2022 Midterm Election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: 2022 Midterm Election

Post by malchior »

I would love to hear why people think this.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because the Democrats have been in complete control since 2020 and there's still crime, inflation and immigration. Duh.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm I really don’t understand how people didn’t see this coming.
Anybody who looked both ways before crossing the street saw it coming. Only those actively not paying attention are surprised.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Advertising and posturing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quick preview about how shitty this will get.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ugh. Educashun in SC is gonna go from bad to badder.

We just elected a real doozie to Superintendent of Education. Wife is already talking about ‘serious options’ for remaining two in school.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, at least Colorado's still sane.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Yesli Vega, Hung Cao, and Allen Fung all lose.

So it's not all bad out there.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Fox just called Texas for Abbott. No surprise there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm Rubio was supposedly competitive. The hope right now is Florida is an outlier. If it isn't then pain.
I'm still expecting pain, but FL doesn't really bother me that much. They generally love DeSantis down there from what I can tell, and I'm not surprised that enthusiasm for DeSantis is helping GOP numbers is FL.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe we'll finally see that GOP health care plan.
malchior

Post by malchior »

PA is looking OK. Shapiro called by some networks which isn't a surprise. Fetterman is running ahead of recent trend in blue collar areas.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Democrats have some real problems:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

In other good news Boebert might lose tonight. That'd be delightful.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kurth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:05 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm Rubio was supposedly competitive. The hope right now is Florida is an outlier. If it isn't then pain.
I'm still expecting pain, but FL doesn't really bother me that much. They generally love DeSantis down there from what I can tell, and I'm not surprised that enthusiasm for DeSantis is helping GOP numbers is FL.
No one I voted for in Florida got elected. Gee, we used to be a swing state... :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

From Nate Cohen:
This is not the night the Republicans wanted. The party is underperforming most everywhere outside of Florida. Where voting has ended in Pennsylvania, Fetterman is faring well. Democrats have even started to improve their chance of holding the House.
Hope remains.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Luria concedes to Kiggans. Odd. That race hadn't been called yet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cannot believe so many disciple people win. Makes me wish I could move to a country without them that isn't so evil and dumb.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:12 pm I would love to hear why people think this.

I’m not sure why you don’t understand this. It may not be true but perception is reality.

1). Republicans have generally been seen as “tougher” on crime. “Defund the police” is attributed to Democrats, and Democrats are perceived as supporting liberalizing changes on cash bail, and also seen as supportive of the “BLM riots”.

2). Inflation arose under Democrats so they are going to get blamed for it. That’s just how it works. Democrats are also perceived as big spenders which presumably leads to inflation.

3). Illegal immigration, arrests at border, etc are all up under Biden. Democrats are perceived as more concerned about treating illegal immigrants “fairly” but not as concerned about actually stopping it.

Please note that I am not saying any of the above is necessarily true, or in some cases even logical, or that Democrats are wrong about some of these positions, but this is how people think and perceive the two parties.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just saw green saying we need to lower government spending when its her and her ilk that always spending tons of money and raise the deficit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No surprises in Mass. -- solid blue all the way down. Maura Healey, who will be the nation's first openly lesbian governor, is trouncing trumper Geoff Diehl (boo, hiss) by almost 30 points. Ballot Q3 (fiddling with arcane liquor license rules) is raising some eyebrows by losing, but few people understood it and it wouldn't have affected consumers anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like all republicans around here.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Night is shifting towards Democrats in a big way. Warner is definitely getting a runoff, and may just win outright. Fetterman looking strong.

Sure, Republicans will probably still take the House, but barely.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:16 pm Maybe we'll finally see that GOP health care plan.
We already know what that is: good healthcare for the top 1% let the bottom 99% die.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My state voted for everything horrible from people to amendments. They voted to allow priests and ministers to run for office or be appointed to judiciary positions too.

Our state is already behind is time by 20 years. This just makes it worse. No pot no healthcare no nothing.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Stacey Abrams concedes. Not a close race. And JD Vance won?!? Blerg.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watching TV results now - 74% in, Underwood 55%, Trump's Dingleberry 45%.

Duckworth crushed her opponent and has declared victory.

Both of them have a track record of being everything you'd want in a congressperson. They both ran positive campaigns, while the
Republicans focused on fear mongering.

Alexi Giannoulias, former Bulls player, became only the second Secretary of State in my voting lifetime. Jesse White held the office forever.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jesse Jackson's son also won his congressional district.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:03 am
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:12 pm I would love to hear why people think this.

I’m not sure why you don’t understand this. It may not be true but perception is reality.
Oh don't misunderstand - I get it. For me exit polls are nice and all but they are frustrating as well. I'd like to see people actually challenged about why they believe what they believe. I can't even imagine the answers we'd get if for example they were asked what policy makes them think the GOP is going to be better on inflation.
Please note that I am not saying any of the above is necessarily true, or in some cases even logical, or that Democrats are wrong about some of these positions, but this is how people think and perceive the two parties.
Right. Which is all the more interesting because the Republicans long ago stop pretending they had policies to offer. We're several years into the Republicans pretty much in constant attack mode. Yet it often works.
malchior

Post by malchior »

One of Thiel's New Right fascists won (Vance). It was Ohio so not a total shock but not a good day for democracy. It looks like his other American psycho Masters is going to lose which is little relief. Still the fascist caucus is net +1 now.

Edit: Zeldin likely losing in NY is a relief too. It was looking close for awhile and that would have been a bad look.
dfs

Post by dfs »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:26 am One of Thiel's New Right fascists won (Vance). It was Ohio so not a total shock but not a good day for democracy. It looks like his other American psycho Masters is going to lose which is little relief. Still the fascist caucus is net +1 now.
FWIW that was a red seat that Vance won so while it's disappointing it doesn't actually give the goons more votes in the senate. Rob Portman wasn't ever going to vote with the blues.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sean Casten (D) just gave one of the most sobering victory speeches I ever heard. His district is adjacent to mine, so of consequence to me. But damn, you'd have thought it was concession.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

JB Pritzker won too over Trump's cabana boy and overall shitstain Darren Bailey (race for Illinois governor). Pritzker is someone I have a personal connection with -- I did volunteer work for a non-for-profit school chaired by his sister. Chalk up another in the column of Trump's toxic endorsement.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:25 am
Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:03 am

Oh don't misunderstand - I get it. For me exit polls are nice and all but they are frustrating as well. I'd like to see people actually challenged about why they believe what they believe. I can't even imagine the answers we'd get if for example they were asked what policy makes them think the GOP is going to be better on inflation.
Challenging them doesn't work. Logic and rationality doesn't work. I've seen videos of people trying. Democrats consistently do more for the working class and retirees, yet they are losing those votes. It's all culture war stuff. You can show them all day long what Democrats are doing and what Republicans are not, and it just won't matter.
Right. Which is all the more interesting because the Republicans long ago stop pretending they had policies to offer. We're several years into the Republicans pretty much in constant attack mode. Yet it often works.
Agreed, policy wise the Republicans are largely bankrupt, beyond reducing taxes and drilling for more oil. But that is irrelevant. And yes, attacking, attacking, attacking works. Even if the attacks are false. I'm beginning to believe that Democrats just need to make outrageous false claims about the Republicans because that may be the only way to win. Maybe we need a Democratic QANON.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hobbs is leading Lake in the AZ governors race by a significant amount - 56% vs. 42% with about 50% of the votes in, and Lake leading counties have counted a higher percentage of their vote, so it looks like there are far more outstanding Hobbs votes that are uncounted than Lake votes. We can only hope this holds, I can't stand Lake.

On the other hand, JD Vance won, so that totally sucks.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

dfs wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:37 am
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:26 am One of Thiel's New Right fascists won (Vance). It was Ohio so not a total shock but not a good day for democracy. It looks like his other American psycho Masters is going to lose which is little relief. Still the fascist caucus is net +1 now.
FWIW that was a red seat that Vance won so while it's disappointing it doesn't actually give the goons more votes in the senate.
Sorry if it isn't clear. I was more counting him and commenting that about his status as an actual - fresh out of the wrapper neo-fascist. Sorry "New Right". I wasn't talking about the balance.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »