Winter 2022-23 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by Octavious »

31! It is going from 50 to 5 here. I mean I'll just not go outside. Assuming there's power.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Still five degrees short of having any degrees. And that isn't counting the wind (currently - 26.)
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

According to the local power outage tracking map, I'm literally a stone's throw from the nearest major outage, just up the street to the north, and there are a lot of significant outages just to the west and south as well. Even I do lose power before the storm is finished with us, I should be in pretty good shape to wait it out.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

8 degrees here. I was just sitting here at the PC worrying what happens if I lose power?? Got a little old dog and just got water back too..no pump = frozen pipes and bursting. Then BAM off went power. Was off 15 min. 15 scary min. And theres no storm here. Its bright and sunny. No snow or anything. Either a tree froze and fell or theres too much strain on the system.

Have some kero in the heater so that would help plus have the car gassed up and could sit in it with the little guy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just run the water out of the pipes and it won't freeze as well there is no water... Just make sure your water heater isn't empty when the power goes on. Some units will fry their elements if there's no water in it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:41 pm Just run the water out of the pipes and it won't freeze as well there is no water... Just make sure your water heater isn't empty when the power goes on. Some units will fry their elements if there's no water in it.
After losing 2 water heaters within 4 years time Im VERY careful with this one. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm 8 degrees here. I was just sitting here at the PC worrying what happens if I lose power?? Got a little old dog and just got water back too..no pump = frozen pipes and bursting. Then BAM off went power. Was off 15 min. 15 scary min. And theres no storm here. Its bright and sunny. No snow or anything. Either a tree froze and fell or theres too much strain on the system.

Have some kero in the heater so that would help plus have the car gassed up and could sit in it with the little guy.
Lost power for 45 minutes yesterday. That's why the house temp dropped ten degrees and won't get up until the outside temp goes up. It would have dropped last night anyways just 12 hours later.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Meal wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:32 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:51 am Off-topic, but Wikipedia says there was no 2005 Stanley Cup Champion. I'm confused :?
There was no 2004-05 NHL season due to a season long lockout, so no 2005 Stanley Cup Champion.
/flicks wrists down towards the ice and gloves go skittering
:wub:
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We must have the last warm air mass in the country; it's 55 degrees here, wet and windy. They say the temp will drop 30+ degrees around 8 pm.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:50 pm We must have the last warm air mass in the country; it's 55 degrees here, wet and windy. They say the temp will drop 30+ degrees around 8 pm.
That's how my day started -- currently it's 24 degrees and dropping. The snow that had been falling a few hours ago is now iced over. It's crazy how quick the temperatures dropped.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Walked to the grocery store with the oldest around 9am this morning. -6 with a wind-chill around -20. We picked up a refrigerated pizza, it was almost frozen by the time we got back. We were reacquainted with the secondary upside to masking - no frozen snot.

Meeting some friends out for a few drinks later if we can find a place that isn't crowded. Not sure if everything will be empty or packed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Crazy... -2 here (Chicago) today, and one week from now they say we will hit 48.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its cold in my house. Im cold. I have 5 space heaters running and its cold. My hands are numb'ish. This old has leaks air and the wind is blowing hard so air..cold air..is moving inere. Im wearing my hoodie. My dog is staying on the electric blanket. I have a heating pad under my mouse pad. But Im COLD. Frak. Hate winter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:53 pm Crazy... -2 here (Chicago) today, and one week from now they say we will hit 48.

Bears/Bills tickets for tomorrow are going for under $10.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... bills-game
The Bears will help fans try to stay warm by offering hot chocolate and coffee throughout the stadium and via in-seat vendors. In addition, there will be warming stations for fans at the Gate 31 Plaza behind section 146, and on the service level down the southwest tunnel by the Dr. Pepper Patio. The team is also permitting battery-operated clothing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After a high of 13 it's going down again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:57 am It's windy AF here (51km/h, gusting to a nice 69 km/h) but the temperature is hovering at 0C with no appreciable wind chill.
How do you have winds that significant with no wind chill?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I should move to the moon. Less air for storms.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:32 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:51 am Off-topic, but Wikipedia says there was no 2005 Stanley Cup Champion. I'm confused :?
There was no 2004-05 NHL season due to a season long lockout, so no 2005 Stanley Cup Champion.
/flicks wrists down towards the ice and gloves go skittering
:pop:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gbasden wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:48 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:57 am It's windy AF here (51km/h, gusting to a nice 69 km/h) but the temperature is hovering at 0C with no appreciable wind chill.
How do you have winds that significant with no wind chill?
Wind chill isn't a factor, at least in the sense that Environment Canada uses the term, until the actual temperature reaches 0C or lower. In forecasts where the actual temperature is above 0C they put a * as a placeholder instead of giving a numerical value. At the time that I typed that, the local condition was being reported as 0C but they didn't report a windchill, so I'd guess that it was actually slightly above freezing and rounded to 0C and therefore the windchill wasn't being reported.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They love wind chills so much around here they even give them in the summer.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I usually go to bed around midnight after the news and such for the last few years. But Im cold...like chilled to the bone type cold through and through. Its barely after 8:30 but the bed is warm and comfy and I think I may just turn in as Ive nothing to do anyways. Maybe I can get warm again and start over tomorrow. But doubt I can sleep.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's down to 25 here now, which isn't THAT cold, but the wind is still cranking and we're going to lose 10 more degrees by morning. The boiler is going nonstop and my gas bill is going to be insane next month.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I own comforters, haven't used them in years because wife insists the house stay hotter in the winter than she tolerates in the summer. I've not needed more than a thin bed sheet in years, and in the before times, I would keep my window open until temps went below freezing.

Today temps got up to 1. But the winds were blowing up to 50 mph, so wind chills were in the -35/-40 range. Yesterday, when there was driving snow, I got a lot more tips driving people than I did today when it was merely cold. I made the mistake of accepting a ride to drive a family to Milwaukee...when Uber then tried to send me 20 miles out of my way for a $5 ride, I had to shut off the app for 90 minutes. I did a few more once I got back to the civilized world, but then shut off because I was too damn tired and had to run some errands before going home. Uber begged me to stay online because there was lots of demand in the area...but they were not backing it up with surge $$$ so fuck 'em.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
At least 9 deaths have been reported since Wednesday.

In north-central Kansas, three people were killed in separate car crashes on Wednesday evening; one death was confirmed to be weather-related, and two were believed to be weather-related but need more investigation, according to Kansas Highway Patrol spokesperson Lt. Candice Breshears.

In Kansas City, one person died after losing control of their Dodge Caravan on icy roads Thursday afternoon, according to the Kansas City Police Department. “The Dodge went down the embankment, over the cement retaining wall and landed upside down, submerged in Brush Creek,” police said in a statement.

In Kentucky, three people died due to the storm, including two in vehicle crashes and the other a “housing insecure” person in Louisville, Gov. Andy Beshear said. The man’s body was found outside with no obvious signs of trauma and an autopsy would determine the cause of death, police said.

And in Ohio, four people have died “as a result of weather-related auto accidents” and several others have been injured, according to Gov. Mike DeWine.
More than one million customers in the US are experiencing power outages amid the winter weather and frigid temperatures, according to the website PowerOutage.US. Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania have the most outages.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It hit 75 degf here for me, but now not quite twelve hours later it's 43 degf with an expectation of hitting the freezing mark just before dawn. So just over 40 degrees drop. My wife wanted to know if she should wake me for my usual morning walk tomorrow. At 9am the wind chill is projected to be 25 degs so I'm going to take a pass on that :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
telcta

Post by telcta »

We lost power about an hour ago. Hoping pipes don’t freeze quickly. May have to sleep in the car later tonight. Currently 8 degrees and continuing to drop.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

telcta wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:35 am We lost power about an hour ago. Hoping pipes don’t freeze quickly. May have to sleep in the car later tonight. Currently 8 degrees and continuing to drop.
So...swimsuit weather? (compared to here :D ) Good luck, maybe seek out a hotel/motel for the night?
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

telcta wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:35 am We lost power about an hour ago. Hoping pipes don’t freeze quickly. May have to sleep in the car later tonight. Currently 8 degrees and continuing to drop.
You can stay with me if you need to.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 am
You can stay with me if you need to.
It's damn near tropical by you!
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Actually it's 4 degrees. But my central heater is on.........constantly.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:43 am Actually it's 4 degrees. But my central heater is on.........constantly.
I repeat, it's damn near tropical by you! :D
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And, FWIW, my MiL came here a few days ago from the Philippines. She said she wanted to experience winter. Well...
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 am
So...swimsuit weather? (compared to here :D ) Good luck, maybe seek out a hotel/motel for the night?
The car has about 40% charge. That would get us through the night. Thankfully worst case scenario is keep the car in the garage out of the wind. I’m already set to just shut off the main water but I’m probably over reacting at this point.
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 am You can stay with me if you need to.
Tempting!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

All your posts remind me of when we had Hurricane Ian coming through and the three of us in Florida were posting our status and the rest of you were being so supportive. I can't do much for you guys but we'll be thinking of you tonight :think:

By the way, today we finally had someone come to fix our screens that were damaged by Ian. They weren't going to be here till sometime in the new year but luckily the last appointment for them canceled and the installer lives near us and offered to come by and do the fix on the way home.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The worst part of our subzero day here was that the water line to the fridge froze so we're resorting to drinking faucet water. Well, that and shoveling in -30 windchill this morning - thank goodness the predicted blizzard fizzled out into probably not even 2".
That's my purse! I don't know you!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

:csmile: Got our power back about an hour or so ago. telcta is sleeping (takes me a little longer conk-off) and I thought I’d update you guys.

Sorry dbt for making you clean and change the guest room sheets :lol:

Jeff V, we actually stayed at a hotel a few years back during the freak October storm. Swear my brother still twitches when people talk about “that time”!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're up to 2 degrees before wind chill. Luckily, in the 20 years I've been here, I have never had the pipes freeze, even in weather colder than this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:48 am And, FWIW, my MiL came here a few days ago from the Philippines. She said she wanted to experience winter. Well...
See now I thought you were going to say something about it being especially cold in the house with the MiL there.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It was 71 here yesterday morning. This morning is was 36.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

msteelers wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:07 am It was 71 here yesterday morning. This morning is was 36.
It's cold here an hour north of you too, but since I didn't get up till now (9am) I missed whatever frost there might have been on the ground. But I walked out to the mailbox and it's got to be less than forty and it is blowing still.