Adjusting to 87-Key TKL Keyboard HOW??

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Adjusting to 87-Key TKL Keyboard HOW??

Post by Sudy »

Edit: OH! I didn't even realize, this isn't a standard TKL. It has a keypad. It's not a TKL at all. But the arrow/page keys are integrated into the number pad with a toggle. It's the best of both worlds, except I find it impossible to use.

This the second time I'm trying going from a traditional-size 104 to an 87. I love the action; it's a few-frills wired Corsair mechanical. But unbeknownst to me, I became a numerical keypad touch-typist over the years. I guess after all those years of keying in addresses and passcodes at the call center job.

So now I have to hit numlock to go from using the keypad for numbers to the arrow keys, etc. And I use the arrow keys and delete button a LOT when I'm writing/editing. And, I just haven't been able to integrate tapping numlock into my mental order of operations. It's a crude, nasty additional step. So instead I get even more frustrated when I forget. Using the numbers row is so less efficient.

Is this a possible transition after thirty years of using a full-size?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Adjusting to 87-Key TKL Keyboard HOW??

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Using something like the SpaceFN layout or GuiFN layout may help.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I think that might be my number one reason why I haven't tried a smaller keyboard like that. It would mess with my brain too much. When I type, I don't look at the keyboard at all, but rather at the screen and everything is instinctive. I know where the keys are simply by feel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Honestly, I use a 96-key nowadays, only because I need the numpad to play Cold Waters. :D (Need it to control the torpedo through the wire). Sounds like you got your hands on one of those Coolermaster weird keyboards, eh?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I mentioned elsewhere that the only time I really use the numpad is when I'm doing the bills. Any other time I'm not entering enough numbers to justify taking my hands off of the regular keys. When I first switched to a TKL, I bought a standalone numpad. After the first month, though, I never even bothered to plug it in. I just got used to it after a while.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Honestly though, Sudy, did you get your hands on a Cooler Master QuickFire "TK" or the Masterkey M?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:01 am Honestly though, Sudy, did you get your hands on a Cooler Master QuickFire "TK" or the Masterkey M?
Sorry, didn't see this. It's the QuickFire TK.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those are long out of stock. You got a collector's item. :D

The only two models with that layout I'm aware of are the Quickfire TK and the Masterkey M, both from Coolermaster. And both went out of stock many years back. I'm not aware of newer models with that layout from anyone.