Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Skinypupy »

A little surprised there wasn't a thread for this already. Releases later tonight.

I was one of the few people who didn't go all gaga over BotW. It was fine, but the degrading weapons and the frustrating puzzle shrines ended up frustrating the hell out of me. I was going to skip this new one, but after seeing all the 100% reviews pour in today, I may give it a shot. There's nothing else I'm really digging into until Diablo 4 comes out anyways.

Anyone else in?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Re: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Jaymann »

Wake me up when it comes to PS5 or PC. Does it have degrading weapons? That is a deal breaker for me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I've got it preloaded and I'm playing it at 11pm when it unlocks. I loved BotW (even with degrading weapons) and this one appears to be even better.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jaymann wrote:Wake me up when it comes to PS5 or PC. Does it have degrading weapons? That is a deal breaker for me.
You are never going to wake up. ;). And yes the weapons still break.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, Zelda is never coming to another platform. It’s be like asking for them to port a Mario game. Ain’t happening.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I read a review and apparently you can create weapons on the fly from diverse items, so degrading is a non-issue. My grandkids have a Switch, but I don't relish taking over the living room for my gaming. Maybe at some point I can hook it up to my TV.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You do know it works handheld right? ;) All my consoles are hooked up to my computer monitor. It's the only way to live.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dunno about Jaymann, but I can’t play handheld. Everything’s too small for my old eyes
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:05 am Dunno about Jaymann, but I can’t play handheld. Everything’s too small for my old eyes
Ditto
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had made the BotW thread into a BotW/TotK thread, but this is probably better.

Played about 2 hours last night. So far, so good. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say it seems they took BotW, made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity. I had to stop so I could be an adult this morning, but I didn't wanna.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am it seems they took BotW,made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity.
That's exactly what I was hoping for, tbh. I'm quite excited to jump in...after I get through six straight hours of Zoom meetings today. :grund:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am it seems they took BotW, made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity.
That's exactly what I was hoping for, tbh. I'm quite excited to jump in...after I get through six straight hours of Zoom meetings today. :grund:
That is some sub-optimal scheduling right there. Unfortunately one of my teammates beat me to PTOing today, so I'm in a similar boat.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:34 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am it seems they took BotW, made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity.
That is some sub-optimal scheduling right there. Unfortunately one of my teammates beat me to PTOing today, so I'm in a similar boat.
In my defense, I do have two days off scheduled for when Final Fantasy 16 comes out next month. Figured I better not push it too far. ;)
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am I had made the BotW thread into a BotW/TotK thread, but this is probably better.

it seems they took BotW,made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity.
Well then I'm doomed. I loved the open world of BotW - probably one of my favorite games (no, I do not game that much :D )

Enlarge Image

It is the kid's birthday present, but I might have to have some late nights! Yay hopefully coming today!
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daughter's collector's edition has shipped. Unfortunately it probably won't make it here today, and since it's shipped via Canada Post, the earliest it will be here is Monday. Possibly Tuesday.

She's a bit sad. I asked her if she had to choice to go to the store and buy a standard edition today, or wait a few days for the collector's edition, which would she choose. She chose collector's. That seemed to alleviate some of the disappointment.

Anyway, she's crazy, crazy excited. She loves art and is always drawing and painting. The art book is half the appeal for her.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, this ad... :wub:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote:Daughter's collector's edition has shipped. Unfortunately it probably won't make it here today, and since it's shipped via Canada Post, the earliest it will be here is Monday. Possibly Tuesday.

She's a bit sad. I asked her if she had to choice to go to the store and buy a standard edition today, or wait a few days for the collector's edition, which would she choose. She chose collector's. That seemed to alleviate some of the disappointment.

Anyway, she's crazy, crazy excited. She loves art and is always drawing and painting. The art book is half the appeal for her.
I saw an unboxing of the collector edition. She made the right choice. It's epic.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say it seems they took BotW,made the story more involved, made breaking weapons and cooking less frustrating, made the world much bigger and denser, and added seven metric fuck-tons of creativity. I had to stop so I could be an adult this morning, but I didn't wanna.
Sadly, they kept the washed out, hazy graphics. I know some people like them, but I disliked them so much that it was a constant distraction and really hurt my enjoyment.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I played about an hour last night. My wife and I were laughing about what would happen if you accidentally turned on Ultrahand while you were jerking off because we are apparently 12-year-olds.
Downwards Compatible
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:00 am Also, this ad... :wub:

That ad gets me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

How would this play for the 9 year old set? Is it too hard or would they find it easier with their damnable agility and reflexes?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am How would this play for the 9 year old set? Is it too hard or would they find it easier with their damnable agility and reflexes?
I’ll let you know tomorrow. The Wonder Twins 9.11 will be digging into it later today.

From everything I’ve seen, it’s very similar mechanically to BotW. My dudes did pretty well with that overall, but either couldn’t figure out or didn’t have the dexterity to do lots of the puzzle shrines.

Just like their dad 😂
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

The opening is a little creepy, depending on their tolerance for that sort of thing.
Downwards Compatible
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am How would this play for the 9 year old set? Is it too hard or would they find it easier with their damnable agility and reflexes?
My kids enjoy it, but occasionally hand the controllers to Dad when bad guys get too tough/many.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Kurth wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:00 am Also, this ad... :wub:

That ad gets me.
Yes, fantastic ad. Not sure when I will have time for this. Definitely getting it sooner or later.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:13 am I saw an unboxing of the collector edition. She made the right choice. It's epic.
Exciting!

I spent more on that box than I have on 6 months worth of gaming for myself. Possibly 12 months.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you download the game or must it be physical media?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Googling indicates you can buy it digitally.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:29 pm Can you download the game or must it be physical media?
You can absolutely download.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Collector's Edition and Tears of the Kingdom OLED switch purchased... My son's birthday (the one that spent like a thousand hours beating BotW like 5 times) is in two weeks. It's basically torture to keep this from him until then, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

coopasonic wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:05 pm Collector's Edition and Tears of the Kingdom OLED switch purchased... My son's birthday (the one that spent like a thousand hours beating BotW like 5 times) is in two weeks. It's basically torture to keep this from him until then, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.
Your avatar checks out.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Two nights in. Both past midnight. The best way I can put it is that it feels like BotW was a really solid tech demo, and now with TotK they've actually finished the game they wanted to make. And I don't mean that as an insult to BotW--I loved that game.

Spoilering the rest even though I'm not going to spoil any story stuff--just because Nintendo did such a good job keeping virtually everything under wraps and I don't want to ruin anything for folks who don't want to hear any specifics...
Spoiler:
I spent a solid four hours on the starter sky Island, and I bet I didn't touch half of it. I've completed five shrines, gained a few powers, and just made it down to the mainland in the last 20 min.

There's the new sky islands everyone knew were coming, but there's also a new subterranean area that's as big as the entire main game area. .

The ascend power is such a neat trick--feels like a cheat code, but not. It'll make sense once you use it.

Fusing makes blowing through scores of disintegrating weapons fun. There are so many options that I just want to keep trying more. And the ability to build all sorts of things is kind of mind-blowing in the way that it makes virtually all puzzles have multiple solutions.

BotW's strengths are all here, and its weaknesses are all improved upon, IMO. But TotK is shaping up to be so much more than that. They've really managed to make it feel like a whole new adventure despite literally including the same world map from the prior game.
I'm still very early on, and maybe I'll come down from the clouds (see what I did there?). But so far, I'm fully hooked. The reviews I've read from folks who have 70, 80, 120 hours in make me hopeful that I'll stay hooked.

And while there are the occasional frame rate drops, the game runs remarkably well overall. I have no idea how they managed to make the entire main game seamlessly load as you play, with the ability to see so far away without obvious draw distance issues. I want a Switch Pro as much as anyone, but Nintendo are showing that they can still surprise me with this ancient hardware.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

The kid's copy did arrive yesterday (YAY!) and he stayed up until just before 11 playing it. I sat with him until about 9:30, watched the intro and some of the gameplay. I agree with Zaxxon on all counts. It is much more creative and puzzle-y even outside of shrines. I think a great improvement. The graphics are the same, and I am sorry Balackhawk does not like them, because I feel he would probably enjoy the game a lot. I personally like them and feel it is the stylized art, just like other cel-shaded games and game style art like Risk of Rain 2.

IMLawBoy, I don't think it would be too hard or scary - if they went through all the Gannon things in BotW, then this isn't any scarier. if they have the kid-reflexes, then they will be fine.

I, though, am going to die. a lot. I always sucked at dodging and parrying, and the intro sky island part has you fortunately 'practicing' it with easier foes. So that was good because the kid was still re-remembering the controls (he has been playing a lot of Elden Ring on PC lately). but he has always been better at that than me.
Spoiler:
Plus I'm going to be spending a lot of time fusing stuff. and It is neat that the "magnesis" works on anything, not just metal
I am looking forward to putting some time in and can report back when I do - from the old man, slow reflexes, I really suck at gaming camp.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be clear, it absolutely is stylized art, and that's fine. It's just that it is a style that I personally hated. It kept making me want to fix my TV, or feeling like I needed to clean my glasses. And I like cell shading in games - it is just the badly washed out colors that I found such a distraction. Here's an example of what I mean - the modded version is what my brain is always telling me I should be seeing:
Spoiler:
But I fully acknowledge that some people don't notice, and that for some people the unique color palette is a big plus.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played about 4 hours yesterday, making it off the tutorial island and into the game proper. It’s MoTS, but I’m finding that it annoys me a bit less than BotW did. Not sure why, but I’m really enjoying it so far.

The whole building mechanic - while taking some getting used to - leads to some creative and often hilarious results. For example, I had to build a small motorized raft to get across a lake. I built it just fine, but without any way to steer, I quickly veered off into a wall. I was far enough into the water that I couldn’t swim to either shore. I ended up having to yank off the motor, mount it to the side of the raft (instead of the back), chug along awkwardly until I veered into the wall again, remount the motor on the back of the raft, and repeat that process a couple times. It was incredibly awkward, but it worked. And my first attempt at building a “hook platform”? Disaster. 😂

(Side note: I’m gonna take the stand that we don’t really need to spoiler every mention of the game’s mechanics in this thread. That would make it an incredibly annoying thread to read. If others feel different, let me know and I’ll adjust.)

I think the art style is fine. I’d even say I quite like it. I am a little concerned about how I’ll be able to do with combat as the enemies get more difficult though. I’m really terrible at it, although fusing a sword to…another sword (literally called “Rusty Broadsword Broadsword”) gave me a formidable weapon.

So far, so good.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sat May 13, 2023 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

JCC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:17 am Yes, fantastic ad. Not sure when I will have time for this. Definitely getting it sooner or later.
The only thing missing is him calling in sick for a 4 day weekend.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed on the spoiler not-needed for mechanics at this point. I was just being overly cautious until someone else said so. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Koroks: still cute.
JCC

Post by JCC »

On the previously mentioned topic of buying the game digitally, apparently now digital copies of the game are "sold out". How in the hell can this be a thing?
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:28 pm On the previously mentioned topic of buying the game digitally, apparently now digital copies of the game are "sold out". How in the hell can this be a thing?
Indeed it is not. Where are you looking? Buy it on the eShop.