[movie] Ant-Man: Quantumania

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Torfish

Re: [movie] Ant-Man: Quantumania

Post by Torfish »

My 16-year-old son and I went to watch on Friday night. Pack theater as always for first weekend Marvel movie. We did not like it. My son really hated it. I imagine it's because of burn out, but I don't like the continued joking and the plot line just conjures up anything that imaginable. There are hardly any rules. No character building either. The bad guy was the only good thing about it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Like the Guardians of Galaxy franchise, I actually think the Ant-Man stuff has been legit funny, in no small part due to Paul Rudd.

Is this one not even funny though? I can get past my fatigue if it makes me laugh (and well-written like first ones).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I thought it was pretty funny, especially [redacted] and [redacted]. Nothing as genius as Luis's motor-mouth flashbacks from the previous movies, though.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I laughed out loud at several moments, but this is more “generic marvel” funny and not “OG Ant Man” funny.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:14 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:31 am Watched it with my daughter which had no interest in Ant-Man movies. After watching it, she told me this is now her second favorite movie this year after Avatar 2.
Mrs Kub and I love the Ant-Man movies - Michael Pena steals the show in every scene he's in. I kind of want to see a montage of him explaining/being explained the Multiverse. We'll probably go this weekend.

Does anyone know if you should have seen Wakanda Forever first? We've had it on the Disney+ queue but haven't gotten to it yet. We've seen Loki and the rest of the Marvel Serieses, etc, just not Black Panther 2 yet.
We went to see it this weekend, and it was fun, tho the whole plot in the quantum realm was rather more Star Wars than Ant Man, I also missed Michael Pena and the X-Con Security consultants. Paul Rudd is such a great foil for so much comedy - the cast essentially elevates an otherwise mundane movie.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm I laughed out loud at several moments, but this is more “generic marvel” funny and not “OG Ant Man” funny.
Yeah, IMHO, it would have really been elevated if they kept Michael Pena and the X-Con consultants - such a missed opportunity not including them, but was fun regardless.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:39 pm
msteelers wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm I laughed out loud at several moments, but this is more “generic marvel” funny and not “OG Ant Man” funny.
Yeah, IMHO, it would have really been elevated if they kept Michael Pena and the X-Con consultants - such a missed opportunity not including them, but was fun regardless.
Very hard to add that in, given the plot and all the new characters introduced. They wouldn't have fit in very well either.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Brian

Post by Brian »

The only way they could have worked that in would have been for him to do the opening narration instead of (Scott Lang/Paul Rudd) but even that would have been a stretch.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I saw the movie this weekend and went in not expecting much. But instead I was very surprised, I loved it. Other than Spider Man - No Way Home, this was my favorite Marvel movie since the last Avengers movie, far better than The Eternals, or the Ten Rings, or Thor, or anything else. It has the right mix of humor and seriousness, which is hard to pull off. Kang was menacing and I think it going to be a great villain. As someone above said, this was a Marvel version of Star Wars - the plucky underdogs fighting the evil emperor - and the world they created was very interesting. IMO, the movie is much better than the reviews indicate and I'm not sure now the critics rated this movie so low. The Eternals was much worse and boring. This movie was anything but boring.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow. So you rate it higher than the previous Ant-Man movies? Bold stance, sir!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I saw Hitchiker's Guide to the Antman: Rickandmortia today. I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite the imaginatively confusing plot. It had some funny parts, and it pushed the MCU meta plot forward (it's about time - Phase 4 didn't really do much in that regard.) It wasn't a game changer or a mind-blower like some of the Marvel films have been, but it wasn't Iron Man 2/Thor: Dark World, either.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw it last week -- definitely need to check your brain at the door. The kids liked it well enough, but multicellular beings don't really fit in any way the definition of "quantum." Are we to believe Antman (or the others) have a sub-atomic spleen, for instance?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, there's this new theory going around, and it makes a lot of sense (although it may end up being just an easter egg.)

In the Quantum Realm, there were beings with colored crystal heads. You can see them in the background here, down at ground level:
Spoiler:
Altogether, there was one each of:
Spoiler:
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
Sound familiar?
Spoiler:
But wait, you say, weren't those destroyed?
Spoiler:
Captain Marvel: "Were are the stones?"

Thanos: "Gone. Reduced to atoms."
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Given what happened in the movie, I'm not sure I buy that theory.
Hodor.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Saw it. Liked it.
Should move the universe along nicely.
Also, how can you not love.....
Spoiler:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:22 pm Given what happened in the movie, I'm not sure I buy that theory.
Maybe not, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless. And to be honest, I don't remember if anything specifically happened to those six or not.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Blackhawk wrote:
pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:22 pm Given what happened in the movie, I'm not sure I buy that theory.
Maybe not, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless. And to be honest, I don't remember if anything specifically happened to those six or not.
I don't remember them really doing anything other than showing up. It would be an awfully strange thing to throw that in so subtly and it actually be important...more likely just a visual easter egg for people watching closely, but who knows... Image

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

disarm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pmImage
Tapatalk emojis don't come through to web browsing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

disarm wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
I don't remember them really doing anything other than showing up. It would be an awfully strange thing to throw that in so subtly and it actually be important...more likely just a visual easter egg for people watching closely, but who knows... Image
Isgrimnur wrote:
disarm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pmImage
Tapatalk emojis don't come through to web browsing.
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Yeah, that was my thought as well (although it did 'seed' them into there if they're ever needed in the future, which is a very MCU thing to do - dropping a gazillion possible future hooks along the way.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's kind of like running D&D. Sometimes you have some plot going on and the players latch onto an explanation that's completely off from what you wrote, they draw unintended conclusions from various elements of the story, and they seem enthusiastic about it... Well, sometimes the best move is to just change reality and let them be right!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

disarm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
The one with the yellow head was around a lot.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:42 pm It's kind of like running D&D. Sometimes you have some plot going on and the players latch onto an explanation that's completely off from what you wrote, they draw unintended conclusions from various elements of the story, and they seem enthusiastic about it... Well, sometimes the best move is to just change reality and let them be right!
When I was a DM, I would call an audible and change the script when the players proved able to envision a different reality (different from that which I devised). You actually want to encourage that in players.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Absolutely. When the players go out of their way to pursue something, they're telling you exactly what they find interesting. A good GM makes it happen.

Although I have no idea what "call an audible" means.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Foo'ball
"Calling an audible" is a term from American Football that refers to when the quarterback changes the play at the last minute due to how the defense is lining up. This is a last minute change that highly depends upon the ability of the quarterback to identify its necessity.
OMAHA!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. A sports thing - that would be why I didn't know it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mindeed
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think this is one of the best Star Wars films I’ve seen.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm I think this is one of the best Star Wars films I’ve seen.
I made that comment a few times myself during it. Especially near the end. I had to double check that I wasn't watching a Star Wars film. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

U.S. Actor Jonathan Majors arrested on domestic violence charges in New York City
Actor Jonathan Majors was arrested Saturday morning in New York City on allegations of domestic violence, authorities said.

The 33-year-old "Creed III" star was taken into custody on suspicion of strangulation, assault and harassment, the NYPD reported in a statement provided to CBS News.

The woman, who told officers she had been assaulted, was transported to a hospital with minor head and neck injuries, police said. She was in stable condition.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oof. There are some emergency meetings going on at Disney tonight. They built the entire next phase around him.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 am Oof. There are some emergency meetings going on at Disney tonight. They built the entire next phase around him.
eeeeek red alert! Time to pivot and find a replacement actor. How about someone totally non-controversial like…. Henry Cavill? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FWIW, Majors' attorney expects the charges to be dropped.
Majors’ attorney told CNN Sunday there are “two written statements from the woman recanting these allegations,” adding that they are presenting evidence to the DA including “video footage from the vehicle where this episode took place, witness testimony from the driver and others who both saw and heard the episode,”

Attorney Priya Chaudhry expects the charges to be dropped.
Hodor.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

They can easily recast him like how they recasted James Rhodes from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:39 pm They can easily recast him like how they recasted James Rhodes from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle.
Or the 1 1/2 recasts of Hulk.

The biggest possible difference being that those recasts happened between filming. I wonder how many MCU films he's in that have been partially shot and would need reshoots (with all of the associated budgetary issues), or which would be delayed by a recasting. Of course, they could probably take some existing shots and deepfake the new actor's face onto Major's, effectively turning him into a body double for himself.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:57 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:39 pm They can easily recast him like how they recasted James Rhodes from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle.
Or the 1 1/2 recasts of Hulk.

The biggest possible difference being that those recasts happened between filming. I wonder how many MCU films he's in that have been partially shot and would need reshoots (with all of the associated budgetary issues), or which would be delayed by a recasting. Of course, they could probably take some existing shots and deepfake the new actor's face onto Major's, effectively turning him into a body double for himself.
Or they could go cheap and just paste Kang’s blue mask over his face LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jonathan Majors Reportedly Dropped by Manager, PR Team Following Domestic Violence Arrest
According to a report from Deadline, Majors was let go from Entertainment 360 due to "issues surrounding the actor's personal behavior," the report reads. IGN has reached out to confirm.
After news of Majors' arrest surfaced, the U.S. Army pulled its Be All You Can Be ad campaign featuring the actor.
Majors recently starred in Creed III, and the actor is playing Kang the Conqueror in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He has made appearances in Loki Season 1 and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, and has already filmed Loki's second season. Deadline reports that there have been zero conversations at Marvel about dropping Majors from the MCU.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This guy had everything. He was amazing in everything I’d seen him in, and looked like he was on the verge of becoming hollywoods next big star.

All he had to do was not hit women, and it sure looks like he screwed it up.