Diablo 3 - Season 28

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Diablo 3 - Season 28

Post by coopasonic »

This is the last season of Diablo3 before the release of Diablo 4.

The main change for this season is a new set of "perks" you can unlock that go way beyond anything they have done in previous seasons. The very first one is pretty simple:
"Your Kill Streak timer duration and reward bonus are doubled"
Then it branches and you can choose between pools of reflection being permanent or items having no level requirement...

There are almost 30 in total. You can only get two of them before level 70 so choose wisely.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/season-28- ... -mechanics
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Re: Diablo 3 - Season 28

Post by rittchard »

I just started messing around in Season 28 but I didn't realize I had to go find the location for the new stuff, lol. Thanks for the link!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This seemed enticing at first but most of this stuff just effectively amounts to more rapid power growth. Which is fine... I'm sure it will be fun to feel even stronger, faster. And in a sense, sure, that's all Diablo and season progression ultimately is. But I don't think it will be enough to get me to log in. It would be a lot more fun to experience new powers on the level of what the more interesting legendaries do. But obviously that would require a ton more development time.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:54 pm This seemed enticing at first but most of this stuff just effectively amounts to more rapid power growth. Which is fine... I'm sure it will be fun to feel even stronger, faster. And in a sense, sure, that's all Diablo and season progression ultimately is.
Sort of. I enjoy the feeling of getting stronger - once I'm actually near the peak, the game loses most of its appeal. Shortening the journey would reduce the fun.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm the last character i need to max out is a barb..so maybe its time to go back.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Personally, I'm loving the ability of my pet to scoop up all the white, blue, and yellow items. As well as money and, now, death's breaths. Makes things so much smoother.

And I even started a second character, which is rare. But being able to use any level 70 item on a new character without having to level a Gem of Ease makes it so convenient.

I am starting to think that I need to push for the increased pick up range for orbs. I was skipping it, but it would remove one of the last things slowing down rift runs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've been effectively stuck on this season because I started with a wizard and the 4 piece set is not enough to do the Torment IV/GR20 stuff needed for the last two pieces. The GR20 part has to be done solo so I am just kind of stuck until I can get there. I am foolishly insisting on trying to get there solo which means I probably will never get there and just walk away. Using the altar ability removing level reqs means I can get other classes up to 70 pretty easy but getting them to Torment IV would also be a huge grind I am not very interested in. It seems like I may just be missing out on this season.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:22 pm I've been effectively stuck on this season because I started with a wizard and the 4 piece set is not enough to do the Torment IV/GR20 stuff needed for the last two pieces. The GR20 part has to be done solo so I am just kind of stuck until I can get there. I am foolishly insisting on trying to get there solo which means I probably will never get there and just walk away. Using the altar ability removing level reqs means I can get other classes up to 70 pretty easy but getting them to Torment IV would also be a huge grind I am not very interested in. It seems like I may just be missing out on this season.
I power leveled gilraen in a couple of hours last night. I know you aren't the most social person out there ( :wink: ) but I'd be happy to run you through a couple high level rifts to see if you can either get the drops you need, or get sufficient shards to try purchasing them. Not like I won't be running those anyway...

The only bummer is that I don't have an intelligence based character. So I can't hand off drops that I don't need. Alternatively, if you want to level up a strength or dex based character to then use to help your wizard, then that I can help you with.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BTW, I'm always impressed with people that play wizards. I've always struggled with them. Early on they are fine, but I can't ever seem to get them to a level where I'm happy with them and can run some higher rifts.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:26 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:22 pm I've been effectively stuck on this season because I started with a wizard and the 4 piece set is not enough to do the Torment IV/GR20 stuff needed for the last two pieces. The GR20 part has to be done solo so I am just kind of stuck until I can get there. I am foolishly insisting on trying to get there solo which means I probably will never get there and just walk away. Using the altar ability removing level reqs means I can get other classes up to 70 pretty easy but getting them to Torment IV would also be a huge grind I am not very interested in. It seems like I may just be missing out on this season.
I power leveled gilraen in a couple of hours last night. I know you aren't the most social person out there ( :wink: ) but I'd be happy to run you through a couple high level rifts to see if you can either get the drops you need, or get sufficient shards to try purchasing them. Not like I won't be running those anyway...

The only bummer is that I don't have an intelligence based character. So I can't hand off drops that I don't need. Alternatively, if you want to level up a strength or dex based character to then use to help your wizard, then that I can help you with.
I appreciate the offer. If I wanted to go that way I have a friend that has a paragon 1000-ish Wizard that would be happy to load me up. I am just being stubborn.
TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:27 pm BTW, I'm always impressed with people that play wizards. I've always struggled with them. Early on they are fine, but I can't ever seem to get them to a level where I'm happy with them and can run some higher rifts.
I think there are a couple of interesting wizard options that I've enjoyed. One of the higher tier builds this season is the Tal Rasha Meteor that I haven't tried and that is where I was hoping to go. Barbarian and Demon Hunter are my go to classes and I wanted to change it up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Gotcha.

For what it's worth, that's one of the hardest transitions. For most sets, the 4pc bonus is generally defensive. So you don't get the extra damage you need. 2pcs will let you jump into Torment levels. And 6pcs will let you (usually) vault up to T8 pretty easily. I don't generally go higher than T8 until I get the rest of the defensive pieces for the build. Having the dps doesn't help much if you die super easily. :D

But 4pcs... It's hard to make it past that T4-T6 window. Not unless you can get a weapon, off-hand, etc. that boosts your damage significantly. I had some long fights on my Demon Hunter until I got a weapon drop.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive finished the game with 2 different demon hunters, 1 wizard, 1 necro (far the easiest) .

Never liked the crusader or the witchdoctor. I really tried with the witchdoctor too. Barely touched my monk.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Crusader is my least favorite.

Pretty sure I've played/tried every class and every build.

Thorns build was somewhat interesting. And the steed farming build is fun for a little while (though I don't have any need to farm any more).

Wizard builds tend to be too fidgety for me. Too much reliance on timing and hitting specific skills at the right moments. Best luck I had was an Archon build.

Witchdoctor is a ton of fun. Though I do confess to not being thrilled with the poison dart build, which is one of the stronger ones. But I love the pets build. Running around behind a mass of ~30 pets makes one feel pretty godlike. And I had a lot of fun doing a Haunt build.

Monk was okay. I know there are some really solid builds. I just don't find them very memorable... I guess.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont really remember my builds either but I can tell you my D2 builds still. Bowazon, spearazon, iceball sorc, spinning barb, skeleton army and golem necro
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm bored with everything right now waiting on Diablo 4 so I rolled up a Witch Doctor. It's the only class I never got to 60+ with.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

After seeing some action in this thread I decided to see if I could make the push. I slowly climbed the GR ladder from 10 to 20, one rung at a time and got a couple of minor upgrades along the way that gave me just enough oomph to do the Torment IV/GR20 tasks and get the 6 piece. The 6 piece instantly got me to Torment VIII, but I am too brittle for X. I can do it, but I am always one hit from death. I think it's enough to improve my build and it also allowed me to open up the altar a bit more. I think I have around 5 nodes now and asks are already getting steep... 30 forgotten souls, cmon man I am barely getting legendaries! :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You may need to use your new-found success to get shards that you can use on another character to try for set pieces. :D

Also... "brittle" is exactly why I have always struggled with Wizards. :(

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh... Typhon's Veil. Apparently designed completely around hydras. I actually don't think I've ever played that set. So much for having done it all. :D

Oof... That is some terrible damage mitigation on that build. You have to keep max hydras up at all times... and taking damage nukes them... which makes you take more damage... Have you gotten Halo of Karini yet? Seems like that's the only way you will be able to increase the Torment level with even a modicum of safety. And there is no way I'd use Squirt's necklace in a brittle build. That's just asking for it. If you move around a lot maybe try the Traveler's set.

Over all it seems like that set is designed around staying as far away from danger as possible and casting hydras in front of you to keep everything away.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:45 pm After seeing some action in this thread I decided to see if I could make the push. I slowly climbed the GR ladder from 10 to 20, one rung at a time and got a couple of minor upgrades along the way that gave me just enough oomph to do the Torment IV/GR20 tasks and get the 6 piece. The 6 piece instantly got me to Torment VIII, but I am too brittle for X. I can do it, but I am always one hit from death. I think it's enough to improve my build and it also allowed me to open up the altar a bit more. I think I have around 5 nodes now and asks are already getting steep... 30 forgotten souls, cmon man I am barely getting legendaries! :P
You think those requirements are rough! :D I'm up to around 23. I'm now stuck on needing an Ancient Puzzle ring. So I just have to play and hope for a very rare version of a rare drop.... We'll see how long that keeps me engaged. On the other front I'm planning on working through the rest of the Season chapters. I'm stuck on beating a set dungeon. Most of them now require you to gimp your character. Probably more so now that I've got all the season buffs. That's why I leveled a Barbarian. They have a set dungeon that is super easy. Once that's done, the big hurdle will be the Challenges.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I never looked into what the altar would require. They have exceeded my imagination.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have a level 70 Monk and Barbarian only. I thought I would give Season 28 a whirl and picked a Wizard. Fine until level 60 and goes from no issues to way to squishy. I'm gonna get him to 70 then try something different. He's a slog compared to the Monk and Barbarian
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Demon Hunter doesn't have the innate damage resistance of the Barbarian or Monk, but generally doesn't feel that squishy. You might find that easier than a Wizard. And different if you didn't want to replay a class you are familiar with. Also, some of the high end DH builds are simply sick. :wub:

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got the Tal Rasha meteor setup going. I'm still missing one survival piece, but it's been good up to GR90-ish. The altar is grinding my gears though... I cleaned up my stash to get the 250 legendary salvage materials and then a couple notches later it is asking me to assemble all the class sets... you know, the ones I just salvaged. :evil: I'm not sure how much more I am going to keep pushing, but I'm still having fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You broke down set items? Doh!

I always keep a copy of each full set. You never know. In this case I used them to get one of the Conquests done. And, of course, it made it super easy to get the 4 pages.

I'm actually down to the last 2. I just finished GR100/1500 Blood Shards. Now I have to get the components for the Staff of Herding. I've done it before, but I'll have to look it up.

I'm surprised you weren't swimming in Forgotten Souls. Once you start running higher rifts, you tend to get tons of legendaries and set items.

So how easy/fiddly is the Tal Rasha set? That's the thing I hate the most. A friend is doing a Necromancer. I was surprised to find that the nova build is currently at the top. Now I'm tempted. I always loved the idea of standing in the middle and spamming blood novas. :wub: But it used to suck for damage.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Is it normal to be completely unable to find a multiplayer bounty game at early levels? (Before 70, before Torment.) I forget. Even when it says there are 55 players available etc., I get dumped into a game by my lonesome. Twice out of probably 12 tries have I seen another player.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:?: Sorry. No idea. I've never tried multiplayer.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:49 pm I'm surprised you weren't swimming in Forgotten Souls. Once you start running higher rifts, you tend to get tons of legendaries and set items.

So how easy/fiddly is the Tal Rasha set? That's the thing I hate the most. A friend is doing a Necromancer. I was surprised to find that the nova build is currently at the top. Now I'm tempted. I always loved the idea of standing in the middle and spamming blood novas. :wub: But it used to suck for damage.
I was low on souls because I was doing upgrades in the cube trying to get the last piece for the build.

There are a few different Tal Rasha builds that are effective, but there are a couple that are pretty close to brain dead. I am basically just running around hitting meteor.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That sounds easy enough! :D

I did switch my DH from the Gears/Strafe build (which is sooooo fast) to a multishot build. Now it feels like I'm moving through molasses. But at least I'm not going to die by spinning into something I shouldn't have. So far the only test was to use a key to open an Echoing Nightmare. Surprisingly (though I'm sure due to all the Altar bonuses) I made it to level 133 on the first try and got the level 125 Whisper of Atonement gem that I needed for the Altar upgrade. The build isn't too bad - place sentries (which I definitely don't do "correctly" to maximize damage/coverage), spam multishot with periodic generators added in; occasionally randomly hit other buttons in the hopes of not dying.

Black Lives Matter

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

My Wizard has completed the 4 chapters and got his 6 pieces as well as the Guardian bracers and Waist. Also RoRG. I still need Theo & Tasker gloves and Main weapon and Off hand currently using Chantod's set and Squirts Necklace. Up to GR32 which I ran in just over 5 minutes.

Moved level to Torment X. Not really a problem and the drops were so much better
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

TheMix wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:25 pm :?: Sorry. No idea. I've never tried multiplayer.
Do you mean you only do bounties solo? I.e., do you not use group finder and everyone completed one act so everyone can get five caches in one fifth of the time?

This morning the menu was reporting 255 players in Expert difficulty. So I click to join a public game. But it only ever pairs me with one person, more often zero. I know that it's easy to find public games in Torment when 70+, but I thought I could usually find one pre-70 in the past also.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Correct. I pretty much play it as a solo game. Occasionally I group up with gilraen if she's playing or a friend in the area.

I don't actually mind doing the bounties. Since it's the experience of playing that I like, I don't really have a need to try and crank through bounties. The one exception is early on when I need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. That's the only time I get annoyed by bounties. :D

And now that I'm getting two caches, and running at T16, I really don't have a need to run them much at all.

Basically I've just never had the need to do bounty farming. At least not in recent years/Seasons.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

On a separate note, completed the Altar up to the potions and nabbed the first potion. I do have a couple more Primals that I could break down, but they are actually good ones. So just waiting for ... 5 more Primals to finish out the Altar completely.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sudy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:02 pm I know that it's easy to find public games in Torment when 70+, but I thought I could usually find one pre-70 in the past also.
There's hardly anyone under 70 because they've made it beyond trivial to get an alt (and even your first character really) to 70 this season.

I've basically wandered away due to boredom. I passed GR100 and grinding to finish out the sets is both trivial and repetitive so I've lost interest. I'm never making the leaderboards and I'm not a fan of set dungeons so I'm not really progressing anything meaningful. The altar stuff made things interesting for a bit.

Now I am wondering if I should bother with Diablo 4.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, but surely there should be scores levelling to 70 still this early in the season? Or are bounties not the preferred way to level early-on? Everyone needs those mats. I have the +50 and +20% experience gain sets equipped as well as the helmet gem for the majority of my journey, but the trek to 70 has still taken me... what, five hours?

I used to enjoy the journey as the chance to re-learn and play with different skills and often played 1-70 solo each season. But after running probably 15-20 characters to 70 over the years I'm over it.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't think people use bounties to level that often. But I could be mistaken. I suspect that most people start with the weekly Challenge dungeon. So they don't really need the mats. I know that I used Nephalem rifts to level this time.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some of us still prefer adventure mode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"still"? Do you mean Campaign mode? We've been discussing Adventure mode already.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sudy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:42 pm but the trek to 70 has still taken me... what, five hours?
So, you haven't found the Altar of Rites? The ability to equip level 70 gear almost immediately means it shouldn't take more than an hour to get to 70 even solo. Maybe add 10 minutes for the challenge rift, though last week's was a bit harder to get down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But where do I get 70 gear early on my first seasonal character? Were all the rares unlocked at the blacksmith as soon as I unlocked that rite? It didn't occur me as everything is now labelled level one, and that's how I distinguish item power at a glance. Anyway, I just got to 70 so it doesn't matter at this point.

That labelling also makes it damned annoying to equip your follower(s).

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:58 pm But where do I get 70 gear early on my first seasonal character? Were all the rares unlocked at the blacksmith as soon as I unlocked that rite? It didn't occur me as everything is now labelled level one, and that's how I used to distinguish item power at a glance. Anyway, I just got to 70 so it doesn't matter at this point.

That labelling also makes it damned annoying to equip your follower(s).
I definitely agree with the latter statement. I didn't like that aspect at all.

The way to get the 70 gear quickly (which I totally didn't think of) is:
1.) Run the Challenge rift for the week
2.) Level the Blacksmith up to max level using the money and materials from the Challenge rift reward
3.) Craft all highest level Rares for every spot (again, everything showing as Level 1 required can be annoying - just do the Rare at the top of the list)

And, of course, get the first 2 levels of the Altar

Black Lives Matter