Marvel Snap (CCG; PC, Mobile)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

AWS260

Re: Marvel Snap (CCG; PC, Mobile)

Post by AWS260 »

Most of the variants I've gotten through gameplay are pixel versions that I don't personally vibe with. I've also randomly gotten this Hulk variant that I quite like:

Enlarge Image

I've spent gold on two variants in the shop. I really like the art on both of these:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m not sure when the next update hits, but if you can get your collection power up over 1,000 by the time it does you’ll get 6,000 of their new currency used to unlock new cards.

Everybody else will get 3,000.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

From the video it sounded like it will be a sliding scale. Anyone over 500 gets some, and as your rank rises you get more because you would have gotten it while leveling up from 500 to wherever you are.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

From what I've seen on reddit, the devs had said the update will happen around the 28th or so. If you are over collection level 500, you get 3000 of the new tokens, but if you're below 500 you also get 3000 tokens upon hitting CL500. You get 6000 tokens if you're over CL1000, so really it just sucks if you're close to CL1000 but not quite there.

Reddit rumor mill says a dev said you can turn off automatic updates on the app to buy yourself another week or so. If you're close to that CL1000 but might not get there when the patch hits, you might want to try it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My win rate with destroy is like 20%, so maybe don't use that. :D I'm in the early 500s though so the competition can be a bit tougher.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Womp womp to me and my ~725 collection level.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It took just over 1,000 gold spent on mission refreshes, but I got my collection level up to 1002 today. Just in time it seems.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LMAO. There's a bundle in the shop for 7500 gold, which is almost $140 CAD.

So uh... the collector's tokens can only be used to buy the featured card in the shop that changes every eight hours? Super lame. You can show unowned cards on the cards screen, but I don't see an option to craft them. Maybe I'm missing something?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Craft the cards? I don’t think that’s a thing.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I recently unlocked Agatha Harkness, who starts in your deck and plays your cards for you. I am gradually realizing that an AI playing random cards may be better at this game than me trying to actually play well.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 pm So uh... the collector's tokens can only be used to buy the featured card in the shop that changes every eight hours? Super lame. You can show unowned cards on the cards screen, but I don't see an option to craft them. Maybe I'm missing something?
You can’t just pick any unowned card and use collectors tokens on it. All you can choose from is the one card at a time that gets featured, and if you don’t have enough tokens yet you can pin it so it doesn’t leave the shop while you save up.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I'm happy for the additional avenue of acquisition but it's not what I was expecting. It's frustrating when the chests aren't even guaranteed to contain card rewards at this collection level, and getting the right cards to finish a deck are literally a dice role. But I guess it's fine for a free game.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:34 pm Yeah, I'm happy for the additional avenue of acquisition but it's not what I was expecting. It's frustrating when the chests aren't even guaranteed to contain card rewards at this collection level, and getting the right cards to finish a deck are literally a dice role. But I guess it's fine for a free game.
FWIW there's a "bad luck" mitigation mechanism for those reward chests. If you haven't gotten a new card in a while, your chances of getting one increase until you get one. I haven't seen specifics on how that works, but basically everyone should more or less have about the same number of cards unlocked if they're the same collection level.

But I agree it feels bad to get to a chest and unlock nothing but booster points. If they want the card unlocks spaced out a lot, fine, but I'd rather see spaced out exact levels I'm going to get new cards instead of preparing for disappointment with each chest I unlock.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel like my eyes have been opened to the should-have-been-obvious strategy that you want to do everything you can to control two locations at the start of turn six, and presuming your opponent doesn't have a phat card that blows up the whole board, force them into an impossible choice.

In other knew, according to Kotaku ( :roll: ) people are pissed that the seasons are so short, as if there isn't a timer displayed in the game. I actually love that seasons are so short for variety's sake. But I agree that the pass cost is way too high for what you get. They report people are also miffed as there are no collection tokens or variants on this season's rewards list, though I do see variants on there (pass only though), so who knows?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lolz. This happened, just before my opponent wisely retreated...

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So I just realized the best way to spend gold is on mission refills.

I'm still chugging away, at CL 1,135. I have all the tools for a Patriot deck (complete with Ultron) that's fun to grind with, and I think most of the pieces of an Ongoing Destroyer deck that I find less fun. Death fills out my destroy deck, but I'm missing other ideal pieces from that deck as well as discard. I have Wong but nothing great to pair with him right now beyond White Tiger. That deck is good but often not enough.

But I've really had it up to here with the random caches and playing against players who have unlocked more key cards. I don't see how I'm going to surpass rank 50. As well, I didn't realize how long it takes to unlock tokens... I'm at 300 with Hela (1000) pinned, but I read it takes weeks if not months of grinding. So while it's better than nothing, the token shop really doesn't seem to be the answer to peoples' complaints.

How much fun is it to get stomped by Leader, Arnim Zola, Gambit, and Hela when you don't have access to those cards yourself? Sometimes I just feel like I'm missing out on getting to play fun decks... like what's the chance I unlock Thanos before 2025? And the shop prices are still ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a whiner. Still enjoy the heck out of this long after I expected to tire of it. But it's getting hard to find competitive decks that feel fresh.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I also have trouble breaking 50, but I haven't had the bad card luck that you apparently have. I've been playing but not much once missions are completed, and I have all those cards you mentioned, minus Thanos. My CL is in the 1200s.

Also agree that the shop costs are nuts. I've started hoarding my gold and will prob spend it on one of the larger packs every few months.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, it occurred to me to hoard gold for stuff like the Sunspot Winter Wonderland pack, but 6,000 gold... that's a lot. And it's more important to try to build my collection through missions in the short term.

I've pulled some nice pool 3 cards, but most of them are situational, niche, or depend on other cards. Like Typhoid Mary, Omega Red, Quake, Mysterio, Jane Foster, etc. But I was really lucky to pull Patriot and Mystique and Ultron.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I heard that the collectors tokens become more prevalent after you finish collecting all of the pool 3 cards.

I’m also missing some key cards that make other decks playable, but I do have a handful of decks that are ok not great. I rotate through them to try and keep the game from becoming too repetitive.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm coming up on CL 1200. Finally pulled Cerebro and have been playing a two-power Cerebro deck. It's fun and wins about half the time, but it's not as consistent or potent as Patriot/Ultron.

Halfway to Hera!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Played much more heavily this past month. Got to CL 1,366, season pass level 68 (without subscribing), and surpassed diamond rank (60), though it was a hell of a fight and I've since fallen back to 57. My poor luck with card pulls has pretty much continued. I did get a Patriot winter variant, but I already had his regular card. (Can you unlock a variant if you don't have the base card?) The only meta decks I can build that I enjoy are Patriot and Cerebro 2, but Patriot seems to be getting countered more often as of late. I'm 100 tokens away from getting Wave in the token shop. (I pulled the pin out of both Helara and Gambit as while they seem more fun to me than Wave, they're more niche.)

I don't know whether I'll play as much in January. Like it's still fun, but it's such a grind and I'm bored without some of the better pool 3 cards. But, it's an easy game to play on the go or while I'm doing something else. Getting the season pass would make it more engaging, but I just can't justify the price. If it were $5, sure. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't make more money if it were a third of the price, but I guess they did the math. But what are you even paying for? Access to one new card ahead of everyone else. A bunch of boosters and gold. A handful of cosmetics. :eusa-think: Dead horse and all that, but these are the gripes I keep coming back to. Sure have had a good time for free, though.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am still enjoying Marvel Snap. I'm not playing quite as much as I was back in November/December, but still churning through missions at a decent clip.

I recently picked up Patriot and have been fiddling with a deck centered on his ability, but I keep coming back to my Dracula/Jubilee/Lockjaw deck when I just want to have fun. It feels great to get Infinaut into play without paying his cost. It's not an amazing deck, but has a decent enough win rate to get me to rank 52 or so in the season that just wrapped up.

Definitely one of my games of the year.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't have Lockjaw or Dracula yet. :cry:

I've been playing with a discard ramp deck for a couple days that's quite fun and I think it may be able to compete too, at least at lower ranks.

Sunspot
Wave
Lady Sif
Jubilee
Ghost Rider
Crossbones
Captain Marvel
Doctor Doom
Odin
She-Hulk
Giganto
The Infinaut

A couple of those are my substitutions for not having ideal cards. I added Leech and I think he's pretty good, but I'm subbing Crossbones because I thought pulling Leech with Jubilee or Ghost Rider was kind of lame. But come to think of it, getting him to activate early is actually really good. And it's unlikely that Sif discards him because there are so many higher cost cards. Amazing to think there's only one 1-cost and no 2-costs, but you just don't need them. And as a result, you often get to play She-Hulk naturally. Maybe I should stick an extra discard card in there. Moon Knight?

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

If you have Gambit, his discard ability is really fun. He's maybe not the most strategic choice, but I enjoy the chaos he brings.

My discard deck is:

Agent 13 (no real reason, just to have another 1-cost card)
Blade
Morbius
Swarm
Wolverine
Gambit
Lady Sif
Black Cat (discards herself!)
Sword Master (what a dumb superhero name)
Ghost Rider
Hela
Apocalypse

If I can play Hela on the last turn, it's pretty awesome. Otherwise it's just OK.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was excited to get Hela and develop my discard deck, but she seems best in a deck that discards only higher-cost cards which I find to be less engaging. On the other hand, the ramp deck only has a single card that discards (Sif), and its purpose is to land a really big card with Ghost Rider, so it's kind of the same idea?

I'm consistently surprised by the variety of decks that are out there. I'd definitely like to see them add additional keywords, but when you think of it a 12-card deck with no dupes isn't much different than Hearthstone's 15x2 or MTG's 15x4. Though those do potentially open up deck building to mechanics involving more deck manipulation.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've never really cottoned to a game with deck construction before, but Marvel Snap is simple enough that even I can sort of wrap my brain around it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow, first time I've ever heard that definition of the word cotton.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finally got Mr. Negative and Sera. Having a lot of fun with Mr. Negative.

May I say how frustrating it is that 90% of the meta decks seem to run Zabu and Silver Surfer though? (I'm a F2P player.) Though I have gotten lucky and pulled She-Hulk and Hellcarrier from pool 4, even though I'm only at CL 1,842.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Only got to around rank 50 this month. I enjoy playing less consistent fun decks (Mr. Negative, ZabuCula, etc.) rather than grinding things out. Sitting at CL 2,263 now. Finally got a lot of the cards I'd been waiting for this month. Hela, Leader (sad it's post-nerf), Human Torch, Dracula, Thor, Sera....

Went ahead and paid for the season pass this season ((got to level 80)) since Zabu seemed essential for most of the high-tier meta decks. Kind of hate how that's the case... they obviously feature powerful, even OP cards in the season pass to get you to pay. I'm hearing rumours Zabu will be nerfed though (not sure if verified) which really burns my buttons. But Silver Surfer is another essential season pass card that hasn't been nerfed yet, so who knows.

I think I may ease off this season though, unless the season pass is really intriguing. Making sure I make the most out of missions is getting tiresome, and some of the really interesting cards still seem nigh unattainable.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I like M.O.D.O.K. as a character, but I'm not enthralled enough by his ability to plunk down the season pass cash this month I don't think. 5-cost, discard your entire hand. Also some Ant-Man/Wasp variants in advance of the new movie.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I had enough gold to pick up the Mr. Negative bundle, and was able to unlock Agatha Harkness from one of the collector's reserves. I'm having a surprisingly good time, considering she plays all of the cards. Sometimes she'll do something frustrating, like play Taskmaster (who copies the power of the last card played) right after playing Green Goblin (-3 power), but most of the time it all works out.

The key I'm finding is to get Electro on the board so that Agatha plays herself on turn 4 or 5. Then I can usually drop magneto or something else on turn 6 and win the game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

msteelers wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:51 pm I had enough gold to pick up the Mr. Negative bundle, and was able to unlock Agatha Harkness from one of the collector's reserves. I'm having a surprisingly good time, considering she plays all of the cards. Sometimes she'll do something frustrating, like play Taskmaster (who copies the power of the last card played) right after playing Green Goblin (-3 power), but most of the time it all works out.

The key I'm finding is to get Electro on the board so that Agatha plays herself on turn 4 or 5. Then I can usually drop magneto or something else on turn 6 and win the game.

Funny, I've had Agatha for ages but have not yet pulled Electro, even though I've been wanting him for at least a month.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I finally finished collecting all of the pool 3 cards, at least until the next series drop. I also managed to pick up Galactus this morning.

Man, what a powerful card. Even without Knull I'm winning a ton of matches. It helps when a lot of people retreat soon after he is played, but even so pairing him with Death is usually enough to win.

And Knull showed up in my shop right after I bought Galactus. I'm out of collector's tokens, but I'll be able to save up and grab him next.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I think I'm getting close to completing my series 3 cards. Hopefully soon.

I've got Master Mold pinned in the token shop now. Not sure what I'm going to do with him, but I love decks that mess with your opponent's lane and hand.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:15 pm I think I'm getting close to completing my series 3 cards. Hopefully soon.

I've got Master Mold pinned in the token shop now. Not sure what I'm going to do with him, but I love decks that mess with your opponent's lane and hand.
He makes Ronan useable since it becomes hard to dump those cards once they are in your hand.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The new patch update is out. It felt like they took a hammer to some cards that weren't a big issue and barely addressed the cards that have been dominating the meta lately.

But I got lucky and pulled Knull from a collector's reserve crate today, so my Galactus deck is stronger than ever!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

After taking a month off, I have no urge whatsoever to return. That's OK; I got a ton of enjoyment out of it for very little investment. But the monetization and grind kind of killed it for me. I know all CCGs will have a big grind, at least for the seasonal rewards. But at least in Hearthstone and Runeterra there are numerous secondary game modes to shake things up. (Not sure if that's part of the roadmap for Marvel Snap or they plan to keep it lean as a mobile game.)

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msteelers wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 pm The new patch update is out. It felt like they took a hammer to some cards that weren't a big issue and barely addressed the cards that have been dominating the meta lately.
The token changes seem nice:
  • get them 4x as fast if you're not done with series 3
  • get one series 3 card for free each month
  • **(their hint: save your tokens for series 4 and 5 cards)
The Aero nerf seems ok. She still seems useful, and now there's a way to play around her if you really don't want a certain card moved.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thank you, Marvel Snap, for teaching me that there is a Marvel character simply named Jeff. Jeff is a land shark.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.