Oscars 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Oscars 2023

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:22 am We've got Everything, Everywhere, All at Once recorded
I'm curious what this means, specifically. Do you not have access to stream it now, but did at one time and have it recorded?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

DVR. Recorded it off of one the pay channels that I get for free because I'm an alpha tester for a TV product.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:20 am DVR. Recorded it off of one the pay channels that I get for free because I'm an alpha tester for a TV product.
Or maybe Jobu Tupaki brought it over for you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A little video from SAG of Jenna Ortega and Aubrey Plaza presenting...lol love both.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Highly entertaining show. It has nothing to do with everyone I wanted to win winning. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am
  • I hope that the Animated Short Film category makes the live broadcast, so that we can watch a Hollywood celebrity say "My Year of Dicks."
And that celebrity was Pedro Pascal.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, that had gone almost as expected. Pretty much a clean sweep. I felt really happy for Quan who I feel had the best speech of the Oscars this year.

There was that one actress, I forget her name, who had nearly tripped over her dress while walking on stage. And the whole Cocain Bear skit didn't really work for me. In fact, I felt most of Kimmel's jokes fell flat this year. Best performance I would give to Rihanna for her Black Panther song.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Cocaine Bear stuff was awesome. That was Elizabeth Banks who directed Cocaine Bear. I think Jimmy did a good job of just tossing out a joke here and there and not getting in the way. I give it a huge thumbs up. Generally I don't sit and watch all the way through. The music acts though. Oh god some were really bad.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm surprised how bad Lady Gaga sounded in that one number. Also was not a big fan of that 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' song, but it may just be how it came across on that stage. The mix on it seemed way off.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It was a good clean show by Oscar standards. Which is to say pretty safe and boring. However, it did have a more feel-good feel than most recent efforts. I felt like most of the winners truly deserved it and were very appreciative.

Best moments of the night for me were all Ke Huy Quan. His speech, his cheering when Harrison Ford came out to present Best Picture, and then Quan hugging Ford after Everything... won Best Picture. As a huge childhood fan of his, it was just so heartwarming.

I was also immensely pleased with Brendan Fraser's win, though Austin Butler probably deserved it more. I didn't care too much for the movie Elvis, but he did a hell of a job. Fraser's speech was a soggy mess, but the guy was overcome with emotion.

I was also extraordinarily happy for Jamie Lee Curtis' win. And her shouting out genre fans is why horror fans love her. She's never forgotten her roots.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I had a similar reaction to the Oscars. It wasn't hard to guess who'd win but it was a year where the winners were clearly ahead - except for Best Actor where it was more of a horse race. IMO Best Actor should have gone to Ke Huy Quan but his camp wisely decided to push him as Supporting Actor and it is hard to argue with success! :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So happy for Brendan.
She's never forgotten her roots.
Or her carpet and drapes :P
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One thing I didn't like was the Disney Little Mermaid preview. I mean, I don't mind the movie itself, but it's the whole principle behind Disney using the Oscars to promote that I find off. It's not like Disney needs help in any case. It feels more like Disney being Disney by throwing their weight into the Oscars, but the end result feels like the Academy might hold a bias. It should be a celebration for current award nominees, not future movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:36 pm One thing I didn't like was the Disney Little Mermaid preview. I mean, I don't mind the movie itself, but it's the whole principle behind Disney using the Oscars to promote that I find off. It's not like Disney needs help in any case. It feels more like Disney being Disney by throwing their weight into the Oscars, but the end result feels like the Academy might hold a bias. It should be a celebration for current award nominees, not future movies.
Aired on ABC. Parent organization: The Walt Disney Company.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, see I missed that part as we were viewing it on a local network, so context was lost.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 pm Oh, see I missed that part as we were viewing it on a local network, so context was lost.
I figured things were different in Canuckistan.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

That ad felt totally out of place.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:21 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 pm Oh, see I missed that part as we were viewing it on a local network, so context was lost.
I figured things were different in Canuckistan.
Not that different. It's that the network is an affiliate but also airs many other things from everywhere else, so the fact that it aired on a DIsney network isn't the first thing that came to mind. I still maintain that it it made the Academy look biased toward Disney.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The whole show felt like a commercial for movies/Hollywood/The Academy. Which, I get it - it certainly makes sense to use this huge stage to promote yourself. But it did come off a bit cringey at times. A roomful of multi-millionaires want more of my money. Yay?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A commercial for Hollywood? But the BBC said it was...

Oscars 2023: 'A slap in the face for Hollywood'
Spoiler:
The absence of so many of Hollywood's biggest names, Tom Cruise and James Cameron among them, hinted that the US film industry's certainties are crumbling. The major, historic studios had to content themselves with a sound design award for Top Gun: Maverick, a visual effects award for Avatar: The Way of Water, and a costume design award for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. It was an independent studio, A24, that was behind Everything Everywhere All at Once, a heady science-fiction martial-arts comedy that wouldn't even have been nominated for an Oscar a decade ago. A24 was also behind The Whale. The evening's other big winner, All Quiet on the Western Front, was a German production that was funded by Netflix, and that same streaming service bankrolled the winner of the animated feature Oscar, Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. The whole evening could be read as Hollywood's confession that it doesn't make the best films any more – or, at least, the kind of films that win Oscars. So maybe Kimmel was wrong to joke that the telecast had passed without incident. It was a smooth, happy affair, but it was a slap in the face for Hollywood.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Has this dude ever actually *watched* the Oscars (or at least looked at the prior winners' list) before writing this article?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's like a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario. The ethnic and foreign movie representation this year was amazing and way long overdue, yet for some reason some seem to see that as a threat to Hollywood. It just can't win in those eyes. And that's a narrowminded view.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Creative and different shows won awards and this is supposed to be a bad thing? Aside from the pandering commercials I thought it was fantastic to see all the usual underdogs come out ahead.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean, there are two things I think of when I think of Hollywood. There's the LA suburb,, and the Hollywood mythos of moviemaking that grew out of it, a philosophy that is shared and celebrated internationally. To have someone say that Hollywood failed because more international movies won this year as opposed to American movies, is a failure in understanding movies and their impact, period.

And if anything, this year was a year full of originality and hardly a sequel in sight. I think there were only 3 sequels nominated: Top Gun Maverick, Puss & Boots, and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. We lament sequels like it's a pastime,, and yet in a year full of originality, it's somehow a bad thing? I really don't understand people sometimes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The other thing that completely baffles me about that article is that the writer is implying that success only equates to awards your films won. You think Hollywood cares that Top Gun: Maverick only took home one award when it generated 719 MILLION dollars? Wakanda Forever, Dr. Strange 2, and Avatar brought in 2 BILLION dollars?

Hollywood is failing because despite generating massive box office revenue, its wide-appeal commercial films that traditionally never win Oscars... didn't win Oscars? I don't understand the article.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah it's a fairly silly argument. The Oscars have had a clear split for years. Best Picture is a showcase award that tends to go to borderline to mainstream art house movies. The technical categories go to mainstream or "genre" films. Etc. This reads like it comes from someone who totally doesn't understand the industry.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Finally watched Everything everywhere all at once, it’s really good. The beginning totally was stressing me out which I mean was the point I guess. I’m kind of glad I watched it after the show since as much as I love JLC I think Stephanie Hsu’s performance overshadowed hers and not by a small amount. I’m perfectly fine with the fact that history of who she is also impacts how they decided, so shrug.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once this week as well, and while I liked it, it didn't really blow me out of the water. I could have been a victim of overhype, or maybe just burnout on hearing about it.

But I'm glad others really enjoyed it and I'm super happy that it brought attention to Asian actors and an Asian-American director. Plus it earned two of my favorites, Ke Huy Quan and JLC Oscars so who can argue with that?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That ending is what sticks with me. It's just such a thoughtful look at what makes a family, before it evolves into multiple interpretations. All of them right.
Spoiler:
also, butt plugs
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I had held out a small hope for underdog Banshees of Inisherin, which I thought was quite good. Farrell and Gleeson have amazing chemistry together, as In Bruges demonstrated.

I thought everything everywhere was good and fun, but I'm not sure it was oscar worthy. I get the same vibe from it that I get from the original Total Recall. Better acted? Sure. It's still a silly movie with hotdogs for fingers.
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 am But I'm glad others really enjoyed it and I'm super happy that it brought attention to Asian actors and an Asian-American director. Plus it earned two of my favorites, Ke Huy Quan and JLC Oscars so who can argue with that?
I agree with this. Sometimes it's just "time", and the award is given because it's the right thing to do, not because this particular work is especially worthwhile.

How many actors have won awards for lesser works but missed out on some of their greatest performances ever?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 am The other thing that completely baffles me about that article is that the writer is implying that success only equates to awards your films won. You think Hollywood cares that Top Gun: Maverick only took home one award when it generated 719 MILLION dollars? Wakanda Forever, Dr. Strange 2, and Avatar brought in 2 BILLION dollars?

Hollywood is failing because despite generating massive box office revenue, its wide-appeal commercial films that traditionally never win Oscars... didn't win Oscars? I don't understand the article.
Yeah, I don't really understand the point it was trying to make either. It reads like someone is woefully out of touch.
malchior wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am This reads like it comes from someone who totally doesn't understand the industry.
More like someone who just discovered Hollywood yesterday. My guess is someone was given an assignment and that someone turned out to be fully out of their depths. The result is an article that comes across tone-deaf. It feels borderline racist, and that is the real slap in the face. And let's not forget, this year, Hollywood felt like a real comeback since Covid. You definitely felt that vibe from the Oscars. The fact that most of the wins were independent films with ethnic minorities? That's the real cherry on top.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 am Plus it earned two of my favorites, Ke Huy Quan and JLC Oscars so who can argue with that?
I can. :D

Jamie Lee Curtis did not deserve that Oscar. I love Jamie Lee Curtis. I think she was very good in this film. But she was absolutely nowhere near the brilliance that was Stephanie Hsu. That was a stellar performance.

And even if Stephanie Hsu hadn't been nominated, Angela Bassett was still better than JLC in this.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I get it. Honestly I think Barry Keoghan can act circles around Ke Huy Quan, but in the end there are all kinds of external factors that play into the votes besides the actual caliber of acting. We all know how momentum goes with these things.

Ultimately, however, I've been watching JLC since the original Halloween, and I don't give two shits about Angela Bassett. :lol: :lol: :lol: Her acting all pissy-faced when JLC won didn't endear me to her any either.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Oscars this year only meant Brendan Fraser to me . Im glad he got the nod. His acting over the years has always been top fun entertainment and he is a good guy. He should have recognition for School Ties even years ago.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

You didn't like Short Round from temple of Doom getting an Oscar?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:56 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 am Plus it earned two of my favorites, Ke Huy Quan and JLC Oscars so who can argue with that?

Jamie Lee Curtis did not deserve that Oscar. I love Jamie Lee Curtis. I think she was very good in this film. But she was absolutely nowhere near the brilliance that was Stephanie Hsu. That was a stellar performance.

And even if Stephanie Hsu hadn't been nominated, Angela Bassett was still better than JLC in this.
I think for Curtis, it's politics more than anything. They were playing catchup with her long career, given that incredibly enough this was her first and only Oscar win. Many have been saying this would have been her last shot. So, it's more about the timing rather than any role in particular.

But yes, I would have preferred Angela Bassett would have won for that particular award.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s all about the movie you’re in. The Oscars rewarded Jamie Lee Curtis for finally being great in a non-mainstream movie. Angela Basset wasn’t going to win in a Marvel movie.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:29 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:56 pm

I think for Curtis, it's politics more than anything. They were playing catchup with her long career, given that incredibly enough this was her first and only Oscar win. Many have been saying this would have been her last shot. So, it's more about the timing rather than any role in particular.

But yes, I would have preferred Angela Bassett would have won for that particular award.
It was also her first and only Oscar nomination.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, which I did mention, in the very post you just quoted.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti