Can You Convert Display Port on PC to DVI Monitor?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Can You Convert Display Port on PC to DVI Monitor?

Post by Sudy »

My 5-year-old hulk of a video card has one DVI port and four display port... ports. For many years I've run my widescreen monitor to DP, and a secondary 4:3 monitor to DVI. Well, my widescreen monitor broke, and the replacement only has DVI and VGA ports. The 15-year-old still-working but ancient Dell 4:3 obviously does not have a DP port.

So... can I use an adapter to convert my PC's DP signal to the 4:3 monitor's DVI connection? The Amazon products I've linked look like they may work, but most of these adapters seem designed to do the inverse. Will the picture quality be garbage? I've done a few web searches but it isn't 100% clear to me, so I wanted to ask some humans. If these adapters work, I could actually try plugging in a second 4:3 monitor to have three displays if my video card supports it. Thanks in advance.

Amazon links:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Re: Can You Convert Display Port on PC to DVI Monitor?

Post by Daehawk »

To my dumb and buzzed eye it looks fine. It would be what I ordered.

Just make sure its the right DVI connector.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

It will work, but those cables seem to be specced for only HD resolution so you should probably look for some that meet the DisplayPort 2.0 standard so you don't run into bandwidth issues.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've done it at my old work going both ways with adapters. I never had to buy one though. I had a few laying around that came with video cards and I was pack rat and saved all the things. I wonder if my replacement does as well.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Chraolic wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:34 pm It will work, but those cables seem to be specced for only HD resolution so you should probably look for some that meet the DisplayPort 2.0 standard so you don't run into bandwidth issues.
Do I need DP 2.0 if the maximum resolution of the 4:3 monitor(s) is 1280 x 1024?

Thanks guys!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:35 pm
Chraolic wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:34 pm It will work, but those cables seem to be specced for only HD resolution so you should probably look for some that meet the DisplayPort 2.0 standard so you don't run into bandwidth issues.
Do I need DP 2.0 if the maximum resolution of the 4:3 monitor(s) is 1280 x 1024?

Thanks guys!
Oh, I misread, I thought it was the replacement monitor that had a DVI port. 1280 should not be a problem on a lower bandwidth specification, it's about half the pixel count of 1080p.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks yeah, the replacement widescreen monitor is using DVI also, but that's OK because the GPU has a single DVI port.

Thanks again!

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just saw this - my son's PC was running with DVI ever since on it was built (cheap ASRock mobo with integrated Ryzen graphics, and the only video port on this mobo was DVI). got him a Radeon RX 6600 for a combination xmas/graduation present and it turns out his monitor also only has DVI (and VGA) - and the new video card of course only has DisplayPort and HDMI, so i told him to get a DP to DVI cable. and he goes ahead and purchases one with a DP MINI connector...

i've used many of these cables with different digital connectors on each side (DVI, DP/DP Mini, HDMI) and have not yet had a problem.