Trading games on BGG

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Fardaza

Trading games on BGG

Post by Fardaza »

I've been trying for several weeks to trade some of my games on BGG. I've not had any success. I have matched up people's "want in trade" lists with my "for trade" list. Somewhere in the area of 20 trade offers. Nada.

Out of those 20ish offers, I've only received 3 replies! One guy had the decency to tell me he uses his for trade list for some other purpose, so his listings aren't actually available. Ok. Thanks for responding. I had 2 trades declined. Ok. Fine. But what about the other 17 offers? Some of those were even a 2nd offer to the same 3 or 4 people, and they don't even bother to respond. :evil: The trade offer just expires.

I've checked and every one of these "no response" answers has logged into BGG at least once since the trade was offered. What gives? I'm offering even game value in the trades. $70 game for a $70 game for example. One of the declined offers was from CLS Games in Atlanta. Ok, I understand they don't want an even offer. They need to make a profit. But, are all the other people marking their games as "Want in Trade" trying to turn a profit? If so, then just tell me that! Don't just ignore an offer. If they are not in business, I don't understand why someone won't accept an even offer. That way all both of us would have to pay is shipping to clear a game off our shelf we don't want anymore and end up with a game we do want!

This has made me very upset that people could be so inconsiderate. Why can't they answer???

I don't know what else to do except try to sell the games and take a big hit, or simply just give them away. I need to vent because this has been going on for weeks!
Smoove_B

Re: Trading games on BGG

Post by Smoove_B »

The BGG marketplace imploded recently (last 6 months?) and I'm not sure how well the new format will work. If you're not aware, they were getting ready to basically shut the entire thing down but eventually decided to let it exist more or less as a stand alone entity (major caveat emptor) that BGG proper wouldn't be taking any administrative funds from.

I noticed over the last year (building up to the announcement it was being removed) there were so many new accounts that registered to sell inflated KS games or rare OOP games. These were accounts with no posting history or sales transaction history and they were everywhere.

So I'm not really sure how those types of "sellers" influenced what you're experiencing now. I always had great experiences with it, but I haven't tried to use it since it was relaunched in this new format.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I understand that Boardgameco used to act as a market intermediary on BGG until he realized there was no margin and moved onto his video content.

Even if you’re offering fair value, the other party may need to sell for cash or already has the game.

IMO the best place to sell used games has been at GenCon or a local FLGS auction.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And some people simply have zero interest in an even trade. They only trade if they come out ahead.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Math Trades may be an option. I have never participated as I generally don't want more games, but I know they are popular. It's a cool concept anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just participated in a math trade over the weekend, the NYC No Shipping Math Trade. It was my second-ever math trade, and my first using the Online Want List Generator (OLWLG), an inscrutable website that does the math of matching wants and offers.

The OLWLG was kind of a nightmare to learn, but the person running the math trade was super friendly and helpful, answering questions and making an instructional video.

All in all, it was a success for my shelf space, if nothing else. I traded away four games in big boxes, and received four games in smaller boxes.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

I'm not a terribly active trader, but I've completed a little over 40 trades over the years at BGG--and what you report is nothing new. Few people at the site respond to trade offers, and many of them take offense if you send a trade request before contacting them personally. It's a goofy internet etiquette thing. :roll: From what I can tell, the majority of games listed as "for trade" really should be listed as "for trade if an offer bowls me over".

Math trades are the best way to make trades, but they can be a bit intimidating at first. My first time, I made 6 trades and was a bit overwhelmed at boxing everything up (and paying for shipping 6 packages). Since then, I've become more comfortable with math trades . . . but it takes longer and you have to be willing to go through all the hoops and be VERY careful about what games you are willing to accept in a math trade. It seems like the game you want the least is always the one selected.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Fishbelly wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:55 pm I'm not a terribly active trader, but I've completed a little over 40 trades over the years at BGG--and what you report is nothing new. Few people at the site respond to trade offers, and many of them take offense if you send a trade request before contacting them personally. It's a goofy internet etiquette thing. :roll: From what I can tell, the majority of games listed as "for trade" really should be listed as "for trade if an offer bowls me over".
So, I'm supposed to send them a personal message first? Then what? Wait for them to say hello?
Or do I send a pm and the trade offer at the same time?

(Not doubting you. Just stating.) Why would people be offended when someone offers to trade for one of their games they have listed as "for trade"?
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:16 am
Fishbelly wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:55 pm I'm not a terribly active trader, but I've completed a little over 40 trades over the years at BGG--and what you report is nothing new. Few people at the site respond to trade offers, and many of them take offense if you send a trade request before contacting them personally. It's a goofy internet etiquette thing. :roll: From what I can tell, the majority of games listed as "for trade" really should be listed as "for trade if an offer bowls me over".
So, I'm supposed to send them a personal message first? Then what? Wait for them to say hello?
Or do I send a pm and the trade offer at the same time?

(Not doubting you. Just stating.) Why would people be offended when someone offers to trade for one of their games they have listed as "for trade"?
Yes, send a personal message first. Most people at BGG prefer to work the particulars out via direct message, THEN send an official trade proposal. Makes little sense, but I still recall the scoldings I was given when I sent trade offers through the system without a DM first.

Even so, I only hear from 10% (or less) of the people I message. It's a less than optimal system, for sure.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Thanks. I'll try that next time.

10%...doesn't speak well for BGG users.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Have you met gamers?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

There are some strange ones. That's for sure. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey, I tried to act like a human and I thought I did a passable job!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Present company excepted!

You seemed normal enough to me. But, there were some other really questionable types in Dallas. :roll: :shifty: