O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am We live in a smallish 400 sq. ft apartment. Got a great window AC unit in a far corner that takes care of the open living room/dining area and small kitchen. (Moving it to a more central position isn't really possible.) But the bedroom's always been a sweatbox. In past years the cool AC air seemed to eventually work it's way across the room and around the corner to the bedroom and at least make it livable, but during the early warm-up we're having this year, it's already too hot to sleep comfortably in. Its about 25c/77f outside, and in the bedroom it's 29/84. (I've already installed the living room AC.)

I think I've done everything practical to reduce heat in the room. The problem is there's just no air circulation. There's just a tiny window that doesn't usually receive a breeze. I've moved a second fan in, but creating a cross-breeze isn't really possible due to layout. I question at what temp/humidity I want to close the window. But it's almost moot because it's behind a curtain that really needs to be there, as otherwise it can be too bright to sleep. Adding a room AC unit isn't practical due to the window size, room layout, and cost.

Are small evaporative/swamp coolers worthwhile? At a glance there are no-name units on Amazon that claim to be good for rooms starting around 80 CAD/60 USD. But with an average summer humidity of 80%+ (it's only 40% currently!), would they do much on the more humid days? A superficial googling suggests they're not practical in that situation unless you can cycle the air, and I really can't.
FWIW, a vortex air circulation fan can significantly improve your situation vs. a regular fan:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So parts of Florida got almost 25” of rain. Central California got 17” for the season so far and we have flooding and the rebirth of lakes. I can’t imagine 25” in a day.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:59 am So parts of Florida got almost 25” of rain. Central California got 17” for the season so far and we have flooding and the rebirth of lakes. I can’t imagine 25” in a day.
Don't forget Hurricane Harvey:
Wikipedia wrote:In a four-day period, many areas received more than 40 inches (1,000 mm) of rain as the system slowly meandered over eastern Texas and adjacent waters, causing unprecedented flooding. With peak accumulations of 60.58 in (1,539 mm), in Nederland, Texas, Harvey was the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the United States. The resulting floods inundated hundreds of thousands of homes, which displaced more than 30,000 people and prompted more than 17,000 rescues.
We never will. Keep in mind the ground was already somewhat wet and the four days of constant rain fell over the entire Houston gulf coast watershed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:59 am So parts of Florida got almost 25” of rain. Central California got 17” for the season so far and we have flooding and the rebirth of lakes. I can’t imagine 25” in a day.
The advantage we have in Florida, especially that part of Florida, is that the land is pretty flat. So no flash floods or houses washing off hillsides or mudslides, etc. And since we get so much rain in the rainy season most locations have excellent storm drainage. Being mostly flat there are few instances of lakes being born or reborn since the water tends to run off into drains or channels or canals and eventually work its way to the ocean or gulf. There was a picture from a satellite a little while after Hurricane Ian hit showing the vast amount of fresh water flowing into the Gulf of Mexico.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We hit a record 85F high on Tuesday and 84F high on Wednesday.

Today it's snowing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:28 am That sucks Sudy. We've had a similar situation and it is no fun. The only thing I can think of is the most powerful fan that will fit in the bedroom window blowing out to try to force some air movement from the cooler rooms into the bedroom.
i actually got a Lasko Air Flex a couple summers back - it's a box fan intended to be used with a PM 2.5 filter, so the motor on this thing is pretty beefy and is a fan-tastic air mover

https://lasko.com/products/lasko-air-fl ... f305-white
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am We live in a smallish 400 sq. ft apartment. Got a great window AC unit in a far corner that takes care of the open living room/dining area and small kitchen. (Moving it to a more central position isn't really possible.) But the bedroom's always been a sweatbox. In past years the cool AC air seemed to eventually work it's way across the room and around the corner to the bedroom and at least make it livable, but during the early warm-up we're having this year, it's already too hot to sleep comfortably in. Its about 25c/77f outside, and in the bedroom it's 29/84. (I've already installed the living room AC.)

I think I've done everything practical to reduce heat in the room. The problem is there's just no air circulation. There's just a tiny window that doesn't usually receive a breeze. I've moved a second fan in, but creating a cross-breeze isn't really possible due to layout. I question at what temp/humidity I want to close the window. But it's almost moot because it's behind a curtain that really needs to be there, as otherwise it can be too bright to sleep. Adding a room AC unit isn't practical due to the window size, room layout, and cost.

Are small evaporative/swamp coolers worthwhile? At a glance there are no-name units on Amazon that claim to be good for rooms starting around 80 CAD/60 USD. But with an average summer humidity of 80%+ (it's only 40% currently!), would they do much on the more humid days? A superficial googling suggests they're not practical in that situation unless you can cycle the air, and I really can't.
Have you looked at any portable in-room A/C units for your bedroom? They don't need a large window, just enough to set up the exhaust hose.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:40 pm
The advantage we have in Florida, especially that part of Florida, is that the land is pretty flat. So no flash floods or houses washing off hillsides or mudslides, etc. And since we get so much rain in the rainy season most locations have excellent storm drainage. Being mostly flat there are few instances of lakes being born or reborn since the water tends to run off into drains or channels or canals and eventually work its way to the ocean or gulf. There was a picture from a satellite a little while after Hurricane Ian hit showing the vast amount of fresh water flowing into the Gulf of Mexico.
So I hope the Everglades benefited from the rain.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am We live in a smallish 400 sq. ft apartment.There's just a tiny window that doesn't usually receive a breeze.
Are you living in our mudroom? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Among the boots and grime.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Turns out I was wrong about how quickly South Florida, especially Fort Lauderdale, would recover from all that rain. This morning there was a news update about that area and there are still neighborhoods flooded, mostly road flooding. Schools have stayed closed after the rain on Wednesday, are expected to re-open tomorrow (Monday). Starting tomorrow they are expecting several days of nice weather, so that will help.

Meanwhile, the south end of our county was under a tornado warning, now under severe thunderstorm, local flood advisory and possibility of one inch hail. Thankfully it is all moving through pretty quickly.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ah, the irony. Yesterday we were getting all sorts of alerts about severe weather which never did reached us, all we got was some light rain. This morning was supposed to be just a chance of light rain and instead we just went through a significant thunderstorm, or rather it went through us.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Normally April is one of our driest months, with just the occasional front passing through. But since last Saturday we've had storms every afternoon, with more forecast through the upcoming weekend.

Enlarge Image

And it is even getting more exciting, with significant possibility of up to baseball sized hail this afternoon and evening:

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm so tired of this crappy weather. Most of our Spring so far has felt like late-Fall, early Winter. It's been cold and humid most of the time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm trying to save money by not turning the heater back on. And I'm freaking tired of it being 60 degrees in the house all the time!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Right now about a thirty minute drive south of us they are getting three inch hail :shock:. Glad it seems to be missing us.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Meanwhile, summer is definitely starting here. It's a high of 88 today with 93 due this weekend.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:28 pm Meanwhile, summer is definitely starting here. It's a high of 88 today with 93 due this weekend.
California knows how to summer.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I understand that California has learned how to tax everybody for summer. Winter was free.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finally turning nice in the Portland, OR metro area. Two days in a row of blue skies, sun, 70s. I’ll take more of this, thank you very much!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have to wait on next week for nicer weather.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fifth straight day of severe weather in Central Florida, there's a tornado warning about fifteen miles south of us right now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:34 pm Fifth straight day of severe weather in Central Florida, there's a tornado warning about fifteen miles south of us right now.
And now another tornado warning just to the east of us, heading to the Kennedy Space Center, right near the VAB :shock:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wish I still had all those pool noodles I bought for twenty-five cents each, I'd make a hail blanket. :lol:

Maybe a pool float would work pretty well under a car cover. :think:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And after a quiet Friday, the nasty weather returns for a final double header. The weather folks tell us that from 3pm to 9pm today, expect severe thunderstorms, possible hail and maybe a brief tornado. Then it will be quiet from 9pm to 3am, then from 3am to 9am tomorrow, the same as today.

Right now it's blowing hard with thunder and heavy rain.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We continue having a pretty normal spring. Drier than usual, but rain is expected from tonight through Thursday, so that should erase the deficit and could produce some minor flooding. Spring is supposed to be wet. Our only aberration was a brief heat wave in mid-April.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Normal spring weather here.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With the significant and unusual rains in the past couple of weeks, our drought situation is looking much better here on the Central Florida east coast. The west coast is still looking at some extreme drought, but we're getting closer to the rainy season.

Enlarge Image

Speaking of the rainy season, it usually kicks off around Memorial Day weekend, but this year it looks to be about ten days early.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We aren't in drought yet, but the lawn is going dormant already. That's nice because my lawnmower died last week, but not a good omen for this year's garden. If we don't get measurable rain before Memday I'm not even going to plant this year.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I have a friend who bought one of these and used it for sleeping in a van. He thinks it worked pretty well. He also used it instead of AC in a sport utility vehicle during a Texas summer. It would even suit better if you have a decent size freezer in your apartment so you can make your own ice blocks. It's not a swamp cooler because it actually has a heat exchanger. https://www.icybreeze.com/ It's not super cheap though.

Enlarge Image

As a plus, nice to have if your vehicle ac breaks down or a storm kills your power for a few days or if you play sports outside in the south and can keep it on the bench for breaks, or for hot flashes. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And summer comes early this year. It's usually around Memorial Day weekend when we see this kind of a forecast:

disarm

Post by disarm »

We have a freeze warning in effect for CT tonight, two months after we hit a record high for April of 96 on 4/14. My son had a baseball game that ran until 8:00 tonight and we were freezing our asses off...in the middle of May.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I picked up a rider last night -- it was 82 degrees. By the time I got her home (less than 30 minutes) it was 64 degrees.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We have a disturbance!
For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Southwestern Atlantic:
1. A non-tropical area of low pressure is expected to form along a front offshore of the southeastern United States coast during the next day or two. The system appears unlikely to become a subtropical or tropical cyclone since it is forecast to remain frontal while moving generally northward and inland over the Carolinas this weekend.

1. Regardless, the system is likely to produce gusty winds and dangerous surf and rip current conditions along portions of the southeastern United States coast late this week and into the weekend. Heavy rainfall is expected in portions of the Carolinas, and hazardous marine conditions are expected over the coastal and offshore waters where gale watches and warnings are in effect. For more information, see products from your local National Weather Service office and high seas forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...10 percent.
Unless someone has an objection, I'm going to use this thread for all discussions of tropical and hurricane weather, rather than starting a special hurricane season thread. That way it will be your one-stop place for all US (and Canadian?) weather news and issues.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Can you schedule an early December hurricane in the Caribbean? The boat is going from Miami to Ocho Rios to Grand Cayman to Cozumel and back to Hawaii -- a hurricane would likely be the most exciting part of the voyage (bonus if you can time it the same time as the wedding we're attending).
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:31 pm Can you schedule an early December hurricane in the Caribbean? The boat is going from Miami to Ocho Rios to Grand Cayman to Cozumel and back to Hawaii -- a hurricane would likely be the most exciting part of the voyage (bonus if you can time it the same time as the wedding we're attending).
Good gosh, most folks would kill to have a trip like that. Are you like me and don't like cruising, or it is the wedding stuff? And seriously, the cruise ends in Hawaii? Wow.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:13 am And seriously, the cruise ends in Hawaii? Wow.
There is just no way this ship goes back to Hawaii.

That can't be right.

I'm guessing he meant to say 'back to Miami' ??
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How does a ship visit the Grand Canyon?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:43 am How does a ship visit the Grand Canyon?
Presumably you are making a joke. But just in case, it's "Cayman" not "Canyon".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oooooooh. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949