Winter 2022-23 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Re: Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC
As many as 11 million people from California to Wisconsin are under winter weather advisories Monday due to a massive storm that has already dumped up to 4 feet of snow across the Sierra Nevada.

The storm, expected to bring both snow and severe weather, is making its way into the Rockies and the northern Plains on Monday, where blizzard-like conditions are expected.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We got a bit of snow over the weekend and the temps are in the 30's most days. Seems winter may have finally decided to arrive in NJ. I would not have been hurt if it skipped a year. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We had our first snowfall of the season yesterday. Only about an inch, but it's cold enough that it's going to hang around for a few days.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of the winter names is my name!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Parts of the Dakotas about to get hit:
Numerous warnings and advisories have already been posted as of Monday morning:

Blizzard warning for much of western SD starting tonight for heavy snow, wind gusts over 40 mph, and white-out conditions with heavy snow.

Winter storm warning central and northern SD. Heavy snow likely, with some locations over 18″ by the end of the week.

In Colorado, it's ice and fire:
Six weather alerts go into effect in Colorado on Monday, as some regions of the state prepare to be slammed by a powerful winter storm, and others face dangerous fire weather conditions.

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm One of the winter names is my name!
Xar!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I posted about the nasty winter weather over on the other thread, but I'll copy and paste it here since I think it's time to retire the other thread.

Hurricane season end, winter season spins up: A meteorological hammer drops with blizzard conditions and severe weather
Decembers have been trending warmer across the contiguous U.S. in recent decades, but you wouldn’t guess it from the chilly conditions set to envelop most of the country between now and the new year. A major upper-level storm moving into the West on Monday will set off the big shift. Reinforcements of cold air from Canada and the Arctic will push toward the U.S. over the following few days.

Readings will tumble below average this week from the Rockies eastward, and then dip to even colder levels next week. Much of the central U.S. might stay below freezing for days on end, and temperatures could drop below zero Fahrenheit from Denver to Chicago northward.
Enlarge Image

There are several Twitter Posting in the spoiler tags, didn't want to blow up your reading.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And it's not just nasty in North America:
Spoiler:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chicago has been quite temperate, above average for most of the season. That might change next week -- coinciding with the arrival of my Mother-in-law. Should I read anything into that?
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:32 pm Chicago has been quite temperate, above average for most of the season. That might change next week -- coinciding with the arrival of my Mother-in-law. Should I read anything into that?
Watch for the flying monkeys.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

November was a whopping 11 degrees above average, which I"m pretty sure set a record. December started warm, too, but has been seasonal -- even a little below average -- for the past week. Winters in New England are warming more than any other season, and have gained 4 degrees F since 1970.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm One of the winter names is my name!
Yvette? :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm surprised there hasn't been anyone posting about the upcoming cold blast coming across the US this week. We here in Florida aren't going to get it as bad, but still it's going to be a chilly Christmas. Here's our local weather forecast.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Parents said it’s projected for 21F in Panama City this week.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're looking at a warm windy rainstorm Fri and Sat, followed by clear and seasonable weather Sunday. Nuthin to see here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bottom drops out Friday. Cold Christmas.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The weather nightmare before Christmas

Tens of millions of Americans will find themselves recalibrating – and in some cases canceling – holiday plans over the next week, as an exceptionally intense Arctic front plows across most of the eastern two-thirds of the United States during the run-up to Christmas Day.

Below-freezing air will push to the Gulf Coast by Christmas weekend, with readings likely to dip below zero Fahrenheit from Oklahoma to Ohio late this week. On top of this, a “bomb” cyclone (one that deepens by at least 24 millibars in 24 hours) will race from the Central Plains to the Great Lakes on Friday and Saturday, December 23-24. Fierce winds and heavy snow are expected to produce widespread blizzard conditions and shut down transportation over portions of the Great Lakes and Midwest on one of the year’s busiest travel weekends.

Heavy rains and high winds will buffet the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast before the front arrives, most likely bringing a burst of cold and a quick shot of snow around Saturday (Christmas Eve).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It just dawned on me I better go out tomorrow or Wednesday for some kerosene for the heater. Ive not bough kerosene since before my wife died. We used to get it as a voucher ...was a choice for it or electricity bill help. We always took the kero until we noticed it would be more helpful for the electric help. We had some leftover kero for a couple years that we used only on the coldest nights.

Well that time is hear again. Im not sure my space heaters will be enough with it in the single digits by mornings so will have to spend money I cant on kero. If the power was to go out then Id be really screwed. But whatever. Once a year perhaps. Ill get 5gal jug filled. Im betting it will be like $5 a gal. Id hoped to pay my property taxes next month after selling an item this month but that gets iffy when I have to spend bit by bit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kerosene is $5.69 a gal at the place we used to get it often. Im gonna try to call a couple other places we got it at a couple times and see if they have any and the price. Doubt it will help.

EDIT: Called 3 other places I remembered we had used and 2 no longer sell kerosene and the other was $6.42 a gal. Crap. I cant think of another store we used now. Looks like Im stuck at that first one. Had hoped to get it cheaper and closer to home. Theres no place online I can find a listing of per gal kerosene sales. They all list propane and home services.

I wonder if you can pay taxes in two separate payments or so? Id probably lose my discount even if I could.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'd be willing to bet you can pay taxes in more than one payment. You can either contact them and ask or just send in partial payment and then do it again month later. They may charge a penalty tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

6-8" and low teens here in the NW, with more on the way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:26 pm I'd be willing to bet you can pay taxes in more than one payment. You can either contact them and ask or just send in partial payment and then do it again month later. They may charge a penalty tho.
Thank you. Ill go by while Im out in a few and ask them. I have a discount and if it doesn't hurt that I will do it. My wife used to always pay in April. Im guessing we didn't have the money until then. So she must have been hit with a penalty each time and I never knew until she died and I went to pay. Ill see how small it is. my sister said she doesn't pay until July sometimes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My son's gift list:

Snow to come on Christmas
Customizable go pro
Money
A job
Another nightlight
Zoe to not like Evan
Zoe to help Randall with his feelings
A random gift
Toy car
Looks like he'll get his #1 so I guess I'm done? That's how it works, right?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That also covers #8, so 2-for-1.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I went by the tax and tags place and asked about smaller payments and they said that will work and not affect my tax relief discount. BUT I have to be paid in full by the end of Feb or I lose my discount. Which means instead of paying $268 I owe $370 so nearly $400. I should be able to pay half Jan and Feb because SS raised me nearly $100. So I can hope.

Also I got kero at $5.62 a gal. They said they just got it today cheaper themselves and if Id bought it a couple days ago it was nearly $7 a gal. So lucked out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Internet panic the other day stated 33" of snow in Chicago later this week (this would be an all-time record).

Latest forecast from actual meteorologists suggests maybe 4".

I'll be shocked if we get more than a dusting from a few flurries.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bomb cyclone sweeping through midwest I think my forecaster said..or will sweep through.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's a brisk 50 degrees in the morning, but supposed to be up to 82 by Christmas.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We didn't reserve the indoor soccer field today since a lot of people are out of town. So some of those who are left want to play on the outdoor pitch tonight. It's 25 degrees (f) right now. I can deal with the cold but that just screams injury.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sending my family lobsters for xmas dinner via UPS Next-Day Air, and the NWS just declared a blizzard warning for West Michigan. The shipping (plus shipping insurance) cost nearly as much as the lobsters did, so they had jolly well better get there if they have to deliver via snowmobile.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You could have saved money and just let them walk there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Amarillo Design Bureau (based in Amarillo, Texas) and their games, but they just posted this on their Facebook news feed:
After consideration of the weather forecast for Thursday, December 22, with its wind chill temperatures down to 30 below zero, ADB will be closed on Thursday. Jean will notify you about our status on the 23rd.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like we probably won’t be having our annual get together in Ohio this year thanks to this stupid friggin’ weather. We planned this weeks ago. :x
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:57 pm Looks like we probably won’t be having our annual get together in Ohio this year thanks to this stupid friggin’ weather. We planned this weeks ago. :x
That's a shame, I understand that there might be a shipment of lobsters stranded there you could enjoy :wink:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's supposed to be 0 degrees by 6PM today. Goddamn!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Temps dropped from 46° to 10° in about a quarter-mile stretch on the drive home last night. Todays temp range is -17° to 0°. Wind chills up to -56° predicted.

The big transition was preceeded by a haboob which is pretty rare in these parts. Since the temp was in the mid-40s, I swung through the car wash on the way home. When I got to my garage, my charge port was frozen shut. Fortunately we have a space heater in the garage, so one popped GFI circuit layer, I was able to get access to charging up my car over night. No issues with my drive in this morning, despite the brisk temps.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Friday high of 51 and a low of 5. :lol: It's going to be an ice skating rink Friday night.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Meal wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:18 am Temps dropped from 46° to 10° in about a quarter-mile stretch on the drive home last night. Todays temp range is -17° to 0°. Wind chills up to -56° predicted.

The big transition was preceeded by a haboob which is pretty rare in these parts. Since the temp was in the mid-40s, I swung through the car wash on the way home. When I got to my garage, my charge port was frozen shut. Fortunately we have a space heater in the garage, so one popped GFI circuit layer, I was able to get access to charging up my car over night. No issues with my drive in this morning, despite the brisk temps.
Off-topic, but Wikipedia says there was no 2005 Stanley Cup Champion. I'm confused :?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Who dares challenge me for my (self-declared) Cup victory?!?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill just repost my jpg. It actually auto updates the thumbnail when the actually weather is updated but its up in the thread now.

50 today then 8 tonight and 16 tomorrow. Thats a HUGE damn change QUICK. Hate that. Gonna feel even colder.

Enlarge Image

The future outlook though is nice as starting after the 28th we're supposed to be above normal in temps for a good while.