Youtube giving anyone troubles lately?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Youtube giving anyone troubles lately?

Post by Daehawk »

For the last 2 days YT is being mean to me :) Im getting a LOT of failures to load a video or the page . Sometimes I get half the page ...like I can see the video thumbnail but everything is is white or blank. And I cant start the video. I cant refresh the page or anything. The only thing to do is copy the url and close that tab and open a new tab and paste the url in and try. Usually that works. Sometimes still not. Its weird. Sometimes I middle click the youtube logo to open a new yt tab but it fails too.

I 'think' its youtube itself as nothing else is a problem anywhere. But it might be Firefox for all I know.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Re: Youtube giving anyone troubles lately?

Post by gilraen »

#YouTubeDOWN is trending on Twitter right now so I'm guessing it's not just you :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats good to know. usually its me lol.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Also been having issues with it the last few days.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Today I was clicking on a video and the sound would start playing but it would show me the channels "Shorts" tab - no video, just the list of available shorts. Had to do the URL paste thing to get it to play. Very odd.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Most of my YouTube-viewing is done via the privacy-friendly FreeTube client, which still works fine for me:
FreeTubeApp.io wrote:Image

What is FreeTube?
FreeTube is a YouTube client for Windows, Mac, and Linux built around using YouTube more privately. You can enjoy your favorite content and creators without your habits being tracked. All of your user data is stored locally and never sent or published to the internet. FreeTube grabs data by scraping the information it needs (with either local methods or by optionally utilizing the Invidious API). With many features similar to YouTube, FreeTube has become one of the best methods to watch YouTube privately on desktop.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Suddenly I cant middle click youtube thumbnails to open a video in a new tab. I have to click the text below the pics. I used to be able to do it either way. Hope this is just a thing that goes away on the next reboot. Sometimes I wonder with YT's flakiness..or mine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a way to speed up YT loading its page and videos? Maybe a cache I can clean. Keep in mind Im using a totally new 500g SSD m.2 drive.

YT just seems slow to load when I go there. Also the YT thread here loads very slow. Takes a while for it to load all the thumbnails. Doesn't matter if there only one on a new page or many.

My thought is it has something to do with my favorites list. I have over 1000 videos favorited. But as far as I know its not cached or anything. A video isn;t loaded until I click it to play.

Could the list be causing the YT slowness or is there something Im missing I can do to get it running good again?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Part of it is just the recent trend toward overdesigned, sluggish websites. Both Comcast (sorry, Xfinity) and Verizon make me feel like I'm on 56k. Beyond that, look at your browser plugins or internet connection.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:42 pm Is there something Im missing I can do to get it running good again?
Yes, use a privacy-friendly YouTube frontend instead:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I fixed most if not all my YT problems with removing my ADblock FF extension and installed uBlock Origins.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im about to have to give up YouTube and I dislike all the other front ends to watch their videos on.

I removed all my ad blocking apps and it is defaulting to the lowest quality 144 and taking 10-15 to load the video. if I fast forward it or click ahead its another 15 sec or more of watching that little wait circle. Sometimes it failed to restart at all and I have to reload the video page.

Im sick of fooling with it. But I watch SO much. its my main entertainment every day.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm not having any issues with Youtube using Firefox + uBlock Origin.
Make sure you update uBlock to the latest version, as they continually make tweaks to get around Youtube's adblock-catching algorithm.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I downloaded a extension for my browser called Freetube. But I dotn know how to use it or load it. I dont see an icon up in the top tray for it or in my extensions.

Ill looking into the Ublock
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:49 pm I downloaded a extension for my browser called Freetube. But I dotn know how to use it or load it. I dont see an icon up in the top tray for it or in my extensions.
FreeTube is not a browser extension itself (though it can be used that way via the Privacy Redirect and LibRedirect browser extensions, that allow you to open YouTube links from your browser into FreeTube). It's a dedicated open source privacy-focused YouTube player or app, specifically designed for the purpose of watching YouTube content seamlessly without sacrificing your privacy as explained below:
freetubeapp.io wrote:What is FreeTube?
FreeTube is a YouTube client for Windows, Mac, and Linux built around using YouTube more privately. You can enjoy your favorite content and creators without your habits being tracked. All of your user data is stored locally and never sent or published to the internet. FreeTube grabs data by scraping the information it needs (with either local methods or by optionally utilizing the Invidious API). With many features similar to YouTube, FreeTube has become one of the best methods to watch YouTube privately on desktop.
To install and use it on Windows:
  1. Download the FreeTube installer for Windows from the official website, i.e. click the ".exe (x64)" in the Windows section.
  2. After the installer is downloaded, double-click on it to start the installation process.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of FreeTube.
  4. Once the installation is complete, launch FreeTube from your desktop or start menu.
  5. Follow the instructions provided here on how to import your subscriptions from YouTube.
  6. Hey Presto, you can now view and play YouTube content without advertisements, and FreeTube also offers privacy features such as the ability to download videos and watch them offline.
Keep in mind, you can also further customise your viewing experience by making adjustments in the settings menu, such as video quality, dark mode, SponsorBlock settings and so on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ohhh ok. thank you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since trying to install freetube and such to fix youtube I cant view any yourtube videos posted on OO...they all have a text over them saying all invidious link videos wont work because youtunbe is trying to actively block them.

And i dotn know if its related but my google maps isn't working...its showing some unmarked US map and says its open street view or some shit...and now it wont load at all

and youtube wont load at all now

EDIT:............it was privacy redirect causing all the problems. It was trying to redirect twitter youtube everything. I dont recall installing that. I turned it off and all seems well.