PSU cautionary tale

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

PSU cautionary tale

Post by hitbyambulance »

i thought my 650W PSU would have been enough for my new Radeon 6800 XT - but i encountered numerous instability problems when i attempted it. i got an 850W PSU and it's stable now, but damage has already been done - my older platter gaming drive and one external HDD backup drive appeared to be fried by the power surges.
Pyperkub

Re: PSU cautionary tale

Post by Pyperkub »

650 was low 9 years ago when I built my most recent pc.... which is still going pretty well, tho my mobo doesn't have the right connections to leverage the power of a 30xx, to say nothing of a 40xx, so I just upgraded my old 770 to a 2060 with a lot of RAM. Haven't really tried it out gaming tho, as I've leaned heavily into couch gaming the past couple of years.

Which is probably a good thing, given how much the PC folks are annoyed with 60fps everywhere on most newer games launched on PC/Console (see redfall...)
Last edited by Pyperkub on Fri May 05, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I've been told that you should always have more than you need due to fluctuations. It's never a good idea to be right at the back end of your limit for various reasons.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My new alienware R15 has a 1350 psu. It's actually a server psu. i think i'm good for a few upgrades (although there's not much you can upgrade on an alienware, to be honest).

Unfortunately, a few folks like myself are experiencing issues with them making a vibrating/clicking sound intermittently, which we're assuming is a coil whine problem. I've got a repair ticket open and they're supposed to come out and replace it next week. It's not "fry your computer" bad, but it is "wanna hurl this thing out a window because it won't shut up" bad.
Covfefe!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My PSU fan is making a noise, so I imagine I had to replace it soon. Guess I'll have to do it when I get monetized on Youtube, or get a real job. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds