Useful Windows Utilities

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Useful Windows Utilities

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm sure everybody has a whole list of stuff that they use and wondered how come other people don't know about it. I'll start...

* Flameshot -- probably the easiest screencap software available in Windows, complete with text overlay, arrows, and more. And it works in anything, not just in the browser. And you invoke it by hitting PrtScn key (yes, it's still on your keyboard)

* MS Powertoys (everyone's heard of this, right?)

* NetLimiter -- prevents one app (or one PC) from using up too much bandwidth on the network, useful when your pipe's restricted and/or behaves weird when pushed to its limits, single home user version is free

* Mouse Without Borders -- when I had a laptop and a desktop side by side, I wondered if there's a way to make them act seamlessly together, and just use one set of keyboard/mouse. That's this utility, and it's a free project from Microsoft Garage (one of their "fun" projects, which also includes TinyBASIC)

* IrfanView -- still the defacto universal image viewer for me, even has a Thumbnail maker.

* WizTree -- need to see what's taking up all your HD space? I used to prefer WinDirStat, but WizTree is MUCH faster.

* Process Lasso -- a better task manager than task manager, it also "restricts" run-away processes from taking up too much CPU time, among other things. Personal version is a bit of nagware, but only once when booting up.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: Useful Windows Utilities

Post by Daehawk »

I used to be all into these type things. Spent much time researching them and using them. But not really touched much new stuff in the last 5 - 8 years or so.

Yes I know PowerToys. Used to love it in the XP days.

I guess I use stuff like....

Wintools to replace CCleaner

Defraggler for mechanical drive defrag.

Wallpaper Engine for full animated desktop wallpaper

AOMEI Backupper for backups

Burnaware for cd and dvd recording

DiskCheckup

Flawless Widescreen

Foxit Reader

GPU-Z

Realtemp

VLC Media player
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

PyCharm IDE for Python
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:55 pm PyCharm IDE for Python
Not Visual Studio Code? (the light and free version, not the full Visual Studio)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:44 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:55 pm PyCharm IDE for Python
Not Visual Studio Code? (the light and free version, not the full Visual Studio)
i much more enjoy using PyCharm - VSC has toooo much going on and is overkill for my (current) needs.
AllanIsKing

Post by AllanIsKing »

Directory Report - Shows disk usage, finds duplicate files and directory printer
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

IDK if it counts as a Windows utility, but Cute PDF Writer enables you to create PDFs by sending your XLS and DOCX files to a virtual "printer." I use it routinely.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:15 pm IDK if it counts as a Windows utility, but Cute PDF Writer enables you to create PDFs by sending your XLS and DOCX files to a virtual "printer." I use it routinely.
I used that for work for a long time but now Windows has a print-to-PDF option built in.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:59 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:15 pm IDK if it counts as a Windows utility, but Cute PDF Writer enables you to create PDFs by sending your XLS and DOCX files to a virtual "printer." I use it routinely.
I used that for work for a long time but now Windows has a print-to-PDF option built in.
Well fine, but is it cute?