Forza Motorsport (2023)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Forza Motorsport (2023)

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Re: Forza Motorsport (2023)

Post by coopasonic »

I haven't played motorsport since the first couple. It might be time to give it another try. The price is right.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More info on the game:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Official track list for now, three to yet be announced:
Last updated on Tuesday, August 22: Nürburgring GP and Mugello
• Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
• Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
• Eaglerock Speedway - announced August 8th
• Grand Oak Raceway - announced August 11th
• Hakone Circuit
• Indianapolis Motor Speedway
• Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit - video reveal
• Laguna Seca Raceway
• Le Mans - Circuit International de la Sarthe
• Maple Valley - video reveal
• Mugello Circuit - announced August 22nd
• Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
• Nürburgring GP* - announced August 22nd
• Road America - announced August 5th
• Silverstone Circuit
• Suzuka Circuit - video reveal
• Virginia International Raceway

*As part of our plan to regularly bring new content to the game after release, we are also happy to confirm the iconic 12.9-mile (20.83 km) Nordschleife will be coming in Spring 2024. Both tracks have been completely rebuilt for the Xbox Series X|S and PC.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No Watkins Glen, not buying!

Note: I was going to play it on gamepass anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:40 pm No Watkins Glen, not buying!

Note: I was going to play it on gamepass anyway.
I might be considering getting the Premium Edition, but it does come out the same day as Assassin's Creed Mirage :think:

For my Watkins Glen fix, I go to my Automobilista 2 game which has all the layouts :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's a good video of the devs explaining career mode, it cleared up a lot of questions for me:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Forza Motorsport is the Competitive Ground for Building Skill
The Forza franchise has always been about falling in love with cars and building a community of car lovers and gamers. Forza Motorsport does this through competition and skill.

In the new Forza Motorsport, we have completely rethought what it means to play Motorsport. This is a massive game with over 500 cars and 20 tracks, all featuring 24-hour dynamic time-of-day with weather. These cars were handpicked by our team, curated to deliver the absolute best experience across both Builders Cup and Featured Multiplayer for clean, thrilling and competitive racing.

This game isn’t about collecting all 500 cars. It’s about finding the ones that speak the most to you. We have built a new gameplay loop where you are constantly learning through play and improving yourself on the track in a fun and approachable way. You are getting comfortable with a car and the nuances of a stock car really come out in a way that they haven't since Forza Motorsport 1 through 4. The new physics brings out the differences in all these cars so you’re not just learning how to drive a car, but how to race it through traffic and pass your opponents.

Even if you are not familiar with motorsports or racing rules, the new gameplay systems we’ve built into Forza Motorsport like our Car Mastery corner scoring system, Forza Race Regulations and car building encourage natural learning and empower players to be successful and build their skill through competition.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Forget all that 'Car-PG' stuff, the AI is what makes Forza Motorsport worth playing
The stretch from the lights to the apex of turn two at Kyalami is a long one. Before you catch sight of the corner, you crest a hill and navigate ‘the kink’, a flat-out righthand turn that just barely qualifies as a corner. And then the road falls away just in time for you to see your doom: a long, downhill braking zone into the tight Crowthorne lefthander, almost a hairpin.

With a few races under my belt in Forza Motorsport already, I can say with 100% certainty that the run down to Crowthorne on lap one is going to be armageddon. It’s going to look like a scene in a mediaeval painting, cars strewn around the gravel trap like slain soldiers. Above all the other features Turn 10 has touted in the run-up to this big Forza relaunch, what really reinvigorates this game is how varied, ruthless, and downright reckless the AI drivers are.

Please don’t tone it down, Turn 10. I love it. I love to see drivers taking so many different lines into a corner, and then having to react to each other mid-turn while they’re unbalanced and off-camber. It’s great to observe AI drivers outmanoeuvring each other on corner exit and aggressively gunning it for overtakes on the straights.

My absolute favourite, though, is watching all the mistakes and crashes. You really get the sense that the drivers around you are pushing it to the limit, and even experimenting with different ways of achieving your shared goal: getting around this track really quickly.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Genuinely excited about this game... more stuff: Forza Motorsport Reveals Achievements, Trading Cards, Profile Customization. While Grand Theft Auto III was the killer app that got me to buy a PS2, it was a Forza game that got me to buy my first Xbox :D
Forza Motorsport has reached an important milestone on the journey towards our October 10 launch date – the game has officially “gone gold!” This means we’ve submitted Forza Motorsport for retail disc pressing and have initiated preloads on Xbox Series X|S consoles and Windows 10/11 PCs.

Everyone who has pre-ordered Forza Motorsport on the Microsoft Store or has Game Pass for PC or console can pre-download the game starting today. This means you can immediately begin playing Forza Motorsport when Early Access rolls out on October 5, included with the Premium Edition and Premium Add-Ons Bundle. Stay tuned for Steam preload closer to release.

Enlarge Image

Here are the download sizes for Forza Motorsport on PC and console:

Xbox Series X : 133 GB
Xbox Series S : 100 GB
Windows 10 and 11 PC (Microsoft Store) : 119 GB
Steam: 118 GB
Installed file size; download size is approximately 108 GB

To celebrate this milestone, we’re excited to reveal the full list of Forza Motorsport achievements you can unlock on Xbox and Steam starting October 5, as well as the loyalty rewards that will be gifted to everyone who has played a previous Forza Motorsport or Forza Horizon game: the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Forza Edition and the Faithful Fan Driver Suit. Forza Motorsport players also receive the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray in Forza Horizon 5.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Enjoy New Content in Forza Motorsport Every Month
Forza Motorsport launches on October 10 with over 500 cars, 20 completely rebuilt tracks and our new career and online racing modes. It’s a massive game from day one and it’ll continue to grow over time.

We want to ensure you always have something new to play in Forza Motorsport. That’s why we built the game to be an evolving racing platform. Once the game has been released, we expect to regularly add new content with monthly content drops that will help you fall in love with cars through skill and competition, as well as tweaks to gameplay and systems.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More info: According to a post on the Steam Forum from the devs, the following was noted:
Forza Motorsport Early Access starts on Thursday, October 5 at 12am local time in your country on Xbox and Windows. On Steam, this unlock happens globally at 12:01am EDT on October 5.
Since I'm in the EDT zone, it's a toss-up for me. If however you are on the USA West Coast and getting the game through Steam, you'll have more time to play it Wednesday night before you need to finally get some sleep :wink:

Also, the Forza Motorsport Initial Car List
Updated October 2, 2023:
We're now revealing the full car list at launch. The list below groups the cars by the Division used in the game. See the first Car Pass cars announced and more recent blogs for additional cars coming in October.
I'd recommend checking out the list via the article if you are interested.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I haven't been following this since I don't play my old Forza very often. Does it work on XBox One? I don't see that listed. I don't want to buy a new XBox just to play Minecraft and this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:45 am I haven't been following this since I don't play my old Forza very often. Does it work on XBox One? I don't see that listed. I don't want to buy a new XBox just to play Minecraft and this.
Doesn't look like it will. I'll be playing on PC with an xbox controller.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Steam pre-load is now available. 100+ GB.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

unpacking now...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So as of now I have just over five hours in the game. If you played Forza Motorsport 7 from a few years back, lots of it will look familiar. You can read the previews and reviews if you want more details on things in the game.

Regarding the reviews, there were those who loved it and those who just said "meh", but it is kind of what you are expecting out of the game. There is no story line, nor is it hard core like iRacing, ACC or my go-to race sim, Automobilista 2. The racing physics do seem to be better than FM7, which they were supposed to be, but of course the idea is that most of the cars are off the showroom types and you upgrade them. The upgrading really makes a difference, my 2022 Subaru BRZ was pretty lame straight out of the box, but I've upgraded it in several areas and it really does drive much better.

One website did mention issues with frame rate even though the reviewer had pretty much the same rig as I do. His specs said he should be able to run it at Ultra but he says there will significant issues. When I installed the game it defaulted to High but after a few races I raised that to Ultra. I had no frame rate issues (there is an fps display right on the screen if you want it) at several tracks, till I went to Laguna Seca. When I would make the last turn going onto the front straight the frame rate dropped from a solid 60 to the mid-40s and didn't go back up until I had finished the straight and was running towards the back of the course. It was only at this track but I've gone back to High since that looks just fine to me.

More later.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a video replay (trackside cameras) of my four laps of a race at Laguna Seca. I'm driving a 2021 Volkswagen Golf R with minimal upgrades.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a short video, taken from the cockpit view, of the first two and a half laps of my race at Watkins Glen, driving my Volkswagen Golf R in the rain. I started 24 and ended up first at the end of the video. Obviously I need to up the level of the AI!

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today I finish another series event which was a lot of fun. I also participated in the Rivals competition in several events. Rivals lets you race one on one against all the other Forza 23 players who compete by setting a time in an events. There are several events, some that are open to classes at specific tracks, basically you can configure any car you want to race there as long as it is within the class limitations. There are others that use a stock version of one car so you are racing against someone in an identical car with the same performance index (PI) and identical setups. I did that today, running a stock Subaru BRZ at one of the five layouts of the Virginia International Speedway. As you run, each lap you are paired up with the ghost car of the person that is just above you in the rankings; that changes each time if you set a faster time and move up the ladder. As you can see in the image, in this event I'm now ranked 5,752 of 6,588 which bothered me at first since I figured that number one was the fastest, but it turns out that I'm in the top 13% because number 6,588 is the fastest person 8-). Not bad for a seventy year old who only drove five laps there.

Enlarge Image

I've now got in twelve hours in the game and there have been no crashes or other bugs, except for that frame rate issue I mentioned above. About the only gripe I have is that just a few times I was popped out in the middle of the race because of a momentary glitch in my internet connection. The game requires a continuous connection for the purposes of logging your race performance and other milestones. However, it does say I could continue offline if I wished. I haven't experimented with that option yet but if I get an internet dropout sometime later I might explore what happens.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's a rough start to the race at Spa. Several cars (including mine) get turned around.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm I haven't played motorsport since the first couple. It might be time to give it another try. The price is right.
I played through the intro series, bumped up the difficulty to 3 and I should bump it higher but I really like winning... I'll try 4 tonight. On 3 I can start from 24th place and be on the podium by end of the first lap. That amuses me, but a little more challenge may amuse me more.

I am not sure I am in on this for the long haul though as it lacks the excitement of Horizon with all the different events and activities. 100% road racing is... well... fine. Repeating laps trying to optimize your section scores is about as fun as it sounds. It looks really nice and plays well. I should try the wheel before I give up completely.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I’ve only done those first few intro races so far but first impressions are good. I’ve enjoyed Horizon’s style but it’s been a while since I’ve raced regular tracks and I’m enjoying being back to it.

Seems a little odd that you get made to race qualifying laps but then just choose whatever starting position you want. I really like that you get a rolling start to your first practice lap — I always hated having to do one throwaway first lap since your first one would always be slower.

Are they doing the drivatar thing with this one? When I see all y’all’s names appearing in my race, is it just randomly inserting friends’ names or does it actually pull your race times and driving style? Just times?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:10 pm I am not sure I am in on this for the long haul though as it lacks the excitement of Horizon with all the different events and activities. 100% road racing is... well... fine. Repeating laps trying to optimize your section scores is about as fun as it sounds. It looks really nice and plays well. I should try the wheel before I give up completely.
Definitely try the wheel, this version really benefits from the precision of wheel and pedal. The feel of the tires on the asphalt is very apparent.

FM2023 is a real niche game. What I enjoy is taking a basic car like a VW Scirocco and as you do multiple events in a series you upgrade it and it drives a bit different at each event. I like to fiddle with trying different upgrades to see the effects. That's part of the appeal for me.

I have the Forzatune app on my phone which helps with my tuning as otherwise I'd be totally lost. It was just updated today for FM2023.

I did a race today where it went from a dry track to a wet one and it was very noticeable how the handling of the car changed. I just wish that when you create a race you had more control over the weather if you want that transition effect. Maybe it will be patched in. However, otherwise the weather choices are really good.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 pm I’ve only done those first few intro races so far but first impressions are good. I’ve enjoyed Horizon’s style but it’s been a while since I’ve raced regular tracks and I’m enjoying being back to it.

Seems a little odd that you get made to race qualifying laps but then just choose whatever starting position you want. I really like that you get a rolling start to your first practice lap — I always hated having to do one throwaway first lap since your first one would always be slower.

Are they doing the drivatar thing with this one? When I see all y’all’s names appearing in my race, is it just randomly inserting friends’ names or does it actually pull your race times and driving style? Just times?
Of course those aren't really qualifying laps, just sample laps so the game can decide where you would finish depending on where you decide to start. I really like this mechanic since sometimes in games it felt pointless to do a bunch of practice laps followed by a bunch of qualifying laps. I usually do all the laps I can since that generates the most car points for upgrades.

I understand that they are just pulling names for the drivatars, not styles or performance. I read that somewhere a while ago I seem to remember.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wait, how can I be in the top 13% and Coop in the top 31% but he's faster than me? :think:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally beat Coop at VIR in the Subaru BRZ, but I could only do it by turning off the Rival ghost. It's just too distracting on that track. And to beat him I had to do a clean lap, no offs or rewinds, and that was damn near impossible :shock:. I finally got lucky on one lap, but I'm sure I couldn't duplicate it.

I couldn't beat him in Maple Valley with the 2024 Vette, no matter what I did, he took that first big sweeping corner quicker and came out faster. I did catch up a bit on the bridge, but never caught him the rest of the way. My problem is that last little corner, I either slow down too much or I slide out and hit the wall on the left :roll:
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I'm finding the PC version a bit buggy tbh, DLSS haas disappeared twice tanking performance. My speedo switches betwewen mph and kph and also seems to jump out of 60fps vsync and not sync. Having to restart everytime after fiddling is also a real pain
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:47 am Finally beat Coop at VIR in the Subaru BRZ, but I could only do it by turning off the Rival ghost. It's just too distracting on that track. And to beat him I had to do a clean lap, no offs or rewinds, and that was damn near impossible :shock:. I finally got lucky on one lap, but I'm sure I couldn't duplicate it.

I couldn't beat him in Maple Valley with the 2024 Vette, no matter what I did, he took that first big sweeping corner quicker and came out faster. I did catch up a bit on the bridge, but never caught him the rest of the way. My problem is that last little corner, I either slow down too much or I slide out and hit the wall on the left :roll:
I didn't want you to be bored today so I knocked another second or so off my VIR time. :D It boggles my mind that there are people 6 seconds faster than I am. I can't even imagine finding that much time.

It's funny that at Maple Valley I was having a hell of a time beating you. I think it was only like a tenth when I finally did.

Anyway, I am still having fun with the game. I am on the third series and the cars are getting more interesting, but I really should turn up the difficulty a bit. at 3 I am now projected to finished first even when starting in 24th position. When every lap is 5 seconds faster than the competition, it gets a bit boring.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Reemul wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:38 am I'm finding the PC version a bit buggy tbh, DLSS haas disappeared twice tanking performance. My speedo switches betwewen mph and kph and also seems to jump out of 60fps vsync and not sync. Having to restart everytime after fiddling is also a real pain
For the record, I've seen none of that. I've also not looked at the graphics settings. I don't even know where it put me by default. Oh and I am pretty much never looking at the speedo either. Since they don't have speed traps, it doesn't seem very important.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hmm, I haven't seen those bugs but as I mentioned above I switched from Ultra to High and don't have DLSS enabled. Since then the only time I haven't seen a steady 60 fps was at the standing start of one race in the rain.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Missing textures today and a hard crash as well.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed running the benchmark the car at the back left looks rubbish and certainly does not look like it’s on wheels
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:28 pm Missing textures today and a hard crash as well.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed running the benchmark the car at the back left looks rubbish and certainly does not look like it’s on wheels
Are you on PC? How much VRAM and regular RAM?
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:21 pm
Reemul wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:28 pm Missing textures today and a hard crash as well.

New PC running a 4070TI 12 gig ram, 16gig pc ram and series 13 processor. It just seems a tad buggy and all over the place. This is at 3440 x 1440

Saying that just tried it on my old gaming laptop and on all low with dlss on a 2060 it barely makes 30fps in 1920. FH5 runs amazing compared to this
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:54 pm

New PC running a 4070TI 12 gig ram, 16gig pc ram and series 13 processor. It just seems a tad buggy and all over the place. This is at 3440 x 1440

Saying that just tried it on my old gaming laptop and on all low with dlss on a 2060 it barely makes 30fps in 1920. FH5 runs amazing compared to this
Hmm, are you running at Ultra or High? I had issues with the short time I used Ultra but the game is running fine on High.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Porsche 914 at Mid-Ohio Short Course. I tried a race where I started all the way back in 24th, difficulty of 5/8. The Porsche 914 is at a performance index of D360 and drives great. In five laps I managed to get through most of the field, but not to the podium. Really the car is on rails, the best performer so far with regards to handling.

My car:
Enlarge Image

My driving assists settings, for those wondering:
Enlarge Image

Difficulty settings, five is a bit too hard for most cars I've driven, but with the 914 I can take on bigger game!
Enlarge Image

Pride goeth before a fall:
Enlarge Image

The view from the cockpit:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those interested there is a pretty good Steam Guide, Beginners guide to tuning, that is coming along quite nicely. It's a work in progress but already has a lot of good information.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:04 pm
Reemul wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Hmm, are you running at Ultra or High? I had issues with the short time I used Ultra but the game is running fine on High.
I am running on High and using dlss. Performance is fine, just hit and miss on the buggy stuff