda or Elden Ring where the story is mostly an afterthought.

Ymmv
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I like both types, but have found that the last two Zelda games have a pretty good balance in sprinkling in story. Elden Ring not so much. I love games where it feels like everything is alive and that the world has some semblance of physics/interaction. The Witcher the world is pretty and fun to explore, but you can't really interact with things.

Yesterday I took a plank of wood and strapped rockets on it and made a jet sled. :lol: I was driving in thinking I probably could make a makeshift missile by strapping bombs to something and launching it. And it will probably work because the world works the way I think it would.

I'm loving it so far. I've been spending most of my time just uncovering the main map. It's kind of mind blowing how they took an existing map and made it so fresh. The only bummer is that with how the world is setup and how you recall your horse it makes it pretty much useless. He ends up stranded somewhere when I need to fly somewhere quick and the only way to get him back is to find a stable. Hopefully they have some mechanics that were in the 1st game that I haven't found yet.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:04 pm All of this:

TotK Absolutely Lives Up to the Hype.
I will say that Nintendo is particularly good at hyping their games, and I find their particular market overly supportive of anything they turn out.

I am not saying anything negative about Tears at all, just that I have my toe in the pool of many game systems and pay (somewhat) attention to all of them, and the nintendo community is the closest to revering their game company.

I'm glad Tears is getting good reviews. I'm not (overly) surprised. I want it to be amazing for my daughter, and it sounds like it will be.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think Nintendo has well earned their praise when it comes to their core games. They have almost a 100% success rate at being amazing as they will hold onto a game until it's ready. While I can appreciate that some people may not like the current Zelda formula the execution is worlds ahead of pretty much anything anyone else does. (Elden Ring is up there too...).

If your daughter liked the first one she's going to love this one. I've been playing it as much as I can all weekend.

Mario has there been a bad mainline game?
Zelda for the mainline there's probably only one bad game The Adventure of Link
Metroid all awesome imho
Mario Kart all awesome
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Collector's edition has arrived. Huzzah. Can't open it until she gets home from school.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:50 pm Collector's edition has arrived. Huzzah. Can't open it until she gets home from school.
Hope she doesn't have homework tonight. :horse:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:50 pm Collector's edition has arrived. Huzzah. Can't open it until she gets home from school.
Could be worse... still 11 days until my kids birthday. This is the last week of school. Next week he does have marching band for 3 or4 days so it will kind of keep him occupied, but I suspect he will spend the next several weeks buried in the kingdom and I hope there are few tears.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice! I'm kind of glad I didn't see it before I already bought everything as damn it's cool. I don't really have room for all the stuff, but I also lack self control. :D

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:00 pm

Actually having a compelling and well-written story in an open world will always engage me far more than the meandering exploration style in games like Zelda or Elden Ring where the story is mostly an afterthought.

Ymmv
SO MUCH THIS!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:56 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:00 pm

Ymmv
SO MUCH THIS!
I've been thinking about this quite a bit as I read glowing review after glowing review and wonder why I don't like these games as much as others do. I think that about the time I hit the 10 hour mark in TotK and shut it off yet again in frustration last night, I finally realized why these games have never clicked with me.

First is the combat. I simply can't do the combat in this game. I've tried and tried and my brain simply refuses to wrap itself around the mechanics. Even after probably 30 hours (between BotW and TotK), I still just cannot grok it. It's not even the disposable weapons (which annoy me), it's the general mechanics of it all. I always find myself fumbling with the inputs, with the lock-on, with the weapon switching...it all just feels incredibly clunky. I know I'm generally shit with action game mechanics in general, but this one feels particularly bad for some reason.

Second is the general structure of it all. The fun that everyone else seems to be having with these sort games (Zelda, Elden Ring, etc) is the thrill of exploration and discovery. Of finding something new and unexpected around a corner. Of wandering off into the unknown and seeing what adventures you find. Of having a general goal, but getting lost and distracted by all the creative things you can do on the way to completing that objective.

Everyone else loves that. I hate it.

See, in my life, I'm a very structured person. I wake up at the exact same time every morning. I eat the exact same thing for breakfast and lunch every single day. I have very specific routines that I follow for work. Everything I do is planned out, and I leave very little to chance. "Spontaneous" is simply not a word that enters my vocabulary.

So when I'm presented by a huge open game world of infinite possibilities, I actually feel a bit of anxiety and unease rather than excitement. I see the main goal and my brain immediately goes to trying to figure out the most efficient way to get there and complete it. When I stumble across a random cave or well or other secret, I always have to go check it out (because it's RIGHT THERE) but I end up annoyed rather than excited that the exploration is now taking me down a side path.

In a game like Horizon or Witcher 3, there is a big open world but it has a significant amount of information that helps me to plan. I can see on the map where things are. There are typically markers that show me where points of interest will be so I can decide whether I want to veer off and chase something, rather than coming across it by chance. It's a very minor change, but one that makes all the difference for how I play games. A game that provides structure within an open world? Awesome. A game that turns you loose in a big world and lets you figure it all out on your own. Frustration.

I think it's the same reason why I've never enjoyed sandbox MMO's or survival games past the first few hours. Once the "training wheels" come off and you're free to do whatever you want, I just sort of...freeze. I don't have a creative bone in my entire body, so it ends up all just feeling frustrating instead of open and exciting. I keep buying these games in the hopes that one of them will figure out the secret to turning off the analytical, over-planning part of my brain and just let me enjoy the damn thing...but I have yet to find one. :(

The lack of a compelling story is another major point, but I won't belabor that one. Some people like in-depth, character driven stories, others don't care.

Anyways, this is all just a very long way of saying "this isn't a game for me", but found it to be an interesting bit of introspection. YMMV.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That makes perfect sense, but I would think Horizon with the 10 million icons would drive you nuts too. :lol: I absolutely love just wandering around and finding crap. Making it to the end of the game is the side quest for me. :D

JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still on the introductory island and have only gained two of the powers, but I feel completely overwhelmed and intimidated by this game. Maybe I am just getting dumber as I age, but I can't even remember the controls well in this game. I am hoping this will eventually click with me, but am pretty unexcited to return to it at this point.

Either way, I really hope we will eventually get another Ocarina/Wind Waker/Twighlight Princess type Zelda game again some day.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Last night I had one of those fun off-the-beaten-path encounters, when I missed my landing while cloud-surfing. I was considering fast-traveling back up when a shrine in a strange location caught my eye below. ''Why the hell not?', I thought.

(mild non-story spoilers for this one shrine follow)

I went inside, and the game turned from Zelda to Thief. I forget the actual shrine name, but its theme was infiltration. I lost all my gear (reminiscent of that one crazy island in BotW, but on a smaller scale) and picked up the club, long stick, and wooden shield left for me at the entrance. I could see a battle construct up ahead, patrolling.

I snuck up behind it, noticing 3 others around a couple of corners as I did so. I took the first one out, but it sounded the alarm for the others before I finished the job. I quickly grabbed the bow and arrows it dropped, and Ascended up to a ledge for a better view. There were security alarm lasers all around, and several more constructs. My meager arrow supply and weak bow would not do it, and I could see that at least one of the constructs had a shock weapon--I'd have to figure something out.

I continued exploring around the upper ledges, dodging projectiles whenever a construct caught wind of me. Eventually I found a grate covering a hole into a small room below me. I could see that it had additional gear down there. I tried to glide down out of view, but a sentry construct saw me and engaged. I quickly grabbed the weapons--a Zonai sword, more capable bow, and additional arrows, and tried to Ascend back up. But the sentry got to me first and knocked off more than half of my at-that-point five hearts. Luckily, my second attempt to Ascend back to safety succeeded.

Back up top, with a better sword but no healing nor save capability, it became clear that I was going to have to MacGyver or Hawkeye my way out of this mess. First I tried dropping a large crate onto one of the constructs, but I couldn't get the timing nor line up the shot well enough. I finally resorted to the bow, fusing parts from the deceased constructs as I went. I traded shots with the sentries below for several minutes. With just a couple of arrows left in my quiver, I knocked the last one apart and the exit door opened.

I spent an hour+ on that shrine, and it was a fantastic experience. Probably should have absconded and returned later with more hearts, but I didn't want to admit defeat.

Then I returned to the main quest line for a bit. I made it to the
Spoiler:
Wind Temple
just before midnight, and called it for the night.
Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:09 amFirst is the combat. I simply can't do the combat in this game. I've tried and tried and my brain simply refuses to wrap itself around the mechanics. Even after probably 30 hours (between BotW and TotK), I still just cannot grok it. It's not even the disposable weapons (which annoy me), it's the general mechanics of it all. I always find myself fumbling with the inputs, with the lock-on, with the weapon switching...it all just feels incredibly clunky. I know I'm generally shit with action game mechanics in general, but this one feels particularly bad for some reason.
It's funny, because I can totally see how the controls in BotW/TotK could be intimidating, but it hasn't been that way for me. I'm not sure why, as I have the same issue you describe whenever I try to play any Smash game. I just can't do it. But Zelda clicked very quickly for me and it's just second-nature to me.
Second is the general structure of it all. The fun that everyone else seems to be having with these sort games (Zelda, Elden Ring, etc) is the thrill of exploration and discovery. Of finding something new and unexpected around a corner. Of wandering off into the unknown and seeing what adventures you find. Of having a general goal, but getting lost and distracted by all the creative things you can do on the way to completing that objective.

Everyone else loves that. I hate it.
This would seal the deal for me if I were in your shoes. If you're not one for just exploring, these games are highly unlikely to be for you.
In a game like Horizon or Witcher 3, there is a big open world but it has a significant amount of information that helps me to plan. I can see on the map where things are. There are typically markers that show me where points of interest will be so I can decide whether I want to veer off and chase something, rather than coming across it by chance. It's a very minor change, but one that makes all the difference for how I play games. A game that provides structure within an open world? Awesome. A game that turns you loose in a big world and lets you figure it all out on your own. Frustration.
This one you lose me on, though. Both BotW and TotK are chock-full of information to help plan. Map markers, quest logs that actually update as you progress to include next steps, and often NPC direction, as well. You can veer off (and I do, constantly), but you don't have to. I think it does a great job at giving me the information I need, most of the time.
The lack of a compelling story is another major point, but I won't belabor that one. Some people like in-depth, character driven stories, others don't care.
To be seen for me, as reviews have pretty universally indicated that NIntendo upped the story game from BotW (which I agree did not have the most compelling writing--though I thought it was fine). BotW's was decent but incredibly sparse given the play time. I'm hoping that TotK's increased density will alleviate that a bit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:39 am That makes perfect sense, but I would think Horizon with the 10 million icons would drive you nuts too. :lol:
It does in some games (looking at you, Assassin's Creed), but games like Horizon, Witcher 3, and Dragon Age Inquisition seemed to strike the perfect balance of interesting things to go explore in the world without feeling overwhelming.

Most Ubisoft games take that to the extreme and just become overwhelming.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yegads--1/3 of BotW's lifetime sales, in 3 days.

Some more context.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:06 am
This one you lose me on, though. Both BotW and TotK are chock-full of information to help plan. Map markers, quest logs that actually update as you progress to include next steps, and often NPC direction, as well. You can veer off (and I do, constantly), but you don't have to. I think it does a great job at giving me the information I need, most of the time.
Here's the difference. In the Zelda games, you have map markers for the quest location, shrines, stables, and the big light-tower things. That's pretty much it. All of the caves or wells or enemy outposts or other unique things I come across along the way from Point A to Point B aren't shown on the map. Instead, I stumble across them as part of my exploration and the only way they'll remain marked is if I specifically choose to do so. As I played last night, the general feeling I had is that I was simply doing a ton of aimless wandering, something I don't particularly enjoy.

In Horizon, all of those unique things are marked on the map. So if I'm traveling from Point A to Point B, I can very clearly see that there's a point of interest along the way that I can go explore. I know ahead of time what it is, whether it's something that I'll be interested in exploring, and that it won't take me too far out of my way so I can get right back on the path. It's a subtle difference, but one that makes all the difference for someone like me.

In fairness, I think this all may be exacerbated by the fact that I jumped directly from the Horizon expansion (which I loved) into TotK. So I went straight from the "tried and true" that I knew resonated with my playstyle into a game that I knew would be tougher for me to connect with.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Most of the other stuff gets marked once you explore it or you get the map survey.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:05 pm Most of the other stuff gets marked once you explore it or you get the map survey.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong then. I have the map survey (that’s the thing where it launches you out of the tower and it shows the map for the zone, right?). I’ve done two of those so far, but the only markers on my map are stables, shrines, and towers.

Did I miss something?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:08 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:05 pm Most of the other stuff gets marked once you explore it or you get the map survey.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong then. I have the map survey (that’s the thing where it launches you out of the tower and it shows the map for the zone, right?). I’ve done two of those so far, but the only markers on my map are stables, shrines, and towers.

Did I miss something?
I know the caves I explored last night are on my map. As are mountain peaks, etc. Maybe you're talking about things you can fast-travel to? I'm not talking interactive markers, just that your map includes these other things, too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Playing has commenced. Heck, I even started up a game but my position was almost immediately usurped so she could play some more.

All signs point to success.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:13 pm
Playing has commenced. Heck, I even started up a game but my position was almost immediately usurped so she could play some more.

All signs point to success.
Dad_level++
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:08 pm

Did I miss something?
I know the caves I explored last night are on my map. As are mountain peaks, etc. Maybe you're talking about things you can fast-travel to? I'm not talking interactive markers, just that your map includes these other things, too.
Ah thanks, I was doing something wrong. I didn't realize there was another map zoom-in level. None of those things showed up at the level I was looking at, you have to zoom in further to see them. That's super helpful, although it still doesn't solve the larger issue of not being able to actually see any of those things on the map unless I happen to randomly stumble into them during exploration. That's just a me problem though. :)

Three other quick questions:
1. There must be a way to quickly fuse materials onto your melee weapons that I missed. I know how to do it for bows (select the bow and hit up on the d-pad) but I don't see anything similar for melee. The way I've been doing it is to select the material, "hold" it, then drop it, then select the fuse ability, then select the weapon. There has to be a less cumbersome way, right?
2. If I hop off the horse and wander out of earshot, then calling it does no good and I have to go back to the stable to retrieve it, correct?
3. I'm about 10 hours in, well past the tutorial and into Hyrule. However, if I check the "Memories" section of my adventure log (that replays all the cutscenes and main story beats), it's missing the very first entry (I do have entries 2-4). Is that supposed to happen, or did I literally somehow miss something vitally important at the very start of the game?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:37 pmAh thanks, I was doing something wrong. I didn't realize there was another map zoom-in level. None of those things showed up at the level I was looking at, you have to zoom in further to see them. That's super helpful, although it still doesn't solve the larger issue of not being able to actually see any of those things on the map unless I happen to randomly stumble into them during exploration. That's just a me problem though. :)
Whew, I initially thought I was going nuts in not understanding what you were saying. I can see how this doesn't solve your problem. I think it does help, though, since the stuff you actually need to get to (eg the mainline quest objectives) will always be marked on your map when you have that quest selected. This need to randomly stumble into the other stuff is kind of a requirement, I think. If everything was mapped out from the start, the map would probably be incredibly overwhelming (not to mention it'd make finding the stuff you do need much harder among the chaff).
1. There must be a way to quickly fuse materials onto your melee weapons that I missed. I know how to do it for bows (select the bow and hit up on the d-pad) but I don't see anything similar for melee. The way I've been doing it is to select the material, "hold" it, then drop it, then select the fuse ability, then select the weapon. There has to be a less cumbersome way, right?
I think that's it. To fuse something to a weapon or shield, it has to be 'out' in the world, either by happening upon it or dropping it. I agree that it's a little cumbersome.
2. If I hop off the horse and wander out of earshot, then calling it does no good and I have to go back to the stable to retrieve it, correct?
Correct, but it will be on your map so you can run or fast-travel back to it if you get too far away.
3. I'm about 10 hours in, well past the tutorial and into Hyrule. However, if I check the "Memories" section of my adventure log (that replays all the cutscenes and main story beats), it's missing the very first entry (I do have entries 2-4). Is that supposed to happen, or did I literally somehow miss something vitally important at the very start of the game?
I'm not sure on this one as I haven't gotten any memories yet (I don't think). I would posit a guess that the first one isn't there because it's not a 'memory' in the context of how the game is using that term. These aren't Link's memories from the game itself, but memories of the bigger story being told. They're
Spoiler:
the Tears of the Kingdom.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Re-reading your post after I replied, I think I misunderstood you--I thought you meant the initial opening cutscene, which isn't a Memory. I think you instead meant 'I'm missing #1, whatever it may be,' and yes that's normal. You won't gather all the Memories in chronological order, if this plays out anything like BotW did.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I only just beat one for the bosses. I have to be like 15 hours in and don't feel like I've even made a dent. The size of this game is just bonkers when you figure in the sky and underground stuff.

No flipping way I beat it before Diablo comes out.

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Octavious wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:36 am Mario has there been a bad mainline game?
Zelda for the mainline there's probably only one bad game The Adventure of Link
Metroid all awesome imho
Mario Kart all awesome
Mario Sunshine was bad, I'd say.
Agree with you on Zelda
Metroid - Other M was garbage.
Mario Kart for GBA was bad, but that's the only one.

I found a shrine that took away my weapons and gave me a bunch of constructs to beat. They were on wooden platforms that floated in moats all around the center. They all had bows and arrows with shock and ice effects and I had no idea what to do until I discovered
Spoiler:
all I had to do was use Ultrahand on the wooden platforms and yank them out from underneath the constructs, who would fall into the water and die.
I laughed like an idiot, saying "YOINK" every single time.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Amazing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eel Snave wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:52 pm
I found a shrine that took away my weapons and gave me a bunch of constructs to beat. They were on wooden platforms that floated in moats all around the center. They all had bows and arrows with shock and ice effects and I had no idea what to do until I discovered
Spoiler:
all I had to do was use Ultrahand on the wooden platforms and yank them out from underneath the constructs, who would fall into the water and die.
I laughed like an idiot, saying "YOINK" every single time.
See, I would have spent an hour trying to figure out a solution, only to give up on the shrine in frustration. 😂
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another midnight session for me. I completed
Spoiler:
the Wind Temple
...which I loved. Contrary to some of the dungeons in BotW, I found this one to be decipherable, in that if I stopped, took stock of the map and my surroundings, everything made sense and my goals were clear. Quite enjoyed the boss, as well. The reward is exceedingly useful, too.

I'm up to seven hearts and one extra stamina block. Still need to find some pants...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:49 am Still need to find some pants...
Playing with the hepcat Method™, I see.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:13 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:49 am Still need to find some pants...
Playing with the hepcat Method™, I see.
Not assless chaps. Just shorts.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just putting this here in case someone knows something I don't.

I'm looking for a cheap copy of Breath of the Wild for the switch. I have it on the Wii U but that console is no longer hooked up or even out of storage. I want it for myself and for my daughter who would still be playing it if she could.

It's priced at (or near) the same price as Tears and I'm not paying that. If you know me you know I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to games (except collector's editions of highly anticipated nintendo games for a daughter who's trying hard and doing well at school).

Ideas?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:25 am Just putting this here in case someone knows something I don't.

I'm looking for a cheap copy of Breath of the Wild for the switch. I have it on the Wii U but that console is no longer hooked up or even out of storage. I want it for myself and for my daughter who would still be playing it if she could.

It's priced at (or near) the same price as Tears and I'm not paying that. If you know me you know I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to games (except collector's editions of highly anticipated nintendo games for a daughter who's trying hard and doing well at school).

Ideas?
Are there any other Switch games you want now or in the near future? The best bet for first-party games that rarely go on sale is Nintendo's game voucher deal. I know you're in Canada and I'm not sure the cost of this program up there (or if they even have it), but here you pay $99 and get vouchers good for two games. This is effectively a $10 discount on each ($20 on TotK since it's the singularly most-expensive Switch game).

I used this to get TotK and Advance Wars at a total $30 discount.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. I saw that when looking into Tears but I didn't follow up and I don't actually know if it's available up here. I'll check it out.

It's hilarious watching my daughter play Tears.

First, she's actually quite good at video games. She's a monster at splatoon and she was crushing combat in BotW.

But Tears is new and she's still learning (despite the combat being similar, I assume?) so every time something takes a swing at her she squeals and shrieks at them to get away, and that they are terrifying, and etc etc. Meanwhile she's hucking bombs and freezing them and jump attacking and hitting them in the face with an arrow. I find it all very, very funny.

She was riding along on her new horse when a tree came alive and its roots started wriggling and she squealed that it was terrifying and that it should get away from her. :lol:

I should say that's she's not truly terrified, I'm not laughing at her fear, but she is video game terrified, which is harmless and fun.

I watched her fight a Lord Bokogoblin (or whatever they are called) and watching the minions fan out to surround her and then fall back to create a shield wall around the Lord when he calls them back was very cool.

Combat looks very fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It is fun, and it sounds like she's better than I am.