Buying and selling online

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Buying and selling online

Post by Daehawk »

Thought I had a thread on this but couldn't find it again if so.

Thought id make this thread to ask now and later questions on online sites like ebay, mercari, and marketplace and such.

1. In the old day you got the money as a seller then shipped out the items. Disputes were handled by the site. Now day the money is held by the site until the item is shipped and proven to have arrived. Other than a tracking number which USPS doesn't have for simple stamped mail items from my own mailbox....what happens to those type ships if the buyer says they never got it? I worry that someone will actually get the items I ship but say they didn't and then the site will refuse to pay me and give the money back to the buyer.

I supposed I could negate that worry by going in and shipping it at the post office and getting a tracking number. I think like that the item shows as delivered. Does it work the same for mailbox normal items? Do they scan it into the database in their car at pickup then again on delivery at destination?

Also this sucks as someone has FINALLY offered me a fair price for one of my items and I have $0 until Monday. Thats 4 days off and I am supposed to ship within 3.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Re: Buying and selling online

Post by Kraken »

Priority mail and Priority Express both come with tracking numbers. The parcel is scanned at the time of delivery and at various waypoints. A package has to be a minimum thickness (I want to say 3/8"?) to go via Priority -- you can't send flat envelopes that way. Many people distrust Priority scans, as it's up to the individual carrier to do them accurately. They might leave it at the wrong address, scan it, and boom! Proof it was delivered (somewhere). And of course parcels can be lost or stolen after delivery. That said, I shipped thousands of orders via Priority and only ever lost two or three. USPS does not deserve its bad reputation.

You can send 1st class mail registered or certified to get proof of delivery, and can require a signature. Those add-ons aren't cheap and have to be bought at a postal counter.

Note that it's been five years since I was a routine shipper, and the mail classes and rules have probably changed since then. And I haven't sold anything via a third party in ages and ages. Can you leave it up to the buyer to pay extra for tracking? I recently ordered something from Canada, and the shipper gave me the choice of standard airmail delivery for $15 (allow up to four weeks) or tracked delivery for $35 (within two weeks). The shipment was only guaranteed if I paid for tracking. Since the item was only worth $40, I went with standard delivery and got lucky. It arrived in 10 days and required a signature.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mercari question..its like ebay and marketplace.

I was selling an item for $27. It clearly states shipping is $12. But in my payment processing I see only $23. That of course includes the fee and tax..but they wouldn't add up to where id be getting $23 from $39.

Im wondering if the shipping fee is never part of my payment like the old days and is instead used to pay for the shipping label I print out from them.

In the old days of online selling if you asked say $10 for your item and $10 shipping you got $20 minus a small like $2 fee..no tax and the shipping fee you got..so thats why people would list an item for $10 and set a ship fee of say $100. Is that all gone now....i mean why do I have to set a shipping fee if I dont get it?

Im used to setting a ship fee thats a little higher than it ends up being just to be sure I cover the cost...like if I think it will be $10 to ship Id set the fee $12 or $15. Then Id get a little to keep . Buit seems gone now.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you picked Mercari Shipping Option, then they take the shipping fee that the buyer paid, regardless of how much it was, and provide you with the prepaid shipping label.

If you wanted to set your own shipping fee and collect it, you are supposed to pick the "Ship on your own" option.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken: Ok that sounds great. We used to use the sign for it option a lot in the old days because what was shipped was worth it. And Ill keep your info in mind when I sell better items then. Thnx. This time the item was $27 so I wont bother and will depend on delivery confirmed only. Would cost half most likely of what I got for it to require a sig :)

gilraen: Thnx. I always put in the package size and weight and it auto picks the shipping price. So I guess thats what it would cost me if I did it. If I set the stats lower and stuck the label I can print then it would most likely not ship through. I have no little scale to weight items so I guess. When I take then to the post office they weigh it...Im always a bit over but not much. if I had a scale I could probably ask less shipping.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man people....I get "Is it still for sale?" ALL the damn time. If it wasn't it wouldn't still be up for sale now would it? Also I could list a $10000 gold bar for $5 and someone would ask if Ill take $1. Really annoying.

Just now the buyer of the item I was selling msg'd me asking when Id ship it...when I msg'd him not 2 hours ago telling him Id ship it monday. He also asked if it worked. Its in the add that no only partially, Made me mad so I asked him if he read the ad lol. F it...for that little money I can afford to lose the sale. If he wants Ill cancel the payment and f it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I never heard of a minimum thickness for priority...aren't the priority envelopes designed for flat items? I've often sent and received standard envelopes in those things, as well as just one or two pages of nominal thickness.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

People will send anything that will fit. Wasn't it someone on here that received a video card in a bubble envelope?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:00 pm I never heard of a minimum thickness for priority...aren't the priority envelopes designed for flat items? I've often sent and received standard envelopes in those things, as well as just one or two pages of nominal thickness.
Yeah, now that I think about it the minimum thickness distinguishes first class mail from first class parcels. I shipped a LOT of those.

Another advantage to Priority Mail is being able to buy and print labels at home. You can even request carrier pickup on the website. You can't buy first class parcel postage online, though, and there's a maximum weight (I think it was 13 oz). It's the cheapest way to ship small items, but only convenient if you sign up with stamps.com, which is only worthwhile if you're shipping frequently.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 pmwhat happens to those type ships if the buyer says they never got it? I worry that someone will actually get the items I ship but say they didn't and then the site will refuse to pay me and give the money back to the buyer.
I haven't ever sold anything on eBay, but from what I understand, when there is a he-said, she-said, eBay almost always sides with the buyer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 pm Thought I had a thread on this but couldn't find it again if so.

For reference:

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p2928940
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd also add, use PayPal shipnow if you're using eBay.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 pmwhat happens to those type ships if the buyer says they never got it? I worry that someone will actually get the items I ship but say they didn't and then the site will refuse to pay me and give the money back to the buyer.
I haven't ever sold anything on eBay, but from what I understand, when there is a he-said, she-said, eBay almost always sides with the buyer.
For the most part this is true. But you can mitigate it a lot by being organized and always using delivery confirmation and Shipnow.

That said, I quit selling (cards, mostly) on eBay and just use a consignment service now. Lower costs, no headaches wirh buyers.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finally! Something has sold...I think. The person is supposed to pick the item up Sunday for $50. Trouble is that $50 will be spent for needed stuff before I get back home lol. Hey it will help. Just wish everything would sell. Really need it. Oh well. Its a start.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Buyer after getting item - "Why did you send me something that doesn't work?"

Me - Did you not read the ad before buying where it clearly says DOES NOT WORK in the title and in the body of the ad? Or perhaps me msg'n you yesterday to confirm your address and saying "I hope you can get it working" did not clue you in either?

Now they want a refund....fucking hell that item is cursed..thats the THIRD person to want it or agree to buy it and then want their money back. Why doesn't anyone just Fn read the ad??? Do you REALLY think you're buying a like new item thats normally $400 for $25 and have it work?? SIGH. I F'N HATE selling online or dealing with people.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What is this cursed item?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Frogurt machine?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I was picturing an old water pump.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Schrodinger's Cat.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

But really. What is it?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I started Curio City lo these many years ago, I ran a parallel eBay storefront for clearance merch that I sold at cost or below. I shut that down after a few months. People there were all looking for something for nothing and complained about everything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is why I've never sold on eBay.

If the item is only $25 and you've had to refund it three times, you're probably spending more in shipping than the $25.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its on Mercari. Shipping is free for me. I just print out the label. Its an old broke video card.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If the payment was done through Mercari platform, and buyer reaches out to Mercari, they'll be refunded out of your payment account, and they'll want you to confirm your address for the buyer to ship the item back.

You can also contact Mercari and dispute the return (at least I think that's how it works...there are some rules around what they will and won't refund).

If the person paid you directly (bypassing Mercari) and wants a refund, just refuse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He is claiming it arrived damaged. I packed it in a box. I bubble wrapped the item extensively and I added air bags all around it too. SO I know it was not damaged in shipping. But you cant really do anything about it when they claim that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Step 1 - purchase a used and already non-functioning video card online
Step 2 - claim it was damaged during shipment
Step 3 - file an insurance claim for the value of a working video card
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you used Mercari's shipping label, buyer will have to report it as damaged and initiate return with Mercari, including providing photos of the damage. Don't do anything from your end. It's a crapshoot whether Mercari will refund them AND let you keep the money but, according to Mercari subreddit, it's possible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mercari came down on my side of this. What luck. Guess because I had said in the description that the item didn't work. Huh what about that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:37 pm Step 1 - purchase a used and already non-functioning video card online
Step 2 - claim it was damaged during shipment
Step 3 - file an insurance claim for the value of a working video card
They can't file for more than they paid. Can they?

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:42 pm Mercari came down on my side of this. What luck. Guess because I had said in the description that the item didn't work. Huh what about that.
If you're clear in the description and tags, they'll toss out frivolous claims.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know of any scams where the potential buyer msg's you and asks you to text them that they'll take it. But the area code for the number is Iowa and not TN? Sounds fishy . Ive never encountered this.

EDIT: It sounds like this....

Immediate Interest: A “buyer” wants you to text them a location to meet to give them the item. That's an attempt to retrieve your phone number, at which point the scammer could quickly register for a Google voice number, which will send a verification code to your phone.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

or they moved from Iowa and didn't change their mobile phone number...?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't replied to them yet. Was gonna call them out on trying a scam. But that might be it too. I could reply to them and tell them I dont use txt msg'n and we could simply communicate through facebook if they are still interested to set up a place to meet. That way I could see what they say.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:38 pm I could reply to them and tell them I dont use txt msg'n and we could simply communicate through facebook if they are still interested to set up a place to meet.
When we moved we sold a ton of stuff on Marketplace. Never communicate in any way other than Marketplace / Messenger. If they found you via Marketplace they can communicate that way; there is no reason to switch to text or a phone call other than scams. Saying that drove away many "interested" people but it made it really easy to spot the people who really might buy things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Never go to a second location with a stranger.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since telling them I dont do texting and that our local police station has set up a safe meeting area for online buying and selling outside the local police station with cameras they have not replied to me . :twisted:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quick Ebay shipping question before I ship today. I think I asked before but cant find it here.

If I sell something that say $100 + $10 shipping shouldn't I receive $100 minus tax? And that only? What Im seeing is like %100 - tax then I still pay that $10 shipping from my funds.....hows that fair? Shouldn't I get to print the shipping label free?

It was a buy it now if that matters. I had it set to $100 + $10 shpping but my funds show like $90 pending and when I look at the print label it says will come from my funds. That seems like ebay is being paid twice if he got charged that $10 also.

EDIT: I see a hidden transaction fee after digging deeper...buyer did pay the ship fee...just the trans fee is bigger than ship fee lol..geebuz. I dont recall them charging so much before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 am I dont recall them charging so much before.
This is the Song of the Internet, 2020s Edition.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 am I dont recall them charging so much before.
This is the Song of the Internet, 2020s Edition.
Seems. Last year I half expected some guy to be standing outside the grocery store in a trench coat going "Pssssst psssst hey buddy, Com'ere...wanna buy some eggs? Cheap man" and he throws open his coat to reveal chickens in little hay nest lining his coat.
telcta

Post by telcta »