2022 Midterm Election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: 2022 Midterm Election

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:06 am Now on to the real story. HUNTER BIDEN
It's unbelievably entirely about Avenatti. Not even a mention of the race tonight. The ticker has the outcome running at the bottom so it's not like they are outright burying it. But still it's all about using Avenatti's sentencing as a focal point to distract and spin some tale how yet again the liberal media was bamboozled by a lying scumbag. Forget that his client truly had pertinent information about the President. And worse it's just a disgusting litany of crass jokes about sex workers. It's a sleazy misogyny fest and it's crazy they do this to launder the reputation of a man who just called to suspend the constitution. I think we should hold off on the Murdoch has it in for Trump stories for a few minutes.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 pm I mean the Senate is 100 percent his fault. This was an easy win and he forced in shitty candidates in every single area. Any big race he fronted lost. Not a banner day in Marlogo.
He saved our state. Our shitty GOP had a reasonable chance of winning and then being subservient to him, but he hand picked all the key losers. Not to mention his Activist Supreme Court motivated a reactionary vote on top of that. *whew!*
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 pm Yes if you look across the country people are done with with Trump's nonsense. They are totally up FOR nonsense just not his. I really think he's done. They only put up with his shit as it was winning.
It looks that way to this biased observer, too. Walker's defeat is another loss for trump the loser and the GOP is done genuflecting, even if most of its voters aren't.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:56 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:55 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:39 pm You should watch a sports match with our father. "This team sucks. Why did they do that. Are they ever good?" :)
Wait, your dad is an Eagles fan, too?
It's even less rational. He talks about the Giants and Mets this way. The Giants were great for many years until Reese bungled them. The Mets. Well they are the Mets. :)

But those are "factish"-like opinions and the "facts" do not matter!
Hold up: Are you two brothers?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup...And people call me negative! ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:19 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 pm Yes if you look across the country people are done with with Trump's nonsense. They are totally up FOR nonsense just not his. I really think he's done. They only put up with his shit as it was winning.
It looks that way to this biased observer, too. Walker's defeat is another loss for trump the loser and the GOP is done genuflecting, even if most of its voters aren't.

I mean, it's a loss for the US. He got like 49% of the vote. It's entirely absurd.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:38 am

I mean, it's a loss for the US. He got like 49% of the vote. It's entirely absurd.
Thanks. I was holding off on observing on this truth otherwise be labeled "negative". :)

Still, if only I had a dollar (damn you inflation!) for every time I heard that Trump was finished.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Phase 2 of Trump MAGA starts when his supporters are backed into the corner. It's as dangerous as Phase 1.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 am

Thanks. I was holding off on observing on this truth otherwise be labeled "negative". :)

Still, if only I had a dollar (damn you inflation!) for every time I heard that Trump was finished.
Trump's power was his ability to pull in the reluctant voters. He has lost that. It was what kept the GOP servile to him and allowed him to dominate them the way he did. He still has his little rabid base but that base is no where near the size it used to be and it is not enough to carry victory. Unless he finds a way to rehab his image he will simply continue to become more and more irrelevant. Question is if his money is enough to help him maintain enough relevance long enough to avoid legal repercussions for his actions.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:18 am Phase 2 of Trump MAGA starts when his supporters are backed into the corner. It's as dangerous as Phase 1.
I think it is more dangerous in terms of open conflict and violence but less dangerous in terms of dismantling Democracy. DeSantis is a greater threat there now imo.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Remus West wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:21 am
malchior wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:04 am

Trump's power was his ability to pull in the reluctant voters. He has lost that. It was what kept the GOP servile to him and allowed him to dominate them the way he did. He still has his little rabid base but that base is no where near the size it used to be and it is not enough to carry victory. Unless he finds a way to rehab his image he will simply continue to become more and more irrelevant. Question is if his money is enough to help him maintain enough relevance long enough to avoid legal repercussions for his actions.
They put up with his nonsense because people that were backed by him were winning left and right. This election he lost them two Gov spots and ALL the senate seats they could of flipped. He's got some weird magical pull on people, but people hate losing and he's doing a lot of it now. I actually 100 percent think he's done.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:29 amThey put up with his nonsense because people that were backed by him were winning left and right. This election he lost them two Gov spots and ALL the senate seats they could of flipped. He's got some weird magical pull on people, but people hate losing and he's doing a lot of it now. I actually 100 percent think he's done.
I think people vastly overestimate how strategic the base voter's thinking is. They've also been in large numbers convinced these elections are all rigged/stolen which dampens the impact of losses. In any case, the establishment folks (mostly privately) hate Trump but they aren't in control of the GOP. That doesn't mean Trump can't lose control of the base but if he doesn't all this math goes out the door.

Big picture, he also wields control because he is a major risk for going independent and shattering the GOP. The GOP knows this. He is a risk for a whole host of different reasons as well. Someone might say that not good for the GOP at all. That's true but it's also a source of systemic instability.

In any case, we narrowly avoided disasters by the skin of our teeth and people are heaving a huge sigh of relief. That's fine and all but people need to be serious and realize this threat isn't over. And Trump isn't the end of the threat either.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:18 am Phase 2 of Trump MAGA starts when his supporters are backed into the corner. It's as dangerous as Phase 1.
Agreed. He's made their will to violence to public and directed it. Now it's out in the open. Fuck your Freelings. Fuck Joe Biden. Let's Go Brandon. Black and White Flags. Don't Tread on Me. Guns and God. God and Country. The Groomers. I'm not traditionally conservative.

I wasn't as concerned when I thought they were a much smaller group. Now it's existential. I still try not to spend too much stress dwelling on it other than to resist it whenever up against it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All this talk of bases, Trump, et al is great, but it's ancillary. Again, a candidate who was wholly unqualified to be within a country mile of any elected office received 49% of the vote for US Senator. Remove Trump from the equation entirely and this is still an embarrassment of the highest order.

We're fucked.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:50 am All this talk of bases, Trump, et al is great, but it's ancillary. Again, a candidate who was wholly unqualified to be within a country mile of any elected office received 49% of the vote for US Senator. Remove Trump from the equation entirely and this is still an embarrassment of the highest order.

We're fucked.
This was my commentary with Kari Lake as well. Her relevant experience? Reading from a teleprompter. She also is an unashamed MAGAt election denier. She got 49.7% of the vote to run a US state. We could list these all out. It's great they mostly broke in one direction but this threat is real. Especially when the losers don't believe they really lost.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As much as you try to harsh my mellow:

WARNOCK DEFEATS WALKER
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They won senate elections in freaking Georgia what 3 times in a row? I mean I get where you guys are coming from but I don't think it's that bad. People vote for party. They could put a freaking poodle up there and it would be close in states like Georgia and Arizona.

In PA for Gov the dude got steamrolled. Because it's not a dead red state.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:00 pmIn PA for Gov the dude got steamrolled. Because it's not a dead red state.
Sorta. He was probably one of the worst candidates for a major office in modern times. And I don't mean his viewpoints which were certainly abhorrent. He didn't act like he was trying to even try to get the job. He won the nomination without putting out any effort and essentially went from there. He didn't go out on the trail. He didn't raise any money. He ran almost no tv/radio ads. The only whiff of exceptional we saw there was in how ridiculously non-competitive that race was compared to Fetterman/Oz. That ended up actually again being fairly close. It is not hard to postulate that if a competent GOP candidate had run for governor in PA that person might have helped pulled Oz up over Fetterman.
In the same spot where he spoke to thousands of people at a raucous State Capitol rally demanding an end to pandemic restrictions in April 2020, Doug Mastriano appeared on Saturday before a crowd of just a few dozen — about half of whom were volunteers for his ragtag campaign for governor of Pennsylvania.

He is being heavily outspent by his Democratic rival, has had no television ads on the air since May, has chosen not to interact with the state’s news media in ways that would push his agenda, and trails by double digits in reputable public polling and most private surveys.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The lesson should be "cultists gonna cult". I don't expect it to be better in 2024.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 am As much as you try to harsh my mellow:

WARNOCK DEFEATS WALKER
I'm with you - this is great news, even if the margin was closer than one would have liked. If you had told me going into the midterms that the Democrats would *gain* a seat and keep House losses low, I would have been elated.

Of course, we still have the enormous problem of an extremely sick Republican Party that endangers our democracy. But we should still celebrate our wins when we get them.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Georgia is becoming a purple state -- thanks to Atlanta, I assume. Here's hoping the Dems can methodically turn it blue over the next few election cycles.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:58 pm Georgia is becoming a purple state -- thanks to Atlanta, I assume. Here's hoping the Dems can methodically turn it blue over the next few election cycles.
Sorta. All the mainstream people won handily. I don't know if the case for purple is that strong. It seems that non-MAGAt would win easily there.

One takeaway is that where the deplorables focus their ire will tend to distort towards grotesques that seem to drive away about 10% of the vote. That's impactful but it also paints a target to pick someone terrible who fits in the middle of that range. Edit: A good model would be a Youngkin who leaned on the culture stuff but stayed away from the outright Trump-y election denial stuff. Yet has gone on to have terrible Trump-y moments in office. That is where I fear things will normalize towards.

This was the best laid out example on this point; the actuals came in at middle @ D~+3.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:58 pm Georgia is becoming a purple state -- thanks to Atlanta, I assume. Here's hoping the Dems can methodically turn it blue over the next few election cycles.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So whats happened to Biden removing marijuana from the schedule drug list? Making it legal?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 am
Agreed. He's made their will to violence to public and directed it. Now it's out in the open. Fuck your Freelings. Fuck Joe Biden. Let's Go Brandon. Black and White Flags. Don't Tread on Me. Guns and God. God and Country. The Groomers. I'm not traditionally conservative.

I wasn't as concerned when I thought they were a much smaller group. Now it's existential. I still try not to spend too much stress dwelling on it other than to resist it whenever up against it.
If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, your family was all in on Trump. Are they still backing him?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am So whats happened to Biden removing marijuana from the schedule drug list? Making it legal?
He can't. Congress has to pave a road for it. Instead he did what was within his power; he pardoned federal simple possession convictions en masse and directed his agencies to review it's schedule 1 status. IIRC the agencies however are generally handcuffed by Congress about what sort of research is allowable and funded. He gave it a push and we will have to see where it goes from here.

White House Press Release
As I often said during my campaign for President, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana. Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit. Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while white and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.

Today, I am announcing three steps that I am taking to end this failed approach.

First, I am announcing a pardon of all prior Federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana. I have directed the Attorney General to develop an administrative process for the issuance of certificates of pardon to eligible individuals. There are thousands of people who have prior Federal convictions for marijuana possession, who may be denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities as a result. My action will help relieve the collateral consequences arising from these convictions.

Second, I am urging all Governors to do the same with regard to state offenses. Just as no one should be in a Federal prison solely due to the possession of marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either.

Third, I am asking the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Attorney General to initiate the administrative process to review expeditiously how marijuana is scheduled under federal law. Federal law currently classifies marijuana in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, the classification meant for the most dangerous substances. This is the same schedule as for heroin and LSD, and even higher than the classification of fentanyl and methamphetamine – the drugs that are driving our overdose epidemic.

Finally, even as federal and state regulation of marijuana changes, important limitations on trafficking, marketing, and under-age sales should stay in place.

Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana. It’s time that we right these wrongs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:16 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 am

If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, your family was all in on Trump. Are they still backing him?
My direct family were never all in on Trump. They were and are all in on GOP propaganda and against Biden and previously all democrats often symbolized by Clinton and Pelosi. They don't back him now, but if he becomes the nominee they will. The extended family weren't talking Trump during Turkey Day. They were all speaking DJMusk speak. "I'm not republican or democrat" but let me tell you about how evil the Groomers are and Whitmer is screwing up the state and how the current government caused inflation and no one wants to work and how bad all Democrat led objective is. No mention of election of election tampering, though. So that's something.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:22 pm
Sorta. All the mainstream people won handily. I don't know if the case for purple is that strong. It seems that non-MAGAt would win easily there.

One takeaway is that where the deplorables focus their ire will tend to distort towards grotesques that seem to drive away about 10% of the vote. That's impactful but it also paints a target to pick someone terrible who fits in the middle of that range. Edit: A good model would be a Youngkin who leaned on the culture stuff but stayed away from the outright Trump-y election denial stuff. Yet has gone on to have terrible Trump-y moments in office. That is where I fear things will normalize towards.

This was the best laid out example on this point; the actuals came in at middle @ D~+3.

You are seeing it all over the world even in state and province elections in places like Australia. In a recent state level election the rural party swept out the independents who held state seats by finally putting up quality candidates. And remarkably people are starting to expect locals not just high profile names parachuted in.

People are finally waking up that democracy with candidates like Walker is leaning too much toward Idiocracy at best and a Putinist “managed democracy” at worst.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Her legal team from her last lawsuit was sanctioned by the judge for the frivolous bsture of that lawsuit:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Grifman wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:46 am bsture
I don't know if that was an accident, because "n" and "a" are next to "b" and "s", or if it was intentional brilliance. But I love it as a succinct way of saying "bullshit nature". :wub:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC reporting McCarthy ready to shutdown government at the end of this week so the GOP controlled house can have a majority for the next spending bill. So this is now a thing. Oddly, the Senate is pushing hard to get the spending bill in.

Is there a Fuck McCarthy thread that I've missed somewhere?

Link from last week on mounting concerns

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/376 ... -mccarthy/

This dynamic may prove decisive in getting a budget deal by the end of December, even though conservatives led by Sens. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) are pushing for a stopgap spending bill that would fund the government at current levels until Republicans take control of the House next year.
Screw them too.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Walker's loss rests solely on the GOP and their constant telephone harassment of anyone who makes a donation to a candidate. I'd have donated, but the RNC would be calling me every week begging for more during the next four years if I did. :snooty: I'm sure others feel the same way. The NRA does the same crap. :snooty:

Democrats are lucky, they have mostly BIG donors who they treat much better.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:51 am CNBC reporting McCarthy ready to shutdown government at the end of this week so the GOP controlled house can have a majority for the next spending bill. So this is now a thing. Oddly, the Senate is pushing hard to get the spending bill in.
He is fighting off an insurgency in the Housecaucus that threatens his chances at Speaker of House. He probably (correctly IMO) calculates that causing this sort of ruckus is good for him.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

em2nought wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 am Walker's loss rests solely on the GOP and their constant telephone harassment of anyone who makes a donation to a candidate. I'd have donated, but the RNC would be calling me every week begging for more during the next four years if I did. :snooty: I'm sure others feel the same way. The NRA does the same crap. :snooty:

Sure. That was *definitely* the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 am Walker's loss rests solely on the GOP and their constant telephone harassment of anyone who makes a donation to a candidate. I'd have donated, but the RNC would be calling me every week begging for more during the next four years if I did. :snooty: I'm sure others feel the same way. The NRA does the same crap. :snooty:

I donated a token amount to Obama back in 2008. I have had nonstop email and then later texts and calls ever since. And it expanded from democrat to GOP. Never again. I sometimes debate changing my number and primary email just to reduce political spam.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:23 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:51 am CNBC reporting McCarthy ready to shutdown government at the end of this week so the GOP controlled house can have a majority for the next spending bill. So this is now a thing. Oddly, the Senate is pushing hard to get the spending bill in.
He is fighting off an insurgency in the Housecaucus that threatens his chances at Speaker of House. He probably (correctly IMO) calculates that causing this sort of ruckus is good for him.
Seems like he has no ability to shutdown the government until the new majority comes in, right? So wouldn't this be mostly theatre?
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:24 am

Sure. That was *definitely* the problem.
OMG that’s hilarious. It does give us a lot of insight into the way a Trump voter’s mind works though.

Focus on everything and anything but the real issue when you’re on the wrong side of something. My Dad does this constantly.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:29 am

I donated a token amount to Obama back in 2008. I have had nonstop email and then later texts and calls ever since. And it expanded from democrat to GOP. Never again. I sometimes debate changing my number and primary email just to reduce political spam.
I thought your party was actually smarter than that.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:32 am
malchior wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:23 am
Seems like he has no ability to shutdown the government until the new majority comes in, right? So wouldn't this be mostly theatre?
I think his options are limited to control the calendar. What's more interesting is that the Senate leadership sees this and is sort of low key freaking out and willing to make deals to avoid a financial meltdown. What a way to run the world's wealthiest nation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not my party. I dream of a day I'm not forced to vote the way I do. I've been conservative leaning voting exclusively democrat for getting on two decades and I'm still unhappy about it.