Suddenly Sudan

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Suddenly Sudan

Post by Kraken »

US positioning troops to evacuate embassy
Some in the administration are hoping to avoid scenes reminiscent of the evacuation from Kabul, Afghanistan, in 2021. The crush of thousands pleading to leave the city as the Taliban took control became a defining image of America’s withdrawal.
That equivalence is a stretch, and I'm unaware of any long-term US interests there...but things could get ugly quickly.
Isgrimnur

Re: Suddenly Sudan

Post by Isgrimnur »

“Oaken Sonnet”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'd've expected them to be more worried about another Benghazi than another Kabul.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:53 pm “Oaken Sonnet”
Dude. Don't make me google shit. We have someone here who gets paid (I assume) to do that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:14 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:53 pm “Oaken Sonnet”
Dude. Don't make me google shit. We have someone here who gets paid (I assume) to do that.
The Botched Niger Mission Was a Leadership Failure. I’ve Seen It Happen Before.
A few months ago, I sat at a friend’s kitchen counter drinking whiskey and sharing deployment stories. He asked me if there was one I’d never told anyone. I realized it had been a year since the Niger mission that left four American service members dead and sparked questions about the United States’ role in the region. So I told him about Oaken Sonnet, a similarly botched mission that took place in 2013, and about why it still haunts me.

The week before Christmas in 2013, I was one of two intelligence officers who took the initial report of an attack on American forces in South Sudan that the American public has not heard enough about. If it had — and if the American military had studied the mistakes made in the mission’s planning and learned from them — the loss of those four soldiers in Niger in 2017 might have been avoided.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Reuters reports that US embassy staff are extracted.
KHARTOUM, April 22 (Reuters) - The U.S. military evacuated American diplomats and their families from Sudan, the country's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) said early on Sunday as fighting between rival commanders that has killed hundreds of civilians continued.

The operation, involving six aircraft, was carried out in coordination with the RSF, it said.

Separately, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters the U.S. military had successfully evacuated U.S. embassy personnel. The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The linked article has a good snapshot of the situation on the ground.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:49 pm

That equivalence is a stretch, and I'm unaware of any long-term US interests there...
Their chief experts are gold and oil and they are a very close trading partner with China. It's also where South Sudan refines most of it's oil and brings it to market.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT