Winter 2022-23 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by Jeff V »

It rained a lot today, and now it's extremely foggy out. I didn't like driving in it, any can't imagine it will improve when my wife is driving home after midnight.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rained all day here too. Was 72 degrees. Has to turn the fan and AC on a few min today. This just after a few days of single digits last Christmas weekend.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:34 pm Massive storm hitting CA with 100% chance of rain on Thursday, don't see that very often. Possibly 60" of snow in the mountains.

Is the drought over yet?
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/07/11474945 ... torm-water
California is getting drenched. So why can't it save water for the drought?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Great Salt Lake is gonna be gone by 2024 if CA doesn't mail them some water. Those poor Mormons flopping around a dry lake bed.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I don't know you east coasters do it. We had 70 mph gusts of wind last night, power went out, house shaking, kids scared. Lost a tree last week on the first cyclone bomb. Then last night it was even more powerful. Supposed to happen again tonight and tomorrow too.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm I don't know you east coasters do it. We had 70 mph gusts of wind last night, power went out, house shaking, kids scared. Lost a tree last week on the first cyclone bomb. Then last night it was even more powerful. Supposed to happen again tonight and tomorrow too.
Why, that's not even hurricane strength! :wink:

Seriously though, here where I am not only do we see winds like that during tropical storms and hurricanes, but gusts of that strength can occur during the daily strong thunderstorms in the spring, summer and fall. And in the winter when a cold front goes through we can get gusts like that in squall lines. Helps weed out the weaker trees and more vulnerable power infrastructure elements.

I'm assuming you're somewhere on the west coast that's getting slammed with those storms.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, in its 108 years my house has endured countless Nor'easters and blizzards and at least a few hurricanes. Past performance is no guarantee of future results as storms grow stronger and more frequent, but it's got solid bones.
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:52 pm
naednek wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm I don't know you east coasters do it. We had 70 mph gusts of wind last night, power went out, house shaking, kids scared. Lost a tree last week on the first cyclone bomb. Then last night it was even more powerful. Supposed to happen again tonight and tomorrow too.
Why, that's not even hurricane strength! :wink:

Seriously though, here where I am not only do we see winds like that during tropical storms and hurricanes, but gusts of that strength can occur during the daily strong thunderstorms in the spring, summer and fall. And in the winter when a cold front goes through we can get gusts like that in squall lines. Helps weed out the weaker trees and more vulnerable power infrastructure elements.

I'm assuming you're somewhere on the west coast that's getting slammed with those storms.
Sacramento CA. We've had some gnarly storms the last week with 2 more coming right up.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

naednek wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:13 pm gnarly
I've only ever heard that adjective used in California and Colorado, and the latter might have been from California.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

naednek

Post by naednek »

Jeff V wrote:
naednek wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:13 pm gnarly
I've only ever heard that adjective used in California and Colorado, and the latter might have been from California.
Well, it's not something I normally say. But figured it was the right adjective

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me and my friends used it in TN in the mid 80s. Along with radical. It was either from some skateboarder movie or maybe Fast Times at Ridgemont High. When I read "gnarly!" I picture sean penn and skateboading.

EDIT: Seems I pegged it right on the head after all. Nice memory there brain!

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Any OO’ers in the CA Central Coast area? I’m hearing it’s really bad down there. These storms keep battering the region. Flooding, high winds, downed trees. My oldest is a freshman at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, and some of the videos and reports he’s sent me are shocking. Sounds really bad.

Stay safe!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Still raining steadily in SoCal, filling those reservoirs and packing that snow.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, that's some destruction.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:03 pm A good collection of photos of the California weather/rain surge the past week+

Our neighborhood is doing pretty well thus far tho.
If it wasn't for the trees, I'd swear it was a Chicago side street.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fuk, I used to live in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That looks like our road up our hill normally. Except ours is gravel.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow. We're having a mild January in part because your atmospheric river is keeping arctic air from coming south.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:43 pm Wow. We're having a mild January in part because your atmospheric river is keeping arctic air from coming south.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:43 pm Wow. We're having a mild January in part because your atmospheric river is keeping arctic air from coming south.
Us as well. I blame the hot air my MiL brought with her from the Philippines (more to the point, her desire for winter experience).

We're all going snow tubing in Wisconsin Sunday. courtesy of snow machines. Temps are expected to be around 45.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:46 pm Temps are expected to be around 45.
That's going to be about ten degrees warmer than our overnight temps tonight and tomorrow night as we get another blast of cold air. And yet the temps will be back in the eighties by the end of the week. It is really freaking out my lizards! :D
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 am It is really freaking out my lizards! :D
I've a FB friend who I call the "Lizard Lady." She's the friend of a former employee -- I was hanging out with the two of them and a few other former coworkers the day before going to the Philippines and she (of Taiwanese IIRC descent) accused me, not unfairly, of having "yellow fever." I always got a kick out of her. Anyway, I was planning to bring my daughter to meet her -- my daughter would love to play with lizards, but about a year ago, her prized iguana expired. I haven't talked to her since my condolences, I need to see if she replaced it yet. She also has bearded dragons which she said are the best for a kid as they are easy to care for.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:21 pm Fuk, I used to live in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley.
Me too. I used to work on the wharf. Looks like it's mostly undamaged unlike the Capitola and Aptos piers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It feels extra cold today and tonight but its only in the mid 20s it says for tonight. Not sure why it feels so cold. Maybe its the breeze. Theres no way I can get my house warm but I have the chill knocked off. Sitting in front of one heater here at the pc helps pretty good for this single spot.... not the room though.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Winter refuses to die. By Wednesday morning we're supposed to have 6" of snow on the ground.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

... It's JANUARY
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This week we're going from the mid-eighties to the mid-sixties right back to the mid-eighties with winds gusting from the south one day and then two days later from the north. I've been able to go into my pool a few times in the past couple of weeks and then a few days ago my bird bath had ice on it. Weird.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Told my son he could shovel snow yesterday. He just waited for it to melt (which it did by mid-day).

We might have more persistent snow this week. As of today, I still have not needed the shovel.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

We got 4-5” of snow in eastern CT today and I finally broke out the snowblower. I think this may be the farthest I've gone into winter before needing it since we moved into our house nine winters ago.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I still don't own a snowblower, but if we had a typical winter, buying one was certainly a possibility. Last year wasn't bad, but 2 years ago I was having to fling heavy snow over my head (6 foot piles along the drive way) and I'm really getting too old for that shit.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:21 am I still don't own a snowblower, but if we had a typical winter, buying one was certainly a possibility. Last year wasn't bad, but 2 years ago I was having to fling heavy snow over my head (6 foot piles along the drive way) and I'm really getting too old for that shit.
I performed the annual anointing of the snowblower in November. It's still sitting there, plugged in and gassed up, ready for action. So far we've had about 6" this year, never more than 1.5" at a time.

This is not a complaint.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:I still don't own a snowblower, but if we had a typical winter, buying one was certainly a possibility. Last year wasn't bad, but 2 years ago I was having to fling heavy snow over my head (6 foot piles along the drive way) and I'm really getting too old for that shit.
I've had to deal with this situation on more than one occasion (not yesterday), so life without either a large snowblower or a plow guy isn't really an option...ImageImage
And yes, that is my entire driveway drifted over the day after I had already cleared it once. My driveway is unfortunately oriented in a way that the wind usually blows straight across, so I often get the pleasure of redoing my work even if it doesn't actually snow again Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

O/T but I see three garage doors. I'm assuming one is for the snowblower and lawnmower?
disarm

Post by disarm »

jztemple2 wrote:O/T but I see three garage doors. I'm assuming one is for the snowblower and lawnmower?
Two cars and use third for miscellaneous storage...bikes, portable generator, outdoor toys for kids, snowblower in the winter. The lawnmower lives in a separate shed that's just out of view, which is also home to the snowblower during its off-season.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

35 degrees and we're have rain and snow both.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Temps are all over each day here right now. Last night it was about 27 and today is 55. Nice and sunny. I should go out for a bit later and take Buster.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I made it until January 25th before having to 1) Break in the new winter boots and 2) Shovel the driveway. Boots are pain to put on (not sure how well I will do when my back is disagreeing with me), but walking in them is not wholly terrible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was 60 at noon but has been dropping since.