No votes
IDK but it looks delicious
9%

Total votes: 54

Kraken

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:02 am My mom had a recipe called "Teenager's Delight." I remember it featured ground beef topped with tater tots, but not what else was in it. Maybe cheese. Probably nothing healthy. I think it was a casserole (baked), unlike slumgullion/chili mac which is a skillet dish.
Sounds like hotdish (which I only know about because I have a friend who loathes it).
That might be it. Cream of mushroom soup went into everything in the '60s.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My father in law made this and called it goulash. Was great. I should make some this next month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:09 am
The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 am
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 am Sounds like hotdish (which I only know about because I have a friend who loathes it).
:cry:
I'm pretty sure it's one of those growing-up-poor and this-reminds-me-of-growing-up-poor things.
I feel the same way about powdered milk.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Way back in my poor days I could tolerate powdered milk mixed 50/50 with the real thing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

We grew up calling it Goop and loved it.

Hamburger, macaroni, garlic salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There were some powdered milk days when I was a tyke, but they ended before I knew what or why it was a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Powdered milk has a place in my pantry for baking, fortifying the odd smoothie and as coffee whitener if I'm short on milk/cream.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had not had powdered milk until I started visiting the food bank after my wife had passed. I found the first couple of jugs really good. Not normal milk good but different good. But the last one I had a few months ago I couldn't finish. Im not sure if it was a different brand which it probably was or something else.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've seen it called "American Goulash" or even Beefaroni, but most places would call that a casserole.

Apparently it's also called a Johnny Marzetti.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Chili Mac
It's settled.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:21 pm I feel the same way about powdered milk.
I remember powdered milk when I was very young. Then one day without explanation it was never a thing again, also while I was very young. I also vaguely remember food stamps, which I'm guessing stopped being a thing at the same time powdered milk not being a household beverage. We were never poor that I remember but we were definitely a family of 7 in the blue collar automotive sector; and farming and canning and raising egg chickens and recycling and repurposing and home handicraft were every day life. Very little was ever thrown away and long distance phone calls were never allowed except for emergencies and we might eat at a family restaurant a couple of times a year. I don't have growing up poor "I hate this memories" but rather remember being fortunate enough to have a yard with a garden and having fond memories of picking food of the vine to eat. And am also fortunate that frugal habits eventually got us an Atari 800 and later 486DX. These two toys are the reasons I, myself had a career.

Edit: Never mind. I hated and still do hate the smell of canning and preserving vegetables. Fruits and preserves smelled awesome but veggies, blech.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 pm I've seen it called "American Goulash" or even Beefaroni...

Apparently it's also called a Johnny Marzetti.
That's the word I was trying to remember.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Re: [Food] What do you call this?

Post by Madmarcus »

Yeah, I'd forgotten beefaroni but that would certainly be beefaroni!

Oddly I don't associate powdered milk with being poor. My wife used some earlier today to thicken the sauce in a homemade chicken pot pie. I think of it as a pantry staple for just that type of thing. I'd never drink it though!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m amused that it’s taken two pages for someone to mention the name of the dish that shares the name of a prominent OO’er. :D

In my household in the 70’s/80’s, this would have been called Hamburger Helper.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My mom made something similar, she just called it macaroni. It was far worse than any other pasta she made, so it was the stuff of nightmares.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 am I’m amused that it’s taken two pages for someone to mention the name of the dish that shares the name of a prominent OO’er. :D
The Meal?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:42 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 am I’m amused that it’s taken two pages for someone to mention the name of the dish that shares the name of a prominent OO’er. :D
The Meal?
:lol:

Slumgullion is more than a snack, for sure.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

8-)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My mom had another variation on this called Hamburger Chinese with ground burger, chopped celery, rotini noodles and cream of celery soup. Water chestnuts if we got extra fancy.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We called this goulash growing up (Chicago suburbs). It wasn't until I was in college or maybe law school that I learned what real (i.e., Hungarian) goulash is. I stumbled across a recipe for this recently and it rekindled my interest, so I made it for me and the twins. They loved it, but my wife will not permit me to call it goulash so we have compromised with American goulash (with an accompanying eye roll from my wife). It is very similar to Chef Boyardee Beefaroni. I often make it with ground turkey instead of beef to lower our beef consumption, and it's pretty much just as good.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Wonder how it'd taste with "not beef" (those beef substitutes)?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We've used Gardein beefy crumbles in things in the past, and they're perfectly non-objectionable. I haven't tried it in this yet because I'd also need to sub out for gluten-free noodles (easy) and vegan cheese (problematic) .
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:15 am Wonder how it'd taste with "not beef" (those beef substitutes)?
Wife is nominally a vegetarian who just gave her blessing to Beyond and Impossible burger within the past year. I like Beyond Meat better and have used it to revive many old dishes, such as chili, that I hadn't made in ages. It works just fine when it's an ingredient, rather than front-and-center -- you wouldn't want to make a meat loaf out of it, for example, but it's OK as a burger patty and works great in stews and casseroles. It doesn't *quite* taste like real ground beef, but the texture is right and I've come to like the flavor. And it's been on sale lately. Still costs more than ground beef but not outrageously so.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We usually have to cook 3 different meals at mealtime. Vegetarian for the wife, kids meal for the 6-YO and a mostly normal meal for the 12-YO. I'll usually eat with the wife or 12YO. This weekend I said that we were going to make one meal most of time from now on.

Seeing this thread, it's clear that sort of casserole is a good idea. That hotdish stuff from page one is interesting. I vaguely remember having that at freinds' houses growing up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You're sure it's NOT from your handle? ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:25 pm You're sure it's NOT from your handle? ;)
:wink:
Oh, no. Chef Boyardee is a distinct and sperate comfort.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This thread enticed me to make goulash next week. Thanks to my neighbor I have 8 lbs of ground beef so I just bought the other ingredients I didn't already own..basically italian spice, diced tomatoes, and minced garlic. I meant to get the extra large elbow noodles but forgot. Ill either do that before next week or just use the little pasta from this awful mac & cheese boxes the food bank gives me. I just dont know what Ill do wit hall the powdered cheese packets afterwards.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:04 pm This thread enticed me to make goulash next week. Thanks to my neighbor I have 8 lbs of ground beef so I just bought the other ingredients I didn't already own..basically italian spice, diced tomatoes, and minced garlic. I meant to get the extra large elbow noodles but forgot. Ill either do that before next week or just use the little pasta from this awful mac & cheese boxes the food bank gives me. I just dont know what Ill do wit hall the powdered cheese packets afterwards.
Add it to the goulash. The version I make has a bunch of shredded cheddar in it, so I think the flavor would work.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:04 pm I just dont know what Ill do wit hall the powdered cheese packets afterwards.
Enlarge Image

Seriously though, maybe popcorn? Or baked potatoes.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hamburger Helper
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its really really crappy cheese powder. The mac and cheese it comes from is awful to not good. Ive been given many brands and not one has been good or really eatable. I mean now days I dont even like kraft or velveeta and such.

The only good mac & cheese Ive had i na couple years is a frozen dinner one...I cant recall the brand though...I think it was Stouffers.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I would maybe not use the macaroni either.
Don’t let that ruin your work.

Keep that mac with that cheese , and use them some other day.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This came up in my FB feed today

Enlarge Image

Kraft Dinner? Sudy, was this you?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've seen a variation made with hot dog wieners cut into slices.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 am We usually have to cook 3 different meals at mealtime. Vegetarian for the wife, kids meal for the 6-YO and a mostly normal meal for the 12-YO. I'll usually eat with the wife or 12YO. This weekend I said that we were going to make one meal most of time from now on.
Our 13yo still often gets his own meal, apart from what everyone else is eating. His brain seems to reject pretty much any sauce or condiment. No allergy or anything, just a strong distaste.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Looks like Chili Mac to me. My ex used to call is Goop and it had onions too. My mom would have called it Goulash, but that would have had both onions and bell peppers in it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yesterday I had Hamburger Helper Chilli Mac and a Polish sausage. Don't ever do that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 am We usually have to cook 3 different meals at mealtime. Vegetarian for the wife, kids meal for the 6-YO and a mostly normal meal for the 12-YO. I'll usually eat with the wife or 12YO. This weekend I said that we were going to make one meal most of time from now on.
Our 13yo still often gets his own meal, apart from what everyone else is eating. His brain seems to reject pretty much any sauce or condiment. No allergy or anything, just a strong distaste.
I was like that when I was 12. Not even ketchup on fries or gravy on potatoes. I also tended to keep my foods from intermingling. (To this day I tend to eat one item from the plate completely before moving to the next item unless I am mixing foods together, especially if a food gets worse the longer it sits, like fries) Then I discovered ranch and the whole world changed or possibly that was around the time my palette changed, maybe at 14. Finally, I started eating salads with something on them rather than dry way I had been reluctantly eating them for my entire life. Once I accepted ranch, all the dominoes fell and I started mixing foods and eating things like a French Dip and condiments became a standard.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm Yesterday I had Hamburger Helper Chilli Mac and a Polish sausage. Don't ever do that.
I only use polish sausage with kraut. Fry it up and mm mmm.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:27 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm Yesterday I had Hamburger Helper Chilli Mac and a Polish sausage. Don't ever do that.
I only use polish sausage with kraut. Fry it up and mm mmm.
Add whole-grain mustard and I'm in.

One of our local breakfast joints makes a kielbasa omelet that's to die for.