RRR [Movie]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

RRR [Movie]

Post by Zaxxon »

I commented in the Netflix thread about this movie, as have others:
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:34 pm Holy shit, RRR. I'm 1 hour in and already :o :shock: :o :shock: :horse:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:43 pm Be sure to check out RRR. It's a ton of fun. Easily one of the best buddy comedy/historical drama/action epic/musicals I've ever seen. :D
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:34 pm Edit: Damn this looks good in 4K! And fuck you white British colonizer scum!
hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:06 pm Yeah, I need to remind myself to find that one. I've seen that clip before.

I still stand by my earlier assertion that Indian films are not my cup of tea. However, there are always exceptions to every rule.

You can point out a hundred things that are wrong about RRR, and I'll agree with most, if not all, of them. But it doesn't matter when you get to the fight scenes. They're beautifully shot, incredibly imaginative (to the point of being hilariously over the top at times...but entertainingly so, as opposed to annoyingly so), and more brutal than I would have thought they would be from previous experiences with Indian films.

And the song and dance is kept to a minimum (although there is a torture scene song that was actually pretty moving).

Also, they inform you at the start of the film that the animals in all the fight scenes are completely CGI...which is amazing when you watch the movie. That is some top shelf CGI, I have to say.
But this film really needs its own thread, so more of you fine folks discover it.

I'm not even going to put a trailer in, because you shouldn't watch it. Just free up about 3 hours, 5 minutes, and go in blind. You will not regret it.

If you must prepare yourself, watch this educational review targeted at us India-ignorant Americans. But really, save that for afterward, along with the soundtrack.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: RRR [Movie]

Post by Zaxxon »

This one, too...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The extended double decker Indian fight team near the end is worth the price of admission alone.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

English dub - I'll pencil it in.

Also, I love how your dust jacket has celebrity blurbs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:45 pm The extended double decker Indian fight team near the end is worth the price of admission alone.
Seconded.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:48 pm English dub - I'll pencil it in.

Also, I love how your dust jacket has celebrity blurbs.
AAA celebs, no less.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I laughed all thru the movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:21 pm I commented in the Netflix thread about this movie, as have
Neat how rather than linking the original thread I open an attempt to quote you. Who knew there was "mode=quote" and makes you wonder what else you can do in url = hyperlink?... Probably Fishpants... And Izzy....
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:40 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:21 pm I commented in the Netflix thread about this movie, as have
Neat how rather than linking the original thread I open an attempt to quote you. Who knew there was "mode=quote" and makes you wonder what else you can do in url = hyperlink?... Probably Fishpants... And Izzy....
Whups. I didn't mean to leave the link in quote mode--fixed!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:30 pm I laughed all thru the movie.
You have to at some of the outlandish stuff that occurs. But it's still a blast and Hollywood should be on the phone with their reps.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was laughing, too. It's incredibly over the top, but all I wanted was more MORE MOARRR! It's good over the top.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm intrigued. Would you recommend subtitles or the English dub? Part of me thinks the English version so I can pay more attention to the visuals, but...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I ALWAYS recommend subtitles. But I know some folks can't deal with watching a film and reading at the same time as it takes them out of things. But I cannot stand dubbing. Besides the often awful voice actors they hire, I just prefer to hear the natural cadence of the work's native tongue.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:06 am I'm intrigued. Would you recommend subtitles or the English dub? Part of me thinks the English version so I can pay more attention to the visuals, but...
I would take the default option that Netflix presented me, which is the English dub with English subtitles. You can read them when needed (eg for the songs which are not in English), and they can be clarifying for some of the characters whose English is not great, but you don't have to read the whole movie.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Isn't it interesting how much difference there can be with dubbing and closed cations?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's another reason I prefer subtitles. Often they'll try to "Americanize" things and something inevitably gets lost in the translation.
He won. Period.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I started this afternoon following Zaxxon's suggestion and I'm actually pretty happy with the quality of the English dub. The characters all speak with English with "appropriate" accents (Indian or British), and the translation seems good. I do have the English subtitles on for comparison (and to understand the song lyrics) and the dub seems to be much better. While the spoken English has totally normal wording and phrasing, the subtitles have a lot of awkward word choice and grammar.

As for the actual movie, I'm about 40 minutes in (just met the girl) and already love the idea and style. I can tell it's just getting started, and I'm eager to see what happens next.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm happy to hear they did a good job with the dubbing.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:26 pmI can tell it's just getting started, and I'm eager to see what happens next.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I watched it a second time last night. It still holds up
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RRR is... PG-13. An opportunity lost.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:28 pm RRR is... PG-13. An opportunity lost.
It is TV-MA on Netflix. DId not realize that lined up to PG-13. There are definitely some scenes I'd have thought would have merited an R.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: took me 15 minutes to get that. :clap:
He won. Period.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:36 pm
:lol: took me 15 minutes to get that. :clap:
Maybe they'll put out a Special Edition on Talk Like a Pirate Day, just for Blackhawk. :D
Conform or be cast out!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now that I think about it, xXx was PG-13, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember the 2nd movie, which started the odd attempt by Hollywood to make Ice Cube into an action hero who appeared to get winded after walking up a flight of stairs, let alone running down evil doers.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just watched it. Holy FN crap was that good. The last quarter of the movie was nuttttttssss.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Only kind of related, but I replaced my old soundbar with a Vizio 5.1 and it's freaking stunning how good it is for the 400 I paid for it. (Was 100 off so 500 regularly). This movie was an absolute showcase of what it can do for such a low pricepoint. I don't miss my complicated receiver setup at all. One remote... Nothing really much to tweak. Just plug and play. :lol:

3 hour movie and I would gladly watch it again with my daughter.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
disarm

Post by disarm »

I finally watched the final two hours of this tonight and holy shit what an awesome movie!

I'm not even sure what to say about it because so much just defies description, but RRR is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a very long time. So many twists in my story, ridiculous action, and the musical numbers...musical numbers that are almost as much crazy fun as the action scenes! Top it all off with acting that fit the style of the movie perfectly, and incredibly creative and often beautiful visuals, and I was absolutely glued to this movie from start to finish.

I really didn't know what to expect going in, but RRR far surpassed all my expectations. I'll be spreading the word for people to give it a chance and really hope it somehow gets the mainstream attention it deserves.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad you guys liked it. It's bonkers, and I can't wait to watch it again.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Octavious wrote:Only kind of related, but I replaced my old soundbar with a Vizio 5.1 and it's freaking stunning how good it is for the 400 I paid for it. (Was 100 off so 500 regularly). This movie was an absolute showcase of what it can do for such a low pricepoint. I don't miss my complicated receiver setup at all. One remote... Nothing really much to tweak. Just plug and play. Image

3 hour movie and I would gladly watch it again with my daughter.
I watched this with the volume cranked on my full surround system and it's pretty incredible...really great sound design.

I would gladly watch it again too...actually thinking about trying to talk my wife into giving it a chance.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Was just going to ask…

Should I just watch this alone, or should I try and get my wife and 12 yo daughter to watch it with me?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:57 am Was just going to ask…

Should I just watch this alone, or should I try and get my wife and 12 yo daughter to watch it with me?
I'd prob say alone first, loudly. I don't know your family so I'm not sure whether they'd be all-in or bring down the experience for you.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I have no idea what this movie is about, but I want to find out. What are the chances this is something my wife would want to watch as well?

Her general rules are (1) not too scary; (2) not too serious; (3) no violence to animals or children.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kurth wrote:I have no idea what this movie is about, but I want to find out. What are the chances this is something my wife would want to watch as well?

Her general rules are (1) not too scary; (2) not too serious; (3) no violence to animals or children.
1 - Not scary at all
2 - Definitely not too serious
3 - Some violence with animals around, but not directed at them...and the biggest scene with animals is one of the best parts of the movie

I've been debating whether to ask my wife to watch it. I think she would enjoy it if she gave it a chance, but convincing her to give an over the top, three-hour Indian movie even the time it takes to get hooked will likely be a challenge.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Convincing Michelle to watch any three hour movie that doesn't have a Marvel logo in it is a lost cause. I'll likely just watch it with the kids.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:27 am no violence to animals or children.
Every animal in any action scenes are CGI. There’s a big disclaimer about that at the end of the film.

There are some kids in peril scenes though. One of those scenes is what triggers the whole movie.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:50 am Convincing Michelle to watch any three hour movie that doesn't have a Marvel logo in it is a lost cause. I'll likely just watch it with the kids.
Marvel would be so lucky to get their logo on this one.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 am
Kurth wrote:I have no idea what this movie is about, but I want to find out. What are the chances this is something my wife would want to watch as well?

1 - Not scary at all
2 - Definitely not too serious
3 - Some violence with animals around, but not directed at them...and the biggest scene with animals is one of the best parts of the movie

I've been debating whether to ask my wife to watch it. I think she would enjoy it if she gave it a chance, but convincing her to give an over the top, three-hour Indian movie even the time it takes to get hooked will likely be a challenge.
We got half way through RRR tonight. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. It's pretty amazing. And my wife likes it, too!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:14 am
Unagi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:57 am Was just going to ask…

I'd prob say alone first, loudly. I don't know your family so I'm not sure whether they'd be all-in or bring down the experience for you.
Just finished watching it (alone).

OMG. I so enjoyed that. Just gourmet entertainment. There are seriously so many nuances to my enjoyment that I will fail to articulate the experience.
Is it serious?: Hell yes, but it gives it to you perfectly.
Does it take itself too seriously?: OMG not at all, there are so many times to smile at its own absurdity that you are wonderfully kept aloft by the true beauty of the story.
Is it heavy/graphic with its violence?: Well - yeah - It has its moments for sure, but it's not without relief and levity.
Is it eye-opening? It absolutely is without a doubt the most fun you can have while embracing the truly horrific British Raj (perhaps overplayed in places, but really doesn't lie).
Is it fun to watch? OMG - this was just so hard NOT to watch. I couldn't believe how much I just wanted to keep watching and how sad I was 2.5 hours into it to think it was going to end soon.

So, to answer my own question...
Should you watch it with your family? The risk isn't really so much as "Will they like it?", but more of a "Will I like them if they don't?"... So you were 100% right, Zaxxon. Watch it alone first and have your fun... then - decide if you want to know if you have a family that can enjoy this or not. Having loved it so much, I'm not entirely sure I want to find out... I think I may need to find out. It's too good to enjoy alone and not know.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Amazing post. 10/10, no notes.