Are you woke?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Are you woke?

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:41 pm Molson Coors is woke and conservatives are losing their s#!t

Thankfully Molson Coors is reacting with a little more courage than Anheuser-Busch and refusing to pander to bigots.

“People can take issue with our ads or our brands, but we won’t stand by as people personally attack our employees – especially given that these are company decisions, and are never made by one single person,” Adam Collins, Molson Coors’ chief communications and corporate affairs officer, told Newsweek on Tuesday. Which is precisely what the people at Bud Light should have said. Indeed, if Anheuser-Busch had reacted with a little more guts, then conservatives might not have felt so emboldened to start attacking executives at Molson Coors.
Time to use deep fake and put Ivanka Trump in a slinky bikini for a beer ad. Then add in the daughters, wives and sisters of all the right wing folks protesting women trying to reclaim their dignity with this ad. You want the right to be sleezy? Give 'em sleezy...where it hurts.
Covfefe!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

So supporting women is too woke?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:15 pm So supporting women is too woke?
Only clothed ones.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:15 pm Time to use deep fake and put Ivanka Trump in a slinky bikini for a beer ad. Then add in the daughters, wives and sisters of all the right wing folks protesting women trying to reclaim their dignity with this ad. You want the right to be sleezy? Give 'em sleezy...where it hurts.
Trump is going to support that. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I forgot he’s a bit incestuous. My bad.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:15 pm So supporting women is too woke?
Apparently. Apparently they feel threatened that progress is being made. It somehow offends their sensibilities.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But only their feelings matter.... :roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:26 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm Yeah I tell my parents that all the time - being angry and afraid about petty shit all the time is just driving you to an early grave. Stress takes a very real toll on the body, and you do have a good deal of control about how you react to things. My dad's upset about transgender high schoolers excelling in sports?? I mean really? He's 70 years old, WTF does he care about high school sports? You're shortening your life by getting upset over that?
Yeah, it's as if everything is taken as a personal affront. What's wrong with just letting anyone live their lives the way they see fit? Nobody pee'd in their cheerios or shot their dogs, yet small things like this raise their hackles. Being progressive is allowing for the fact that some people have different dispositions and orientations. Some people can't seem to abide a changing world, cursing the clouds all the time. Some need to open their eyes and learn it's not about 'them' all the time.
also:

* never take responsibility (it's always, always someone else's fault) - can't be blamed for causality
* never change things for the better (it's always, always impossible to make an effort) - can't be blamed for effect
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:26 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:26 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm Yeah I tell my parents that all the time - being angry and afraid about petty shit all the time is just driving you to an early grave. Stress takes a very real toll on the body, and you do have a good deal of control about how you react to things. My dad's upset about transgender high schoolers excelling in sports?? I mean really? He's 70 years old, WTF does he care about high school sports? You're shortening your life by getting upset over that?
Yeah, it's as if everything is taken as a personal affront. What's wrong with just letting anyone live their lives the way they see fit? Nobody pee'd in their cheerios or shot their dogs, yet small things like this raise their hackles. Being progressive is allowing for the fact that some people have different dispositions and orientations. Some people can't seem to abide a changing world, cursing the clouds all the time. Some need to open their eyes and learn it's not about 'them' all the time.
also:

* never take responsibility (it's always, always someone else's fault) - can't be blamed for causality
* never change things for the better (it's always, always impossible to make an effort) - can't be blamed for effect
Yes, it's as if they want to regress rather than progress. Hmm, that's a good name for them. Regressives. They only time they like progress is when it directly benefits them. But they'll always find some thing to complain about. Almost feels like complaining is in their nature.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:But they'll always find some thing to complain about. Almost feels like complaining is in their nature.
Purely anecdotal, but a lot of the conservatives I know fall into the category of being Debbie Downer pessimists or drama queens. People who I honestly don't think are happy unless they have some sort of grievance. I guess it gives them some purpose in life or something, who knows. I can't wrap my head around it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:14 pm
Rumpy wrote:But they'll always find some thing to complain about. Almost feels like complaining is in their nature.
Purely anecdotal, but a lot of the conservatives I know fall into the category of being Debbie Downer pessimists or drama queens. People who I honestly don't think are happy unless they have some sort of grievance. I guess it gives them some purpose in life or something, who knows. I can't wrap my head around it.
To be fair, the left also has a good share of Debbie Downer pessimist types. The pessimism is just focused on different things.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The difference is that I think we tend to be realists, and I would hope, open-minded ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:17 pm To be fair, the left also has a good share of Debbie Downer pessimist types. The pessimism is just focused on different things.
Yes, but they don't have an entire news network or media empire to tell them what to be pessimistic about.

On the right, it seems top down, so everyone is on the same page about what's crappy about the world today.

On the left, everyone has their own pet issues (some of which are insane of course).

The "both sides" argument, while technically true, is problematic for lots of reasons.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

FOX is woke:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

What a joke...
The problem is a two-way street: Fox personalities struggle to define “woke” because they have attributed the term to nearly everything under the sun, stripping it of any meaningful definition and surrendering it to right-wing dog whistles. In doing so, Fox News has solidified the word’s status as a derisive catch-all for anything involving marginalized groups or progressive policies, arguably increasing its effectiveness as a means of inspiring outrage among its audience.
List (not anywhere near comprehensive, IMHO) at the link.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.