Kindle Fire Options

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Kindle Fire Options

Post by Jeff V »

In advance of our overseas vacation, I'd like to get the kids new Kindle Fires -- theirs are at least 4 years old and my daughter's doesn't really work anymore. I'm looking at the $70 8" offerings -- one is a 2020 model, but has 64 MB of storage. For the same price, they have a 2022 model, ostensibly 30% faster processor, but only 32 GB storage. WTH, Amazon, storage isn't that expensive. Which would be the better value? They play Roblox and Minecraft (anything else they might do with it is less intensive).
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Re: Kindle Fire Options

Post by Kasey Chang »

Most of them will take a microSD card so internal storage isn't really an issue, esp. when most stuff live on the web nowadays, unless you install a ton of apps and/or download a bunch of stuff and/or make/download videos.

I've gotten by with 16GB storage for the longest time when I first got my Fire 8. Before that I eventually grew out of my Fire 7 due to lack of juice to last the day playing audio books. :) Right now I have an 8 plus which is the 32 GB version from 2020.

But wait for a sale. You know that. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have the 10" 2021 Fire HD. I went with the 32GB model and added a 128 giggity-bite micro SD card for 12 bucks.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kindle Fire tends to be slow for its specs anyway, I'd go with a faster processor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree with that - I use mine almost exclusively for reading, note-taking, simple utilities, and the occasional video, so speed isn't a huge thing (and FWIW, the first thing I did was get Google Play installed on it and forget that the Amazon crAppstore was even a thing.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Thanks, went with the faster, new model upgraded to 64GB of storage. They can transfer the SD cards from their current "K's." Devices arrived today, but I leveraged the box opening to get them to go to bed so we can do it in the morning...
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What to you all do with your Kindle that you need the extra memory?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:06 pm What to you all do with your Kindle that you need the extra memory?
On my Kindle Fire? Pile on hundreds of .pdfs and .cbr files, giving me both an entertainment device and a portable reference library wherever I take it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:06 pm What to you all do with your Kindle that you need the extra memory?
I told my daughter she can download free games. She did. All of them, I think.
Black Lives Matter