2022 Midterm Election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

2022 Midterm Election

Post by stessier »

I don't think we have a specific thread for this yet.

We are a week out, but early voting is in full swing here in South Carolina. Over 165k votes have already been cast, which is higher than was expected.

I'll be working at the polls again this year on Nov 8th. We just got an updated ruling that all MAGA and BLM material will be allowed in the polling places. When I did this in 2020, BLM was allowed but MAGA was not. This decision was made after consultation with the ACLU. I just hope everyone behaves. When I voted early, I was talking with a worker who said they had to call the cops on someone who wouldn't put their cell phone away and was trying to take a picture of their ballot. Big no-no! If you manage to get a picture, definitely don't post it on social media - at least in SC, they have people looking for it and you will be prosecuted.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daveman

Re: 2022 Midterm Election

Post by Daveman »

I've thought the "Too early to think about 2022" thread is the election thread.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:39 am I don't think we have a specific thread for this yet.

We are a week out, but early voting is in full swing here in South Carolina. Over 165k votes have already been cast, which is higher than was expected.

I'll be working at the polls again this year on Nov 8th. We just got an updated ruling that all MAGA and BLM material will be allowed in the polling places. When I did this in 2020, BLM was allowed but MAGA was not. This decision was made after consultation with the ACLU. I just hope everyone behaves. When I voted early, I was talking with a worker who said they had to call the cops on someone who wouldn't put their cell phone away and was trying to take a picture of their ballot. Big no-no! If you manage to get a picture, definitely don't post it on social media - at least in SC, they have people looking for it and you will be prosecuted.
Why is the taking a picture illegal?
Is that an effort to stop the production of fake in-person ballots?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:47 am
stessier wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:39 am I don't think we have a specific thread for this yet.

The idea is to prevent people from selling their vote (as it is assumed the buyer would want proof of how one voted).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am The idea is to prevent people from selling their vote (as it is assumed the buyer would want proof of how one voted).
Yeah, we certainly don't want to have money influencing an election. :lol:

But seriously, I hadn't thought of that specific scenario. That's interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am

The idea is to prevent people from selling their vote (as it is assumed the buyer would want proof of how one voted).
Glad I asked! I hadn’t thought of that at all.

And, hilarious Smoove, I had the same exact thought.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:17 am
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am The idea is to prevent people from selling their vote (as it is assumed the buyer would want proof of how one voted).
Yeah, we certainly don't want to have money influencing an election. :lol:
LOL and :(
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am

I would love to see someone take vote money then doctor the ballot picture to show the opposite of what they voted.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So here we are on election eve. What I'm wondering is how the Repugnicans will try to steal elections that they lose, by which I mean the mechanism. For the presidential election the fudging of electors is how they plan to do it. But for the midterms there are no such electors. What is their despicable plan?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm volunteering as a poll monitor in NH, as I've done the past few elections. It's important work, but goddamn am I not looking forward to it. NH's poll hours are 5:30 am to 9:00 pm, so I'm going to be there that whole time, which also means leaving Boston a little after 4 am.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:39 pm I'm volunteering as a poll monitor in NH, as I've done the past few elections. It's important work, but goddamn am I not looking forward to it. NH's poll hours are 5:30 am to 9:00 pm, so I'm going to be there that whole time, which also means leaving Boston a little after 4 am.
Props to you.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:22 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:39 pm I'm volunteering as a poll monitor in NH, as I've done the past few elections. It's important work, but goddamn am I not looking forward to it. NH's poll hours are 5:30 am to 9:00 pm, so I'm going to be there that whole time, which also means leaving Boston a little after 4 am.
Props to you.
I had no idea you could be a poll monitor in a state you don't live in! That's awesome, though!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:33 pm So here we are on election eve. What I'm wondering is how the Repugnicans will try to steal elections that they lose, by which I mean the mechanism. For the presidential election the fudging of electors is how they plan to do it. But for the midterms there are no such electors. What is their despicable plan?
Tomorrow it will be about intimidating in-person voters with physical presence or (more commonly) misinformation across different media.

After the polls close, the push will begin to invalidate mail-in votes, which (in some cases) can't even begin to be counted until that point. Expect talk casting suspicion on "late vote dumps" (which are really nothing more than mail-in votes being counted and reported in batches).

Nearly everywhere, there will be claims of voter fraud backed up by the full weight of right-wing-funded legal and media support. Expect these to require wearying weeks of processing and refutation. We'll all grow tired of it, as we're supposed to.

Remember that the point, everywhere and always, isn't actually to produce a counter-narrative of an alternative accurate vote count (although it might couch itself in that language). The point is to insinuate that voting itself, as a process, is inherently unreliable. This makes everything easier for Authoritarians in the future.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And don't forget refusing to concede, making sure to bloviate how a full recount of "legal votes" will be necessary, followed by lawsuits.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:08 pm And don't forget refusing to concede, making sure to bloviate how a full recount of "legal votes" will be necessary, followed by lawsuits.
The lawsuits have already begun as GOP voter suppression efforts are underway.
In Pennsylvania, the state Supreme Court has agreed with the Republican National Committee that election officials should not count ballots on which the voter neglected to put a date on the outer envelope — even in cases when the ballots arrive before Election Day. Thousands of ballots have been set aside as a result, enough to swing a close race.
Maybe the summary isn't doing it justice but I can't parse the PA Supreme Court position on these ballots. What is the purpose of the date on the outer ballot? What is the case to exclude them when they come before election day? This is a fundamental right and it would make sense to interpret the way that includes the maximized set of legitimate ballots.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You didn’t follow instructions. Same as the old southern voting registration tests.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What does a red wave look like?

The House historically shifts by about 20 seats in midterms. If the GOP gains substantially more, that's a wave.

The Senate is still a tossup. If Republicans take it by more than one seat, that's arguably a wave, especially if paired with a big House gain.

If they fall short of these metrics then the Dems did better-than-expected, even if they still lose.

That's how it works in my mind, which admittedly just makes stuff up sometimes.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:08 pm And don't forget refusing to concede, making sure to bloviate how a full recount of "legal votes" will be necessary, followed by lawsuits.
Season 1 sucked, and I'm not looking forward to Season 2. That said, it wouldn't be all bad if it features another press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping. Is there any way we can make that happen?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:40 pm You didn’t follow instructions. Same as the old southern voting registration tests.
Right. I actually did some reading and hoped to find it was more than that. The Democrats filed a suit treating it as such last night.
Some of Pennsylvania's largest counties scrambled Monday to help voters fix mail-in ballots that have fatal flaws such as incorrect dates or missing signatures on the envelopes used to send them in, bringing about confusion and legal challenges in the battleground state on the eve of the election.

Elections officials in Philadelphia and Allegheny County, which includes Pittsburgh, announced measures they were taking in response to state Supreme Court rulings in recent days that said mail-in ballots may not be counted if they lack accurate handwritten dates on the exterior envelopes.

Ahead of Tuesday's midterms, more than a million mail-in and absentee ballots have already been returned in Pennsylvania, with Democrats far more likely than Republicans to vote by mail. The numbers are large enough that they might matter in a close race, such as the contest between Democrat John Fetterman and Republican Mehmet Oz that could determine majority control of the U.S. Senate.

A new federal lawsuit over the envelope dates was filed Monday in Pittsburgh federal court by the national congressional and senatorial Democratic campaign organizations, two Democratic voters and Fetterman's U.S. Senate campaign. They sued county boards of election across the state, arguing that throwing out ballots that lack proper envelope dates would violate a provision in the 1964 U.S. Civil Rights Act that says people can't be kept from voting based on what the lawsuit calls “needless technical requirements.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:17 am Season 1 sucked, and I'm not looking forward to Season 2. That said, it wouldn't be all bad if it features another press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping. Is there any way we can make that happen?
Legitimately my favorite moment of S1; I don't think it will ever be topped. Happy 2 year anniversary (yesterday) to those that celebrate!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Today is the day Democracy dies.

This election will put in place those who will enforce the "rules" in 2024. It will only take a few Mark Finichems and Kari Lakes in the right place to put Trump back in office in 2024 no matter the actual vote count and it looks like plenty of election deniers are going to get elected because of high gas prices and worldwide inflation.

We're a country of stupid, stupid people and sometimes I think we get the government we deserve.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:09 am
Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:17 am Season 1 sucked, and I'm not looking forward to Season 2. That said, it wouldn't be all bad if it features another press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping. Is there any way we can make that happen?
Legitimately my favorite moment of S1; I don't think it will ever be topped. Happy 2 year anniversary (yesterday) to those that celebrate!
While Four Seasons Landscaping is a truly great moment in political comedy, Giuliani has given us so much more than that.

We've got the flatulence skit. The melting hair dye skit. And who could forget Rudy bringing us new comic talent in the form of the hilarious Mellissa Carone.

Why Rudy doesn't have an emmy for best comedy yet is beyond me.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think he stole the last season of Arrested Development from the writers and used their script. So the AD show runners ad libbed while Giuliani made history.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exodor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:41 am Today is the day Democracy dies.

This election will put in place those who will enforce the "rules" in 2024. It will only take a few Mark Finichems and Kari Lakes in the right place to put Trump back in office in 2024 no matter the actual vote count and it looks like plenty of election deniers are going to get elected because of high gas prices and worldwide inflation.

We're a country of stupid, stupid people and sometimes I think we get the government we deserve.
Oh we've got a large helping of stupid for sure. But I think it stands to reasons it's hard. We're often getting the government we didn't vote for. It's gerrymandered. It's suppressed. It's constantly obstructed. It's non-proportional (no it's not a feature - it's a 18th century compromise to avoid the question of slavery!) Or that for years public policy has been divorced from election results anyway. There are many drivers but people do have a right to be upset. Unfortunately each cycle of lashing out at the people in power has led us here. Our government has been in decline for a long-time. We're just getting into the endgame now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Voter turnout in Mass. is expected to be the lowest percentage since reliable records were kept in 1948. With no competitive races, it's been blissfully boring.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:33 am Voter turnout in Mass. is expected to be the lowest percentage since reliable records were kept in 1948. With no competitive races, it's been blissfully boring.
Did my part and voted for Kodos today. No line in my voting precinct in the Commonwealth and received the coveted I voted sticker. :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In person voting AAR.

First the positive. There must have been a 20% masked populace working and floating in and out. That is by far the most masked concentration of people I can remember.

Then... I need to kick myself for not voting absentee because I was absent minded and did not learn about the hosts of elected judicial. I had no idea how to vote them and left any justice I didn't know (almost all of them) blank. I hate myself right now.

Also... related to my own prejudice established in another thread. One of the poll workers was wearing a "We the people" TShirt and was loudly ranting about how the proposals were too complicated and need to be read clearly. This is Religious Right speak for "I am anti RvW and you need to know about it and vote against proposal 3."

Also... related to my own prejudice established in another thread. My walk to the polls is about a 3 mile round trip and a one I do not normally walk. 50 YO men walking by schools with regularity is verboten. On that walk there were five vehicles pulled in their driveways blocking the sidewalk. Of those five 3 were hanging US flags. Of the two that weren't, one was charging an RV (still not an excuse) and the other's vehicle had black and white flag for a front bumper plate and lawn sign that read "Bikers forTRUMP 2024"

I need to remind myself to vote absentee next time to really make sure I vote the way I mean to.
I need to remind myself to vote absentee next time to really make sure I vote the way I mean to.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's definitely one of things I've learned for my fraudcrime mail voting in NJ - being able to sit at my computer and research the candidates on the ballot for the small local/county races has been invaluable.

There's some random reporting about issues in NJ at various polling stations (problems with machines) and one entire county that is having issues, but nothing out of the norm from what usually happens. And yet there are people on local social media spamming phone numbers to call if you see problems while voting - in my county of 93% white, GOP outnumbering Democrats 2:1, etc... :roll:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We voted at the library by the school yesterday. Easy peasy.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m in a similarly foul mood today anticipating bad news this evening and in the coming days (weeks, months . . .).

But I think calling people “stupid” if they vote because of gas prices and inflation is misguided. In the end, it’s great and all that we can sit around OO and post ad nauseam about threats to democracy, but there’s a definite elitist and condescending streak in calling out others not similarly motivated. To many of those who vote based on fears of inflation or gas prices or economic insecurity, those are the biggest issues they are facing. Calling them stupid because they’re not prioritizing “saving democracy” is counter productive and also ignores the fact that the Democrats have done a shitty job at meeting them where they are and addressing the concerns they actually have.

I listened to The Daily yesterday. It was a long episode about the Fetterman/Oz race and how Democrats have lost the type of white PA blue collar, union worker that used to be one of their core demographics. They interviewed a bunch of these people in Scranton and other small PA towns, far away from Philly. To a one, none of them were really concerned about “saving democracy.” They were concerned about their jobs and making it from paycheck to paycheck. Some of them were also focused on culture war issues and had bought the line that the Dems are out to destroy their culture.

To me, if you want to attack the culture warriors as stupid and small-minded, that’s richly deserved. But those making their votes based on economic insecurity don’t deserve to be condescended to and called “stupid.” It’s not that they’re right that the GOP asshats are going to make things better for them, but whatever message the Dems have on the economy is just not getting through.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Done. I could only get two of four people in my house to vote. One said it was too much hassle, another simply didn't care.
:grund: There were... five? unopposed Republicans on the ballot.

Of course, nobody I voted for has any chance of winning, but still.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:00 pm To me, if you want to attack the culture warriors as stupid and small-minded, that’s richly deserved. But those making their votes based on economic insecurity don’t deserve to be condescended to and called “stupid.” It’s not that they’re right that the GOP asshats are going to make things better for them, but whatever message the Dems have on the economy is just not getting through.
I dunno about stupid but voting for the GOP because you think they are going fix the economy and give more economic security to "the working class" isn't grounded in any reason I can see, other than the oil companies openly hate Biden. Maybe I'm the one who's stupid and can't see what the GOP is doing to fix the economy other wanting federal government to spend less on....
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:00 pm

I’m in a similarly foul mood today anticipating bad news this evening and in the coming days (weeks, months . . .).

But I think calling people “stupid” if they vote because of gas prices and inflation is misguided. In the end, it’s great and all that we can sit around OO and post ad nauseam about threats to democracy, but there’s a definite elitist and condescending streak in calling out others not similarly motivated. To many of those who vote based on fears of inflation or gas prices or economic insecurity, those are the biggest issues they are facing. Calling them stupid because they’re not prioritizing “saving democracy” is counter productive and also ignores the fact that the Democrats have done a shitty job at meeting them where they are and addressing the concerns they actually have.
I agree in part. There is a lot of space to debate whether they could have done anything to help but they're long past the point where they needed to adapt to the current situation and they've failed for years to meet the moment. Over and over. Economics issues aren't just gas prices today. The inequality levels we have are behind this and the Democrats could have addressed them and painted Republican economic policy as the cause. But they chose bad tactical path after bad tactical path ignoring the real pain out there.

Where I disagree is being a citizen in a democracy comes with responsibilities too. The sad fact is that it isn't unfair to recognize that the voters are en masse idiots. They are largely unaware of the real issues because they've chosen ignorance over being informed voters. They've decided to buy tickets to the circus instead of rejecting it.
I listened to The Daily yesterday. It was a long episode about the Fetterman/Oz race and how Democrats have lost the type of white PA blue collar, union worker that used to be one of their core demographics. They interviewed a bunch of these people in Scranton and other small PA towns, far away from Philly. To a one, none of them were really concerned about “saving democracy.” They were concerned about their jobs and making it from paycheck to paycheck. Some of them were also focused on culture war issues and had bought the line that the Dems are out to destroy their culture.
In other words, they bought into nativistic misinformation. The democrats could have done a better job to be sure when that ramped up but these people also chose to follow along the trail of slime.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Did mail-in and dropped it in a drop box on the way in to work this morning.

Drop box was at the library, but inside the library with the poll workers. There is a library book drop box outside the library with a giant sign on it that says "Library books only, do not drop ballots in this box!" Saw at least one person put their ballot in the book return box.

What bugs me is that my polling place has changed nearly every election. I vote exclusively mail in now because of it. Used to be able to walk across the street. That polling place is still there but we got moved about 5 blocks away. That polling place is still there but we got moved again, even further away. Fortunately I don't have to worry about GOP vote suppression tactics here just yet so mail in is fine. It's still all Dem on Dem ballot shenanigans for now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:08 pm I dunno about stupid but voting for the GOP because you think they are going fix the economy and give more economic security to "the working class" isn't grounded in any reason I can see, other than the oil companies openly hate Biden. Maybe I'm the one who's stupid and can't see what the GOP is doing to fix the economy other wanting federal government to spend less on....
I was driving around this morning listening to my local communist radio program and they were taking calls from the NYC area, doing an unscientific slice of life call in for people that were voting today or had voted this morning. More than one caller from NYC said they were voting for the GOP candidate for governor because the Democrats didn't do anything about the anti-Asian violence that's been a significant problem for years in the greater NYC area. Of course it was pointed out that the anti-Asian violence really ramped up in the Spring of 2020 after Trump started calling COVID the "China virus" and others then began to repeat it. So voting for the GOP candidate to protest the Democrats "not doing anything" is...a bold move.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

So, having run the numbers, it seems to me that if the Democratic candidates get more votes than the Republican candidates in a majority of the races, things should be fine.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's nice and easy voting in Colorado, I dropped off my ballots this weekend using the drop-off box 2 minutes from my house.

One coworker went to vote in person today because she was taking her daughter to vote for the first time and wanted it to be an in-person experience. I think she's in Colorado Springs. She came back and said the lines weren't long at all. Another coworker is in New Orleans. She let us know she will be out this morning standing in line to vote. We are not expecting her back any time soon...

The dev manager is in Canada. He couldn't understand either the concept of "long lines to vote" or why people would do it.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Fireball wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:43 pm So, having run the numbers, it seems to me that if the Democratic candidates get more votes than the Republican candidates in a majority of the races, things should be fine.
Or, in the words of the late, great John Madden, “at the end of the game the team with the most points on the board is going to win.” :D
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:12 pm Where I disagree is being a citizen in a democracy comes with responsibilities too. The sad fact is that it isn't unfair to recognize that the voters are en masse idiots. They are largely unaware of the real issues because they've chosen ignorance over being informed voters. They've decided to buy tickets to the circus instead of rejecting it.
Of course, circuses are not exactly new. When you took me to task the other day for focusing on the unfixable, I think you were right. But if you're proposing that the problem here is that voters are generally uninformed and fixated on the short term, I think you may be doing the same thing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Live from SC - we've had 20% of our precinct vote so far (655 votes) and reportedly another 20% voted early. Historic turnout for a midterm is 40%. Be interesting to see what the afternoon holds.