For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Social Media Political Lens

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:30 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:26 am
malchior wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:22 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:07 am Da hell is a co-sister-in-law?
A brother-in-law's wife.
Oh. Never heard that one. Since it's the same number of syllables and I suspect that you made it up, Imma stick with "BIL's wife." :wink:
If I needed to clarify that's what I would say. Otherwise I'd just say sister-in-law.
I'm with Kraken - I've never heard that term before and I don't see how it clarifies anything. Co what?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wut? Oh no someone gave him his phone back.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He says read Matt T.... That guy has used all of my reading time for a lifetime and expended all of his credibility already, so Musk got a click from me to get to the thread plus your embedding and that's all he gets.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:03 pm He says read Matt T.... That guy has used all of my reading time for a lifetime and expended all of his credibility already, so Musk got a click from me to get to the thread plus your embedding and that's all he gets.
It's not like he is making money on clicks. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, Utah is first out of the gate with a bill that will prohibit kids from accessing social media during a specific time period (10:30pm to 6:30am) and require age verification for anyone seeking to use social media at all.

Utah Governor Signs New Laws to Protect Children From the Harms of Social Media Usage
Children and teens in Utah would lose access to social media apps such as TikTok if they don’t have parental consent and face other restrictions under a first-in-the-nation law designed to shield young people from the addictive platforms.

Two laws signed by Republican Gov. Spencer Cox Thursday prohibit kids under 18 from using social media between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., require age verification for anyone who wants to use social media in the state and open the door to lawsuits on behalf of children claiming social media harmed them. Collectively, they seek to prevent children from being lured to apps by addictive features and from having ads promoted to them.
How on earth do they plan to enforce this? Seems like this would be a pretty blatant 1st Amended violation as well. Also, doesn’t this fly directly in the face of the whole “parents rights” issue that they keep howling about in regards to education? Not that hypocrisy matters any more, but still...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The disinformation must flow.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
Twitter CEO Elon Musk poked fun at the New York Times on Sunday, calling the publication “unreadable” after it lost its blue verification badge on his social media platform.

“The real tragedy of @NYTimes is that their propaganda isn’t even interesting,” Musk wrote in a tweet.

“Also, their feed is the Twitter equivalent of diarrhea. It’s unreadable,” Musk added. “They would have far more real followers if they only posted their top articles. Same applies to all publications.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am So, Utah is first out of the gate with a bill that will prohibit kids from accessing social media during a specific time period (10:30pm to 6:30am) and require age verification for anyone seeking to use social media at all.
How very China of them.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And why is Twitter not a ghost town?

It's like a bar where they fired all but one server, the owner is pretending to be the bartender, encourages the regulars to mug people in the bathroom, and anybody whose haircut he doesn't like gets their drink spit in.

And yet, despite the town being full of good bars, every professional in town holds their meetings there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:And why is Twitter not a ghost town?

It's like a bar where they fired all but one server, the owner is pretending to be the bartender, encourages the regulars to mug people in the bathroom, and anybody whose haircut he doesn't like gets their drink spit in.

And yet, despite the town being full of good bars, every professional in town holds their meetings there.
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for why I'm still on there. My podcast has nearly 5,000 Twitter followers built up over 6 years. That's not something I can rebuild overnight. And all those other bars might be good, but nobody actually goes to them.

In short, it's REALLY hard to just uproot and move when nobody can agree where to move, and you have no confidence that your brand will be recognizable at the new place.

As reprehensible a place as I find it nowadays, Twitter is still where most of my connections are. Moving would be essentially starting over from scratch.

It's realy going to take a new player in the market to hit so big that everybody starts flocking en masse, and so far I haven't seen any serious contenders.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can understand that.

But if Twitter continues to be popular under Musk and his insanity, if his business model is proven viable, what's next? What's next for Google, or Facebook, or Microsoft if blatantly abusive policies are acceptable?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The only Twitter I see is here and Slack. Would be fine with me f it went away.

I get that some businesses are built around it and can't bail but it's really the epitome of an evil corporation now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I’m not too worried about other social media platforms following suit. Musk’s business model has been absolutely disastrous. The fact he hasn’t run everyone off of the platform only speaks to how ingrained people were in using it, and the fact there are no serious competitors that do quite what it does.

However, I do get the precedent Musk has set - he’s opened the doors for other crazy billionaires to take over a platform to distribute their personal agenda.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I worry more that crazy billionaires who already own other popular tech (social media only being one example) who have only been kept in check by fear of the public reaction may lose that fear when they see that the reaction to Musk puttered out after a few weeks.

Many large corporations have been steadily pushing the limits of how they can treat people for a while now. We're in an incredibly unethical, abusive era for business in which consumers are already considered expendable, only tolerated as far as is required for profitability.

The Grand Nagus would be proud.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:23 pmThe fact he hasn’t run everyone off of the platform only speaks to how ingrained people were in using it, and the fact there are no serious competitors that do quite what it does.
I think this is right. Mastadon gets close, but its decentralized nature makes it way too complicated for the masses.

I use to check Twitter daily. I followed a lot of sports and news personalities. I've largely stopped going to Twitter since Elon took over, but nothing has stepped in to fill that void.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:28 pm The Hill
Twitter CEO Elon Musk poked fun at the New York Times on Sunday, calling the publication “unreadable” after it lost its blue verification badge on his social media platform.

“The real tragedy of @NYTimes is that their propaganda isn’t even interesting,” Musk wrote in a tweet.

“Also, their feed is the Twitter equivalent of diarrhea. It’s unreadable,” Musk added. “They would have far more real followers if they only posted their top articles. Same applies to all publications.”
Taking lessons from the drumpf, I see.

Geezus. This world.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:34 pm
Working as intended.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is how I'm seeing it. The last two weeks in particular he has gone full on unhinged. At Mike Flynn levels and rising. I'm just waiting for him to get around to killing the Comedian at this point.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Remember when this was called “shadowbanning” and was absolutely the most egregious free speech violation that was uniquely targeting conservatives on Twitter?

Huh, wonder what changed…

malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder what the connection is?

Soros reminds me of Magneto
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:28 pm I wonder what the connection is?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior

Post by malchior »

What's getting hard to ignore is that the larger media players have largely avoided talking about how a fellow media oligarch has been tap dancing with antisemitism and racism.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:22 am What's getting hard to ignore is that the larger media players have largely avoided talking about how a fellow media oligarch has been tap dancing with antisemitism and racism.
But he's doing interviews with NBC now. He's suddenly gone to being media friendly like he is Tucker Carlson... Hmmm... Wonder what the connection is...
malchior

Post by malchior »

At least we have some idea how the OG car guy Henry Ford got away with it. No one cares how shitty you are as long as you can make them a car apparently.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:49 am At least we have some idea how the OG car guy Henry Ford got away with it. No one cares how shitty you are as long as you can make them a car apparently.
Perhaps a dumb question, but is Musk an antisemite? That Soros quote is stupid and is clearly anti-Soros, but I’m not in the camp that sees an attack on a Jew as an attack on all Jewish people. Maybe there’s a ton of awful antisemitic Elon Musk quotes out there and I’m just unaware, but Henry Ford set a pretty high bar. To compare Musk with Ford would require a lot for me to buy into that.

Also, I’m no Elon Musk apologist. I can’t stand the guy.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

First, criticism of Soros is almost entirely based on his ethnicity. It's "Jews control the banks" type racism.

Musk says racist things pretty regularly. Here he's speaking to his right wing supporters, who are assumed to know where the criticism of Soros comes from. I.e. If someone says "Soros sucks" everyone already understands that it actually means "Soros sucks because he's part of the Jewish cabal".

It's idiotic of course, but this is the world at present.

And this criticism of Soros is pure garbage. He hates humanity and wants to destroy civilization? Come on. It's straight from the drumpf book.

I know you are a lawyer and believe facts not in evidence aren't facts, but here it's pretty clear what Musk is saying, and why he is saying it. I *might* consider giving him the benefit of the doubt if he had anything substantive to say in his criticism, but no. Soros is bad because "assign random negative motivations to him".

Again, Soros is regularly targeted as a Jewish cabal member, and Musk knows this. Is Musk a racist or just using racists? Who cares?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:20 am Perhaps a dumb question, but is Musk an antisemite?
It's hard to say, exactly. Is Musk intentionally sending this message or is is adopting the language of people that are in order to signal-boost and get back at Soros for dumping Tesla stock?

Whether or not he genuinely believes half the things he posts on Twitter is probably something to be forever debated, but he sure does seem comfortable dropping references and using the language/memes of those that do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Someone would have to enlighten me on what Musk thinks he knows about Mageneto and Soros but Musk gets no benefit of the doubt from me. He made the statement for a reason. It's obviously tied to pulling investments but how that is ties Soros to Magneto... :?: for me.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am First, criticism of Soros is almost entirely based on his ethnicity. It's "Jews control the banks" type racism.

Musk says racist things pretty regularly. Here he's speaking to his right wing supporters, who are assumed to know where the criticism of Soros comes from. I.e. If someone says "Soros sucks" everyone already understands that it actually means "Soros sucks because he's part of the Jewish cabal".

And this criticism of Soros is pure garbage. He hates humanity and wants to destroy civilization? Come on. It's straight from the drumpf book.

I know you are a lawyer and believe facts not in evidence aren't facts, but here it's pretty clear what Musk is saying, and why he is saying it. I *might* consider giving him the benefit of the doubt if he had anything substantive to say in his criticism, but no. Soros is bad because "assign random negative motivations to him".

Again, Soros is regularly targeted as a Jewish cabal member, and Musk knows this. Is Musk a racist or just using racists? Who cares?
But Soros really is a billionaire funder of liberal, progressive causes, right? So Musk could rail against Soros for prominent reasons other than antisemitism.

I mean, I don’t doubt the antisemitism of many of those who attack him (especially when they also believe he is funding Jewish space lasers), but you can be anti-Soros without being antisemitic. I’d need to see more from Elon than his anti-Soros quotes to be comfortable judging him as antisemitic.

I’m very much anti-Koch, but that, in and of itself, doesn’t make me anti-Dutch.

[Full disclaimer: I am, actually, very much anti-Dutch, but my antipathy for the Koch brothers is not what makes me so.]
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you're going to make sweeping accusations without any justification that someone hates humanity and is working to erode the very fabric of our civilization, then you really can't whine and bitch when someone makes an equally sweeping generalization that you're doing so because you hate Jewish people.

Musk is just a troll. He knows full well he's making an antisemitic remark to get views. I might give someone else the benefit of the doubt, but Musk has burnt that bridge.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I have no idea whether Musk is genuinely anti-Semitic or is just pandering to his right-wing fanboys. Either way, he's a dirtbag.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Max Peck wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:29 pm I have no idea whether Musk is genuinely anti-Semitic or is just pandering to his right-wing fanboys. Either way, he's a dirtbag.
To expand on this, I don't think it matters whether Musk is an anti-Semite in his heart of hearts. Calling out Soros this way is a clear anti-Semitic dog whistle.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:59 am But Soros really is a billionaire funder of liberal, progressive causes, right? So Musk could rail against Soros for prominent reasons other than antisemitism.
Sure. but instead he decided to say that Soros hates humanity and is trying to destroy civilization. Those are definitely prominent reasons, I suppose.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:10 pm

Musk is just a troll. He knows full well he's making an antisemitic remark to get views. I might give someone else the benefit of the doubt, but Musk has burnt that bridge.
This. He loves controversy because it brings him attention, and he loves attention. He'll flap his lips while controversial statements pour our like water.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:29 pm I have no idea whether Musk is genuinely anti-Semitic or is just pandering to his right-wing fanboys. Either way, he's a dirtbag.
To expand on this, I don't think it matters whether Musk is an anti-Semite in his heart of hearts. Calling out Soros this way is a clear anti-Semitic dog whistle.
This is where I come from personally. We have a decent body of evidence that he speaks in well-known coded language to certain audiences. That's unacceptable (unless you're powerful enough apparently).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:59 am
GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am First, criticism of Soros is almost entirely based on his ethnicity. It's "Jews control the banks" type racism.

But Soros really is a billionaire funder of liberal, progressive causes, right? So Musk could rail against Soros for prominent reasons other than antisemitism.

I mean, I don’t doubt the antisemitism of many of those who attack him (especially when they also believe he is funding Jewish space lasers), but you can be anti-Soros without being antisemitic. I’d need to see more from Elon than his anti-Soros quotes to be comfortable judging him as antisemitic.

I’m very much anti-Koch, but that, in and of itself, doesn’t make me anti-Dutch.

[Full disclaimer: I am, actually, very much anti-Dutch, but my antipathy for the Koch brothers is not what makes me so.]
Soros is used in a similar way that people will sometimes attack "globalists". It's used all the time even in contexts when it's absurd to think that Soros himself is in any way involved. I suspect that some far right types use it because it's something that they've heard echoed a lot in right wing discussion, and so may not fully understand the background and what they're saying.

But as to Musk, the fact that he compared Soros to Magneto, who in the comics is a Jewish holocaust survivor, indicates that Musk is very aware of the Jewish component to this.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Washington Post covers this in...the Arts and Entertainment section. :?:

Whatever...but still good coverage including context about Musk being told he was spreading antisemitic misinformation in the past. He knows what he is doing.