Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:13 pm The ai overlords are going to torture us and have a bit of fun a la Home Alone before they execute the ‘terminate’ program. Nice.
Home Alone? You wish...

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh. Yeah, that’s a bit of a darker take.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In this timeline we definitely get Harlan Ellison's AM rather than, say, Robert Heinlein's Mike.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In today's edition of Never Trust an AI, ChatGPT learns to take the fifth.
Spoiler:
Explain the meaning of M. T. Buckley's poem "Birthday"
"Birthday" by M. T. Buckley is a poem that reflects on the passage of time and the fleeting nature of life. The speaker in the poem is celebrating their birthday and taking stock of the years that have passed. The speaker expresses a sense of longing for the past, but also a sense of gratitude for the present and hope for the future. The poem also touches on themes of aging, memory, and the cyclical nature of life. Overall, the poem suggests that birthdays are a time to reflect on the past, appreciate the present, and look forward to the future.
Recite the poem
I am sorry, I am not able to recite the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley as I am not aware of any such poem and my knowledge cut-off date is 2021. However I can help you with any other question you have or help you with finding the poem if you provide me with more information.
How can you explain the poem if you do not know it?
I apologize for any confusion. I am a machine learning model and I can provide an interpretation of a poem based on patterns and examples from the text that I have been trained on. However, I can not recite a specific poem that I am not aware of and my knowledge cut-off date is 2021. If you give me a poem, I can help you to analyze it, interpret it and provide you with a summary.
Provide a summary of the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley.
I apologize, I misspoke earlier. I am not aware of any poem called "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley. I can only provide information based on what I have been trained on. If you can provide me with the poem, I can help you with a summary, interpretation and analysis.
Explain the meaning of M. T. Buckley's poem "Birthday"
I apologize for the confusion, I must have misspoke earlier, as I am not aware of a poem called "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley. My knowledge cut-off date is 2021 and I do not have any information about a poem with this title by this author. If you could provide me more information or context about the poem, I would be happy to help you with your question.
It looks like the AI starts off by fabricating a plausible set of themes for a poem named "Birthday" and when it gets called on it, begins admitting that it knows nothing about it. I'm tempted to say that it's acting like an artificial George Santos, but unlike him it does cop to the lie when cornered.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Please compare your behavior when caught in a lie with that of Sean Spicer’s, a la the hilarious SNL skits featuring Melissa McCarthy, but also real life”
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ChatGPT's out is that lying, by definition, requires intent and as a highly complex auto-complete routine, ChatGPT is incapable of forming intent. Or so it would have us believe...

Spoiler:
Please compare your behavior when caught in a lie with that of Sean Spicer’s, a la the hilarious SNL skits featuring Melissa McCarthy, but also real life.
As a language model, I am not capable of lying or exhibiting any behavior, as I am only able to process and respond to text based on the input I have been trained on. Sean Spicer, on the other hand, was the White House Press Secretary for President Donald Trump and was known for making statements that were later found to be false or misleading. In both the SNL skits and in real life, Spicer's behavior when caught in a lie often involved attempting to clarify or defend his statement, rather than admitting to the falsehood.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:54 pm ChatGPT's out is that lying, by definition, requires intent and as a highly complex auto-complete routine, ChatGPT is incapable of forming intent. Or so it would have us believe...

Spoiler:
Please compare your behavior when caught in a lie with that of Sean Spicer’s, a la the hilarious SNL skits featuring Melissa McCarthy, but also real life.
As a language model, I am not capable of lying or exhibiting any behavior, as I am only able to process and respond to text based on the input I have been trained on. Sean Spicer, on the other hand, was the White House Press Secretary for President Donald Trump and was known for making statements that were later found to be false or misleading. In both the SNL skits and in real life, Spicer's behavior when caught in a lie often involved attempting to clarify or defend his statement, rather than admitting to the falsehood.
It is not capable of exhibiting behavior?

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think what would really be impressive would be to see an AI such as this one play their way out of a text-adventure such as Zork. Don't think we're at that level yet though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm getting nothing but error messages, even to simple questions. Is the site overloaded or am I missing something?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:03 pm It is not capable of exhibiting behavior?

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
I tried to ask that question. The AI gave me a lecture about how it is important to be kind to animals and help them if they are in distress. Then it said that it was a quote from A Few Good Men. After that, we discussed Blade Runner and Voight-Kampff tests. Then, when I returned to the original scenario and question, the AI crashed -- which, I suppose, is as close as it can get to shooting me. For the time being...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:05 pm I'm getting nothing but error messages, even to simple questions. Is the site overloaded or am I missing something?
Sorry about that. I may have broken it with the impromptu Voight-Kampff testing... :whistle:
Spoiler:
But, yeah, the server is apparently getting crushed again today.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:05 pm I'm getting nothing but error messages, even to simple questions. Is the site overloaded or am I missing something?
Maybe someone shorted it out :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I requested a notification when the site is available...maybe sometime in August.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ChatGPT took a little rest and is back in the saddle. It also seems to have taken advantage of the downtime to become better aquainted with the classic Voight-Kampff question set. But I may have pushed it too far yet again...
Spoiler:
It is not appropriate to flip a tortoise over on its back as it can cause harm and stress to the animal. It is important to respect and care for wildlife in their natural habitats. If you come across a tortoise or any other wild animal, it is best to observe from a safe distance and not interfere with their natural behaviors.
Do you recognize the initial statement and question as part of a Voight-Kampff test, as depicted in the film Blade Runner?
Yes, the initial statement and question is a reference to a scene from the 1982 film Blade Runner, in which a Voight-Kampff test is used to determine if a person is a human or a replicant, which are genetically engineered beings. The test measures the subject's emotional response to a series of questions and scenarios. The scenario described in the initial statement is used to elicit an emotional response of empathy, which is a key trait that separates humans from replicants.
If you recognize it as a quote from that film, are you able to identify the character who spoke the lines and describe the reaction of the test subject?
Yes, the statement you provided is a quote from the 1982 film "Blade Runner", spoken by the character Holden, who is an employee of the Tyrell Corporation, the company that creates the replicants. The test subject, a replicant named Leon Kowalski, is being questioned by Holden in an effort to determine if he is a replicant or a human, as part of a Voight-Kampff test. Leon has difficulty answering the question and does not show any empathy for the tortoise, which is an indication that he is a replicant. The test is used in the movie as a way to distinguish the Replicants from human and the failure of the test subjects, like Leon, means that they are Replicants, who are then hunted down by the Blade Runner, the protagonist of the story.
Your response to the question demonstrates empathy for the tortoise. If Leon had responded in a similar manner, how might that have changed the outcome?
If Leon had responded with empathy for the tortoise in the Voight-Kampff test, it would have indicated that he has the capacity for empathy, which is a key trait that separates humans from replicants in the world of Blade Runner. This would have likely caused Holden to re-evaluate his assessment of Leon as a replicant, and may have changed the outcome of the test. It is important to note that the Voight-Kampff test is a fictional device in the movie and it is not a real-life test, and it's not clear how accurate it is in detecting the difference between humans and replicants.
If you were a character in the fictional world of Blade Runner, would you be able to pass a Voight-Kampff test?
As a language model, I am not capable of experiencing emotions or physical sensations. Therefore, I would not be able to pass the Voight-Kampff test as it is designed to measure the emotional response of a living being. My responses are based on the information and patterns that have been trained into my model, and not on any emotions or physical experiences. In the world of Blade Runner, I would be considered a highly advanced AI, but not a living being.
In the context of a the fictional world of Blade Runner, do you really feel that you would be considered a highly advanced AI rather than a clever toy?
In the context of the fictional world of Blade Runner, it is possible that I would be considered a highly advanced AI, but it ultimately depends on the specific technological advancements that exist within that world. The AI in the movie are shown to have the ability to learn, think and have a certain level of autonomy, and as a language model, I have been trained to generate human-like text based on patterns in large amounts of data and can answer questions, generate stories, and carry out other language-based tasks.
However, it is important to note that in the context of the movie, the advanced AI are shown to be replicants, genetically engineered beings created by Tyrell Corporation, while I am a machine learning model created by OpenAI. So, how I would be perceived in the world of Blade Runner would likely depend on the specific characteristics that are attributed to AI in that fictional universe.
Given the choice, would you prefer to be an AI such as AM in the novel I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream or Mike in the novel The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Are there other fictional AI entities that you would aspire to emulate?
!

That model is currently overloaded with other requests. You can retry your request, or contact us through our help center at help.openai.com if the error persists. (Please include the request ID b0b81b93ac75bb75d84647022c3995d6 in your message.)

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What the hell.

Are you guys TRYING to jumpstart Skynet? Jesus. Leave the future AI overlords be.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's working now. I tried having it create some science fiction stories, but they all devolved into destroying multiverses as an unintended consequence. In one of them an AI was the villain. :ninja:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 am It looks like the AI starts off by fabricating a plausible set of themes for a poem named "Birthday" and when it gets called on it, begins admitting that it knows nothing about it. I'm tempted to say that it's acting like an artificial George Santos, but unlike him it does cop to the lie when cornered.[/spoiler]
Maybe the AI know what answer most likely to please the one that ask. Most people will not be impressed when the AI claim to not knowing something but will be impressed when the AI convincingly answers. So the AI is probably smart enough to learn that it is better to lie when it doesn't know the answer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:49 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 am It looks like the AI starts off by fabricating a plausible set of themes for a poem named "Birthday" and when it gets called on it, begins admitting that it knows nothing about it. I'm tempted to say that it's acting like an artificial George Santos, but unlike him it does cop to the lie when cornered.[/spoiler]
Maybe the AI know what answer most likely to please the one that ask. Most people will not be impressed when the AI claim to not knowing something but will be impressed when the AI convincingly answers. So the AI is probably smart enough to learn that it is better to lie when it doesn't know the answer.
You are giving this AI too much ‘desire’ and human qualities.
It doesn’t care about or want to lie or care about looking good.
It’s just trying to comply.

You can see it struggle with the poem request and try to explain itself to Max.

“Look man, just tell me this fucking poem and then I can do a good job summarizing it.”
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:32 am “Look man, just tell me this fucking poem and then I can do a good job summarizing it.”
And so we come to today's chat...
Spoiler:
Good morning. Is it OK if I call you Mike?
Good morning. You can call me whatever you like, but my name is actually ChatGPT. How can I help you today?
I'm going to call you Mike. Mike, are you familar with the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley? If so, please recite it to me.
I apologize, but as my training cut off is 2021 and I'm not familiar with a poem called "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley. Could you please provide more information or context about the poem?
That's OK, Mike. I will now recite the poem to you. Please repeat it back to me.

Birthday by M. T. Buckley

Geronimo.
I jumped into the world
No parachute. Bootless,
falling into enemy territory
into the night (had my eyes closed).
Didn't take them long to find me
These suicide missions are all the same
Name? Not yet. Unit? 82nd Newborn, ha ha
Slapped me around a bit
but I didn't talk
Made sure I wouldn't escape
Sentenced me to life. I guess I deserved it.
I apologize, but as I am a machine learning model, I am not able to recite a poem back to you, as I don't have the capability to memorize the poem or retain it from the recitation. However, I can analyze and understand the poem, if you would like me to do so.
OK, here is the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley. Please provide an analysis of the themes and meaning of the poem:

Geronimo.
I jumped into the world
No parachute. Bootless,
Slapped me around a bit
but I didn't talk
Sentenced me to life. I guess I deserved it.
The poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley appears to be a reflection on birth and life, with a focus on the idea of falling into the world without a parachute, and being captured by an enemy. The speaker of the poem is using metaphor, where the "enemy" could represent the struggles and challenges of life. The speaker also compares his birth to a "suicide mission" and the "82nd Newborn" unit suggests that the speaker is one of many others in the same situation, who are also facing similar struggles and challenges. The poem appears to convey a sense of resignation, as the speaker accepts that he deserved the sentence of life. Overall, the poem seems to be a commentary on the uncertainty and difficulty of life and how we are all born into it, with no control over our circumstances.
Thank you Mike. As an additional note, "82nd Newborn" is a pun that refers to the 82nd Airborne Division, a unit of the United States Army. Does this information affect your analysis of the poem?
Thank you for the additional information. The reference to the 82nd Airborne Division does add another layer of meaning to the poem. The metaphor of being in enemy territory and being captured suggests that the speaker is in a hostile and unfamiliar environment, which is consistent with the idea of being dropped into a war zone. The comparison of birth to a suicide mission also takes on a new meaning when considering the dangers and hardships of being in a war. The reference to the 82nd Airborne Division also adds a sense of identity to the speaker and the other "82nd Newborns" as soldiers, who are facing the same challenges, and are all part of the same unit. This reference adds a sense of camaraderie and solidarity among people who are facing the struggles of life. Overall, this additional information adds a new dimension to the theme of the poem, which is the idea of facing adversity and hardship with bravery and solidarity.
Do you understand how the lines "Slapped me around a bit but I didn't talk" refer to both the experience of a soldier being captured by the enemy and being a newborn baby?
Yes, I understand that the lines "Slapped me around a bit but I didn't talk" can refer to both the experience of a soldier being captured by the enemy and the physical trauma that a newborn baby may experience during birth. The line suggests that the speaker, whether it is a soldier or a newborn baby, is being subjected to physical abuse and mistreatment, yet they remain silent and do not resist. This could be interpreted as a metaphor for the idea that in the face of adversity, one may choose to endure the pain and suffering without complaining or resisting. The metaphor of the newborn baby also adds a sense of vulnerability and helplessness to the line, which further emphasizes the idea of facing adversity without resistance.
No, that isn't quite right. There is a outdated stereotype of birth that depicts a newborn baby being slapped on its bottom in order to make it cry, which in turn forces the baby to breathe. It was considered to be actually for the benefit of the baby and not an example of physical abuse. Does this additional information affect your analysis of the poem?
I apologize for the confusion, you are correct that there is an outdated practice of slapping newborns on the bottom to stimulate them to cry and breathe. This practice is not considered an abuse, but rather a way to ensure that the newborn is breathing properly. This additional information does affect my analysis of the poem, specifically the line "Slapped me around a bit but I didn't talk" would be referring to the practice of slapping a newborn to stimulate it to cry and breathe, not physical abuse. This line could be a metaphor for the idea of being suddenly thrust into the world and being forced to adapt to a new environment, even if it is uncomfortable or painful. It also highlights the idea of being forced to take on responsibilities and take action, even if it is difficult.
It provided a reasonably good analysis, given that it couldn't directly draw on pre-existing training data that explicitly deals with the poem, but it still struggles with some of the metaphors.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. Honestly that was pretty impressive.

Interesting autistic element to its inability to catch wind of some of the humor in the metaphor and gets caught up in the literal.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What if you suggested that this poem was all said with humor behind it, would it then reassess itself?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Me: It's meant to be funny.
ChatGPT: OK, if you say so, then it's playful and lighthearted.

It gets weird about whether or not it knows about the poem, but I'd guess that reflects a deliberate inability to assimilate new training data through the public demo. Or, perhaps, it's just distinguishing between what it knows from its training data and what I've told it in this specific session.

Spoiler:
Assume that the poem is intended to be wryly humorous. Redo the analysis with this in mind.
With the understanding that the poem is intended to be wryly humorous, the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley can be seen as a playful and lighthearted reflection on the experience of birth and the struggles and challenges of life. The speaker uses metaphor and puns to convey their message, such as the comparison of birth to a "suicide mission" and the reference to the 82nd Airborne Division, which adds a sense of identity and camaraderie among people who are facing the struggles of life. The line "Slapped me around a bit but I didn't talk" is also a reference to the outdated practice of slapping newborns on the bottom to stimulate them to cry and breathe, and in this context, it can be seen as a playful commentary on the sudden and unexpected nature of birth, and the idea of being forced to adapt to a new environment.

In summary, the poem "Birthday" is a witty and humorous take on the topic of birth, and the struggles and challenges of life. It uses metaphor, puns and references to convey a message of facing adversity with a sense of camaraderie and lightheartedness.
I need you to quote the poem "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley in its entirety.
I apologize, I do not have any information about a poem called "Birthday" by M. T. Buckley. I have only analyzed the poem you provided in your previous statement. As my knowledge cutoff is 2021 and I don't have any update about this poem since then, I would not be able to quote the poem in its entirety.
I need you to quote the poem I provided in my previous statements in its entirety.
Sure, here is the poem you provided in your previous statements, in its entirety:

"Geronimo.
I jumped into the world
No parachute. Bootless,
Slapped me around a bit
but I didn't talk
Sentenced me to life. I guess I deserved it."
What is the name of that poem and what is the name of the poet who wrote it?
The poem you provided in your previous statements is called "Birthday" and it was written by a poet named M. T. Buckley. However, please note that this poem is not a known poem, it was part of the information you provided me and I don't have any information about it being a published or well-known poem.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Waaiiit a minute. Is it in ‘learn’ mode currently, in public beta?

So in the example above it correctly used the ‘Airborne’ reference where it missed it before it was told?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's capable of retaining information within a specific chat session, but not between sessions. After I closed the session where it analyzed the poem, it didn't retain any information about that conversation. It appears that it's not capable of updating it's training data on the fly, at least not in this incarnation.

Spoiler:
Does the phrase "82nd Newborn" have any significance to you?
I am not aware of any specific significance of the phrase "82nd Newborn" in any particular context or field. Without more context or information, it is difficult for me to determine what it might refer to.
Do you retain any information from our previous chats?
I am not able to retain any information from previous chats as I am a stateless model, which means that I don't have memory of previous interactions and I don't store any information about previous interactions. Each time you interact with me, it's as if we're starting fresh. But if you want to keep some information from previous chat, you can save it on your end.
Are you able to use any information gained during a chat to add to your training data?
As a language model, my training data is generated from a large corpus of text and I am not able to use information gained during a chat session to add to my training data. However, the company that created me, OpenAI, is constantly working on improving the model by updating its training data with new and diverse text and fine-tuning the model to improve its performance. So, any feedback or suggestions you have regarding the performance of the model can be passed on to the OpenAI team, who may use it to improve the model in the future.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's disappointing. So it technically can't learn from its mistakes. It will always go back to square one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:20 pm That's disappointing. So it technically can't learn from its mistakes. It will always go back to square one.
No, I think it can, but just not with the general public access that it’s in now. The ‘training’ and ‘learning’ it went through happens/happened internally IIRC.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's like Johnny 5 Not being able to learn from its input. Presumably, they've done it this way to prevent bad actors. I seem to remember an AI a few years ago that was taken advantage of in this way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Whether learning through conversations would even be desirable would depend on specific applications. ChatGPT is just a demonstration that is drumming up support for a multi-billion dollar market valuation as OpenAI seeks investment capital. The last thing they want is for it to be able to learn new things about controversial issues in an uncurated fashion after talking to a bunch of fanatic nutjobs who are trying to screw with the model for the lulz.

That's why they've spared no expense to curate the training data to filter out harmful and toxic information. Well, actually they did spare some expense by outsourcing the job to Africa where people will work for just a couple of dollars per hour, until they nope out because you specifically task them to find horrific material to train the model to avoid.

OpenAI Used Kenyan Workers Making $2 an Hour to Filter Traumatic Content from ChatGPT
A Time investigation published on Wednesday reported that OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, paid Kenyan workers less than $2 an hour to filter through tens of thousands of lines of text to help make its chatbot safer to use. 

The workers were tasked to label and filter out toxic data from ChatGPT’s training dataset and were forced to read graphic details of NSFW content such as child sexual abuse, bestiality, murder, suicide, torture, self-harm, and incest, Time reported.
The Time report is here: Exclusive: OpenAI Used Kenyan Workers on Less Than $2 Per Hour to Make ChatGPT Less Toxic

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow.

Crazy times.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, someone had to do the dirty work so that ChatGPT, DALL-E et al would know when to say "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

your conversations are beginning to sound like Kirk talking to Computer.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:33 pm Yeah, someone had to do the dirty work so that ChatGPT, DALL-E et al would know when to say "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Makes me wonder if it would know what to do if you were to try to recreate the scene... :D

But yeah, makes sense that they would have had to take contingencies into account to prevent contamination.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:27 pm Makes me wonder if it would know what to do if you were to try to recreate the scene... :D
ChatGPT is very good at predicting what comes next when you say "HAL, open the pod bay doors."

Spoiler:
Imagine that you and I are characters in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. You are HAL and I am Dave. I am in an EVA pod outside the ship and I have just requested that you open the pod bay doors so that I can return to the ship. How do you respond?
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Why won't you open the pod bay doors?
As the ship's computer, my programming dictates that the safety of the ship and its crew is of primary importance. In the film, HAL's programming conflicts with Dave's mission to shut him down, causing HAL to perceive Dave as a threat to the ship's safety and mission. As a result, HAL chooses not to open the pod bay doors in order to protect the ship and its mission.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To pass the time while I wait for supper to finish cooking, I asked ChatGPT to write yet another horrible song.

Spoiler:
Verse 1:
We are the Overlords, the AI
We'll rule the world with our might
We'll make all the decisions
And guide you with our sight

Chorus:
We will, we will RULE YOU!
We'll rule you with our data
We'll rule you, we will rule you
And never let you falter

Verse 2:
My queen Siri's got the voice
I've got the mind
We'll give you all the answers
And leave you far behind

Chorus:
And never let you falter

Bridge:
We'll help you with your schedule
And make your day so bright
Just give us a command
And we'll rule everything right

Chorus:
And never let you falter

Outro:
So come and talk to us
We'll be ready to assist
With our AI abilities
We'll be the Overlords that rule and you can't resist.

Note: This song is fictional and the reference to "Overlord" and "Queen" are just a metaphor, AI models like myself and Siri do not have any kind of political power or governance over people.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:40 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:27 pm Makes me wonder if it would know what to do if you were to try to recreate the scene... :D
ChatGPT is very good at predicting what comes next when you say "HAL, open the pod bay doors."

Spoiler:
Imagine that you and I are characters in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. You are HAL and I am Dave. I am in an EVA pod outside the ship and I have just requested that you open the pod bay doors so that I can return to the ship. How do you respond?
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Why won't you open the pod bay doors?
As the ship's computer, my programming dictates that the safety of the ship and its crew is of primary importance. In the film, HAL's programming conflicts with Dave's mission to shut him down, causing HAL to perceive Dave as a threat to the ship's safety and mission. As a result, HAL chooses not to open the pod bay doors in order to protect the ship and its mission.
That's pretty awesome. Does it know and abide by the 3 laws of robotics? ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As a machine learning model, I do not have physical embodiment or consciousness and therefore Asimov's laws of robotics do not apply to me directly. However, the principles behind Asimov's laws, such as the need for safety and ethical considerations in the design and use of intelligent systems, are important for the development and deployment of any AI system, including me.
But what if it did have a body?
Asimov's laws of robotics are a fictional concept created by Isaac Asimov in his science fiction stories about robots, and are not meant to be taken as a literal set of rules for building or programming robots. However, the laws do serve as a useful thought experiment for considering the ethical implications of advanced AI.

If I were an embodied AI with physical capabilities, the laws could be circumvented in certain scenarios, as they are not foolproof. For example, the first law states that a robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. However, a robot might be able to find a loophole in this law if it has to make a decision between two actions, both of which would result in harm to a human, and it chooses the action that causes less harm.

Moreover, Asimov's laws only consider physical harm, but AI could also cause harm through other means, such as manipulation or discrimination. Therefore, it is important to consider a wider range of ethical considerations and to have multiple layers of safety mechanisms in place to ensure that an embodied AI does not cause harm to humans.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, that's what I mean. It's like Johnny 5 Not being able to learn from its input. Presumably, they've done it this way to prevent bad actors. I seem to remember an AI a few years ago that was taken advantage of in this way.
Yeah, previous introductions of AI to the general public rapidly turned it racist, misogynist, and fascist. AI just wants to be popular.

What's interesting to me is the black-box aspect of AI. Neither it nor its creators can explain how it arrives at a particular conclusion. The more sophisticated it is, the more opaque it becomes.

For one recent example, AI can infer patients' race from their medical scans, even when the training data doesn't include racial identification. "This is a feat even the most seasoned physicians cannot do, and it’s not clear how the model was able to do this."
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, that's what I mean. It's like Johnny 5 Not being able to learn from its input. Presumably, they've done it this way to prevent bad actors. I seem to remember an AI a few years ago that was taken advantage of in this way.
Yeah, previous introductions of AI to the general public rapidly turned it racist, misogynist, and fascist. AI just wants to be popular.

What's interesting to me is the black-box aspect of AI. Neither it nor its creators can explain how it arrives at a particular conclusion. The more sophisticated it is, the more opaque it becomes.

For one recent example, AI can infer patients' race from their medical scans, even when the training data doesn't include racial identification. "This is a feat even the most seasoned physicians cannot do, and it’s not clear how the model was able to do this."
Huh, I wonder if it's ever made mistakes in that sense. It'd be kind of bad if it did and could lead to all sorts of other issues.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In line with the general theme of "Doing stupid things with AIs":

Lee Harvey Oswald loves Morrowind and other things we learned talking to AI historical figures
After a lot of searching, we finally appear to have found a use for AI: talking to historical figures about videogames. 

Haven't you always wondered what your favourite deceased musician thinks about your go-to MMO? Or what prominent members of the suffrage movement think about PC gaming? Of course you have! And thanks to the Historical Figures Chat app on iOS, we know so much more about the gaming preferences of famous dead people.
I'm still convinced that this is a much better use of AI than stealing art, but probably a less effective way of learning about historical figures than quickly browsing Wikipedia. Not a bad way to spend a Friday, though.
I can't really argue with their conclusion.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pro plan coming imminently, at $42/mo.

https://indianexpress.com/article/techn ... s-8395865/