MLB 2023 Season - Now with Playoffs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

MLB 2023 Season - Now with Playoffs

Post by Jaymann »

I just realized there are preseason games on. Play ball!
Last edited by Jaymann on Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Re: MLB 2023 Season

Post by El Guapo »

My hopes for this season are...low. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Red Sox finish third in their division.
Black Lives Matter.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’m curious about the rule changes this year. Is have an open mind. Hopefully the rules add more good than bad.

Also hopefully no one gets hurt and misses significant time from the World Baseball Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Royals are 3-0 this spring so I propose we count spring training games towards the regular season record.

It's their only hope. :grund:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My dad is weirdly optimistic about the Cubs this year. He seems to think that signing Dansby Swanson and a bunch of people who are trying to prove that they have something left in the tank is the key to success.

I'm less optimistic.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres sign Machado to an 11 year $350M contract. Nice. I hope.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

WTF? The Padres have Nelson Cruz as DH? He's 42 but more power in the lineup.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:19 pm Padres sign Machado to an 11 year $350M contract. Nice. I hope.
This year I'm mainly rooting for the teams owned by the small group of owners who are willing to spend money on their teams (which includes the Padres, especially since they have Bogaerts).
Black Lives Matter.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So far spring training games are 23 minutes shorter than last year. 2:38 per game.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:32 pm
Good. Anything to stop the batters from stepping out between every pitch to tighten their batting gloves over and over.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm So far spring training games are 23 minutes shorter than last year. 2:38 per game.
Is this all / primarily due to the pitch clock? Honestly seems like a surprisingly large impact. May be too early to say for sure, I suppose, and MLB has an interest in making the official impact as large as possible to justify the clock. But still.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I watched part of a Cubs preseason game over the weekend, and it does feel a little crisper with the pitch clock, although it's hard to tell whether that was legit or just me being impressionable. I'm not 100% sold on limiting the number of pickoff throws. The pitch clock potentially effects every play (at least, for those pitchers/hitters who would have gone over the allotted time), but the pickoff limit gives a huge advantage to the runner and there are fewer scenarios where there are a lot of pickoff throws really delaying a game. I'm just kind of impressed that MLB is doing something that is actually having an impact on game time instead congratulating themselves for window dressing like limiting mound visits and requiring relievers to face 3 batters that have almost no impact on game time.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Is a game that is 2m38s shorter going to save baseball?

It's interesting that the recent average is like 3h3m. This seems more like a concession to TV scheduling than any attempt to improve the game.

They could shorten the game a lot more by reducing time between innings and eliminating the 7th inning stretch. But that's where the commercials are.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't know if it will "save" the game, but it could make it more enjoyable - particularly on TV.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:40 pm I don't know if it will "save" the game, but it could make it more enjoyable - particularly on TV.
I love the cadence of TV baseball as it is now. Doesn't require constant attention and is great for social interaction at home or at the bar.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:37 pm Is a game that is 2m38s shorter going to save baseball?
Scuzz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm 23 minutes shorter than last year. 2:38 per game.
2h38m
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:40 pm I don't know if it will "save" the game, but it could make it more enjoyable - particularly on TV.
I love the cadence of TV baseball as it is now. Doesn't require constant attention and is great for social interaction at home or at the bar.
We'll see how it goes once we hit the regular season and I'm watching more games.
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:53 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:37 pm Is a game that is 2m38s shorter going to save baseball?
Scuzz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm 23 minutes shorter than last year. 2:38 per game.
2h38m
Yeah, I missed that LB got the time savings wrong. I would agree that 2m 38s doesn't move the needle (I'd put that into my "window dressing" category). 23 minutes per game is a much bigger difference.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I love baseball but players waste so much time doing nothing, both batting and pitching. And most of the players spent time in the minors with a pitch clock.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, so average ST gametime is 2:38. That's more significant and I'll be curious to see how it plays out over a regular season.

MYT
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Astros vs. Mets today was 3:10. It was broadcast on ESPN so took some extra time for the national broadcast.

That plus there were 17 walks combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Umpires left the field after Baltimore's Josh Lester grounded out to end the top of the ninth inning with the Orioles trailing 7-4, officially ending the spring training contest.

But the teams went ahead and played the bottom of the ninth inning after Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Baltimore skipper Brandon Hyde had a quick discussion.

The Orioles wanted to get some work on the mound for right-hander Ofreidy Gómez. Teams occasionally agree to shorten or lengthen spring training games depending on needs.

Hyde said the umpiring crew was not on board with the plan and left the field.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Perfect opportunity for a fake out where he hears one pitch but it is code for a different one.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:57 pm I just realized there are preseason games on. Play ball!
I see the Cubs have already been mathematically eliminated.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:39 pm ESPN
Umpires left the field after Baltimore's Josh Lester grounded out to end the top of the ninth inning with the Orioles trailing 7-4, officially ending the spring training contest.

But the teams went ahead and played the bottom of the ninth inning after Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Baltimore skipper Brandon Hyde had a quick discussion.

The Orioles wanted to get some work on the mound for right-hander Ofreidy Gómez. Teams occasionally agree to shorten or lengthen spring training games depending on needs.

Hyde said the umpiring crew was not on board with the plan and left the field.
How dare they presume to make the games meaningful!
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets are out a starting pitcher and likely their closer for the season before the season starts. I really wonder why I bother even trying to care? Diaz looks like he blew his ALC in the WBC game tonight. Seriously f off world... :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sad trumpet.

(Too soon?)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Meal wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:46 am Sad trumpet.

(Too soon?)
Why trumpet instead of trombone?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 am

(Too soon?)
Did you miss all the hubbub about Edwin Diaz coming out to this song featuring Timmy Trumpet last year?
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The weird thing was how his ankle was flopping around. If it was his ACL I don't think that would happen. It's like he snapped a tendon or something. He's going to be out a lonnnnngggg time.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Red Sox are dominating their Spring Training games, and their new Japanese player (Yoshida) is raking in the WBC, so I feel comfortable buying World Series tickets at this point.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:21 am
Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 am

(Too soon?)
Did you miss all the hubbub about Edwin Diaz coming out to this song featuring Timmy Trumpet last year?
Yeah I vaguely remember that but didn't connect the dots.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:44 am The weird thing was how his ankle was flopping around. If it was his ACL I don't think that would happen. It's like he snapped a tendon or something. He's going to be out a lonnnnngggg time.
Full-thickness tear of his patellar tendon. Surgery today. I doubt he pitches again in 2023.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya zero chance of that. I had a feeling it was something like that because of the way his ankle was flopping around. 6-12 months. So he should be good for next year.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 pm The Red Sox are dominating their Spring Training games, and their new Japanese player (Yoshida) is raking in the WBC, so I feel comfortable buying World Series tickets at this point.
FWIW, one year the Cubs dominated in Spring Training and then started the season something like 3-30. I think they were mathematically eliminated by Memorial Day. Just like preseason football, only fools make post-season plans based on preseason outcomes. :P
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:42 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 pm The Red Sox are dominating their Spring Training games, and their new Japanese player (Yoshida) is raking in the WBC, so I feel comfortable buying World Series tickets at this point.
FWIW, one year the Cubs dominated in Spring Training and then started the season something like 3-30. I think they were mathematically eliminated by Memorial Day. Just like preseason football, only fools make post-season plans based on preseason outcomes. :P
Just to be clear I was joking. Baseball's weird sometimes and it's certainly *possible* that everything clicks for the Red Sox and they surprisingly contend, but in truth I would consider a third place finish to be a success this year.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am
Just to be clear I was joking. Baseball's weird sometimes and it's certainly *possible* that everything clicks for the Red Sox and they surprisingly contend, but in truth I would consider a third place finish to be a success this year.
The Royals are 15-5 and dominating the Cactus league so we'll see you in the ALCS I guess?

Maybe the Royals and Red Sox should play a series to determine the true winner of spring training. :mrgreen:

I was in Arizona last weekend and the pitch clock makes such a huge difference in the game. I went to a Padres/Royals game that ended 1-0 and the game time was 2:04. But it's not just that the game are shorter, it's that the time being eliminated is all dead time. It's the pitcher wandering behind the mound or the batter stepping out of the box between every pitch to tighten the batting gloves. With the pitch clock, particularly with no one on base, the pitcher and batter stay focused on the at-bat. We went to a WBC game that doesn't have the pitch clock and the difference was stark. So much wasted time.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am
I think everyone but Jeff got that. Between this and his missing the "What's a ute?" reference in the NCAA thread, I'm guessing Jeff was off after a long day of Ubering folks around.