The Yearly Computer Clean

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

The Yearly Computer Clean

Post by Brian »

It was time, once again, for the yearly computer cleaning.
Having an open design case with cats in the house was maybe not the best idea.

Enlarge Image

Lots of dust/fur gets trapped in the radiator.

Enlarge Image

Like, lots...

Enlarge Image

Ah, nice and clean again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
YellowKing

Re: The Yearly Computer Clean

Post by YellowKing »

I just did this with mine but it had been more like 3 years (and a move). However, I took the opportunity to replace a couple of old fans and that was a game changer. I had become so accustomed to the noise of the old ones I didn't realize how jacked up they were. She's purring like a kitten now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My dusty office should require me to clean out my PC more often than I do. There's one fan that clatters against the card right below it. The tolerance is next-to-nothing; slipping a credit card (non-magnetic!) between them is enough of a gap, but a couple of months' worth of dust is enough to make it drop down a millimeter.

It only clatters on boot-up because my computer never gets hot enough in routine use to spin up the video card's fan so it's not a big enough motivator to clean all the filters and pass a vacuum cleaner over the open case.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With four people and two birds in an old house, I clean mine every couple of months. I need my components to last a long time, so I'm very cautious of heat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

All that grey stuff is you. One thing I do is not put mypc near the floor. Also make sure its fully enclosed.

A shop vac works well. You can suck and blow. Just make sure you do it on a nice dry day. Works better than can of air.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have birds. Most of my gray stuff is feather dust.

I also have my system closed and filtered, but I do keep it on the floor - it's considerably cooler down there, plus it is quieter and doesn't require extra furniture.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

I also have a bird in close proximity to the PC as well as a cat restricted to the same room the pc is in.

However, we have been considering moving the computers (my wife also has her computer in the same room) into the living room since that room sees almost no use.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Camulos

Post by Camulos »

I personally delete spam all the time.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Did mine this weekend. Shop vac and compressor. I checked the temps running WOW ships at port. CPU was 47 and Fan speed of GPU was 3013 RPM. Afterwards my cpu dropped to 37c and fan speed dropped to 1813. Much quieter now. :horse:

Just shows you how much cleaning the water cooler radiator grill and GPU heat sink does.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.