2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Alefroth »

Are we doing 15 tonight?

edit: Motion to adjourn until Monday
Last edited by Alefroth on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:18 am Are we doing 15 tonight?
Who knows? They might not have the votes to adjourn.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Not sure who would vote against adjourning.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:21 am Not sure who would vote against adjourning.
I believe the other day it was a bunch of Dems with NO votes, I assume trying to force as much exposure and air time as they could to the Reps family issues.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:24 am All of the Democrats.
Yes. Plus potentially the holdouts if they want to continue to humiliate McCarthy and put pressure on him to throw in the towel. Also, GOP members may think another vote might give folks a chance to work over Gaetz/Boebert. They just need one to swap to a McCarthy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very Serious People.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who's the guy in the bowtie?
malchior

Post by malchior »

It looks like they're going for 15. They must have offered Gaetz something extra juicy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am Who's the guy in the bowtie?
McHenry
Last edited by malchior on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

McCarthy is saying to switch their votes to no, so he may (once again) feel he has the votes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am McCarthy is saying to switch their votes to no, so he may (once again) feels he has the votes.
This is ridiculous. Not only is this ridiculous but Gaetz literally gave a speech about how he was disgusted by all the secret deals over and over.
Special shoutout to DOJ for letting this sex trafficker run around being an agent of chaos.

Elie and I on the same page here. (A now rare for me Twitter mention but couldn't resist this one).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am It looks like they're going for 15. They must have offered Gaetz something extra juicy.
Like, everything?

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

#itshappening
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, so now it looks like he’s gonna get it on the 15th vote, right? Seems like it’s a done deal at this point. Still, what a hollow victory for McCarthy and an abject defeat for the nation.
Last edited by Kurth on Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:05 am Ok, so o now it looks like he’s gonna get it on the 15th vote, right? Seems like it’s a done deal at this point. Still, what a hollow victory for McCarthy and an abject defeat for the nation.
Seriously. He is going to be one of the few elected without a majority of the House. He is going to be hobbled and his caucus is going to be smashing glass for the next 2 years.

Edit: Some of the reporting I just heard on MSNBC is that one of the giveaways is a committee to investigate the deep state. FFS - the 1/6 committee is going to be replaced with an insurrection committee.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:44 am
malchior wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 am It looks like they're going for 15. They must have offered Gaetz something extra juicy.
Like, everything?

So, now Hannity is yucking it up with Gaetz and Bobafett about the successful extortion they just pulled off to neuter the GOP Speaker and make the House even more dysfunctional than it was previously?

Wasn’t he throwing fire at Boba just the other day calling her a lib for refusing to answer his question about why she and the other holdouts shouldn’t yield in the face of the overwhelming numbers in McCarthy’s favor?

I’ll never understand how these people are allowed to change their views and their stupid hot takes on a dime.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The crazy thing is that those of us who watched this intently learned that Gaetz apparently has some real savvy. He played this whole process out perfectly. The C-SPAN off the cuff camera coverage showed some surprising moments. For example, I saw Crenshaw yucking it up with Gaetz after the 14th vote. Crenshaw was on tv calling them arsonists and idiots. It's all bullshit. When they go on Hannity or news shows it's often all an act. No one should trust them or the bullshit that comes out of their mouths but unfortunately there are a lot of morons who buys into this garbage.
naednek

Post by naednek »

HahImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our long national nightmare is just beginning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Long live Speaker Kevin! May he reign for months and months.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Smoove_B wrote:What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the information about how the threshold to call for the elimination of the current Speaker was lowered to a single person in the majority party is real. Meaning at any point one GOP clown can stand up and call for a motion to vacate McCarthy and start this whole circus over again. On what planet would McCarthy agree to that as a concession?
Apparently the 1 vote for no confidence in the Speaker was the rule for years, and custom and money kept party members in line. To call the vote alone would be committing political suicide.

The never-Kevins main concession was to turn off the GOP party funds to their primary challengers. These are the people who nearly lost the GOP House “Red Wave.” They know they’re vulnerable, they’re posing for the camera and social media, and Kevin McCarthy can’t keep them in check. And they want him to know it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Too bad you didn't get this guy as the speaker:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:37 am Special shoutout to DOJ for letting this sex trafficker run around being an agent of chaos.
That was my first thought when I opened this thread this morning.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:35 am The crazy thing is that those of us who watched this intently learned that Gaetz apparently has some real savvy. He played this whole process out perfectly. The C-SPAN off the cuff camera coverage showed some surprising moments. For example, I saw Crenshaw yucking it up with Gaetz after the 14th vote. Crenshaw was on tv calling them arsonists and idiots. It's all bullshit. When they go on Hannity or news shows it's often all an act. No one should trust them or the bullshit that comes out of their mouths but unfortunately there are a lot of morons who buys into this garbage.
Yeah, it’s been mentioned here a few times, and maybe it was Jon Stewart (?) who said it years ago- many of these seemingly ‘extreme assholes’ on camera are nothing like that and you can easily have an enjoyable beer with them, agree on things, etc in a private setting. Many are likeable, reasonable people ‘off line’. Which to me makes it much worse than if they were legit showing their true colors when behaving like asshats.

It’s show, for show’s sake, and/or just has to be in the spotlight, no matter what behavior is required to grab it. Add in a bit of real chaos lovin’ and Bob’s yer uncle…
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Am I alone in thinking Gaetz looks like one of those lying cheating tv preachers? I mean thats a simple job change away.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:40 am Am I alone in thinking Gaetz looks like one of those lying cheating tv preachers? I mean thats a simple job change away.
To me he looks like the popular 90s caricature of the stereotype of a fratboy turned popular snakeoil salesman. The exceptionally comical plastic "trustme" gameshow host look.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 am a fratboy turned popular snakeoil salesman.
On an unrelated note, he's actually a frat boy turned popular snake oil salesman.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:18 am
LordMortis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 am a fratboy turned popular snakeoil salesman.
On an unrelated note, he's actually a frat boy turned popular snake oil salesman.
:clap:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:01 am
Smoove_B wrote:What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the information about how the threshold to call for the elimination of the current Speaker was lowered to a single person in the majority party is real. Meaning at any point one GOP clown can stand up and call for a motion to vacate McCarthy and start this whole circus over again. On what planet would McCarthy agree to that as a concession?
Apparently the 1 vote for no confidence in the Speaker was the rule for years, and custom and money kept party members in line. To call the vote alone would be committing political suicide.

The never-Kevins main concession was to turn off the GOP party funds to their primary challengers. These are the people who nearly lost the GOP House “Red Wave.” They know they’re vulnerable, they’re posing for the camera and social media, and Kevin McCarthy can’t keep them in check. And they want him to know it.
So if a MAGAt challenges a non-MAGAt (granted a rare breed) incumbent they get no funding?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:46 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:18 am
:clap:
Is he actually popular?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When you accidentally speak the truth. :lol:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote:When you accidentally speak the truth. Image

Grrr. Wish I can just use Twitter without having an account lol.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:00 pm Grrr. Wish I can just use Twitter without having an account lol.
Felt the same about FB for a long time. So I set up a burner account under a pseudonym and just use it for hobby related actives. Perhaps consider that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:08 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:00 pm Grrr. Wish I can just use Twitter without having an account lol.
Felt the same about FB for a long time. So I set up a burner account under a pseudonym and just use it for hobby related actives. Perhaps consider that.
My issue is, I don't want to support Elon.

On my phone the video wasn't embedded. on the PC it is so YAY!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:40 am Am I alone in thinking Gaetz looks like one of those lying cheating tv preachers? I mean thats a simple job change away.
To me he looks like the popular 90s caricature of the stereotype of a fratboy turned popular snakeoil salesman. The exceptionally comical plastic "trustme" gameshow host look.
There's only one answer for who Gaetz looks like:

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With apologies to non Twitter readers, a preview into the upcoming season of the 118th:

There are some eye-opening provisions in the text of the GOP’s proposed “select subcommittee on the weaponization of the federal government” that will get a vote next week.

One explicitly authorizes the review of “ongoing criminal investigations.”

Another gives the panel authority to access any classified/national security information that would go to the House Intelligence Committee.

A proposed GOP select committee — negotiated as part of a deal between McCarthy and his GOP detractors — would be explicitly empowered to probe “ongoing criminal investigations.” Under the proposal, Judiciary chairman Jim Jordan — not the chair of the select subcommittee — would be the one with the power to authorize subpoenas for the panel.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The MAGAT incumbent gremlins protected themselves. No funds for primary challengers against them. No idea about any side deals.

Part of the rule changes are to pass budgets and laws in regular committees where the MAGAT incumbents will have more power, rather than party leadership-led omnibus deals. It allows for greater chaos by the gremlins and reduces McCarthy’s power.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:35 pm The MAGAT incumbent gremlins protected themselves. No funds for primary challengers against them. No idea about any side deals.
Swamp indeed. Draining it right in to their personal wading pools.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It may have been posted here, but I recently saw that that particular part about the "ongoing investigations" is directly related to the arsonists who are under scrutiny for their Jan 6 actions ("tours", access, communications, etc). No fun to be a chaos monkey sitting in federal pen!

I would not be surprised if that was THE Big Thing they were holding out for. They absolutely want to throw grenades at the govt, but absolutely do not want to go to jail for chunking said grenades at the govt. Now they won't have to worry about that.