Birds in my birdbath, formerly "Need help on GoPro or equivalent camera"

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: Birds in my birdbath, formerly "Need help on GoPro or equivalent camera"

Post by jztemple2 »

Sorry that the video is a little blurry, but it rained heavily the night before and the lens was apparently still a bit wet. Still, getting a video of two mocking birds taking a bath together is too good to pass up.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

its neat that theres water everywhere and they choose your birdbath. Clean water is important I guess to birds as well. Id probably attract raccoons :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Slow Tuesday for the bluejays and the mockingbirds, but we did get a visit from blackbird(s). No bathing, just some nervous drinking.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:56 am Sadly we are too suburban for deer to come wandering by.
The suburbs here is where the deers are at. Some years ago, they had a special bow hunting season in the Cook County forest preserves because of extreme overcrowding. I've seen herds in excess of 15 head of venison.

And then there's Waterfall Glen, and their herd of freakish albino deer. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the radioactive waste from the Manhattan Project being buried there.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m in Cook county, suburbs just north of Chicago…. And yeah, we absolutely get dear walking through our neighborhood. Occasionally a coyote will be spotted too. My favorite was a wild turkey in our front yard. That one seemed the most exotic and hardest to fathom.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Compiled from two days of recording, but all our avian friends keep showing up when the bath is in shadow. I think they do it just to annoy me.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just a few visitors early on this past Sunday. Because of the bright sunlight and the bath being in the shadows, it is hard to tell but those are bluejays and a mockingbird.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unlike the previous day's video, today (Monday) it is mostly cloudy which makes the birds easier to see. And in spite of the forecast the birds are out in force this morning. They darn near emptied half the water out of the bird bath!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now you need a rooftop rain collector to gravity fill it when the level drops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Assuming that's not illegal there.

Edit: I didn't actually know such a thing existed. I'd definitely be interested if it ever rained around here. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I need to clean the bath every couple of days anyway so refilling it isn't an issue. And come summertime it will be refilling itself most every day.
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:26 pm Now you need a rooftop rain collector to gravity fill it when the level drops.
TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm Assuming that's not illegal there.

Edit: I didn't actually know such a thing existed. I'd definitely be interested if it ever rained around here. :D
My nephew in law actually uses runoff from his roof to refill an underground tank which he uses to water his lawn. So I'm guessing it's not illegal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With a cold front moving through it's been a quiet day at the birdbath, although the camera kept triggering because of trucks driving by. Finally a crow came by to get a little drink, then a friend of his flew past and they took off.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Last year a crow kept bringing roadkill and leaving it in our bird bath to soak. So gross! We ended up moving the bird bath closer to the house which seemed to discourage them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm Last year a crow kept bringing roadkill and leaving it in our bird bath to soak. So gross! We ended up moving the bird bath closer to the house which seemed to discourage them.
It likely had babies - they'll soak food in water to hydrate the babies.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's a cloudy day in Birdbath Town, but it's a Saturday so everybody, or almost everybody, needs their bath.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

This is making me impatient for things to warm up a bit more so I can get our bird bath back out. Though I also have to figure out if there is any way to repair it. I left it out in the cold and it turned into a sieve. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 pm It's a cloudy day in Birdbath Town, but it's a Saturday so everybody, or almost everybody, needs their bath.

snip
Some bathe in it some drink it. ew. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

No video today, but when my wife and I were driving along our favorite nature drive when heading back from physical therapy, we saw something pretty rare. Normally we occasionally see adult sandhill cranes, like this:
Enlarge Image

However, for the past several weeks there was hardly a sighting. I figured it was nesting season and apparently I'm right. Today we saw not only two adults, but also two immature baby birds, which looked like the one in this image:
Enlarge Image

Very cool :wub:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, not really at sunset, but close to it. Some bluejays go to town in the bath, while a mockingbird gets a little sip. Surprising how wet a bluejay can get.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I watched a bird in the bird bath today. She then splashed me with water and went and sat on the floor by the TV while I cleaned up the mess.

Thanks, Payton.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You need a squirrel proof feeder with some sunflower seed so you can get cardinals to visit too! :idea:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:06 am You need a squirrel proof feeder with some sunflower seed so you can get cardinals to visit too! :idea:
Haven't seen a cardinal in months in the neighborhood, I figure it might not be till summer when they come by again.

Meanwhile, it was a different sort of a day today at the birdbath. A crow drops off a piece of bread to soak, but doesn't count on the competition from a white ibis who is later joined by some friends. Eventually they all leave and a lone bluejay gets its time at the birdbath.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:35 pm No video today, but when my wife and I were driving along our favorite nature drive when heading back from physical therapy, we saw something pretty rare. Normally we occasionally see adult sandhill cranes, like this:
Enlarge Image
Very cool indeed.

On our trip to Fla last June, we saw a few of these guys walking around a rest stop (along I-4 IIRC). Didn't get a chance to take any photos, though.

I don't think we saw any of them during our trip, which included a few "real" birding sites.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:30 pm On our trip to Fla last June, we saw a few of these guys walking around a rest stop (along I-4 IIRC). Didn't get a chance to take any photos, though.

I don't think we saw any of them during our trip, which included a few "real" birding sites.
Sandhill Cranes aren't afraid of people and will hang around populated places which makes them vulnerable. The Florida sandhill crane is protected by the U.S. Migratory Bird Treaty Act and as a State-designated Threatened species by Florida's Endangered and Threatened Species Rule.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A collection of clips over a few days, mostly short ones, crows and bluejays. At the five minute mark a bluejay gets a real closeup!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The calendar might say it is late March, but the daytime temps are approaching ninety degrees! Bluejays and mockingbirds are stopping by for a drink and maybe a bath. From the same water :shock:. Oh well.

The temp shown on the video is the temp inside the camera case.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We have fighting crows at the start. Then crows and bluejays. And we also have a special guest appearance by a Red-bellied Woodpecker, who doesn't fight with anybody.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Going back to the original question in this thread...I want to record my morning walk. I'd like a camera that clips to the bill of my hat, or maybe my eyeglasses, to follow what I'm looking at. It needs to record for an hour and can use my smartphone via Bluetooth to do that, or use onboard storage that I can download. I don't need audio but would like resolution and color fidelity comparable to what jzt is getting at the birdbath.

I've been walking variations on the same route for 18 years now and I'm going to miss it when we move. I'd like to record several different versions of my route to play on a TV in front of a treadmill so that I can keep walking even if we live someplace without walkable streets. Bonus points if the camera is cheap, since I only intend to use it for this one purpose, or versatile enough to turn into a security camera or something.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nope, can't think of a camera like that myself.

And a new video. It's still early, but the bluejays are already fighting over who gets into the bath. And a bluejay decides to get really, really close to the camera. During some of the video you won't see the birds, but you'll hear them banging around in the gutter.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The woodpecker has returned for a brief cameo, then the bluejays are busy getting wet.

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:26 pm Going back to the original question in this thread...I want to record my morning walk. I'd like a camera that clips to the bill of my hat, or maybe my eyeglasses, to follow what I'm looking at. It needs to record for an hour and can use my smartphone via Bluetooth to do that, or use onboard storage that I can download. I don't need audio but would like resolution and color fidelity comparable to what jzt is getting at the birdbath.

I've been walking variations on the same route for 18 years now and I'm going to miss it when we move. I'd like to record several different versions of my route to play on a TV in front of a treadmill so that I can keep walking even if we live someplace without walkable streets. Bonus points if the camera is cheap, since I only intend to use it for this one purpose, or versatile enough to turn into a security camera or something.
A GoPro seems overkill. Have you considered something like this?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:04 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:26 pm Going back to the original question in this thread...I want to record my morning walk. I'd like a camera that clips to the bill of my hat, or maybe my eyeglasses, to follow what I'm looking at. It needs to record for an hour and can use my smartphone via Bluetooth to do that, or use onboard storage that I can download. I don't need audio but would like resolution and color fidelity comparable to what jzt is getting at the birdbath.

That might work. "supports 8GB to 512GB TF card(not included). When the cyclic video recording is turned on, the previous files will be automatically deleted and the video recording will continue after the memory card is full." So it records to a removable memory card, which I can then transfer to my PC...how? I don't understand how to download video from camera to computer.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:48 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:04 pm

That might work. "supports 8GB to 512GB TF card(not included). When the cyclic video recording is turned on, the previous files will be automatically deleted and the video recording will continue after the memory card is full." So it records to a removable memory card, which I can then transfer to my PC...how? I don't understand how to download video from camera to computer.
I'm guessing you'll need a TF card reader that plugs into your PC.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Looks like this may fit your bill, if you'll pardon the pun:

LIDCAM+ Plus LC-WF-BZ Hands Free Hat Mounted Digital Action Camera, 1080P HD Wi-Fi with Full Audio and 1X to 4X Zoom

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That one's more like I had in mind, but the reviews are mixed as to quality. Have to look into it a little more.

When they say 120-degree wide field view, as both of those products do, does that distort the edges? I don't want a fisheye effect.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's the beginning of April and we see visits by a couple of crows, a mockingbird and a bluejay, all enjoying the blazing sunshine.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is just a short video of several bluejays really enjoying their baths and wanting to get in some face time in front of the camera.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Are your Jays talkative? Mine spend more time squawking than they do eating. :D They seem to love to let everything else know that they are in the house.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Follow up question, do you have to hose down that walkway and railing a lot? Seems like you'd get lots of bird poo since they seem to like to hang out there.

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 am Are your Jays talkative? Mine spend more time squawking than they do eating. :D They seem to love to let everything else know that they are in the house.
They are pretty quiet, at least around the bath.
TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:52 am Follow up question, do you have to hose down that walkway and railing a lot? Seems like you'd get lots of bird poo since they seem to like to hang out there.
I have to clean the railing occasionally but it cleans easily. Same for the walkway, just an occasional wash down.